Does Anyone Really book the Penthouse for the World Cruise?

Toad

"Quote" Sure they do. But they are not people like you and me. They are retired corporate presidents who got killer retirement benefits (think golden parachute), captains of industry (think Bill Gates) and other such folks who are not well known.

yep, and some of these captains of industry etc. so to speak have not got their big bucks honestly! In fact I think some of them are on their way to not the very best money can buy at sea, but on their way for a stretch behind horizontal bars. :)

Recently we got our brochure for the Grand World Voyage, and admittedly we were dreaming. We were wondering what it would cost to book the PH for the GWV and saw that it would be over 300,000 dollars for the two of us!!!!! So even if we won a million dollar scratch ticket we still couldn't afford the trip as you only get about 37,000 dollars a year. Therefore, we were wondering if anyone ever really books it, or is simply upgraded to it?

Yes, they do book & pay. A former client of my husband took his wife on a world cruise several years ago and they had the penthouse. I suppose they could afford it. Sold his company a few years back for 20 mil.

As much as these prices sound wayyyyyyyy out of reach to us working class Joes :).

Believe it or not there are still people out there with money to spend . and i just don't mean actors , actresses , sport stars etc. the ones we know have the bucks.

I read the 'Property Trasnsfer" section of the sunday paper every week. The list of homes bought and sold that week in our area and how much.

Every week the list is at least two or three pages long and its nothing to see 20 maybe 30 homes being bought for $1 million and up !!!! and I have never recognized a single name of either the buyers or sellers as anyone famous or a "known" millionaire. And this listing is for just one county of one state. So I have no idea how many are being bought throught the country . So someone out that has some money on them.

Rosie O'Donnell, Regis Philban, Sly Stallone, Kelly Ripa, Kathy Lee Gifford, and several professional football players who I can't think of their names right now.:)

Regis and Kathy Lee Gifford.......Yeah! That was business and deductible if they paid at all. Kathy was paid well by Carnival to be their advertising spokesperson for a number of years. I remember all those ads on TV.

The rest of your list??? Who woulddaknown? I guess I need to read the celebrity news sheets more often. :D

With companies like Goldman Sachs passing out $16MM bonuses - there are lots more "working" folks out there who are able to afford the PH on the world cruise than I think you might imagine...

...they also drive Aston Martins and Bentleys, have $20MM apartments in Manhattan as well as estates in Vail, the Hamptons and Palm Springs - and have staff to do their packing for them. ;)

BTW Jonathan, QM2 has 5 duplex apartments overlooking the stern as well as the two massive apartments with private elevators overlooking the bow.

Re: Private Yachts Folks of privlidge generally don't take them on World Cruises (owned or chartered) as that in itself is an extremely costly prospect: Generally a mega-yacht charter runs in the range of $15-25,000+/week plus the cost of food & liquor.

The PH on Amsterdam for the WC is a relative bargain in comparison...;)

yep, and some of these captains of industry etc. so to speak have not got their big bucks honestly! In fact I think some of them are on their way to not the very best money can buy at sea, but on their way for a stretch behind horizontal bars. :) [/i]

Wonder if you could arrange to get house arrest in the penthouse onboard a HAL ship? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

have to agree with Sails though: if I won the "big one", chances are I wouldn't change my sailing habits .. I'd just do it more often:cool:

Same here. Those luxury lines would probably be too "stuffy" for me. I'd prefer HAL, and would probably routinely book myself into one of the luxury suites. The penthouse would be way too big for me.

While I wouldn't change my line of choice, however, I sure would change my sailing habits. Ummmmm, let's see how long it would take to beat some of those HAL legends with thousands of days. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Regis and Kathy Lee Gifford.......Yeah! That was business and deductible if they paid at all. Kathy was paid well by Carnival to be their advertising spokesperson for a number of years. I remember all those ads on TV.

The rest of your list??? Who woulddaknown? I guess I need to read the celebrity news sheets more often. :D

Now hold on Sail7, you asked who else sailed as regular pax who was world known, or something to that effect. I named a few people. I don't know, and I doubt if you know if the Bush family paid the same fare as "regular pax". I DO know that famous people and the very rich do not pay retail...for anything. In fact, much is given to them gratis just for the PR it generates.

