Icy Strait Point

cinnamon

Has anyone experience of this Port?

We will be there on our Infinity cruise in June. So far, the only information I can find about this place refers me to the Celebrity or RCCI site when looking for excursions. We normally prefer to be independant. Is it too small to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Cinnamon

Icy Straight Point is the name the cruise lines give to the villiage of Hoonah. I've heard good things about a number of independant tours there, and the villiage is quite small, so self-guiding a walking tour isn't much of a problem.

I'll defer to others who have booked excursions there, since any excursion I've taken in Hoonah has been with MY company on the Can Can based out of Juneau. (Many Juneau halibut fishing charters end up near Hoonah... it's fairly close to us.)

-Case

• 2 weeks later...

This was the most "true Alaska" feeling port I went to. It doesn't have 50 tourist shops to great you. Although the new cannery that they drop you off at does have plenty of opportunity to spend. There is a shuttle that brings you to/from Hoonah for $5. We went witht the RCI excursion whale watching. There were many people on our boat, but it was not filled in August by any stretch. We saw a ton of whales and several breeches. We also saw the little outfitters boats as well. I would say that they got a little closer to the whales, but there were soo many that I was not displeased at all. If there were fewer whales or if we had gone at a time when the excursion was booked I would probably want to go independent, but book EARLY.

• 4 weeks later...

Budget Queen:

Regarding the bear watch with Teckk Outfitters, do you think there is a good possiblity of seeing bears in mid June? Would the whale watch with F.I.S.H.E.S be a better excursion during this time of the year?

Thank you,

Sarvis

• 2 weeks later...

There are several independent tours in Hoonah. The ones listed, plus Mike at the Galley restuarant will be booking bear tours with 2 independent road tours, and there are usually at least 2 charters that he uses for whale/bear/or fishing. Prices vary with either a road tour or boat. He does book ahead with a deposit, if not I would recommend getting the the store first thing to get on the sign up list.

I fish Hoonah almost every spring and fall and since the cruise ships start coming in I've seen many people move into town to start a business. If you want a tour with a "true" local outside of the ISP tours contact Floyd with FISHES, Shawn with Glacier Wind or Keith with TECKK, they have lived there their whole life and are the original Hoonah boys. Floyd and Keith live there year round and Shawn grew up there and has a summer home. If they can't take you I'm sure they will help you get in touch with a good contact.

Checking your options is great, I agree with you, all I am saying is Floyd, Keith, and Shawn have been in business long before the cruise ships came to town. They grew up there, they know the place better then anyone who just moved in. For a good tour I would go with those who know the place the best.

What type of bear watching is done around ISP? Are there rivers with salmon, boats coasting along the shore, or something else? I had pretty much thought the only option was whale watching.

This kind of bear viewing - http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruises2006/3889.html - done on a whale watching trip with Floyd Peterson that also got us http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruises2006/3854.html and a hundred other pics :D

Murray

It's not uncommon to see bears on the banks when out fishing or whale watching. If you are out whale watching just mention to the captain of the boat you wouldn't mind seeing a bear too. But if you mainly want to see bears in the streams and the country side I would recomend the road tour.

Youkon,

Thanks for the quick reply, info and especially the pictures. Quite nice. So with Floyd, who I was going to email tonight, could we do both on one tour? Since ISP is supposed to be one of the best whale watching areas, I certainly don't want to miss it, but I would like to see as much wildlife as possible on this trip.

There are a lot of bears in the streams in August. I haven't been bear watching in Ketchican, so I don't know if it's better. But in Hoonah you will only see brown bears. Icy Strait is a great place to see whales, if you are on a fishing charter you will more then likely also see whales.

Nice to hear from you. Great photos. For the bear shots, are they from the boat or do you take short hikes or "nature walks"? For the comb wildlife/bear viewing/ whalewatching, have any idea what the min is for how many hours or per person cost? Rough est. Thanks again.

Archived