Vista Class Vs. R & S class

AWED23

The biggest difference is how much "extra excercise" I get going from the Crow's Nest to the dining room then on to the show lounge. :rolleyes:

Each class of ship has it's pluses and minuses, but I enjoy them all. On the Vistas, for example, I love all the elevators, especially the glass ones mid-ship. I prefer the Ocean Bar on the Vista's. But I prefer the Crow's Nest on the S class ships.

And I do wish they were more Prinsendams!

One of the great features of the Vista-class ships is the abundance of balcony cabins. The smaller ships offer balconies only with suites. This is not a consideration to those who only book suites, but many cruisers can't afford to book suites, but can a regular balcony cabin!

I, also, love those outside glass elevators!!!

Besides the abundance of affordable verandah cabins on the Vistas, I also like the set up in the Lido where there are multiple "stations", so you don't get the long line of people waiting for essentially a single serving point.

Also, I find that not having the kitchen block the full width of the ship on the lower dining level is more convenient.

However, I've only been on Vistas on European cruises where the ports can easily absorb the larger number of people. For small-port cruises, such as Alaska, I prefer the R class.

I really love the Dining Rooms on the older ships - they are much more open and feel like a single grand double-height room rather than two stacked single-height rooms*w/ a hole in the middle.* I also prefer the main show-lounges on the older ships - even though they are only two decks high, they feel open and grand whereas the Vista Lounges have sloped floors and multiple columns (the plumbing drains for the staterooms above) that block views from many seats.

I also prefer the Ocean Bar on the R-Class ships and Noordam where the band, dance floor and bar are all together instead of on opposite sides of the atrium and the bar behind a wall on the first 3 Vistas - it makes for a much more convivial atmosphere having them all together.

However, I agree that the glass elevators overlooking the ocean really are something special on the Vistas.* The length of the Vistas make them ride better on heavy seas, and I especially love the SS/SY category staterooms on the Vistas as well as the aft-facing staterooms and aft-corner suites.

I also prefer the atria on the Vistas with the Pinnacle Grill overlooking the atrium and the great revolving Waterford sculpture suspended from the gilded ceiling as opposed to the silly (IMO) towers/clocks/organs in the R-Class ships.*

The Pinnacle Grill's on the Vistas also have great big windows overlooking the sea - much nicer than the inward-focused Pinnacle's on the R-Class with windows facing a seldom-used corridor.

Overall, with the positives far outweighing the negatives - my preference is the Vista Class.

I think you'll find that some prefer the smaller ships while some prefer the Vista's.

I personally prefer the Vista ships. The glass elevators are fantastic, the lido seems to be laid out better, and the hydo pool is a plus for us as well. They're really well built ships. The only thing I don't like is the gift shop area, which can get a little chaotic. Also, price is a consideration for us as well, and since there are more balcony cabins on a Vista, the prices for these tend to be lower than on an S-class.

I've sailed on the Veendam twice, and while that was a fantastic ship, I just feel more 'at home' on a Vista.

One thing I dislike about the Vista ships - trying to get through the mobs looking at pictures to get to the dining room.

couldn't agree more .. and to make matters worse, no one changed that design after Zuiderdam when it could and should have been altered

just horrible:(

on the other hand, the Vistas do have some plusses IMO that include sports bar, dedicated disco, wonderfully spread out Ocean Bar, great Lido design, Oak Room, fantastic Pinnacle location and of course the ocean view elevators

all in all: Vista has its distinct advantages .. R and S also have theirs, principally smaller size and number of pax

Admittedly we'll partial to HAL overall with only one cruise on another line. We like all the ships designs though probably like the S and R class ships more than the Vista. A lot of that has to do with starting on the Ryndam for our honeymoon so the ship and the S class has a special meaning for us. There are aspects of the Vista that are super like the SS category cabins and Lido Cafe but overall I'd have to say we like the more intimate feeling of the S and R's.

One thing I dislike about the Vista ships - trying to get through the mobs looking at pictures to get to the dining room.

Pretend you're on an R or S ship and use the elevators/stairs just outside the dining room! :D

Our first HAL cruise was on the Veendam. We fell in love with HAL, due to the smaller ship size and only 1,200 passengers. So, it was with a little trepidcation that we took our second HAL cruise on the Oosterdam. We were afraid that the larger, Vista class would be too crowded.

Our previous cruises had been on Carnival's Paradise (during its non-smoking period) and the Glory. The Paradise is only a little smaller than the Oosterdam (70,000 tons, vs. O's 80,000), yet it carries more passengers. It was much more crowded. The Glory was even worse.

My point is that, while we loved the smaller, more intimate feel of the Veendam, we were pleasantly surprised that we did not feel at all claustrophobic on the Oosterdam, as we had on our two CCL cruises. On the O, things got a little hectic in the Lido restaurant around lunch time, but it wasn't too bad.

I think that HAL has found a pretty good balance between carrying more passengers on the Vista class ships than on the R/S ships, and still maintaining adequate space for passengers.

I would sail again on either class of ship. In fact, we're booked on the Zuiderdam in April.

Paul Noble

KK--

Have you ever considered going through the Explorer's Lounge on Lower Promenade Deck - or simply waiting a couple minutes for the lines to thin out?

At least the Vista's have two ways to the dining room - on the R-Class everyone has to go over the kitchens and it's always crowded back there if you choose to be amongst the first into the Dining Room...

I like all three classes plus Prinsendam. What I really miss on the Vista's is the dedicated movie theater. If you've ever watched a movie in the Wajang on the "S" and "R" classes and on Prinsendam, watching one inside the Queen's Lounge on the Vista's just isn't the same. I also don't care too much for the Norhern Lights nightclub on Zuiderdam and Oosterdam (haven't been on Wester and Noordam). It's too small as far as available seating. I prefer the Crow's Nest as the nightclub.

I do also like the glass side elevators on the Vista's, the Lido (restaurant) lay-out with the seperate stations, the size of the triple-deck show lounge and the location of the PG. The Front Office and/or Shorex on the Vista's can get crowded at times with not as much room for pax to go as on the "S" and "R" classes. Really like the Explorations Cafe on the Vista's.

Our first cruise was on Vista class Westerdam. We just loved having a balcony and a mini fridge, the glass elevators on the sides of the ship, the stylish culinary arts center, and the Lido Buffet having separated stations (easy to bob and weave). We also thought the hammered metal doors on the regular elevators were impressive. No one seemed to show up to the dam dollar events; maybe they were all out on their balconies!

Our second cruise was on S class Maasdam. We had an oceanview room, which was actually bigger than our living area in the Westerdam VA balcony cabin and we enjoyed having more than enough closet space and drawers. Our first day was pretty funny, because Maasdam looks so much like Westerdam, only smaller. Instead of going down to the dining room (decks 2 & 3 on Westerdam), we were now going up (decks 7 & 8 on Maasdam). The Lido pool looked just like we remembered Westerdam's Lido pool. We were looking for the aft pool outside the on the rear of the Lido deck, when it's actually one deck below. The movie theatre pulls double duty as the culinary arts center. You could probably get anywhere on the ship in 5 minutes or less. We effortlessly met alot of people, as you see familiar faces more frequently, and the Maasdamers were really into the dam dollar activities.

We thoroughly enjoyed both cruises... I think our next trip will be the S class Veendam.

We thoroughly enjoyed both cruises... I think our next trip will be the S class Veendam.

You'll have a hard time remembering that you're not on the Maasdam again, they're so identical! :) If you'd like to try a 3rd size sometime, book the slightly larger (and IMHO nicer) Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

Now that I have had all this input...I am staying clear of the Vista class...Just too big and no theatre to nap in while my wife watches a Chic Flic.....In fact, I think the Prinsendam is just about right!.....:D

Now that I have had all this input...I am staying clear of the Vista class...Just too big and no theatre to nap in while my wife watches a Chic Flic.....In fact, I think the Prinsendam is just about right!.....:D

Plus it has a dedicated Wajang theater for major league chick flick napping;)

John, are you booked on the Prinsendam in 2006?..rob.

Nope; no Prinsendam in 2007 (I think that's what you meant) fo us. If you've never been on her you should try her! Great ship and crew! Totally different experience than an "S" or "R" ship

We just got back from 7 days on the Veendam, and were on Zuiderdam in April. One major difference for us was the spas. We booked the Thermal Suite/Hydro pool on both and the Vista class spa was far superior. The Hydro pool on the Vista class has an overhead jet that is better than any massage I've had. The Veendam has the heated mosaic chaises (which are wonderful on both ships), but the whirlpool was actually better on the Lido and no overhead jets. All in all, the Vista class spa charge was worth the money and the Veendam was not.

I agree with the other posters on the Lido station set up. Waits on the Veendam were much longer than on Vista class; however, we seldom ate in the Lido. S class suites, Neptune lounge, and other space were as good or better on the Veendam and there is less walking involved (which may be a plus or a minus for you). Decore was better on the Veendam; Zuiderdam colors seem a little much.

R or S class for us.. perhaps because our first 5 HAL cruises were on them.. just feel mor eintimate and more traditional to us.

We've only been on Westerdam of the Vistas.. can take or leave the outside elevators... didn't see the lido as any particular advantage over the R or S.. didn't like the set up of the Ocean bar (where we spend quite a bit of time on R or S).. storage options in our balcony stateroom were not as good as on R or S..

biggest plus for the Vista for us was reasonable pricing for a balcony cabin.. for that reason alone, if the itinerary were right we would probably try it again.. but if I could get a balcony on an R or S for anything close to the same price, it would be no contest...

Archived