"Live from the Freedom- not!" UPDATE!!!

Will insurance pay? My dad and the group of people he met at his hotel did not ever check in at the port. They were told the cruise was cancelled and they called their hotel to save their room and to send the shuttle back for them. They had two nights of hotel expenses plus food. Will their trip insurance reimburse them for those expenses? They had no idea rccl was taking care of everyone's arrangments.

Sher

immediately to see if they will refund the fees via receipts sent to them as well as getting copies made for giving to RCCL Purser desk onboard to get refunded. He states he never made it to the port after being told at the airport by a RCCL rep that the cruise was cancelled.

He is also due the discounts of this & future cruises as stated here on this post.

Will insurance pay? My dad and the group of people he met at his hotel did not ever check in at the port. They were told the cruise was cancelled and they called their hotel to save their room and to send the shuttle back for them. They had two nights of hotel expenses plus food. Will their trip insurance reimburse them for those expenses? They had no idea rccl was taking care of everyone's arrangments.

Sher

Sher

Why in the world wouldn't they have talked to someone from RCI instead of just going back without any info??? :confused: Definitely have him get in contact with someone ASAP. If it was NOT an RCI employee who told him the cruise was cancelled, he should never take someone's word for it and just leave....from now on he should only deal with the cruise line themselves, or he risks losing a lot. And if it WAS an RCI employee, they should have definitely given him the proper information. I hope all works out for him and he boards today to have a wonderful cruise! :)

Bon Voyage to all you Freedom sailers today! Be sure to track down my dear friend Jesus (he'll be wandering around the pool asking if you'd like a drink). He will put a smile on your face for sure!

And do NOT MISS Portofino's! Alan Biggs and his staff will make you feel right at home.

Bolero's is also wonderful, but I think Benito and Patricio may be rotated out to other bars this week (Squeeze Bar for Benito, and the Theater for Patricio). They are lovely and tell them Tracy misses them!!

Most importantly, have a fantastic five days, whatever you do!!

T

Why in the world wouldn't they have talked to someone from RCI instead of just going back without any info??? :confused: Definitely have him get in contact with someone ASAP. If it was NOT an RCI employee who told him the cruise was cancelled, he should never take someone's word for it and just leave....from now on he should only deal with the cruise line themselves, or he risks losing a lot. And if it WAS an RCI employee, they should have definitely given him the proper information. I hope all works out for him and he boards today to have a wonderful cruise! :)

I can't say why he didn't look into the matter further. He thinks it was a porter that told them it was cancelled. He just panicked and was afraid of not having his hotel room or a car, etc. He's never been on a cruise before. He's retired and a bit hard of hearing so there may have been something he "missed", I really can't say. I wish he would have called me right then and I could have done something to help him. I ended up not knowing the ship was delayed until yesterday evening when he finally called. I called rccl for him and I called the insurance company and they were very helpful. I was even able to get his claim forms mailed to his house. I called him this morning and told him about all the credits and if rccl didn't refund him for his hotel then the travel insurance will take care of it.

I'm hoping all goes well for him and his companion. I will post an update next week when he returns and I have a chance to talk to him. He's been very frustrated but knowing my dad that $250.00 onboard credit will go a long way in easing his frustrations. I told him a 5 day cruise and 2 days in Miami is still better than winter at home. ;) He agreed!

I can't say why he didn't look into the matter further. He thinks it was a porter that told them it was cancelled. He just panicked and was afraid of not having his hotel room or a car, etc. He's never been on a cruise before. He's retired and a bit hard of hearing so there may have been something he "missed", I really can't say. I wish he would have called me right then and I could have done something to help him. I ended up not knowing the ship was delayed until yesterday evening when he finally called. I called rccl for him and I called the insurance company and they were very helpful. I was even able to get his claim forms mailed to his house. I called him this morning and told him about all the credits and if rccl didn't refund him for his hotel then the travel insurance will take care of it.

I'm hoping all goes well for him and his companion. I will post an update next week when he returns and I have a chance to talk to him. He's been very frustrated but knowing my dad that $250.00 onboard credit will go a long way in easing his frustrations. I told him a 5 day cruise and 2 days in Miami is still better than winter at home. ;) He agreed!

Awwww...your poor Dad!!! Well at least you're getting things squared away for him and hopefully he'll enjoy his first cruise anyway! At least enough to take advantage of the 50% off they're going to give him for another cruise! :D When he gets back, update us on his trip! :)

who did the claling, got him his credits, his discounts for this cruise & his next & then the insurance sneding claim forms for him to fill out & you will help, I know. I applaud you for getting involved. Now he is having one hell of a great time! He deserves it..........

Call the Insurance Co immediately to see if they will refund the fees via receipts sent to them as well as getting copies made for giving to RCCL Purser desk onboard to get refunded.

Do you think he should be refunded by RCL AND his insurance company? Sounds like you imply he should get a refund from both. If he gets compensated for his expenses while in Miami by RCL, I doubt if the insurance company will refund him those expenses, too.

I was on the Freedom from the 3rd to the 10th be thankful of them decideing to stay in port and clean the whole ship. The whole week they were spraying bleach on everything, but not cleaning it up which we all know what happens when you rub on wet bleach. At night they were walking to halls to the staterooms with a bug sprayer spraying everything down. The had alcohol sprayers at the entrance of every place you could eat and if they caught you not doing they would call you back to watch you clean your hands ( kudos to them for being proactive).

The otherside of things with them not cleaning up the bleach everything had a thick residue on it or watremarks all over it. From what we were all told by the captain there was a total of 81 people (guests and staff) that were sick this time around.

Otherwise we all had a blast on the cruise and can't wait to book another one.

Wow, I found this very interesting. Anyways, Sorry for the shortened cruise and I hope you all have a great cruise. Use up that $250 :D

Very interesting that RCCL has had significantly more outbreaks than any other line except HAL. Also if you look at the previous years

RCCL had:

9 in 2006 to date with 3 more weeks to go

4 in 2005

2 in 2004

1 in 2003

0 in 2002

It is very apparent that RCCL may not be training their staff well on the prevention of the Norovirus. I hope RCCL will step up and do better prevention activities such as keeping the Antibacterial lotion well stocked and possibly requiring the use of it upon entering the dining rooms. We leave in 6 days on the Rhapsody and will definately take my antibacterial gel for me and the kids.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!!!

LW

I think you are making quite a supposition on the training of the crew. When we were on Mariner two weeks ago, they had sanitizers everywhere. When boarding the ship they had them, but some people just walked right on by. You couldn't get into the Windjammer or dining room without using the sanitizers. They had someone stationed at the entrances with the sanitizer in hand and sprayed every single person.

I believe that most of the noro is caused by passengers who are sick and either will not stay home or if they get sick on the ship, won't stay in their cabins. I know the sick people stay while they are vomiting etc, but others in their cabins go along with their plans. There have been threads where people have posted that they won't lose their money and basically that's too bad for the rest of the passengers.

I am not saying this is the only reason, but it is one of them. There are also people who use the ladies/mens room and feel that washing of their hands isn't necessary so they spread disease too. Until everyone takes responsibility for his/her own actions, things like this will continue.

I hope your cruise goes as well as ours did and that you don't have any noro.

Katie

Bon Voyage to all you Freedom sailers today! Be sure to track down my dear friend Jesus (he'll be wandering around the pool asking if you'd like a drink). He will put a smile on your face for sure!

And do NOT MISS Portofino's! Alan Biggs and his staff will make you feel right at home.

Bolero's is also wonderful, but I think Benito and Patricio may be rotated out to other bars this week (Squeeze Bar for Benito, and the Theater for Patricio). They are lovely and tell them Tracy misses them!!

Most importantly, have a fantastic five days, whatever you do!!

T

Tracy, now WHY does that sound so pretentious to me? LOL!

I think you are making quite a supposition on the training of the crew. When we were on Mariner two weeks ago, they had sanitizers everywhere. When boarding the ship they had them, but some people just walked right on by. You couldn't get into the Windjammer or dining room without using the sanitizers. They had someone stationed at the entrances with the sanitizer in hand and sprayed every single person.

