Single Share

VABeach

If you get to your cabin and see someone else putting their things away---you have a roomie. :(

If you get to your cabin and see that the closet closest to the beds is full, the bottom shelves of the medicine cabinet is full of mysterious potions---you have a roomie. :(

If you get to your cabin and find a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a lovely bottle of wine and think "how nice!", then look at the card and see another name on it---you have a roomie. :(

If, after sail-away you still haven't seen anything like I posted above---shout for joy, 'cause you don't have a roomie! :D

If, after sail-away you still haven't seen anything like I posted above---shout for joy, 'cause you don't have a roomie! :D

Just out of curiosity, Ruth ... is it possible for you not to be assigned a roomie initially, but then later on in the cruise, someone is moved in with you? I heard of a case like that and it seemed strange to me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Just out of curiosity, Ruth ... is it possible for you not to be assigned a roomie initially, but then later on in the cruise, someone is moved in with you? I heard of a case like that and it seemed strange to me.

I've never heard of it and am trying to imagine the circumstances where it could happen.

If there were an odd number of single share people of one sex then there would be one person of each sex without a roomie. If another single share had to be moved for some reason (incompatibility, perhaps?) then it would be up to HAL to decide where to put him/her. They may very well have the right to move that person into the cabin with the (formerly) lucky solo.

I would hate to be the one who hadn't gotten a roomie on a very long cruise only to reach the end of a segment and find someone joining me! Again, never heard of it.

Those are the only two situations where I can envision someone moving in later.

Single shares are capacity controlled. All HAL has to do is accept bookings to an even number of each sex and---barring last-minute cancellations---everybody gets a roomie. I don't remember ever hearing of a woman who got the cabin to herself; I have heard of men getting the cabin alone several times. Can't figure out how the men do that. :confused:

Ruth,

On my recent Volendam, I met 4 women who were doing the single share. I booked a cabin by myself, so I was interested in hearing about their experience. I met one man in the single share program, and he had the cabin to himself...go figure.

Only 1 of the women was sailing by herself. The others were part of a family group, but were the "odd" person out. :D

The lady who was sailing solo, but had a single share roommate, was annoyed at her roomie's DIL. The DIL would hang around the cabin when they were getting showered/dressed. The cabins aren't that roomy to start with, coupled with the intrusion of another stranger when you'd like some privacy.

As long as I can afford the single supplement, I'm going to book my own cabin. However, if I ever take a cruise longer than 2 wks., the extra cost will possibly force me to re-evaluate my decision.

Roz

Has anyone ever asked anyone on these boards if they would like to share a cabin. I would think that might be a great thing, especially if they share the same interst. I only ask as I have a brother that has finally been bit by the cruise bug and I suggested he read the boards and then maybe ask if anyone is interested and they could correspond and see if they might be willing to share. I don't know:rolleyes: just wondering.

Kathy

Roz, I certainly can understand how the woman who found "company" in her cabin all the time would feel put-upon. I wouldn't like it and would speak to my roomie about the intrusion. If that didn't work I would be more direct.

When you do a "share" there have to be some ground rules of common courtesy---after all you're not an interloper in someone else's cabin. You are an equal partner. Emphasis on "equal".

Actually, in some ways I think it might be easier to do a "share" than to room with someone you know, but haven't otherwise shared space with. I have seen friends with very different living, shall we say, "styles", but were timid about jeopardizing the friendship. With a stranger people tend to be more reserved in the first place, but also know they won't see their roomie again. It can be freeing to look at it that way.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I was told they would find someone "same age group, same sex, non-smoker". How do they define "age groups"? I'm only asking because I am 36 and I know that isn't HAL's bread and butter age group. Do they really concider that a factor or is that just something they tell you?

Jenny, the only criteria I'm aware of is they match you with someone of the same sex. The stipulation is that it is a non-smoking cabin, however if both people smoke they are free to change that ground rule. I am not aware that there is any attempt to match in an age range.

On my first share my roomie was significantly older than I. I loved her! I want to grow up to be her! Second share was of a similar age. She was not at all like me, but we were both agreeable and got along fine. I would be pleased to room with her again. My third roomie had maybe 20 years on me. She shouldn't do shares. :(

Two out of three ain't bad! ;)

To the poster who asked about sharing a cabin with someone from these boards:

I'm actually doing just that in April. Without naming names, I began having an email exchange with another poster along with phone contact and based upon that we decided to room together.

We were both very honest about likes/dislikes and what we expected from a "roomie". Because of the discussions we had, I think rooming together will work out just fine. In fact, I'm looking forward to meeting this person "face to face" very much!

I don't, however, think I would ever consider using HALs shingle share program. I want to know something about the person I'm going to be sharing space with beforehand.

Claudia

Kathy, in answer to your question about arranging shares on the board, I know over in the singles and solos forums, we're forbidden from doing that, so I assume the same rule applies here. That said, there's nothing to keep you from sending a private message like Claudia did.

Claudia, good to "see" you again. You missed a great cruise on the Volendam.

Roz

I don't remember ever hearing of a woman who got the cabin to herself; I have heard of men getting the cabin alone several times. Can't figure out how the men do that. :confused:

I've heard of very few cases (usually short cruises) of women getting the cabin to themselves. I guess there may have only been one female single share signed up on those cruises? However, a story I heard once ... and I honestly had a hard time believing it ... was that a woman had a single share without a roomie. A couple of days into the cruise, a family who had booked four people into their stateroom and found it too tight moved their teenaged daughter into a single share spot. The woman in the share came back from a shore excursion and found some of her clothes tossed on her bed and the teenager moved in. I'm not sure of the age of this teenager ... but apparently she was very nice. The "problem" resulted when she would have friends in the cabin during the day ... I guess they were people she met at the kids' club maybe or other family members cruising with her family ... and this woman would be out on shore excursions. She supposedly spent the rest of her cruise worrying about the teenagers going through her stuff in her absence.

The reason the story struck me as not being entirely true is that would HAL move a teenager into a cabin with an unrelated adult? I thought kids had to be supervised. An unrelated adult would clearly have no authority over the kid and hence could provide no real supervision.

By the way ... on my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise ... even the men single shares all had roomies.

Blue skies ...

--rita

To the poster who asked about sharing a cabin with someone from these boards:

I'm actually doing just that in April. Without naming names, I began having an email exchange with another poster along with phone contact and based upon that we decided to room together.

And I'm very much looking forward to meeting you face-to-face too!

Ahhhhhh, that's okay, Claudia ... we can name names. I'm the one sharing with Claudia on these cruises and she's right. We talked in advance and feel that we will be compatible. We discussed not only the fact that we are both smokers, but what we are looking for in a share. And we both feel that based on those conversations this arrangement will meet both of our needs nicely.

The main thing that swore me off sharing cabins ... and why I would NOT use HAL's cabin share program ... is because I am a smoker, and I don't like the idea of having to leave the cabin every time I want to have a cigarette ... especially late at night before retiring or early morning when I first wake up. On my very first cruise ... a writer's conference at sea ... I hooked up with another writer from Seattle when she lost her roommate and was faced with having to cancel her cruise due to finances. We made contact on the writer's conference website and I offered to let her share with me, telling her upfront about my smoking. She was okay with it ... UNTIL the first night I was onboard (I missed the first three nights of the cruise). I went to light up before retiring and she asked me not to. I was shocked. She claimed that we had a "misunderstanding" and that it was okay for me to smoke in the cabin ONLY when she was not there. In the interest of keeping peace, I acquised to her request ... but I swore after that night that I would NEVER share again.

Of course, this girl was very young ... heck, I was old enough to be her mother ... and maybe it was a misunderstanding. But now I always make sure to be very clear on my expectations of a cabin sharing arrangement and encourage the other person to do the same.

There is no question that sharing a cabin makes a cruise much more affordable, but the key is to share with someone with whom you can achieve some degree of compatibility so that you both have a great cruise. HAL's single share program does not do anything to foster this compatibility. There is no matching of smokers and non-smokers. All single share cabins are considered non-smoking cabins unless the two roomies decide differently. Hence, if you happen to be booked in with a non-smoker (very likely), you're stuck. The non-smoker's rights trump. HAL also does nothing to help achieve compatibility in terms of age. They could match a 22 year old guy with a 65 year old one ... and I saw just that sort of thing happen on one of my cruises. The young guy liked to stay up half the night ... with all the lights on ... order room service, watch tv, etc. The older guy was stuck. He had to sleep with lights on and a tv blaring. No compromise on the issue whatsoever.

I can't understand why CC will not make a board available for room sharing. They can easily put a disclaimer on the front page stating that CC takes no responsibility whatsoever for roommate shares and how they work out, and that CC plays no role whatsoever in linking people up. That would absolve CC in the event a roomie share really went bad.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My third roomie had maybe 20 years on me. She shouldn't do shares. :(

[/color]

LOL ... after hearing about that third roomie of yours ... I can only say that it wouldn't have worked out as well if I had been paired with her. That single share would have turned into a solo cabin real quick ... cause I'd have thrown her overboard. You're just too nice. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I was told they would find someone "same age group, same sex, non-smoker". How do they define "age groups"? I'm only asking because I am 36 and I know that isn't HAL's bread and butter age group. Do they really concider that a factor or is that just something they tell you?

