Does Anyone Really book the Penthouse for the World Cruise?

Toad

Recently we got our brochure for the Grand World Voyage, and admittedly we were dreaming. We were wondering what it would cost to book the PH for the GWV and saw that it would be over 300,000 dollars for the two of us!!!!! So even if we won a million dollar scratch ticket we still couldn't afford the trip as you only get about 37,000 dollars a year. Therefore, we were wondering if anyone ever really books it, or is simply upgraded to it?

Recently we got our brochure for the Grand World Voyage, and admittedly we were dreaming. We were wondering what it would cost to book the PH for the GWV and saw that it would be over 300,000 dollars for the two of us!!!!! So even if we won a million dollar scratch ticket we still couldn't afford the trip as you only get about 37,000 dollars a year. Therefore, we were wondering if anyone ever really books it, or is simply upgraded to it?
I'm sure there are people that actually pay the rate to book the PH for a world cruise, but you won't find me among them. The PH was still available for the 2005 GWV about a month or so before sailing, as I recall. I have no idea if the occupants booked it or were upgraded to it.

I know someone who was powerful and rich enough not only to book the best suite on a ship but managed to have another person bumped who had already booked it! The couple's private 727 followed the ship in case they wanted to leave on a whim. Sure enough, about two weeks later they decided they wanted to leave and off they want. They didn't like the food!!! When you are talking billions a few hundred thousand is not something to be that concerned about. Relate it to paying somewhere around $50. for a cruise and you will get the picture. After all, a paltry one billion is equal to a million million. Some people can't spend it as fast as they make it and most of those are worth much more than a billion:eek:. Just look at the mega-yachts in St. Bart's the next time the cruise ship docks there. Most of those owners are members of the club and obviously they do not live like you and me (at least not me). Also true of the owners of apartments on the ResidenSea. And now there are plans to build another such condo cruise ship. But are they really happy??:D

Here are my two cents!:):)

Lets remove HAL from the picture and what about Cunard they have a two level suite and I believe there are two on each ship. I think this year both are doing world cruises so how much are these I would guess 75000 USD plus and sold out.

Also the creme of the creme Silver Seas they have a world cruise and sold out like hot cakes. I believe it was selling for a minimum on all suites 50,000 to 75,000 so the owner suite had to go for at least 150,000 to 200,000 per person and all suites sold out no more then a week after they went on sale.

Paul

why is it so amazing that someone out there actually pays for the accomodation they booked:confused:

incredibly enough, there are "regular people" in existence who never heard of the word "upgrade" or the phrase "guaranteed" when it comes to reserving a particular cabin on a given itinerary

you don't need a PhD to figure out that $300,000.00 is a "tad steep" to have a penthouse on the world cruise .. but don't forget, that's just the "room" .. doesn't include tips, bar bill or tours;)

by the way, you also don't need a PhD to earn enough money to afford the penthouse on the world cruise .. just take a look at the Japanese pitcher who is about to sign with the Red Sox for something in the vincinity of $51 million for 6 or eight years .. don't think he'd need an upgrade:eek:

he might complain about $30 in Pinnacle though:)

Therefore, we were wondering if anyone ever really books it, or is simply upgraded to it?

Sure they do. But they are not people like you and me. They are retired corporate presidents who got killer retirement benefits (think golden parachute), captains of industry (think Bill Gates) and other such folks who are not well known.

There's a lot of folks with lots of money out there. They either earned it, inherited it or won it. Yes, for them $300,000+ for a world cruise would not be a stretch, and if they're gonna take such a voyage, they want to do it only first class. So, yes, they would book the penthouse suite and if they couldn't get it, they would go on another line that would offer it to them.

Just imagine, though, how nice that would be. And, if you have a lot of money, you wouldn't even miss that $300,000. Picture winning a big Powerball Prize ... say in excess of $100 mil. Would $300,000 - $350,000 for a World Cruise seem so much then? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

you don't need a PhD to figure out that $300,000.00 is a "tad steep" to have a penthouse on the world cruise .. but don't forget, that's just the "room" .. doesn't include tips, bar bill or tours;)

Yeah, but you're gonna have those tips, bar bills and tours even in the cheap seats. So anyone pondering a World Cruise has to factor them in ... even if they were staying in an inside guarantee. And have you checked the prices on some of those overland shore excursions ... the ones that leave the ship for a few days? We're talking two and three grand per person here! If you even consider a World Cruise ... in any accommodations ... you'd best have some resources beyond the cost of your basic cruise. Otherwise, what would be the point of going?

The thing I find amazing is that the auto-tips in the penthouse are the same as they are in the cheapest inside cabin. Then I guess HAL depends on the penthouse occupant to tip more on his own. Amazing!

Blue skies ...

--rita

why is it so amazing that someone out there actually pays for the accomodation they booked:confused:

incredibly enough, there are "regular people" in existence who never heard of the word "upgrade" or the phrase "guaranteed" when it comes to reserving a particular cabin on a given itinerary

by the way, you also don't need a PhD to earn enough money to afford the penthouse on the world cruise .. just take a look at the Japanese pitcher who is about to sign with the Red Sox for something in the vincinity of $51 million for 6 or eight years .. don't think he'd need an upgrade:eek:

he might complain about $30 in Pinnacle though:)

This is such a great post IMO

I don't know the actual numbers but strongly suspect an overwhelming majority of people on each cruise actually booked their cabin by number and paid the price they were quoted. They decided if that cabin on that ship was worth that amount of money to them and they 'bought it'. They didn't agonize for months about whether they would get something more than they paid for. How comforting. Some of them might get more than they paid for but they KNOW for sure the least they will get.......barring some very unexpected, unforeseeable event.

I know this is going off subject and am sorry, Toad, for drifting.

yeah......... We now have a pitcher here in Boston they paid $103 million for. What is the value of some guy with less than startling statistics??? I guess it is whatever someone will pay.

That's the value of most things in life......including the Penthouse for a World Cruise.

This is an interesting thread and to ponder who might choose to sail in a $300K PH cabin.

At $300K, one can charter, if they do not already own their own yacht and go anywhere they want, whenever they want. They can also fly their private jet around the world.

Who is it that prefers a HAL experience over a private yacht where the entire ship is at your beck and call?

If it sells, I suspect it does so on a segment basis.

It makes no sense otherwise.

At $300K, one can charter, if they do not already own their own yacht and go anywhere they want, whenever they want. They can also fly their private jet around the world.

Obviously, I've never priced it out, but I cannot imagine you can charter a yacht and sail wherever you want ... for 100+ days ... for 300K. No way. And, while I agree ... you can probably charter a private jet to take you to pretty much any destination you wish for $300K, I doubt you would have that jet at your beck and call for 100+ days for that amount of money.

While a private yacht will take you wherever you want to go, sometimes being on a sailing via a commercial cruise line, has its benefits. The service infrastructure is there ... meals, entertainment, bar and lounge service, a concierge, organized excursions all set up, etc. All this, plus truly luxury accommodations. I can't see where you could go wrong. True, maybe HAL wouldn't be the best choice for someone with unlimited funds, but certainly a Silversea or Crystal may be.

Personally, I think if your available funds were up on the level where booking the penthouse were a very real option, I can see that penthouse as being a very, very attractive option ... whether it be on a HAL ship or a more upscale line.

Blue skies ...

--rita

JMO, but I believe anyone who would pay $300,000 for the PH on the Amsterdam for 2 legs of the cruise would probably be more inclined to sail on one of the super super upscale lines where there are all suite pax who are their "monetary class equals" rather than get themselves on a world cruise paying for the highest category and standing in line with us mere mortals in the Lido buffet line. Unless of course they would get a free upgrade from the S class or who want to look down on the "lowly" S pax (JK):D

I know someone who was powerful and rich enough not only to book the best suite on a ship but managed to have another person bumped who had already booked it! The couple's private 727 followed the ship in case they wanted to leave on a whim. Sure enough, about two weeks later they decided they wanted to leave and off they want. They didn't like the food!!! When you are talking billions a few hundred thousand is not something to be that concerned about. Relate it to paying somewhere around $50. for a cruise and you will get the picture. After all, a paltry one billion is equal to a million million. Some people can't spend it as fast as they make it and most of those are worth much more than a billion:eek:. Just look at the mega-yachts in St. Bart's the next time the cruise ship docks there. Most of those owners are members of the club and obviously they do not live like you and me (at least not me). Also true of the owners of apartments on the ResidenSea. And now there are plans to build another such condo cruise ship. But are they really happy??:D

From everything I've read about billionaires who cruise, they either have their own ocean going yachts or lease one. The owners of condos on the ResidenSea, lease their condos when they want a break, some of them have them for business purposes and let their clients use the apartments for cruising...tax write offs.:)

JMO, but I believe anyone who would pay $300,000 for the PH on the Amsterdam for 2 legs of the cruise would probably be more inclined to sail on one of the super super upscale lines where there are all suite pax who are their "monetary class equals" rather than get themselves on a world cruise paying for the highest category and standing in line with us mere mortals in the Lido buffet line.

Naaaaaa, you'd never find them in the Lido buffet line. They'd be having a full room service breakfast delivered to them en suite. After all, they've sure got the room to enjoy full breakfast service there ... either in their private dining room or out on their huge balcony.

Somehow I tend to doubt the residents of the penthouse suite mingle too much with the "common folks." Sure they may do some of the ship's organized activities with them, maybe sun out by the pool occasionally. But the rest of the time, they are in their own little world up there on the Navigation Deck ... being pampered with first class service. Even at dinner, they generally have an officer hosting their table and plying them with free wine. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

If my memory serves me right, when George Bush "41" left office, he and former First Lady Barbara cruised on a Princess ship. Not only does he have the money but most assuredly the connections to sail any vessel that interests him.

He chose to sail a mass market, middle of the road, Caribbean itineary on a ship with all the regular folks.... :D and his cadre of Secret Service protection.

IF, (fun to dream) :) We were to ever win the sort of money being discussed here, I promise you we would continue to sail HAL. If we love when we are average folks, we would still love it if we were powerball winners.

HAL would be where we would want to be. Not on some yacht carting along a bunch of free loaders who were our 'new best friends'. I can't imagine I wouldn't want to be with the friends I care about now.....the friends we have on HAL ships. There are few places I am happier than when aboard a 'dam' ship with my DH. Why would I give that up just because I happened to get REALLY lucky and win a Lottery??

If my memory serves me right, when George Bush "41" left office, he and former First Lady Barbara cruised on a Princess ship. Not only does he have the money but most assuredly the connections to sail any vessel that interests him.

He chose to sail a mass market, middle of the road, Caribbean itineary on a ship with all the regular folks.... :D and his cadre of Secret Service protection.

IF, (fun to dream) :) We were to ever win the sort of money being discussed here, I promise you we would continue to sail HAL. If we love when we are average folks, we would still love it if we were powerball winners.

HAL would be where we would want to be. Not on some yacht carting along a bunch of free loaders who were our 'new best friends'. I can't imagine I wouldn't want to be with the friends I care about now.....the friends we have on HAL ships. There are few places I am happier than when aboard a 'dam' ship with my DH. Why would I give that up just because I happened to get REALLY lucky and win a Lottery??

Sorry, but I don't put the Bush family "up there" when it comes to class.:D

I wasn't discussing class. I was discussing the ability to pay for a "PS" for a World Cruise, which he can do; the choice he made to sail a mass market ship vs. a mega luxury yacht the likes of which most of us can only dream.

This was not a political or personal observation. Merely representative of the sort of person who could choose whatever they wanted and what that choice was. (I think it a great idea to leave politics out of all conversations on CC.) ;)

I wasn't discussing class. I was discussing the ability to pay for a "PS" for a World Cruise, which he can do; the choice he made to sail a mass market ship vs. a mega luxury yacht the likes of which most of us can only dream.

This was not a political or personal observation. Merely representative of the sort of person who could choose whatever they wanted and what that choice was. (I think it a great idea to leave politics out of all conversations on CC.) ;)

Oh, ok my apologies. I didnt' say that the Bushes COULDN'T pay for a PS on a world cruise, I said that I didn't believe they (generally speaking) WOULD. I still believe that.;)

(I think it a great idea to leave politics out of all conversations on CC.) ;)[/b]

You are correct...that's why I don't bring up politicians on the CC. There are plenty of other wealthy people who aren't in politics to mention on the CC board though.;)

This is an interesting thread and to ponder who might choose to sail in a $300K PH cabin.

If it sells, I suspect it does so on a segment basis.

It makes no sense otherwise.

this thread is starting to become fun IMO

who would pay $300,000.00 to sail in the PH cabin?

answer is simple: someone with $300,000.00 who wanted to:eek:

HoneyGV .. take heart .. the PH pax is also mortal:) the plumbing is also essential for them;)

by the way: I've spoken numerous times to world cruise crew: just about the entire ship (including those in the inside cabins) orders room service for breakfast .. also, the Disco opens nightly but is usually closed by 10 (and that's a busy night):D

have to agree with Sails though: if I won the "big one", chances are I wouldn't change my sailing habits .. I'd just do it more often:cool:

You are correct...that's why I don't bring up politicians on the CC. There are plenty of other wealthy people who aren't in politics to mention on the CC board though.;)

Seeing as I don't travel among the 'mega-rich', I don't know of any other example of a very wealthy, well-connected individual who could have use of just about any private yacht that interested him/her, who chose to sail a mass market cruise line.

I'm sure there are others but few in the category of such world influence who knows 'em all and if not, they surely know of him.

Who else do you know of who sailed as a 'regular pax' on a cruise ship right along with the rest of us regular folks?

Seeing as I don't travel among the 'mega-rich', I don't know of any other example of a very wealthy, well-connected individual who could have use of just about any private yacht that interested him/her, who chose to sail a mass market cruise line.

I'm sure there are others but few in the category of such world influence who knows 'em all and if not, they surely know of him.

Who else do you know of who sailed as a 'regular pax' on a cruise ship right along with the rest of us regular folks?

Rosie O'Donnell, Regis Philban, Sly Stallone, Kelly Ripa, Kathy Lee Gifford, and several professional football players who I can't think of their names right now.:)

Archived