St. Thomas question

PHreuD69

Is there a place where we can find out the number of cruise ships that will be in St. Thomas on the day we are there? We've heard Meghan's Bay gets fairly crowded on cruise ship days. We've never been to St. Thomas, so is this worth a visit, even with the crowds? What are the best sites on St. Thomas or Tortola?

having been to St. Thomas 20+ times, you should have absolutely no problem with crowds IMHO if there are only 4 ships in port

St. Thomas is a beautiful island and IMO well worth a tour including the "bay"

of course, shopping is "a" if not "the" highlight .. since this is your 1st time to the island, suggest you consider a tour and beaches in the morning and then lunch and shopping in the afternoon

along Main Street and actually down several side streets, this is jewelry store "heaven" .. :)

whatever you do, don't forget your credit card;)

having been to St. Thomas 20+ times, you should have absolutely no problem with crowds IMHO if there are only 4 ships in port

St. Thomas is a beautiful island and IMO well worth a tour including the "bay"

of course, shopping is "a" if not "the" highlight .. since this is your 1st time to the island, suggest you consider a tour and beaches in the morning and then lunch and shopping in the afternoon

along Main Street and actually down several side streets, this is jewelry store "heaven" .. :)

whatever you do, don't forget your credit card;)

I have to somewhat disagree with you on this: Yes, it is a beautiful island but I wouldn't head for Megans bay if there are 4 ships in port. Oh, maybe just to see it, yes, not for swimming, snorkeling, etc. It does get over run from time to time. Our daughter lived there for 2 years. You are about seeing the island, that much is true. NMnita

There were about 6 ships in port when we were there and the traffice was a nightmare. We went on Sunny Liston tours and he dropped us off at Little Switzerland and was to pick us up in 2 hours. We were hustled across the street, then across another street, then back to where we started. You couldn't move it was so crowded. Every stop we made on our tour was crowded.

We stopped and ate at the pizza place (can't remember the name) that was an open area. They DO NOT take American Express. We didn't realize that until we were done eating. We barely had enough cash to pay for lunch and our drinks.

We're not big shoppers and I don't wear jewelry so I don't care if I ever go back to St. Thomas again!!!

Just when I thought there were no longer deals to be had on jewelry anymore - a couple we met in the Crow's Nest on the Noordam steered us to Bobby's Jewelers. I got an incredible deal on two rings.

Normally, we steer clear and stay on the ship if there are more than 3-4 ships in port, it's just too crowded for us.

Last year, the Volendam tendered us right to the heart of town - it was perfect. We discovered those smoothie drinks made with Baileys, Kahlua, etc. and we go back every time we get a chance and stop in and have one or two... it's called the Happy Buzzard, or something like that...

If I'm running low on cash - St. Thomas is a good place for me to use an ATM - my bank reimburses me for any additional charges if I'm in a U.S. territory.

We went to St Thomas in Sept and there were 3 or 4 other ships in port. It was only crowded in the downtown area but everything else was fine. We rented a car and was able to explore on our own. In the afternoon, we went to Meghan's Bay. It was not very crowded and the water is nice. But if you want to go snorkling, then don't go there. There are no fish!

We went to St Thomas in Sept and there were 3 or 4 other ships in port. It was only crowded in the downtown area but everything else was fine. We rented a car and was able to explore on our own. In the afternoon, we went to Meghan's Bay. It was not very crowded and the water is nice. But if you want to go snorkling, then don't go there. There are no fish!

Archived