Tour with David and Ivan

cruise scientist

I know the tour is to last about 5 hours. Does this leave time to see the city, too? We will be on the NCL Sun and leaving at 5 or 6. Thanks!!

There isn't a "city" but there is a fairly pleasant little beach front village (nice beach) and there is also a tourist shopping area and pool at the port itself.

I know the tour is to last about 5 hours. Does this leave time to see the city, too? We will be on the NCL Sun and leaving at 5 or 6. Thanks!!

I have not been on it, but I think it is more like 4 hours...unless you upgrade to the "mayan home" addition where they take you to a family home visit??

I have read lots of reviews where people had time to visit mayahual village/cat's meow or whatever after the tour....you can also email the guys there I guess (as others say, it may take a week or so cause of their internet problems ) hth

I also hate to say it but I wonder if they may have TOO much info, have gotten too much into their "talks"?? I like history, but I don't want a degree in Mayan Culture LOL

and (putting on flame suit) maybe they should read some of these posts...and tailor their tours to be a bit less structured and pedantic...

It will be interesting to keep reading the various reviews tho...so thanks to all and keep em comin <grin>

No flaming, but the purpose of the tour is to give you some insight into the Mayan culture, not just let you scamper around on the pyramids. I'm not usually into history or museums, but I found Ivan's talk to be fascinating, not pedantic or structured at all. If you're not interested in it, that's fine, you can do a self-guided tour of the ruins, although I think you would miss out on a lot. Just MHO.

...the purpose of the tour is to give you some insight into the Mayan culture, ...

Well, no, as I keep explaining to erudite and sincere tour guides around the world ... I AM a tacky tourist! The purpose of the tour is to keep me entertained for a few hours, and give me a chance to take a few cool pictures ...;)

If I really wanted to learn all that much about the Mayan culture, I would read some books on it ... (well, actually, I have ... David and I had a nice little side chat about the mathematical position of Venus in the Mayan calendar ... but I afraid few tourists were interested in that ... ) I pretty much thought Carolina and David had a really good balance between too much information and too little information, and between standing and listening and climbing pyramids! Basically the tour fulfilled its purpose -- it kept me entertained for a few hours!

Thanks, David and Carolina!;)

You know....I don't see why people on these boards get this "propriatary" attitude towards tour guides

I mentioned the "too much talk and stand around" cause lately that is what reviews have said...

I do think that some people may have been "turned off" by the unorganized pick up point....just like with a cruise review, when the embarkment is messed up it can sour the whole cruise...

sooo...when people are standing around the port, or getting on and off buses and looking for the guides etc....that may have influenced them to not enjoy the tour as much

another point : reading old reviews of this tour (and yes, I looked a few up)....it seems as if they had LESS people on the tours and were more relaxed

Listening to a talk in a smaller group may be more fun than with a larger group, more time for questions etc

I do read up on things before I visit...I am not just planning to "scamper" around LOL>> just as I enjoy finding out stuff about the tours.

I guess after 2012 none of us will have to worry...after all that is when the Mayan Calendar "ends" LOL

Til then, enjoy cruising and planning cruises <grin>

other input appreciated...thanks

As I was going through pictures of our cruise sent to us by a cruise mate I found this picture of our guide David at Chacchoben ruins.

Take a look and see if you believe that he is truly a descendant of the ancient Maya?;)

Maya Profile

Loved the profile of David compared with the profile of Mayans from a stone carving. I hadn't noticed it before, but that picture provides just the right angle for a comparison. Thanks for sharing it.

Our family of 7 (3 grandparents, two parents, grandkids 15 and 12) booked a tour with Ivan about a month before our cruise on the Miracle in December. The tour was a highlight of the trip for all of us.

We did take the van from the port to the Cat's Meow for $3 per person. When we got there, they offered us drinks and Ivan arrived in a few minutes. We had a minibus that held 9 of us, including another couple from the ship who had booked in advance.

Ivan was a wonderful guide and very thoughtful. The van was cool and comfortable for the 45 minute ride to the ruins. His descriptions of the ruins and other information about Mayan culture were wonderful for all age groups. One of our group wasn't able to walk the entire tour, but there were plenty of places to sit and rest.

The tour was $43 per person (plus tip) and Ivan returned us to the dock at the end. There would have been plenty of time to return to the village and explore, but we decided to get back to the ship. I think we were gone about 5 hours.

Here's the website: http://www.chacchobenruins.com/default.html.

Thanks for the link. Is there much to see at this ruins since it is so new? I see it is 50 minutes each way. So at the most two hours travel time. What do you do the other three hours?

It was actually maybe 40 minutes travel time. Carolina had a wealth of information to impart as we traveled, everything from Maya history to agriculture, ancient and modern. When you arrive at the site of course there is a bathroom break, and then the tour begins.

David was our guide, and we took about two hours to make the full circuit. We started at the main pyramid and walked slowly around the loop. Here is the site map Chacchoben Map, and check our pics at The Halls Western Caribbean Cruise. Basically, you have the main pyramid, the main plaza, several mounds that are as yet unexplored, and then toward the end you have the chance to climb the big flight of steps to the buildings on the top, and that takes up a bit of time. David had very interesting stuff to say at each point, and there is a lot to look at, so the two hours was a very nice length of time to take. Pretty much when you get back to the parking lot there is barely time to shop just a bit, make one restroom stop, and start back. That will make up the four hour tour, ending either in Mahahual or at the dock.

For the five hour Mayan Experience you continue on about 20 minutes over the back roads to the Maya village of Chacchoben, and have a pre-Hispanic meal [ unfortunately ours was rained out :-( ] so that fills in the time. They are very prompt and reliable and you will be back at the ship at the time promised. We loved it!

Have a GREAT cruise!

I just tried contacting David and Ivan for the first time today. I just got so wrapped up with the holidays that I never got around to doing it before. We leave for our cruise in 2 weeks and will be in Costa Maya on the 17th. Have I left myself enough time to make this reservation? I will be anxiously awaiting their reply.

So, if by chance we aren't able to get this tour, are there other tour operators at the dock that anyone suggests trying? I will be so bummed if we can't get in with David and Ivan as I've been hearing so many wonderful things about them on the boards.

Is there enough time to hit any of the beaches after the tours? It sounds like Costa Maya has some of the nicest. We will also be stopping in Cozumel and Belize. Oh, and also Nassau.

Thanks so much!

I just tried contacting David and Ivan for the first time today. I just got so wrapped up with the holidays that I never got around to doing it before. We leave for our cruise in 2 weeks and will be in Costa Maya on the 17th. Have I left myself enough time to make this reservation? I will be anxiously awaiting their reply.

So, if by chance we aren't able to get this tour, are there other tour operators at the dock that anyone suggests trying? I will be so bummed if we can't get in with David and Ivan as I've been hearing so many wonderful things about them on the boards.

Is there enough time to hit any of the beaches after the tours? It sounds like Costa Maya has some of the nicest. We will also be stopping in Cozumel and Belize. Oh, and also Nassau.

Thanks so much!

I think you will be OK. David and Ivan are very reliable, even if their internet connection is not! If you miss contact with them, get off the ship right after it docks and ask for them at the bus depot and you might get lucky!

If you do the four hour morning tour, there should be time to visit the town and sit on the beach a bit, depending on exactly what hours your ship is in port!

Check out the new Playa Mia Beach Club in Cozumel. We loved the Mexican cooking excursion there, but you can also just visit for the beach and water sports.

Here is our report and pics; The Halls Western Caribbean

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike, Thank you so much for your reply and all the help you've offered on my previous posts. I enjoyed your trip website, also very informative and helpful.

You are a gem and a real asset to these boards! Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out!

Do you think my third grade daughter would enjoy this tour? She is a gifted child and doing 5th grade curricula, and interested in history. She has been wanting to tours the ruins since she read the American Girl book Jess.

LOL -- she sounds so much like our daughter -- 20 years ago! We took Andréa on the Mississippi Queen and she loved it!

