Does Anyone Really book the Penthouse for the World Cruise?

Toad

In response to the original posters question title - Yes they do. We have friends who did just that for a number of years. And yes, they did go to the Lido at times and participate in some shipboard activities. They are ever so nice and willing to spend time with us, who were in the lowest priced inside cabin on most of our joint cruises. I cannot speak about other PH folks, as when our friends were not in the PH, I had no idea who was.

They sailed the PH on a World Cruise for a number of years? How great is that? WoW!

I think just one World Cruise, in the PH or anywhere else would be enough for me.;)

Well as the OP I have decided that when I win the powerball I am booking the PH for the world cruise, but I am NOT going to worry about clothes as I will buy them as I go, and give them to others along the way. Why bother bringing them back I most certainly would never want to wear anything twice!

Oh Toad! If you're going to go that far, why not just bring your own tailor and spend the time looking and buying all those exotic materials found around the world to have your clothing made to order..while you're sailing? You can surely book a "lowly" balcony cabin for him/her along with an assistant.:D

Somehow I tend to doubt the residents of the penthouse suite mingle too much with the "common folks." Sure they may do some of the ship's organized activities with them, maybe sun out by the pool occasionally. But the rest of the time, they are in their own little world up there on the Navigation Deck ... being pampered with first class service. Even at dinner, they generally have an officer hosting their table and plying them with free wine. :)

We just got off (not naming names) one of the 'dam ships and were in the ("regular folks") cabin that shared a wall with the penthouse suite. I can't speak for all PH passengers ever to sail, but the behavior of these particular PH passengers was definitely on par with what you describe above. We often found ourselves running into these folks in the hallway or elevator and they were very snippy and downright rude. They were also very loud - playing their cabin stereo at all hours of the day and night and hosting loud parties on their balcony (which, of course, adjoined ours).

On disembarkation day they left quite early so we did get a chance to tour the PH and honestly, while it was lovely, I found it a bit over-the-top and couldn't really see how it would be worth the money to use it. Then again, that price range is a little out of my league in the first place!

Years ago on Royal Viking we talked to some of the crew/entertainers about the World Cruise. RVL had a number of ladies that booked the full cruise year after year - in 2 cabins. An outside for themselves and an inside for their clothes. If memory serves, there weren't many inside cabins available for passengers - so many were used for closets. They weren't about to wear the same evening gown twice.

As for air ... nope, don't have that high of expense, nor a return home cruise on the QE2 to worry about (she doesn't cruise to Dallas). Round trip to NYC or Ft. Lauderdale is only about $250, at worst.
Greg - A wee bit of help for your budget - I 'believe' that air is included in the cruise fare for full cruise passengers.

Very wee. :)

But every little bit helps.

In thinking about how to go about saving -- and in chatting with Laffnvegas about it) -- I think I've reached a good plan.

Once my car is paid off, I will begin to deposit an amount equivalent to that car payment into an investment account, and I do this until it's time for me to get a new car. Since I tend to keep cars a long time -- 3 to 5 years beyond pay-off -- I know I can build up a tidy little sum before needing to get a new car. While I'm paying on my new car the amount of money I've deposited will earn compounding interest ... and, if needed, I can repeat the process for one more cycle. By the time I retire the account should have accrued more than enough principle and interest income to pay for the cruise, plus all incidentals.

Thoughts, anybody?

Once my car is paid off, I will begin to deposit an amount equivalent to that car payment into an investment account, and I do this until it's time for me to get a new car. Since I tend to keep cars a long time -- 3 to 5 years beyond pay-off -- I know I can build up a tidy little sum before needing to get a new car. While I'm paying on my new car the amount of money I've deposited will earn compounding interest ... and, if needed, I can repeat the process for one more cycle. By the time I retire the account should have accrued more than enough principle and interest income to pay for the cruise, plus all incidentals.

Thoughts, anybody?

To make your plan even a little sweeter, don't buy a new car, buy a car that is a couple of years old. The depreciation money will add a few thousand dollars over the life of the car.

Not to be morbid or insensitive, but my parents live in a retirement community in Kansas City. When I'm looking to buy a car my dad keeps his eye out and I can usually find what I need. Some residents can no longer drive and others die, and their cars are sold. I always offer a fair deal usually the blue book value which has never been turned down. The past couple of cars I've bought have been several years old, well taken care of, and have extremely low mileage. I drive a lot for work and these work out well for me.

Greg - A wee bit of help for your budget - I 'believe' that air is included in the cruise fare for full cruise passengers.

I don't think that's necessarily true ... depends on the stateroom category booked. There are a lot of nice ammenities offered to World Cruise and Grand Voyage passengers, but you must book a minimum category (one of the outside staterooms) in order to get them. Folks booking the lowest level staterooms won't qualify for any of these ammenities which include free air (first class or coach depends upon category stateroom booked), free luggage shipment to the ship (limits depend also upon stateroom category), included gratuities, OBC, etc.

Believe me, I know this stuff ... cause I've been absolutely drooling over HAL's 2008 Grand Voyages brochure for the past week. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Once my car is paid off, I will begin to deposit an amount equivalent to that car payment into an investment account, and I do this until it's time for me to get a new car.

LOL ... go one better and sell the car. Take the bus. You'll save a freakin bundle! How do you think I can afford to take that Hawaii/South Pacific voyage again so soon? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived