Are sandles and/or crocs acceptable in dining rooms?

carlielyn

Yes.. clown shoes.

If you can afford a cruise, you can't afford decent shoes? Sorry, not buying that. I did a quick google search and found plenty of decent orthopedic shoes that are under a hundred dollars.

And, you tested these decent orthopedic shoes?

Perhaps, you should walk in the shoes of those who have serious foot problems.

I, like you, do not have foot problems.

The difference is...I sympathize with those who do.

Instead of critizing them.

We all have different priorities and opinions.

I can sympathize- I have to run up and down flights of stairs in family court all day long- dragging a wheeled briefcase behind me. I have the worst bunions and definitely need surgery- but can't afford to be off my feet for a month.

I wear these http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/11069615/c/632.html (Skechers). They come in about 8 colors.

HOWEVER, when I am in Supreme Court, or I have a trial, I wear more lawyer-like shoes (heels, pumps).

My point: comfort is ALMOST everything... but for the important places, you gotta dress the part.

Dining room: sandals YES. Crocs? No way.

And, you tested these decent orthopedic shoes?

Perhaps, you should walk in the shoes of those who have serious foot problems.

I, like you, do not have foot problems.

The difference is...I sympathize with those who do.

Instead of critizing them.

We all have different priorities and opinions.

I absolutely DO sympathise with those with foot problems.. my mother has foot problems.

No, I didn't test them out, but my mom did. She has horrible feet and can't wear normal shoes. But she always looks "smashing" when we go to dinner. You can find very nice orthopedic shoes-- as she has. Nobody would ever know she has foot problems.

I showed her this thread, and she made the comment that the Crocs at dinner are just an excuse. She also made the point-- of which I didn't think of-- that most women's dress shoes hurt-- and she was talking about the shoes those of us who have "normal" feet wear-- yet we put up with them for an hour or two in a nice restaurant.

P.S. Much to my horror, she informed me she bought a pair of Crocs, but she said she only wears them to garden and to walk the dog, and wouldn't dream of wearing them in a restaurant. <whew!>

Which leads to another question: As women, why have we let the fashion industry dictate to us that we have to wear "dress shoes that hurt?" For those of you lucky enough to be able to fit your feet into pointy-toed, high-heeled shoes, why do you continue to wear them when you know they lead to future foot problems?

My Mother also has foot problems. She was born with a mis-shapen foot, and the older she gets, the more crooked it becomes. She probably should have had it operated on years ago, but didn't choose to. These days, her choice of shoes that she can physically get on are limited to cloth-type "keds" and slippers. She hasn't tried Crocs because she doesn't feel safe in the open back/sling back type shoes (she's 89). If her health still allowed her to cruise, should she be banned from the main dining room for wearing her sneakers?

Personally, I seldom look at other people's feet. I couldn't tell you if the other passengers on our cruise were wearing expensive dress shoes, sandals, crocs, or sneakers. It just plain doesn't matter to me. For those of you who really care, might I say that you remind me of my teenage son, who scopes out the sneakers of everyone he sees to determine if they're wearing the latest pair of Michael Jordan's shoes -- or whatever the popular style is these days. I've never understood the sense in that, and I don't see the purpose of worrying about what someone else is wearing on their feet :D .

She hasn't tried Crocs because she doesn't feel safe in the open back/sling back type shoes (she's 89). If her health still allowed her to cruise, should she be banned from the main dining room for wearing her sneakers?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Besides sneakers are ok in the dining rooms on NCL ships ;) (even though I normally wear dress shoes to dinner-but that's my choice)

ute_fan-I think you have the correct outlook on shoes (among other things)

-Monte

Which leads to another question: As women, why have we let the fashion industry dictate to us that we have to wear "dress shoes that hurt?" For those of you lucky enough to be able to fit your feet into pointy-toed, high-heeled shoes, why do you continue to wear them when you know they lead to future foot problems?

My Mother also has foot problems. She was born with a mis-shapen foot, and the older she gets, the more crooked it becomes. She probably should have had it operated on years ago, but didn't choose to. These days, her choice of shoes that she can physically get on are limited to cloth-type "keds" and slippers. She hasn't tried Crocs because she doesn't feel safe in the open back/sling back type shoes (she's 89). If her health still allowed her to cruise, should she be banned from the main dining room for wearing her sneakers?

Personally, I seldom look at other people's feet. I couldn't tell you if the other passengers on our cruise were wearing expensive dress shoes, sandals, crocs, or sneakers. It just plain doesn't matter to me. For those of you who really care, might I say that you remind me of my teenage son, who scopes out the sneakers of everyone he sees to determine if they're wearing the latest pair of Michael Jordan's shoes -- or whatever the popular style is these days. I've never understood the sense in that, and I don't see the purpose of worrying about what someone else is wearing on their feet :D .

I'm sorry that dressing appropriately isn't of concern anymore. It is to me. It makes me sad that gracious living is disappearing in this country.

I do, however, agree with you on some of the shoes designed for women. I remember reading a history of high heels for women, and it said that they were designed to make women more "sexual" by altering the way they stand. <trying to be "G" rated here> that they push out the woman's posterior.

I don't wear the pointy stelleto "wizard of oz" shoes, nor do I wear heels. I have knee problems from an athletic injury, but I don't wear Crocs... I wear dressy flats to dinner.

My point-- you can find appropriate shoes for dinner. Crocs aren't appropriate in a dining room.

I'm sorry that dressing appropriately isn't of concern anymore. .

Let's not be so judgemental! In my opinion if it falls within the acceptable range of the cruise line policy...It is appropriate. But of course, my opinion isn't any more or less important than anyone elses.

-Monte

My other comment about this has to do with the cruise line we're talking about. NCL encourages "resort casual". I don't wear jeans in the dining room. I do "dress up" for formal night -- not in necessarily formal attire, but I think I look presentable. My choice on our last cruise was a long, black skirt with godet pleats, paired with a blue sweater top. Would it have been formal enough for other lines -- probably not. That's why I LOVE Norwegian, and that's the line we're talking about here. Would I choose to wear crocs in the dining room on another line? Very possibly not, but I happen to feel that they fit into NCL's dress code just fine.

I'd love to be able to find a comfortable pair of dressy flats that make my feet look pretty. Unfortunately, the way my feet are shaped, I bulge out over the top of them, even in wide widths. To me, the look of my feet in crocs is an improvement. As far as I'm concerned, most feet aren't particularly pretty, yet plenty of people who probably shouldn't display them in sandals and thongs do so, and I have yet to see criticism of misshapen toes, ugly toenails, and feet badly in need of a pedicure on this board.

On another subject -- Monte, if you're still monitoring this thread, would you mind dropping me an email? I have a question that is totally off the subject of this thread that I think you can answer for me. TIA! My email link is in my signature line.

I'm sorry that dressing appropriately isn't of concern anymore. It is to me. It makes me sad that gracious living is disappearing in this country.

I do, however, agree with you on some of the shoes designed for women. I remember reading a history of high heels for women, and it said that they were designed to make women more "sexual" by altering the way they stand. <trying to be "G" rated here> that they push out the woman's posterior.

I don't wear the pointy stelleto "wizard of oz" shoes, nor do I wear heels. I have knee problems from an athletic injury, but I don't wear Crocs... I wear dressy flats to dinner.

My point-- you can find appropriate shoes for dinner. Crocs aren't appropriate in a dining room.

I do get your point on gracious living, and I do see a decline in how people present themselves in public, but I have learned to not care as much about it. For example my last trip to Las Vegas, we went to a nice show, we dressed very nice, as our night on the town, but at least half were in shorts, and tank tops, and fanny packs, at the time it bugged the heck out of me, now it seems very trivial, I must have grown a bit in the last few years. For me gracious living has more to do with your actions, and how you treat others, not as much about how you dress. :)

My nephew graduated from marine boot camp, I attended dressed very nice, but let me tell you, after a day in my really nice cap-toe oxfords, I could barely walk, I drove the four hours home with my shoes off, but for an occasion like this, it was worth it, for a freestyle resort casual cruise probably not.:D

MAC

Dressing appropriately means to dress as YOU see fit, not dressing the some stuck up snob thinks you should dess.

As far as gracious living, if it means people will no longer attempt to show off and thinking they are important by dressing up, then I say, GREAT!

Crocs are appropriate if you feel comfortable in them. Crocs are not appropriate if you are a snob.

Dressing appropriately means to dress as YOU see fit, not dressing the some stuck up snob thinks you should dess.

As far as gracious living, if it means people will no longer attempt to show off and thinking they are important by dressing up, then I say, GREAT!

Crocs are appropriate if you feel comfortable in them. Crocs are not appropriate if you are a snob.

Posting appropriately means not launching personal attacks.

As far as I know, "stiletto" is a sharp, pointed instrument:confused: Cannot find a definition of "wizard of oz" re: sitlettos.

Tried to find Crocs defined as "clown shoes":confused:

What dictionary do you use???

FLATS in dining rooms tsk...tsk!

I, personally, never dine in flats...land or sea;)

Well said!

I hope I never see the day that I start judging people by their shoes/dress. What a sad day that would be.

My daughter's future MIL just started wearing crocs. She suffers terribly from heel spurs and the crocs are helping her.

It certainly did not change my opinion of her..still a lovely person.

Good to know she can sail NCL without a problem:)

As far as I know, "stiletto" is a sharp, pointed instrument:confused: Cannot find a definition of "wizard of oz" re: sitlettos.

Tried to find Crocs defined as "clown shoes":confused:

What dictionary do you use???

FLATS in dining rooms tsk...tsk!

I, personally, never dine in flats...land or sea;)

Here ya go!

Crocs = Clown shoes

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/fashion/articles/2006/08/10/cut_the_clown_shoes/

"Wizard of Oz" Stillettos

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4153/is_20060809/ai_n16658583

Flat shoes are the height of fashion

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12418840/

:D

I would suggest not wearing crocs or sandals to dinner. Sneakers maybe on first night b/c it is more casual. Or maybe nice leather sandals with linen pants. Not that I would look bad at someone that wore sneakers or very casual shoes but you might feel under dressed compared to some.

Cruises have gotten more casual over the years so don't worry too much.

Have fun on your first cruise. You'll be hooked!!

Sorry...NOT definitions;)

What a SURPRISE:)

Unless someone plans on putting their feet on the table during the meal I neither care nor notice what type of shoes they may have on. I also don't spend my dinner time looking under the table to see if I approve of everyone's choice of footware.

so quick question, you look to other people to tell you what you should wear?

Archived