Just back from Oosterdam 12/2-12/9

barbon2

Hi,

First, I tried to post after my initial post the 1st day but could not log on to these message boards. It kept saying "not logged in" even though I was, however, could not keep wasting internet time to try and resolve this problem.

Anyway, I am back from the Oosterdam and will give a quick review and will post further tomorrow. Please in advance excuse typos, etc., I am tired but know some are anxious to hear about the cruise.

Embarkation went smooth. We were not allowed on the ship before 1pm due to cleaning from the code red of previous cruise. We checked in quickly around 12:30 pm (we were in the suite line, but the others moved just as fast, especially since there was a card group of 500 people who had their own check in lines). We boarded at 1pm and within around 10 minutes were allowed in the cabins. The ship remained under code red, until mid week when they lifted the code red procedures.

Food...I have to say the food was just fair. Our favorite line is Celebrity, but this was our third HAL cruise and after being on Celebrity last year we did notice a significant difference. I felt it had dropped a notch or two from our previous HAL cruise the year before.

Service...The service was excellent by all crew members, they were always smiling and were very attentive.

Entertainment...The entertainment was probably the worst I have seen on any cruise. The ship's singer's, dancers, and production numbers were EXCELLENT, very professional. Joel Mason, the Elton John impersonator was okay, his second show was better then the first. Julie Barr was just okay. They promoted her adult only show and we found ourselves bored by her performance. She told old jokes and spent a long portion of her stage time asking the audience about how long they were married, and about honeymoon couples. She went on and on and on like she was just filling in time. A disappointment as far as comedians go. The WORST entertainment was the magicians Drew and Angela. There show was like something the neighborhood kids would put on. I was suprised that they were hired "as professional entertainers".

Ports...The ports as on all cruises are what you make of them. We wanted to "chill" on this cruise so we really did not do many excursions. In Cabo we walked the town and went to a beach. We basically did the same in Mazatlan and in Puerto Vallerta we did the beach excursion. Again, we had spent a few days in San Diego prior sightseeing so the ship was a chance to relax.

Suites...For those of you who take suites, the suites on the Oosterdam (we did an SB) were large with wonderful verandahs. The Neptune Staff was very mediocre, not anywhere up to par as they were on the Amsterdam. For example, we went there early in the day on embarkation day and asked for the Pinnacle for Tues. night. We walked by the Pinnacle a couple of hrs. later and checked on our ressies, not only were they not made, but Tues. night at that point was already booked. We asked the concierge for some plastic cleaning bags if available, and she told us she would find out if they had them on board, am still waiting for the callback. The few times we were up there, the conceirge seemed overwhelmed. If you are going to offer this service they should have enough to accomodate the suite guest's requests in a timely manner. We used the Neptune very little (we book the suites for the size), but for those who book it for the perks, it certainly is not worth it. I find that the butlers on Celebritiy are much more attentive and efficient. We are planning to go to Alaska again in August with HAL, but will that the superior suites, it is not worth it for the SB.

Pod problem....We did feel some vibration, but nothing that would make the cruise unpleasant. We went to the "living on the sea seminar", at least I think that is what it is called, and someone asked about the problem. They said it was 50 percent fixed, and at some point later down the road that they ship would have to go to drydock.

All and all it was a great cruise, what cruise would not be. I choose HAL for their itineraries, not their ships, so would do HAL again for a port intensive cruise, (such as the one we are planning for Alaska). However, if I were choosing to do another leisure type of cruise I certainly would opt for Celebrity which in my opinion (opinion being the operative word), due to the more upscale atmosphere, less gaudy ships, much better food and entertainment (at least entertainment, compared to what we just had).

Barbara

I am also just back from the Oosterdam...12/2-12/9....

I could also write the exact same report that barbon 2 just wrote and agree with everything said. I received my 50 day pin, and I will have to say that with my experience with HAL, I was disapointed with changes I have noted and that has sent me looking for another cruise line to have a change of pace. I am sure I will return to HAL one day because I do love their suite life so much, but Elaine, the concierge in the Neptune, was inept. Her partner, Louise, was much better but she was ill the first 3 days of the trip so we did not have her expertise when it was so needed the first part of the trip.

For the first time in all my travels in HAL suites, I found the cabin steward to be just mediocre. I was shocked! Did that or anything ruin our trip? ABSOLUTELY NOT! It was a wonderful trip enjoyed by 8 close friends with 4 cabins with our balconies adjoining. We had a blast!!!!!!

One thing I missed were the fresh flowers throughout the ship. Many were plastic and silk. A small thing, but a noticeable change from previous cruises.

While we were waiting to disembark, a very nice lady and her mother asked to see our cabin to compare it to their aft suite. During our conversation, I asked if she were a cruise critic member, and she said that she was jellens. Hi, J...loved meeting you and your lovely mother. Glad you also had a wonderful time!

I think if you were a first timer on HAL, everything would seem wonderful. If you are comparing HAL to HAL, you would definitely notice some disappointing changes! I do know, however, HAL is a GREAT value for the price paid. I did check other lines before booking this trip and others were higher!

I am happy to answer any questions you may have. This is a wonderful board, and the HAL board is the best!

Hi All !

Just back from the Oosterdam as well. It was a vacation so regardless of all of the little things it was great.

Some observations as well....I agree with the Neptune concierge issues. We were one of the first in there on embarkation and our dinner seating request was not filled until day 3....we had no dinner table until then. I went 2-3 times daily and I think it would have been easier to do it myself. Both Louise and Elaine were nice but not very competent.

Our cabin steward was mediocre...the first time we haven't left an extra tip. I don't even know what his name was. We were in an SB 7132.

My biggest complaint was the fact that the Crow's Nest was unavailable for the week. I am really pushing it because we in fact were part of the poker group that had taken it over for the week but being an avid Vista class cruiser...I just felt it was unfair to let a whole group have it and not have it open for other cruisers to enjoy. It is one of the best places to sit and enjoy the view on the ship. I also didn't like the fact that there was a sign saying it was closed for renovations....right above the sign that said "card players only".

Like I said...all cruises are what you make of them and we had a great time regardless.

We were on the previous cruise and I couldn't agree more about the entertainment. I think Joel Mason might be better if he sang instead of doing unfunny jokes and gags. I have had the misfortune to sit through Drew and Angela twice. I saw them on my February Volendam cruise too.

In February, we had fresh flowers in our suite and personalized stationary. I guess they don't do that on the Oosterdam.

Our food was good and some was great. We had a few things we didn't care for, but overall we were pleased. We were lucky to have a superior waiter in the dining room. I think he made the difference in our experience. We also has a terrific cabin steward. I guess that is just the luck of the draw.

We were on the previous cruise and I couldn't agree more about the entertainment. I think Joel Mason might be better if he sang instead of doing unfunny jokes and gags. I have had the misfortune to sit through Drew and Angela twice. I saw them on my February Volendam cruise too.

In February, we had fresh flowers in our suite and personalized stationary. I guess they don't do that on the Oosterdam.

Our food was good and some was great. We had a few things we didn't care for, but overall we were pleased. We were lucky to have a superior waiter in the dining room. I think he made the difference in our experience. We also has a terrific cabin steward. I guess that is just the luck of the draw.

We did have personalized stationery in the cabin as always, and we did have fresh flowers. I have been on the Oosterdam three times, and the arrangement in the cabin gets smaller with more common flowers (carnations) each time....which is fine. Neither of those perks could make or break a trip and they are very nice touches to boot. I guess that after being on the O three time, I am able to notice the changes. We were also very lucky to have a superior wait staff with a perfect table in a perfect location. We could not have been happier in the dining room with the staff. We were disappointed in some of the menus and some of the meals, but believe me, we didn't starve and enjoyed the dining room very much. Guess I am still comparing the O to the O from previous cruises.

We also ate at the Pinnacle the first night for free, thanks to AmX, and it was excellent. Everyone enjoyed what they ordered and the waiter was precious and very attentive. This was a change for the BETTER from our previous experience with the wait staff. In the past, the waiter was quite cold and matter-of-fact. The waiter this time was charming and wonderful!:D

Also, some have asked about AmX perks and Carnival Stock perks. I took written proof of each, but I didn't have to show it because everything was in place when I arrived. $400 shipboard credit was on my account ($300 AmX and $100 Carnival Stock) We ate at the Pinnacle the first night for free. (I went to our table in the dining room ahead of time to tell them we would not be in the dining room the first night but would be there each night thereafter. They were very appreciative of my coming to tell them) We also had champagne from AmX waiting in our cabin when we arrived.

Hi again,

I was wondering, out of curiousity, if anyone of the above posters has done the Celebrity suites and have noticed the difference, (and the difference in the food?)

Re: Cabin Stewards.....We did gives ours a little extra, but again, he seemed indifferent, wonder if it is better when tips are not included, perhaps they go the extra mile. Again, being on Celebrity last year, we had a cabin steward, who had an assistant, along with a butler, the suite service was impecable. Our friends who were also in an SB cabin on this cruise had a bizzare incident with the cabin steward. On the morning of debarkation he came into their room at 7am. My friend's husband was in the shower and she was lying in bed waiting to get into the shower. The steward came in without knocking and told her he "had to get the bed ready for the next pax and asked her to get up." She was mortified. She called my room to tell me he was in there stripping the beds and I thought she was joking. She asked him to leave and he said after he was done. Her husband came out of the bathroom and TOLD him to go. Again, another example of the drop in level of service on HAL. This should not EVER happen on ANY ship.

As I stated before, as the previous posters have stated, these incidents in no way affected our cruise, however, I do believe HAL will start seeing a decline in bookings if they continue to let their services slide. As one who likes to stay in suites, we pay premium dollars for these cabins and the amentities that go along with them. Our suite experience from this trip has made us decide to go down to the superior suites for Alaska in August, the perks and service are not just worth it, so this to me is the perfect example how HAL, but cutting corners has lost a suite guest, and when we plan our cruise after Alaska, if I find the itinerary I want on another line, our choice will be with them.

To the woman from Alabama who posted, were you travelling with a group of women only, if so, we had a conversation in the Neptune (re a mix up in dry cleaning.)

Barbara

To the woman from Alabama who posted, were you travelling with a group of women only, if so, we had a conversation in the Neptune (re a mix up in dry cleaning.)

Barbara

Hi Barbon! Yes, I was the one with a group of women, and we had your husband's shorts, and you had my friend's shorts (size 0!!!!) Glad the problem was solved so quickly!!!!

We also just returned from the Oosterdam and must say that we very much enjoyed the Cruise- it was a great vacation. We had a great cabin Steward and felt he was very attentive- sorry others did not experience the same. It was our 23rd cruise on hal, but our first on a Vista Class, we has an SY and were very satisfied- our Son and his SO (First Cruise) had a VB next door and with the open Veranda we had a great deal of space. Sorry not to have met everyone but we had some issues that were resolved by the Guest Relations Manager.

Not having the Crows Nest available was a major disappointment for us- I think HAL made a major mistake in taking away such a popular venue from those who were not part of the poker group. Personally I would have preferred HAL giving us the ship board credit for not having the Crows Nest rather than missing a few hours in Cabo San Lucas.

I agree about the Crows Nest...what a disappointment. It looked so tacky with the paper over the windows.

We also just returned from the Oosterdam and must say that we very much enjoyed the Cruise- it was a great vacation. We had a great cabin Steward and felt he was very attentive- sorry others did not experience the same. It was our 23rd cruise on hal, but our first on a Vista Class, we has an SY and were very satisfied- our Son and his SO (First Cruise) had a VB next door and with the open Veranda we had a great deal of space. Sorry not to have met everyone but we had some issues that were resolved by the Guest Relations Manager.

Not having the Crows Nest available was a major disappointment for us- I think HAL made a major mistake in taking away such a popular venue from those who were not part of the poker group. Personally I would have preferred HAL giving us the ship board credit for not having the Crows Nest rather than missing a few hours in Cabo San Lucas.

So.............it never opened at all, day-time and night-time?? Except for the card players?

Ten four Copper. Totally off limits and had a sign that said "closed for renovation" which is bunk because it was totally occupied by Card Players every night...and maybe during the day, but I'm not sure.

Ten four Copper. Totally off limits and had a sign that said "closed for renovation" which is bunk because it was totally occupied by Card Players every night...and maybe during the day, but I'm not sure.

Roger that! Man, that's drastic - You would think, depending on the number of card playing pilgrims, they could find another room for that activity. Any idea how big the poker playing group was?

Roger that! Man, that's drastic - You would think, depending on the number of card playing pilgrims, they could find another room for that activity. Any idea how big the poker playing group was?

Yup, there were 614 of them...almost 1/3 the passengers on this cruise.

- that should not have occurred on your cruise....I agree its taking away one of the important areas for passengers. We've booked on the Jan. 13/07 cruise and the main reason we're going is because we enjoy dancing - particularly in the Crow's Nest ... and if that is unavailable, that will affect our enjoyment of the cruise significantly. I wonder if this is what they are using this area of the ship for now. I've been reading the posts on how the Oosterdam is looking pretty run down. We also felt that the quality of the food was not really great, but that actually helped us not eat too much (a good thing!!). We were on it this past May to Alaska and really just noticed how several of the recliner type chairs in the Crow's Nest were broken...with no attention being paid to them by staff. Now to read this has us pretty concerned about our upcoming trip. Too bad HAL is going downhill -- we've sailed them quite a bit. Prior to the May 06 Alaska trip, we were in the Mediterranean on Brilliance of the Seas and do think those ships are much more elegant and RCCL is very customer oriented. We've always had fond memories of our HAL trips...and hope that our upcoming trip won't disappoint too much.

As I stated in another post, perhaps the parent company is pushing HAL more toward their Carnival product. Perhaps they are not attracting the types of pax that they want and are gearing their ships for a different demographic group.

Barbara

We were told that the Poker Group played all day and evening, don't know about while we were in port. As I understand it they normally book the entire ship, but only had about 600 this time. They also took over the Oak Room as well as the Crows Nest.

That really is unfortunate. I love the Crow's Nest and can't believe it was off limits for most of the passengers.

I am also sad to hear about some of the comments of the state of the ship. While we are not picky people, we do expect a certain level from HAL> Perhaps the Carnival influence has really taken over and I will never sail Carnival again. I'll see after our upcoming cruise - it may be that we switch to Princess and/or Celebrity.

barbon2,

We have cruised with HAL 5 times (6th in one week) and have always stayed in SA suite cabins. In fact, we just sailed on the Odam in Sept. to Alaska and will be again on the Odam next week. We had the same Nuptune Lounge staff and had nothing but amazing service.

We have also sailed with Celebrity in a Royal Suite with Butler service. On our cruise we MISSED the Neptune Lounge and the Concierge. Our Butler service was not good. Also, the food was good but would not say better than HAL. We had a wonderful cruise. We met SO many fun and wonderful people. And the Royal Suite was the best cabin/suite we have had to date. But I would not say that it was the best in terms of service.

Sometimes, things are just off. "The concierge seemed overwhelmed." Well, she was alone the first 3 days because Louise was ill. I can understand being overwhelmed. We had great service from both Elaine and Louise on our cruise in Sept. Something was off. Just like on our cruise on Celebrity. We had poor service from our Butler. But, reading these boards as much as I do, I have read NOTHING but rave reviews about this Butler. I can only assume that something was off for him on our trip. But I don't think that the same will be true on my next Celebrity Cruise and would book this cabin again and realize that it will be a different cruise.

I understand that you had a wonderful cruise. Who wouldn't. It is just too hard and really too unfair to judge by just one cruise. This crew has an amazing positive reputation. Something was off. Don't give up on the Suite life over one cruise. Give it another chance. We have never been disappointed. As we will give Celebrity another chance. Reputation for both lines indicates that your experience on the Odam is not the norm as well as my experience with Celebrity is not the norm. Can't wait to cruise both lines again!!

:) Wendy

Wendy, (Midge)

In answer to your post, this is our third HAL cruise and as stated we did have better service from the concierge on our last HAL voyage. I also stated we are doing HAL again to Alaska in August because we like the itinerary. However, unless something spectacular in the way of service/food comes about on our next HAL cruise (#4) we will be looking to other lines. I will not book a suite and pay a few thousand dollars more and chance having the experience we just encountered. (We are doing superior verandah suites, so the cabin will be large and we are not wasting money on the useless concierge service.) We have done 5 Celebrity cruises in suites and have NEVER had a complaint in regard to food or service. I am not saying HAL is a terrible product, obviously I would not be planning to sail with them again, I am just stating that I see a decline in their food, service , entertainment and condition of the ship. Yes, they might have had an off week concierge wise, but the concierge certainly cannot be blamed for poor food and entertainment. What I am saying if in my OPINION if Celebrity and HAL were doing the same itinerary at the same time, I would not even think about booking HAL. Also, I know that this is not possible, but it is a shame the when you book a cruise that the cruiseline itself does not let pax know that there is a large group on board and that some of the facilities will be off limits. I am not talking about small groups of 50 or 60 people but a group of 600 that we just encountered. Of course this is great revenue for a cruiseline, but it can cause pax from booking the product again if they feel that if affects their cruise.

Barbara

Hello all, we just returned from this trip as well and I must say I agree whole heartedly with all of the above posts. Seems we are all in agreement in the areas that needed improvement. The things that were 'off' didn't ruin my cruise, but they were noted.

I will comment on things previously mentioned and will post my own review later.

As far as the Neptune Lounge, it wasn't that the staff was overwhelmed, it is as 'crusingnana' stated, they were totally inept. We found nothing for us in the way of service and or comfort. The concierge staff had absolutely no personality. As we were picking up nibbles one day in the NL a staff member was picking up the food right behind another woman as she went along. I could see the shock on her face. I realize he had a job and a time to do it in, but it was a bit rude.

We asked for pre-dinner appetizers on three different occasions and never received any.

The Captain's reception in the Neptune Lounge was great with the other suite pax, but the staff was only fair. The food manager was quite friendly. However, Linda the 'shopping expert' could not make small talk. She went from pax to pax pushing Tanzanite and shopping. I know that 'shopping' is her job, but a bit of schmoozing with pax would go a long way. The other members of the cruise staff were okay, but no one stood out as overly friendly.

We met with 'iris' from this board as planned outside the Oakroom right after the lifeboat drill. She and her husband were very nice. We saw them around the ship often. We didn't have any others show up. I read above that some CCers met with Mr. Deering, however, we didn't know about this so we did not. And yes, my mother and I met with 'cruisingnana' as she stated in her post. She was such a treat to talk with.....only wish we would have met her and her friends earlier on.

Two other notables.....Number one.....the suite bathrooms were not that great. We have had nicer suite bathroom amenities on other ships. Bathroom was rather small and blah decor. Other ships have had marble throughout and a much larger shower with glass shower doors not simply a curtain. Also, the toilet has usually been in a separate doored area. Number two.....the photos in the photo shop were very over priced. Small pics were $10.95 and large ones were $21.95.

One major plus is for our great dining table couple and our wonderful head waiter Sri and assistant Alit at Table 54, late dining, 3rd floor. This was Sri's last week and he never let up with his smiles and helpfulness. He really looked out for us and his assistant Alit.

Again, I will post a detailed daily log sometime later.

Archived