As far as I know, Kathy Lee and Regis don't sail CARNIVAL only. They might sail on other lines as well, do they or any celebrities and well known people pay the same fare as "regular" folk? Unless they tell us directly themselves, we just don't know.

I brought up celebrities because you mentioned Bush, who is a celebrity himself. Of course I didn't think you mentioned his name because of politics just as I didn't mean I didn't think the Bush family has no class whether they are in politics or not. Many people say the same thing about other celebrities who are rich. I would say all are admired by SOME.

The cruise I took last February had a famous author onboard in the PH or "S" suite with his parents who were also in the "S" suite and I spent time with them in the Neptune. His mother and I got friendly because she was pushing her husband around in a wheelchair and had a problem negotiating the thresholds and I showed her how to manuver it around so she wouldn't topple him out of the chair entering the Neptune. She seemed to be forever grateful for the tip.:)

I still believe that the mega rich, or even comfortably rich who have been wealthy for a period of time who are not considered "nouveau riche" mostly sail, if they sail, on cruise lines where there are more people who they have more in common with than "regular" people or the family who books a Penthouse suite because they are celebrating a wedding or some very special occasion. JMO, no big deal. I certainly don't think it's worth arguing about.;)

I know one couple, the Rozenburgs, who book BOTH penthouses, Queen Mary Suite and Queen Elizabeth Suite on board Queen Elizabeth 2, every year for the full world cruise. They have been doing this for quite a few years now. They take both penthouses because they don't want anyone else to have one and they bring guests in to sail with then for a week or two on various segments. It must set them back close to $1 million a year.

When the new QUEEN MARY 2 was being built they purposely designed two penthouse for the Rozenburgs. The problem is they refuse to sail in the MARUY because the Queen's Grill is no-smoking!

On the ROTTERDAM world cruise... 2001 I think, two passengers joined for the full cruise. They were in a suite and found out that the penthouse was avaailable. The husband dropped $100,000 in cash on the Purser's desh and moved in! The hsband was abou 99 and his wife... former nurse was about 35. She was spending excessively... up to $30,000 in the shops on some days... and after about a month on the rcuse she was banned from most bars and by the time the ship got to Sydney she was not even allowed to have any booze in the cabin (penthouse). I saw this woman on board in Sydney while visiting the ship. When I spotted her near the Front Desk wearing a flowered frock, floppy hat and heavy brown work boots... I kid you not.... I exclaimed to Captain Dijk, "What is That!". She looked like one of the cast from HeeHaw!

Stephen

If anyone else has read The Millionaire Next Door you may remember that there are many folks who live in ordinary houses, drive not-so-new middle price cars, send their kids to public schools and have more in the bank than many of the so-called wealthy folks. These quiet millionaires would prudently book the cheaper cabins, might possibly book a verandah to pamper themselves just a little, even though they could afford a lot more.

Working for several wealthy people, I find it amazing that they have someone else call and negotiate special rates for the penthouse suite. Once the trip is booked, thanks to the personal assistant who chased down completely unique fares, they will 1. cancel their entire trip for some small reason like not wanting to face airport traffic to get there, or 2. they will leave halfway through their trip, because the food/service/room was bad, it "might" rain, or they wanted to get back to work. There seems to be no real mental peace for them...

I know one couple, the Rozenburgs, who book BOTH penthouses, Queen Mary Suite and Queen Elizabeth Suite on board Queen Elizabeth 2, every year for the full world cruise. They have been doing this for quite a few years now. They take both penthouses because they don't want anyone else to have one and they bring guests in to sail with then for a week or two on various segments. It must set them back close to $1 million a year.

When the new QUEEN MARY 2 was being built they purposely designed two penthouse for the Rozenburgs. The problem is they refuse to sail in the MARUY because the Queen's Grill is no-smoking!

On the ROTTERDAM world cruise... 2001 I think, two passengers joined for the full cruise. They were in a suite and found out that the penthouse was avaailable. The husband dropped $100,000 in cash on the Purser's desh and moved in! The hsband was abou 99 and his wife... former nurse was about 35. She was spending excessively... up to $30,000 in the shops on some days... and after about a month on the rcuse she was banned from most bars and by the time the ship got to Sydney she was not even allowed to have any booze in the cabin (penthouse). I saw this woman on board in Sydney while visiting the ship. When I spotted her near the Front Desk wearing a flowered frock, floppy hat and heavy brown work boots... I kid you not.... I exclaimed to Captain Dijk, "What is That!". She looked like one of the cast from HeeHaw!

Stephen

ROTFL, not to digress too much, but that sounds like a true story I have about a guy who lived on Key Biscayne with his wife in a beautiful home. He was the owner of a business I managed for him and he held some kind of an English title, spoke with the British accent and we'd crack up when he'd call in to the office to tell me he wouldn't be in because he couldn't get off the island.

One day a friend and I were over on Key Biscayne and decided to go over to his house (he was expecting us) for lunch. We got there and rang the bell, and I kid you not, this guy...a "SIR" something or other, came CRAWLING to the door with nothing on but a very loose fitting bathrobe, exposed for all to see. He was drunk as a skunk (not to insult skunks) and his wife who was also English and held a title was just as blitzed if not more!

Just goes to show, that just because you might have a lot of money...and hold titles; class and good manners is something that can NOT be bought!:D

Being someone who dreams about taking the World Cruise some day, this thread has been a hoot. For me and mine, the thought of doing the world Cruise in the PH is just beyond conception. That kind of money -- the kind of money that could afford to buy such accommodations without caring or thinking about it -- is so foreign.

However, let's look at what it would take for someone like me to make the world cruise. We'll assume that I'm cruising solo, and not bringing someone with me.

According to HAL's website, as a solo traveler I could book the 2007 World Cruise in a J-Category Inside cabin for:

$28,966.04.

That's just the cruise fare.

Now, let's estimate my onboard expenses. On a long cruise I have found that my per-day spending, when averaged out over the full length of the cruise, is less (often much less) than on a shorter cruise. The dollar figure may be higher for the whole cruise, but not commensurately higher relative to the length of the cruise. On an average cruise I have found that I spend about 20% less than the per-day pre-authorization amount that HAL suggests as one's onboard spending. Not being a big drinker, some days I'll spend quite a bit less than that ... on other days, however, I'll spend quite a bit MORE that that in shore-excursions alone! So ... let's be conservative and say that my average daily expenses will equal about 70% of their estimated per-day pre-authorization. Rounding up, that comes to an average of $50 per day. This means that I will need to have $5350 available for onboard expenses. :eek: Estimate half-again as much for expenses on-shore, as well as for other expenses (extra tips) and the total comes to:

Cruise: $28,966.04

On-board Expenses: $5350

Shore Purchases: $2675

TOTAL: $36,991.04

<Greg sits back in his chair and stares at the figure on his screen>

$37,000 is a lot of money. It is a very substantial portion of my annual income. At first it looks just way too daunting of prospect to ever contemplate raising those kinds of funds. However ... I'm not contemplating making the World Cruise until I retire, so I have some time to work on this. According to the Pension Board I can expect to work until I'm 75 years old. So ... let's see ... how much would I have to save every year in order to be able to afford the 2030 World Cruise? We'll assume that the price will be, relatively, the same (within margins of error for inflation, etc) and that I will have at least 20 years to save money toward it. How much will I have to save every year for 20 years? That's easy: $1850 a year, or $154.16 per month.

<Greg grins>

Now THAT is do-able.

BTW - Our own Grumpy and Slinkie had an SS - a second-to-the-top-category suite - on Prinsendam for their 2005 World Cruise.

...and I'd certainly consider them "Normal" folks.

;)

(Of course, "Normal" is a relative term...)

:D

Stephen

I didn't know Anna Nicole Smith cruised....

:rolleyes: :eek:

BTW - I've met ANS personally.

"You can take the gal outta the trailer, but you can't take the trailer outta the gal..."

Greg....... I seriously doubt too many of us here at CC could 'manage' a PH for the going rate to do the World Cruise. Sure, there may be a few but most of us will never be in that league.

And, 'ya know what? That's fine by me. IF we were to do the WC, I am very sure it will not be in a PS unless someone decides to treat us to it. ;) Anyone offering?? Oops, I forgot. DH isn't retired. Sorry, can't go. :(

Greg....... I seriously doubt too many of us here at CC could 'manage' a PH for the going rate to do the World Cruise. Sure, there may be a few but most of us will never be in that league.

And, 'ya know what? That's fine by me. IF we were to do the WC, I am very sure it will not be in a PS unless someone decides to treat us to it. ;) Anyone offering?? Oops, I forgot. DH isn't retired. Sorry, can't go. :(

Judy, you mean you can't go .... YET. :)

Like me, I can't go ... YET.

But some day.

Some day I'll be the new Dolly Smith! Only ... a male version! :D

Naaaaaa, you'd never find them in the Lido buffet line. They'd be having a full room service breakfast delivered to them en suite. After all, they've sure got the room to enjoy full breakfast service there ... either in their private dining room or out on their huge balcony.

Somehow I tend to doubt the residents of the penthouse suite mingle too much with the "common folks." Sure they may do some of the ship's organized activities with them, maybe sun out by the pool occasionally. But the rest of the time, they are in their own little world up there on the Navigation Deck ... being pampered with first class service. Even at dinner, they generally have an officer hosting their table and plying them with free wine. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is the part I do not understand. If staying in their own little world is important, why bother sailing HAL? They can be pampered anywhere they choose to be and have an entire ship and the world at their beck and call.

As an aside, awhile back, someone, maybe Mr. Card or perhaps Grumpy, mentioned that some passengers booked two suites, one for them and one for their clothes.

[quote

That's just the cruise fare.

Cruise: $28,966.04

On-board Expenses: $5350

Shore Purchases: $2675

TOTAL: $36,991.04

<Greg sits back in his chair and stares at the figure on his screen>

$37,000 is a lot of money.

In MY day [ 1960s] anything that cost $36,000 had a basement under it!!!!!!!!

This is the part I do not understand. If staying in their own little world is important, why bother sailing HAL? They can be pampered anywhere they choose to be and have an entire ship and the world at their beck and call.

The PS passenger's I've known are normal folks who look just like you and me and enjoy the Lido as much as the next person.

As an aside, awhile back, someone, maybe Mr. Card or perhaps Grumpy, mentioned that some passengers booked two suites, one for them and one for their clothes.

On the gay charters, we all bring so much luggage (for the events and costume parties) that the ship's departure has been delayed by an hour or more - and yes, I know for certain that some folks on those charters have indeed pooled money with other passengers to book insides just for the excess luggage...

The PS passenger's I've known are normal folks who look just like you and me and enjoy the Lido as much as the next person.

On the gay charters, we all bring so much luggage (for the events and costume parties) that the ship's departure has been delayed by an hour or more - and yes, I know for certain that some folks on those charters have indeed pooled money with other passengers to book insides just for the excess luggage...

Brian- I was talking about the $300K PH world cruise passenger. Do you think they are in the Lido line for b-fast with the rest of us?

As for the Gay cruises, I love it. I only wish I could sail one without being tagged a hag :) The brought on entertainment and energy would be intoxicating.

Now this is something I have serious concerns about regarding a World Cruise (which someday I truly hope to do). Let's say you book an inside ... lowest category cabin ... how do you find the room for all the clothing one would need for a World Cruise? Do they bring in extra portable closets for your use ... or at least garment racks?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Brian- I was talking about the $300K PH world cruise passenger. Do you think they are in the Lido line for b-fast with the rest of us?

Would you be if you had all that space to spread out and enjoy a full breakfast en suite? I know I wouldn't. The problem I have with room service meals in my cabin is that because I generally book the lowest category accommodations, there really isn't enough room to truly enjoy eating a full meal in the cabin ... not unless you want to spread everything out on the bed. And then who wants to eat half reclined on the bed? But if I had the penthouse ... or even just one of the luxury suites ... with all that extra room, including the extra big balcony, I can't imagine padding off to the Lido in search of breakfast as soon as I got up.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived