Does Anyone Really book the Penthouse for the World Cruise?

Toad

Brian- I was talking about the $300K PH world cruise passenger. Do you think they are in the Lido line for b-fast with the rest of us?

Of course - particularly if they lived their working-life as early risers (as most entrepreneurs do) They get up and want their fresh coffee and hot toast too.

As for me, I only venture out for Second Breakfast.

First Breakfast is delivered and consumed en-suite and in bed every day.

:D

As for the Gay cruises, I love it. I only wish I could sail one without being tagged a hag :) The brought on entertainment and energy would be intoxicating.

There are str8 folks who prefer them, and aren't considered hags...

...but you might get hit on by a cute gal.

;)

Judy, you mean you can't go .... YET. :)

Like me, I can't go ... YET.

But some day.

Some day I'll be the new Dolly Smith! Only ... a male version! :D

I like the way you put that, Greg. Not YET. But, hopefully, someday. :)

And I sure hope we're aboard the 'dam' ship with you when you 'play Dolly'. :D

For the meantime, we'll have to make the most of our wonderful upcoming Noordam cruise. CAN"T WAIT. I am very excited in anticipation of crossing that gangway again.

As far as I know, Kathy Lee and Regis don't sail CARNIVAL only. They might sail on other lines as well, do they or any celebrities and well known people pay the same fare as "regular" folk? Unless they tell us directly themselves, we just don't know.

;)

Regis cruises fairly regularly....usually on Celebrity. But about a year or so ago, I heard him commenting that he had just returned from a Baltic cruise with Holland America. He didn't mention which ship or any particulars.....just said he enjoyed it.

In response to the original posters question title - Yes they do. We have friends who did just that for a number of years. And yes, they did go to the Lido at times and participate in some shipboard activities. They are ever so nice and willing to spend time with us, who were in the lowest priced inside cabin on most of our joint cruises. I cannot speak about other PH folks, as when our friends were not in the PH, I had no idea who was.

If anyone else has read The Millionaire Next Door you may remember that there are many folks who live in ordinary houses, drive not-so-new middle price cars, send their kids to public schools and have more in the bank than many of the so-called wealthy folks. These quiet millionaires would prudently book the cheaper cabins, might possibly book a verandah to pamper themselves just a little, even though they could afford a lot more.

Warren Buffet and the late Sam Walton would meet these criteria.

I can't imagine having the funds or time to even consider a world cruise in the PS. But, if by chance I had the funds to, I would rather book a much cheaper cabin and blow my retirement on the various HAL ships over several years and continents.

Right now I would be happy just to go on a tour of a penthouse suite.

After all, a paltry one billion is equal to a million million. Some people can't spend it as fast as they make it and most of those are worth much more than a billion:eek:. :D
I think someone needs to brush up on their math. One billion is equal to one thousand million. One million million is one trillion and only the government, not mere mortals, gets into those numbers:D

Now this is something I have serious concerns about regarding a World Cruise (which someday I truly hope to do). Let's say you book an inside ... lowest category cabin ... how do you find the room for all the clothing one would need for a World Cruise? Do they bring in extra portable closets for your use ... or at least garment racks?

Blue skies ...

--rita

We talked to one couple that had the couch removed from the cabin and brought in a portable rack. We managed OK in our SS which really didn't have much more storage space than an inside on Prinsendam. I'm not sure about storage differences on Amsterdam as I haven't been on that ship.

BTW - Our own Grumpy and Slinkie had an SS - a second-to-the-top-category suite - on Prinsendam for their 2005 World Cruise.

...and I'd certainly consider them "Normal" folks.

;)

(Of course, "Normal" is a relative term...)

:D

Hey, now. Them's fightin' words! I be called a lot of things, but "normal" isn't on the list:p

Technically, if the PS is the top suite, then the SS was third best behind the SA. They hadn't added in the sub categories when we were on in 2005. That same cabin is now an SY so when we return to it in January we'll be in the fifth best category.

I'll have to find out who is in the PS and ask them if they paid full price for the 66 days. Yeah, right!:rolleyes:

Well as the OP I have decided that when I win the powerball I am booking the PH for the world cruise, but I am NOT going to worry about clothes as I will buy them as I go, and give them to others along the way. Why bother bringing them back I most certainly would never want to wear anything twice!

I think someone needs to brush up on their math. One billion is equal to one thousand million. One million million is one trillion and only the government, not mere mortals, gets into those numbers:D

When I originally wrote my post I had said that a thousand million was a billion. But to be sure I went to my dictionary (American Heritage Dictionary) and they defined a billion as a million million. I am sure you are correct and that was my instinct. I guess you can't always believe the

dictionary:(

This is the part I do not understand. If staying in their own little world is important, why bother sailing HAL? They can be pampered anywhere they choose to be and have an entire ship and the world at their beck and call.

As an aside, awhile back, someone, maybe Mr. Card or perhaps Grumpy, mentioned that some passengers booked two suites, one for them and one for their clothes.

I think the main reason is that you can get sea sick much easier on a mega yacht than a large cruise ship. Once you have experienced the mal de mer you are likely not interested in repeating the experience if at all possible. Another reason might be that some ladies like to show off their finery and maybe even their husband:rolleyes:.

I think the main reason is that you can get sea sick much easier on a mega yacht than a large cruise ship. Once you have experienced the mal de mer you are likely not interested in repeating the experience if at all possible. Another reason might be that some ladies like to show off their finery and maybe even their husband:rolleyes:.

LOL. Are you sure it is not more likely to be showing off their wife?

Good points, stability and the ability to show off what you have are good reasons to book the PH if money does not matter.

Hallo Grumpy!

If I'm not mistaken, a billion in the USA is 1000 x 1 million as you say, but in Britain a billion is 1 million x 1 million.

I'll never forget a feature story I read once, "What a Trillion dollars would buy."

It went on to list that it would buy a million homes, thousands of hospitals, hundreds of schools, it would fund this and that sevice .... the list was almost endless. The at the end it said, "A trillion dollars is the estimated cost of the Starwars defence system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

My wife and I have an investment account set up solely for the purpose of saving money to reward ourselves with a HAL world cruise in the PS when we retire. We are very much "regular folks", and I don't consider $300K an unreasonable sum for that cabin, for that many nights, to sail the world.

Look at this way: the world cruise is about 100 nights, so $300K amounts to $3K per night. When we've booked the PS on our shorter cruises, it was for roughly $1.5K per night. Given that the world cruise is in such demand (and I've heard the PS is actually one of the FIRST cabins to go), that premium doesn't seem unfair.

I........The husband was abou 99 and his wife... former nurse was about 35. She was spending excessively... up to $30,000 in the shops on some days... and after about a month on the rcuse she was banned from most bars and by the time the ship got to Sydney she was not even allowed to have any booze in the cabin (penthouse).........

Stephen

Whoa!:eek: I didn't even know you could spend up to $30,000 in the onboard shops! That's a lot of ship magnets, coffee mugs and "Dam ship" T-shirts!!!

This is a very cool thread, thanks!

I didn't know Anna Nicole Smith cruised....

:rolleyes: :eek:

BTW - I've met ANS personally.

"You can take the gal outta the trailer, but you can't take the trailer outta the gal..."

ANS: A D-cup Bra and an A-cup Brain!:eek:

Top Ten Reasons Anna Nicole Smith is Bankrupt

10. Gets sued every time her Wonderbra flies off and kills a guy

9. Dead husband left her nothing but CBS stock

8. Victoria's Secret started charging by the yard

7. Constantly bribing janitors to let her in the back doors of nursing homes

6. $60,000 in Buttmaster repairs

5. Paid a ton to install giant ditch in front yard to catch old guys

4. John DuPont backed out of his promise to take care of her

3. Recently gave up modeling to study cold fusion

2. New husband George Burns just refuses to die

1. Two words: silicone a$$

Whoa!:eek: I didn't even know you could spend up to $30,000 in the onboard shops! That's a lot of ship magnets, coffee mugs and "Dam ship" T-shirts!!!

You can.

Trust me, you can.

Christopher was shopping on the Zaandam this last Cruise. He spotted an emerald he liked. He asked the shop keep how much it was listed for, and she checked, turned a strange shade of green, and said "$10,000."

Leave it to Christopher to pick, out of a cabinet of rings, the most expensive ring they've got.

He did NOT buy it. :D

Look at this way: the world cruise is about 100 nights, so $300K amounts to $3K per night. When we've booked the PS on our shorter cruises, it was for roughly $1.5K per night. Given that the world cruise is in such demand (and I've heard the PS is actually one of the FIRST cabins to go), that premium doesn't seem unfair.

It's certainly not an unreasonable amount ... just a bit out of my range, that's all. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

You can.

Trust me, you can.

Christopher was shopping on the Zaandam this last Cruise. He spotted an emerald he liked. He asked the shop keep how much it was listed for, and she checked, turned a strange shade of green, and said "$10,000."

Leave it to Christopher to pick, out of a cabinet of rings, the most expensive ring they've got.

He did NOT buy it. :D

The man obviously knows his emeralds!;)

We talked to one couple that had the couch removed from the cabin and brought in a portable rack. We managed OK in our SS which really didn't have much more storage space than an inside on Prinsendam. I'm not sure about storage differences on Amsterdam as I haven't been on that ship.

Thanks, Grumpy.

I had a Veranda Stateroom on my last cruise ... on the Amsterdam ... cause I was sharing with another woman. I believe there is more closet space in that cabin than in an inside ... though not much more ... especially when you consider that there were two of us sharing those quarters.

While the inside cabin has plenty of storage space for the average cruise ... even a 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific, I would imagine the space would get tight on a World Cruise. After all, you can't get away with only a couple of formal outfits for those number of cruising days. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived