Sail away - deck or balcony?

crosstown1

So we're on the Diamond on Feb. 10, and have our first balcony (B742, aft port), and wondering if we should be on deck at sail or is it more fun to enjoy the balcony?

What does everyone else like to do?

If the weather is good, go up on deck. Plenty of time to sit on the balcony later.

So we're on the Diamond on Feb. 10, and have our first balcony (B742, aft port), and wondering if we should be on deck at sail or is it more fun to enjoy the balcony?

What does everyone else like to do?

We like to be up on deck....you can see both sides.....on your balcony....you only see one side.

We do both. One of my favorite parts of the cruise is to pop the bottle of champagne we bring on board with us and enjoy the sail away on our balcony. We always get wonderful shots with our camera on our priviate deck...

Thne once out to sea we head down to the pool deck where all the party activities are still underway.

For the first sailaway, I always want to be out on an open deck with others. It's a moot point on our upcoming Sun Princess cruise since we'll have an inside cabin on it. But even when we have had a balcony, we're always out on an open deck for the first sailaways and usually for the others as well.

Usually we opt for the open deck experience, but since we sail from San Juan at 11 p.m. and have friends in the cabin next to ours, this time around we're kicking around opening the connecting door between the balconies and hosting all our friends on the 2 balconies in a "pajama party" sailaway! LOL!

We have cabin E723 on the Star. This is our first cruise. Will we be able to see anything from this balcony or not?

Will the ship leave on time or how do you know it's leaving, besides it starts moving LOL. Does it sound a horn or something? Don't want to miss it!

Either way is fun. On deck is great if the weather is nice. A balcony party can be fun, too, if you want some privacy or you have a couple of friends to join you. We normally get involved in the roll call threads for our cruises and the group size dictates we find a large space to get together for sailaway.

We usually use our balcony when arriving and leaving from ports on the way.

On two of our last three cruises, DH and I have met with our CC roll call group right after the muster drill. We met at Outriggers on the CB wearing Mardi Gras beads to identify ourselves.

Planning to meet with roll call members when we sail on the Dawn in January. We hope the weather cooperates so we are able to be on deck at the Riviera Bar as we sail under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Bon Voyage! 57 more days!

Chris

We have never had a balcony, too expensive, but we love it on deck at sailaway waving to the people on land, having a cold lager and talking to everybody up there, that's what cruising is all about, mixing, I reckon having a balcony cabin can sometimes keep you out of the social stuff, but that is only my opinion. I enjoy trying to meet everybody on the ship, which is difficult.!! That is why we go for the longer cruises as you can see below, more social.:cool:

Best wishes from down under.:)

Archived