Beware, suitcase robbed

mcsea

Surely someone would see a worker shlepping a case somewhere relatively private to rifle through it........unless of course they are all in it together? Maybe some kind of luggage theft ring??

This is really scary as I am going to fly into San Juan in February. I have size 11 feet so I am not worried about having my amazonian shoes stolen!

I don't use any luggage locks....thinking maybe I should??? :rolleyes:

Several years ago, I bought a large suitcase on wheels, which I used for a few cruises and other travel. While packing it a couple of years ago, the "pull" part of the zipper came off, and I could/can only open or close it by using my hands (and ruining my fingernails) to open and close it. And, it only opens about 3/4 of the way. Before this, I had several items missing (mainly clothes), but since the "pull" part of the zipper is no longer there, NO ONE wants to go near it, because it is such a pain in the butt to open and close! It does take me longer to pack and unpack, and I can't even open the thing the whole way, but I never have had to lock it or worry about it. Plus, it is now so shabby looking that I'm sure TSA/ship personnel/port workers think that I am just a cheap passenger whose family felt obligated to bring along and pay for. Little do they know!

We never lock our bags until we land at the port. Simply put I would rather have them not destroy my luggage to get in. Locks can be cut..

We never lock our bags.... plus we never have anything in them we worry about losing. Who wants my underwear and socks ??? :confused:

My psychology is locks advertise there is something in there and I do not want you in there. ;) What bag would you rob... the one with locks or the one without.

Years back when CB radios were the rage.... I installed my $30 CB with twist off thumb nuts for easy removal. My thought was take my $30 CB by do not destroy my $600 dash getting it. :eek:

I always lock my bags with cable ties so I know if someone has been in them. I'm not convinced using locks are any advantage. Last year TSA went through several of my bags and left their note markers. I went absolutely beserk going through one of the bags in which I had been sure I packed a small box (larger than a tissue box size) with 4 library books. I finally concluded I must have left it home on the desk, but I would have sworn it was the last thing I'd packed.

Anyway, when I got home, it wasn't where I thought I might have left it. So I contacted the TSA and after multiple calls (and a letter) I finally found out that they had it in their "lost and found". No apology, no attempt to contact me, even though there were slips in each book with my name, the library address & phone #, which they could have followed up. The box even had an old shipping label on it with my name and address. They didn't care one bit that they had "carelessly" left something out, and in fact were very nasty about the whole thing. When I wrote a letter to a superviser to complain, she sent me a photostat of the library slips saying my books were "obviously overdue" by the time I'd returned home, to which I wrote back that she apparently had no familiarity with my library system which allows renewal by phone or online 2 times but you need the barcode numbers from the books or slips. How interesting they had time to photostat those slips before they returned by books (took 3 weeks), but no one cared when they were "lost" by the TSA to try to locate an "owner".

If my items had not been so identifiable (book names, library slips with my name), I wonder if I would have even been able to get confirmation that TSA had them in their possession.

I wonder what other really valuable or unidentified owner items are in their lost and found!! Anyway, something else to consider if you're missing something and TSA has been through your bag.

This is the reason we will not cruise out of San Juan anymore. The first and only time we left from this port, we had things stolen from our luggage. We were sailing with another cruiseline at that time. Another couple with us also had things stolen from their luggage. We have been on 17 cruises, and that was the only time we had a problem. My d/h believes it happened when our luggage was taken directly from the ship to the airport by way of a truck. So don't jump to the conclusion it was the airlines.

We always carry anything of value, cameras, ipods, jewelry, etc. on our carryon. I would never trust anyone, you never know what happens once you relinquish your bags.

On a side note I was really mad this year during a golf trip when I went to take the dozen balls I had packed out of my bag and they weren't there. I was trying to figure out if they were taken out by someone at the airport or the TSA. I didn't have a TSA card in my bag, which I always had before. The mystery was solved when I called home and my wife said they were on the floor in the basement next to where I packed my bag.

I use the philosophy that I never pack anything that I would not be upset about losing in my checked luggage.......because there is a good possibility that it might get stolen. I take very few valuables while traveling.....and carry them with me in my carryon bag.

Those desiring to pilfer luggage have the means to cut/remove/destroy any locking device with little or no effort.

Absolutely. Cable ties, TSA locks, etc. are zero deterrent. A ball point pen can poke open the zipper track of any soft sided luggage. You could weld the zippers together and it wouldn't matter. Those who sell TSA locks are sellling a false sense of security as using them is like putting a padlock on a screen door.

The most secure luggage would be hardside with an integrated locking system. But since the TSA would likely pry them open with a crowbar, the best idea is to not pack anything valuable.

Hello,

Just wanted to say I work for an airline and sometimes TSA to a total search of a bag. Which means they take out all of the items of the bag to search it. There has been many times when they forget to put things back into the bag. This is always fun for us airline agents. We then take the items to the gate to see if passengers can identfly the itmes and get the bag tag numbers from the passenger to return the item to the bag.

Bottom line TSA, zip ties and locks are great to keep your luggage from coming open. The wrap around bands alot of time get caught on our beltloader and pop off. Unforunately we have alot of unhonest people in the world and if they want to get into your bags and steal they will. I personally never put anything of value in my check bags. Please put your jewerly, electronic and medicien in your carry-on. Oh yeah and never..never put your keys in your check bags!:D You'd be surprized~!

Hope this helps,

Shan9700:)

a friend of mine had his ipod stolen on Majesty in Feb. When his bag showed up outside his door, stuff was missing from it. We know everything was there before he boarded, so it can happen anywhere

Putting an ipod in checked luggage is just asking for it to disappear. It shows up easily under xray scan. I pack all of my dirty drawers and swim trunks on top of the rest of my luggage as a deterrent...:rolleyes: If they want something out of my luggage, they're going to earn it.

Don't forget to tip your porters at the pier...

Not sure on which website I read this, however they had statistics which stated the San Juan was the worst airport in the western hemisphere for having items disappear from luggage. Miami was second.

I appreciate knowing that San Juan is of special concern. We put our valuable, "valuables" in our carry ons of course. But nobody likes to lose "stuff". It doesn't matter what it is, it still belongs to you....and nobody wants it taken or misplaced. Anyway, thanks for starting the thread about this issue. :D

Ties can be cut but if you put a tie on your bag and you can not carry a knife or scissors in your carry on..How do you get the tie off?

Pack a small pair of scissors in the unlocked side pocket of your checked bag.

Nail clippers work as well, and I think (but I'm not 100% sure) they can go in your carryon these days.

just got home today, my bag was not loaded on in SFO after checking in Miami. I didnot realise that I was not supposed to lock the bag. When the bag was delivered today, there was no note and my bottle of 151 proof rum had disappeared. It was only $11 so I am not to worried about it, just pissed off . Thank goodness I did not buy that $85 bottle of xo cognac that dh wanted me to buy for him. My gf who had locked her bag, did not have her lock cut and did not lose her bottle of rum. So was it the TSA or ??

Well, why we did not have anything stolen on our cruise, I'll tell ya this. Those TSA guys needs a kick in their you-know-what!

I'm all for airport security, inspect my bag all you want. But PLEASE put the items you look at the way they were put in.

On our flight from CT to Las Vegas, long story short, I always wrap my shampoo/conditioner & hair spray separately in a plastic grocery bag. In case of spillage. Well, ding-dong TSA guy must have thought my brand new can of hairspray was the missing Weapons of Mass Destruction from Iraq & opened the bag, but did not put the hairspray can back in or the lid on. Seeing what's going to happen now?

The entire can of hairspray sprayed into my entire suitcase somewhere enroute to Las Vegas & when I got my luggage, you could smell the hairspray (though it was scented!) from about 10 feet away. I went into a screaming rage in the middle of the Las Vegas terminal wanting to kill someone. I think I thought of 50 ways for that TSA guy to die a horrible death I was so livid! When we got to our timeshare & checked-in, I spent the next 3 1/2 hours washing clothes & drying them & then trying to wash out the suitcase.

I'll take stolen food anyday of the week!

just got home today, my bag was not loaded on in SFO after checking in Miami. I didnot realise that I was not supposed to lock the bag. When the bag was delivered today, there was no note and my bottle of 151 proof rum had disappeared. It was only $11 so I am not to worried about it, just pissed off . Thank goodness I did not buy that $85 bottle of xo cognac that dh wanted me to buy for him. My gf who had locked her bag, did not have her lock cut and did not lose her bottle of rum. So was it the TSA or ??
1. You didn't know that you're not supposed to lock your bag? Are you kidding???

2. I could be wrong (but I don't think that I am), but it is illegal to carry 151 proof liquor on an airplane. If that is correct, then it was confiscated as being against the law.

1. You didn't know that you're not supposed to lock your bag? Are you kidding???

2. I could be wrong (but I don't think that I am), but it is illegal to carry 151 proof liquor on an airplane. If that is correct, then it was confiscated as being against the law.

Yes, you are correct. This is from the TSA's website:

* More than 70 percent alcohol content (140 proof) is prohibited

from carry-on and checked luggage.

Hi there Merion Mom!

You are right about that rum!

Almost two years ago we flew LaGuardia-NY through Miami to Barbados. On our luggage we put various colored cable ties of a specific (electircal work) type. Upon our arrival at the hotel in Barbados, we found that one large checked bag had been robbed of approximately one dozen (non-Cuban) cigars, a pair of cuticle scissors, and a kid's nightlight--baseball sized plastic "fish bowl" around the light bulb area. The thieves took the trouble to put same-colored (but inferior quality) cable ties back on the luggage!

We immediately called American Airlines in Barbados about the theft; within 24 hours there was an American Airlines bank check delivered to the hotel manager for us for the amount of the value of the stolen goods. The hotel manager asked and we told him we flew through Miami (the place along the way where the bags would have had the longest time to sit or be anywhere), and he indicated that this was something that he had heard of before, without saying anything more. It seemed that it was quite a common problem, almost verified by AA's quick response. Funny that American Airlines-Barbados was having to make up for the problems of baggage handling in the states. In Barbados, that plane lands and pulls up near the terminal and you and your baggage are literally on the tarmac out in the open the whole way, so this theft was not on Barbados.

Since then, we close all of our luggage with TSA locks AND orange TamperSeal brand cable ties. These ties can be opened without a tool, once we reach our destination--no fumbling with nail clippers or whatever. We love them. Coincidentally, we have not had a bag opened since we started using this TamperSeals/TSA lock approach.

Leslie

Erniesband

Have used the TSA locks in the past and like you had them cut off .....so,

used cable ties just to know if the bags had been entered.

Some companies, like Brookstone, will replace your lock if TSA cuts it off.

Many people have had TSA locks cut off simply because the agent is too busy or too lazy to get the key.

We use cable ties....honestly if some lowlife wants to open your bag, no lock, cable tie or anything will stop them.

Don't pack valuables.

On our last flight, I knew the bag was opened because the cable tie was white/clear. I always use bright ones.

Inside was the TSA note. And, believe it or not, all the stuff was very neat inside the bag! They only moved my RCL tote from its place in the top pocket to on top of the stuff. No biggie.

Having flown all over the world, and into various places in the U.S. I have just returned to UK from Hawaii via LAX. I found my cases opened, items stolen and cases damaged (the cases were not locked). When we reported to United Airlines they were not interested. When we got home our last flight a UK carrier supplied us with a full appology and new cases, we explained that the theft and damage was carried out in the US whilst in the care of United, but they said since they were the last to handle our luggage they were responsible.

Because of the over the top security now in force in the US I will not be travelling there again for a long time. When will the US realise they are losing visitors to thier country because of pointless security measures.

Archived