You are the only one who can judge your daughter's patience. It is about a 45 minute ride out to the ruins, and there is some scenery but it is not spectacular. Then at the ruins it is about a 2 hour tour. The first hour consists of the pyramid and the central plaza. There are lots of things to look at, but the guide also spends quite a bit of time talking. Then there is a nice walk through the "jungle" to the BIG steps up to the second plaza. I think a kid would love those -- can you keep up with her going up all those steps??

So all in all, I don't see why a third grader with reasonable manners and powers of concentration shouldn't have a great time at Chacchoben. I think the smaller group situation with David and Ivan would be much better for her.

I bet if you get her a book on Maya history she will have more intelligent questions to ask David than many of the adults on the trip!

;o)

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike - I loved your website! A question for your about the drive to Chacchoben - how are the roads? We took our kids on an excursion in Jamaica last year and our younger sons became carsick due to the combination of bad roads and "wild" driving. In all our travels, that's the first time we had that problem with our kids. I just want to be prepared...

Mike - I loved your website! A question for your about the drive to Chacchoben - how are the roads? We took our kids on an excursion in Jamaica last year and our younger sons became carsick due to the combination of bad roads and "wild" driving. In all our travels, that's the first time we had that problem with our kids. I just want to be prepared...

The roads are good. Well paved, smooth, not bumpy at all. Most of the ride is on a well maintained highway. When we went on the tour we were transported in a very comfortable newer tourist bus that was very comfortable. The ride is on flat roads, no hills and most of the ride is straight with minimal turns.

Belize on the other hand....worst roads I've ever encourtered, and that's saying alot.

They have nice minivans, very comfortable, and the roads are very good, well paved and pretty straight, not curvy, and the drivers are excellent. If you do the "Mayan Experience" part of it (which I recommend) it is on dirt roads back into the country to the village, but they really are not bad and the driver is very slow and careful. So it was no problem.

Vmom -- if you thought Belize was scary you should have been in Kenya with us! The roads in the game parks are just dirt, full of bumps and mudholes, but the guide goes pretty slowly looking for game. It was when we got back on the "highway" that it got really scary! There are some patches of asphalt but they have huge potholes, and then turn into gravel without warning, and the driver is really moving along, swerving to avoid potholes when he can. He explained to us that the wife of the president of the country got to hand out the contracts for road building to her cronies! ;)

We just returned from the Dec 24 NCL Sun. It was a great trip. We book with David and Ivan for the Chacchoben extreme tour. We were told to meet at the Cat's Meow restaurant. We took a taxi into town, and went to the restaurant. When we arrived the folks at the restaurant seemed perplexed to see us. They called the David, who asked to speak with us on the phone. He appologized, and said the tour was now departing from the pier. He offered to pay for our Taxi back to the pier. As there were 6 of us we took two cabs back to the pier. One went directly back, but the other went through a milatiary check point and didn't stop, unitl we tried again to explain we wanted the CRUISE ship port. He turned around and we finally met up with the others at the pier.

We were ushered onto a bus with 30 others. We had booked the extreme tour- to include a small van and kayakking. On the bus we asked about this, and were told there was a transportation issue that day. No vans were available. We were to take the tour with the others, and get a van from Chacchoben to the Kayakking place. The tour was wonderful. David was very good at explaining all about the site and the history. When it was time to leave, no van was available to do the kayakking, and the time was late.

David made it right by charging a discounted rate ($35 as opposed to $43) for the trip. But... it wasn't the trip we had booked. What we got was wonderful, but if you book anything other than the standard tour- check and double check that you are getting what you booked.

I completed the online reservation form at David & Ivan's website, and they replied via email to me. But I'm concerned that our ship (Legend) is scheduled to dock at Costa Maya at 10AM, and the tour leaves Majahual at 11AM.

I suppose that if the scheduled dock time is 10AM ET, and Costa Maya is in the Central time zone, then we probably have enough time to get off the ship and taxied to the village. But is one hour enough? It seems like this might not be enough time.

I'm still a little confused about ship time vs. local time. Thanks to anyone that sort this out for me.

Archived