I believe that most of the noro is caused by passengers who are sick and either will not stay home or if they get sick on the ship, won't stay in their cabins. I know the sick people stay while they are vomiting etc, but others in their cabins go along with their plans. There have been threads where people have posted that they won't lose their money and basically that's too bad for the rest of the passengers.

I am not saying this is the only reason, but it is one of them. There are also people who use the ladies/mens room and feel that washing of their hands isn't necessary so they spread disease too. Until everyone takes responsibility for his/her own actions, things like this will continue.

I hope your cruise goes as well as ours did and that you don't have any noro.

Katie

Exactly, if people would wash their hands maybe the virus would be less spread. It's amazing how many people I see leave the bathroom and don't wash their hands.

Bon Voyage to the Freedom of the Seas sailers today, just about time for the ship to leave Miami.

Well I've got a good one for you.

While checking out the salad bar at the Windjammer one day last week, I saw one of the wait staff pick up an individial bowl of salad that someone took and probably changed their mind. This guy promptly threw it back into the salad container that everyone uses. I told him NO, you don't do that. He said "oh, well, I'll just mix it in and nobody will know." So help me, this happened. I found the head waiter and he disposed of the whole container. No wonder we get sick.

My experience on the Grandeur was that there were no sanitizer dispensers at the Gatsby, and one at each entrance to the Windjammer. Cunard, OTOH, insisted on sanitized hands, with someone dispensing as you entered all eating venues. Cunard also served up all buffet foods. I agree, there are some slobs aboard, as well as others bringing their illnesses to share, and that's why the cruise lines have to be insistent on sanitized hands. And folks get wound up over whether shorts are allowable at dinner...sheesh.

but to do both is good, so you know what is stated by each & which to take. Be sure to get both in writing too. But Cujosmom had a bad day & wants to read bad things into a post. Not nice....

Do you think he should be refunded by RCL AND his insurance company? Sounds like you imply he should get a refund from both. If he gets compensated for his expenses while in Miami by RCL, I doubt if the insurance company will refund him those expenses, too.

but to do both is good, so you know what is stated by each & which to take. Be sure to get both in writing too. RCL could tell him he gets no discount. They could tell him he gets -0- from them since he didn't check in at the port, they took that he wasn't coming. This daughter is thinking very well & working both ends. Dad gets to enjoy himself......

Bon Voyage to the Freedom of the Seas sailers today, just about time for the ship to leave Miami.

Got a call from my friend at 6:07 and the ship was underway. Still on code red, so you Freedom sailers DO NOT lean on anything, especially if wearing dark clothing. :)

Have a fantastic time and stay healthy!!

T

Got a call from my friend at 6:07 and the ship was underway. Still on code red, so you Freedom sailers DO NOT lean on anything, especially if wearing dark clothing. :)

Have a fantastic time and stay healthy!!

T

Not being a code buster, What is CODE RED???:o

Code Red means they are operating under enhanced sanitation operation. Every 30 mins all surfaces must be sprayed with bleach/disinfectant. No hand shaking with the crew. No self service in the Windjammer. Johnny Rockets closed. Dining room closed for breakfast/lunch daily. No buffet on Labadee or Coco Cay. etc

Code Red means they are operating under enhanced sanitation operation. Every 30 mins all surfaces must be sprayed with bleach/disinfectant. No hand shaking with the crew. No self service in the Windjammer. Johnny Rockets closed. Dining room closed for breakfast/lunch daily. No buffet on Labadee or Coco Cay. etc

Bob, why is the dining room be closed for lunch? I thought that would be safer than the Windjammer? I'm NOT questioning you :D :D

###

Why would one be entitled to compensation if you got sick on board? People get sick all the time. It's not the cruise line's fault if someone gets sick. They obviously try to keep this virus from spreading but the cruise line didn't cause it. People are currently being compensated because their ship did not sail on time.

Bob, why is the dining room be closed for lunch? I thought that would be safer than the Windjammer? I'm NOT questioning you :D :D

###

It's more of a staffing issue. All of the dining staff is up serving people the buffet in the windjammer, and doing double time cleaning and sanitizing.

T

Archived