Names outside your stateroom door?

negc

Personally I liked having the name tags outside. I don't have a problem with people seeing my name, because that is all they are seeing. It is not like they have all my personal details on display for all to see.

The majority of people kept their name tags at the doorway for the duration of the cruise, so it looks as though most people don't have a problem with it.:)

If you don't like it, take it down, and keep it as a memento.;)

Don't you think there are cheaper venues to try and "blackmail" someone??..like perhaps maybe at a grocery store instead of the "purp" spending money to cruise alongside you????...what has it gotten to teh point where people are afraid of there own shadows?...It's abig MEAN world out there!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

In my opinion there has been a deliberately cultivated culture of FEAR in the United States for the past 6+ years. It has evidently been very successful on at least part of the population. I, for one, refuse to live my life in fear :mad: . And I deeply resent the attempt to make us all cowards.

Carol

Well said Carol! We were saddened on our visit to Egypt four years ago when we realised that there was only ONE american on the Nile Cruise part of our vacation. He was a young man who said that his friends and family thought he was crazy visiting Egypt especially as he had come straight from a visit to UK includng Northern ireland.

We're glad you don't live your life in fear Carol, life is too short to miss out on living it to the full!

I liked having my name on my door on the Diamond in April this year and thought it was a lovely 'touch.' I suppose I like to talk to all I meet anyway so exchanging names comes easy.

Hi There Folks,

Well said Carol, I did not want to make coment on they way folks in the USA see things, because there views are different from the rest of the world , but that does not mean to say that they are wrong or right, just different.

I am a Scot and I will go any where in the world OK some places are not as safe as others, but you change your dress, the way you act and you show respect to others. So far it has worked OK for me, I still view my chances of being attacked less than being run over by a bus crossing the street.

yours Shogun

Okay...so your name is on the door.

Next day (after a phone call to an accomplice) your house is broken into (after all...you're away for a week...aren't you?)

...such an effort. And, requires cruise fare.

So much easier to break into your parked car back at the

airport, and steal your registration and garage door opener.

Also, if I can't put the door tag out with my name and cabin

number, how do I order room-service breakfast, or fruit?

I like the the names on our "SAIL MAIL" box. When people are delivering invitaions and other items, hopefully they will look at the names and make sure they are dropping them off at the right room.

Also it helps people at least on arrival to know that they are at the right room. People get confused and may be on the wrong deck and I think it's a great way to be welcomed to your room. There is no problem taking your names off your "SAIL MAIL" box.

Have you ever walked down the hall and saw someone trying to get in their room and then sheepishly look at the names and realize, it isn't their room?

My sentiments exactly. I have no problem with my name outside the door to my cabin. I actually like it. :)

I guess Carol, Ann, Pam and I are just fearless ! Brave women who are not afraid to have our names on our doors ! Go for it girls.

I agree with the previous poster (Carol?) who pointed to the culture of fear in the US. Personally as a middle aged woman, I find it discouraging and sad. Just the other night I was watching a show on PBS about the night Hitler bombed the heck out of London and whole areas around St Pauls were in flames.

The next day, signs were up all over London "Business As Usual".

While not a good anology, this board times out on me when I try and write a long and cogent post...

Rereading the last few comments, I would add that when younger I too went to Northern Ireland (my mom dragged me their after seeing Roots, for those of you old enough to remember).

I ended up in Israel after the scud attacks (with my five year old and no man insight). I have a friend who still travels there every year with her children to visit her aged mother who is a holocaust survivor - her parents were killed and she was a teenage orphan. Went from Poland to work in Germany. That fooled them !

Our world is going to get very small if we give into fear. Even within our own country.

BTW my husband was doing business during the WTC attacks- saw it from his conference room window. We agreed that he would take a late train home that night instead of adding to the problems on the street. He works in Rock Center which is a high profle target.

I did not rush to pick up my children in school, they took the bus home. I am not going to teach them to panic, but to be prudent.

Hi Jacqueline,

While I am to young to have been around when the bombs were falling during WW2 the fact that I am here shows that mum and dad both made it, however I am old enough to have traveled on London buses, the under ground gone to Northern Ireland, family served in the army there, shopped in Manchester as well as being caught up in bomb scares in Europe

terror only works if you allow it , to I do not allow it to affect me in anyway,

now looking at the press I would consider America to be a very dangerous place to visit, street gangs, shootings drug dealing etc every night some new horror story on the news.

However it is only a few days before I fly to the states,

am I worried about flying on a US plane no, if it gets hyjacked well not much I can do about it either the plane will crash, blow up or be shot down

as for walikng the streets am I concerned no, will I take advice about where to go at what times of day etc yes.

May be a little more love is required and a little less war.

But if we do not talk to each other how will be understand each other.

yours Shogun

Shogun- .

What cities are you traveling to ? NYC is one of the safest cities in the world.

Years ago I would not have driven thru Harlem at night to go home, but now I do. Times Square is safer than ever. My 83 year old MIL just moved to Manhattan from the 'burbs. She walks to work.

The biggest problem you would have in NY are the crowds who come for Christmas.

As you said, the usual precautions apply here as they do in every major city. The news tends to be sensational. I am sure that you have researched your destinations and have a picture as to the do's and don'ts. You seem to have plenty of common sense which goes a long way no matter where one is.

Have a wonderful trip !

ps- when I sailed the QE2 out of NY decades ago, they had very tight security procedures due to the ongoing IRA activity. We certainly admired and appreciated the methodical response to the ongoing terrorism. It also made us realize that Europeans had a lot more to deal with on a daily basis.

Hi Jacqueline,

Like you said the news reports are so misleading or atleast I hope so or I will not last a day in the US.

This visit we are staying in Ft Lauderdale for a few days, in the summer New York amd next Christams Miami.

Have a Happy Christmas and a Good New Year.

yours Shogun

Hi Shogun- The newspapers here rarely talk about all of the good things happening in the US-like Mrs. Smith made strawberry jam for all of her neighbors or Mr. Smith takes care of lost animals.

Most of the people here are just good folks- IMHO- just like most everywhere in the world.

LOL!!!!!! Thanks for the great thread!

I've never seen so many great ideas in one place for paying off my cruise so it was free! :D

Let see.... Blackmail, calling my buddies around the world for a quick burglarly job, identity theft, ripping off their car, their luggage, probably kidnapping and ransoming their kids while onboard....and probably a few I forgot already....

I like free cruises...and I'd be hard at work all that time!

Yup, you must have seen me already...going down the halls peering at all the black and silver tags.....

:D:D:D

On a halfway (can't help it, I'm laughing so hard) serious note, I like our name tags and if I had any problem, I'd just take them down. We take them at the end of our cruise for souveniers too. We do like looking at them to see who the honeymooners next door are, who has lots of cruises, whether we at our cabin or trying to use our key on someone else's cabin (sorry), and for our Steward.

On a helpful note, if you don't like the nametags, you could probably get new ones from the Purser (or make your own) with just your first names, or initials, or your CC nicknames on it...I'm sure they'd be glad to do that. Or even false names....

On cruises, I try not to sweat the small stuff.....

Anne, Kenexx, Shogun, Pescado, SonomaPhil, Jacqueline - It's heartening to find so many others who also refuse to live their lives being afraid all the time. Maybe we can all find ways to shine a little light into dark corners and thereby show others the face of the bogyman isn't really so scary. And, yes, we're also going to leave our name tags on the bulkhead next to the door :D .

Carol (and Linda).

Anne, Kenexx, Shogun, Pescado, SonomaPhil, Jacqueline - It's heartening to find so many others who also refuse to live their lives being afraid all the time. Maybe we can all find ways to shine a little light into dark corners and thereby show others the face of the bogyman isn't really so scary. And, yes, we're also going to leave our name tags on the bulkhead next to the door :D .

Carol (and Linda).

Excellent Carol and Linda. I want to be able to find your cabin so I know where to bring the Bombay Sapphire to for the odd sundowner G & T on the Sun :D :D :D

Maurice

April- the people in NE are really nice ! My son goes to school in New Hampshire.

This may be a good time to think about what names we would like to put up on our stateroom doors to foil the evil-doers (is that a word?). I can make the labels up on my P-touch. For example, at home, I keep my jewels in a bin labeled "dog biscuits" (which is right next to my paper shredder).

I think I'll go as ....Angeline Jolie. More like Jodie Foster, unfortunately. Ok,ok Helen Mirren. That will fool them for sure.

When we sailed on the Sapphire Princess last Spring, my wife and I were surprised to find our names posted on stickers outside of our stateroom. Given the serious concerns about personal privacy and security, this practice seems to be contrary to what you might expect nowadays. Does anyone know Princess' rationale for doing this?:confused:

I loved having the names on our door. It is a nice, classy touch.

A few times, it helped my grandkids (who are 7 and 14) find our room.

I doubt, even in today's world, that someone would use the name tags to harm another person aboard a cruise ship. Why be worried about name tags when you're more likely to be harmed driving to the airport, crossing the street, or swimming in a pool?

What kind of life is it if you're living in constant fear? It's such a shame that we live fearful lives thanks to the media and our own government.:(

Carol (and Linda) AND Kennex,

I have just noticed that you are all going to be on the Sun in 2008 (Sydney - San Francisco). That is a wonderfull itinerary and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. All the best for your future holiday plans and please raise a glass of Bombay Sapphire to us!

Alan and I were on the Diamond in April/May this year doing the same itinerary with the 'DUSTS'. We went with Dave & Sandra (S&D) (Dave is Alan's brother) and met some lovely people, PescadoAmarillo to mention just one couple!

We would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a - A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

Archived