LOL ... they're full of crap, Jenny. Yes, they will maybe match age groups IF they have someone in your age bracket looking for a share. If they don't ... and likely they won't ... they'll match you with another female. Period.

As for smoking, all HAL single share cabins are considered non-smoking. If you and the roomie both get in there, and it turns out that both of you are smokers or the non-smoker doesn't mind the roomie smoking, then you can ask for ashtrays and smoke in the cabin. But if the non-smoker doesn't want smoking in there, her rights trump and there will be no smoking in the cabin.

HAL matches roomies on one criteria and one criteria only ... gender. Anything else is kinda luck of the draw.

Blue skies ...

--rita

On my Westerdam cruise, one of the ladies that I became friends with, was in the single share program. While there were alot solo cruisers on that sailing, most were like me and just paid the single tax (that's what I call it) to have a room alone. Sandra lucked out and had no roommate. She had an inside cabin and was quite happy because of the great rate and no person but her in the cabin. Sandra stated that she went by the purser's desk after dinner to inquire about not having a roommate and was told that she happen to be the odd person on board. That when the assisgments for the single share was made, she was the last one on the list and end up with no roommate.

Sandra mentioned on her HAL sailing when she used the single share program, she always had a roommate.

The reason the story struck me as not being entirely true is that would HAL move a teenager into a cabin with an unrelated adult? I thought kids had to be supervised. An unrelated adult would clearly have no authority over the kid and hence could provide no real supervision.

Sounds odd to me too! Why wouldn't the mother have moved? :)

Snoring, hygiene, morning people vs. night people, religious practices, perfume use, tobacco use, television preferences, age, sexual orientation, personality (loud/boisterous vs. quiet/subdued), manners, comfort (some want the ac on at night; others don't).....to name just a few.

I guess if you could meet someone half-way; yer ok. There is no way I could and its the reason why I'm willing to fork over the single supp.

Even if you're family, sharing a cabin isn't always the best idea. I've cruised many times with my daughter and on our 2-week cruise last summer, she 'fessed up that my snoring bothered her. I told her that it didn't bother me... heck, I didn't even hear it... but she was serious and upset. So, from now on, we're in separate rooms and cabins when we travel together. Expensive? Yes. But I'd rather keep my daughter as a friend.

Snoring, hygiene, morning people vs. night people, religious practices, perfume use, tobacco use, television preferences, age, sexual orientation, personality (loud/boisterous vs. quiet/subdued), manners, comfort (some want the ac on at night; others don't).....to name just a few.

Tobacco use wouldn't be an issue ... single share cabins are non-smoking ... but the other things, yes ... and of course, with any share arrangement, you do have to be a bit flexible. After all, someone can't help it if they snore or move around a lot when they sleep. But the other things ... yeah, the only way you can work them out is to compromise, yet be a bit flexible. If somone wants to stay out later at night, of course they are going to need to put a light on when they return to the cabin ... but they can be considerate; i.e., use the bathroom light for illumination to get their nightclothes and then get dressed for bed in the bathroom so as not to disturb their sleeping roommate. Same sort of courtesy goes the other way in the morning if the roommate is an early riser.

Single shares can work, but I can't imagine them working out very well when you are depending upon luck of the draw, such as you have to do with HAL's single share program. That's why I won't use it. I don't want to get onboard and find out that I have a roommate who's going to require a substantial amount of help with basic physical care (such as happened to one of my friends on the writer's conference cruise), or someone who absolutely refuses to work together in order to ensure we both have a great cruise.

But where I have some control (as does the roommate) in feeling each other out in advance as to our expectations, etc. ... then I think that as long as both parties are honest with each other, there is no reason the share can't work out great ... not to mention save the both of you a nice sum of money.

True, HAL's single supplements are very reasonable, but for some reason it does irk me to have to pay 50% additional for my cabin as a solo. So, if I can find someone reasonably compatible to share with ... someone I feel comfortable in the arrangement with ... then why not? That's more money I can use for shore excursions or ... even better ... maybe for another cruise! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sounds odd to me too! Why wouldn't the mother have moved? :)

I would imagine mom wanted to be in the same cabin with dad! :) If I recall correctly, the problem was that the sofa bed was too tight for the teenage girl and her little brother. So when mom found out about a single share slot being empty in the room down the hall, she went to the front office to find out how much it would cost to move the daughter in there.

I'm just surprised that HAL would have allowed that ... and that's why I'm questioning this story. The only thing I'm thinking is that maybe mom technically did sign on with the single share and then put her daughter there in her place?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived