Sharing a soda card

Englishmum, soda equals soft drink. Another warning, over here we equate lemonade to sprite or 7up. In the States is is more like a lemon cordial. Hard to get used to ordering sprite instead of lemonade.

Our English friends, met while on vacation in Barbados, learned this the hard way on their first visit to Canada. They brought along a bottle of Pimm's (fortifed wine type beverage for others from NA) and said it was nice to have with lemomade. Even though it was winter time here, we happen to have on hand a tin of what we call lemonade in concentrate form in our freezer, so I made us all up one of the most horrid drink I ever had. Being proper English folks they drank theirs without a comment. I believe I let my sit after the first sip and dump it down the drain later. It wasn't until the next day that they spotted a bottle of 7UP or Sprite in our refrigerator and mentioned what they called lemonade in England was this lemon-lime soda pop. We still laugh about their first drinks in Canada.

Hi guys... I was wondering what the soda card does and does not cover. I don't drink a lot of pop, but I do drink a lot of juice.

Sorry no juice on the Soda card.

It used to be a fountain soda and juice card but RCCL discontinued the juice part some time ago and it´s fountain soda only now.

Proud to admit that in August I will be purchasing 2 soda cards between 4 of us.

I do hope that's ok with everyone?

Oooooooh - now that's a risk! I'm sure you will be hunted down like a rabid dog and thrown overboard. :D

What a great thread though - so entertaining - I have read all of the pages on a dull, rainy afternoon. Thanks all.

All it does is sum up just how greedy RCCL are - it started when we booked - they wanted £1200 for 4 flights from UK to Barcelona :mad: I got the same flights for £400 :D

What does make me laugh on this thread is that I bet the majority of people who call "us" thieves are the ones that smuggle booze in their luggage. Now that is really sad!

Hi Billy - just down the road in Hillsborough. My mum used to live across from the Barrel up until a couple of months ago.

At the minute I'm at work in Tankersley, again 2 mins from you.

re the lemonade thing, I get the impression American lemonade is not REAL lemonade :p and you may well be right about it being syruppy stuff

American lemonade is made from lemons, sugar and water basically. It can be made from scratch where you put the ingredients together or it can be bought in a concentrate form or powdered or granule form where you just add the water. But it is not syrup-y at all. It has the consistency of water and is very refreshing usually served over ice especially in hot weather.

A cordial in America is like Amaretto, creme de menthe, fra angelico and the like and is usually consumed as an after dinner drink.

Hope this clears up the confusion!!!

American lemonade is made from lemons, sugar and water basically. It can be made from scratch where you put the ingredients together or it can be bought in a concentrate form or powdered or granule form where you just add the water. But it is not syrup-y at all. It has the consistency of water and is very refreshing usually served over ice especially in hot weather.

A cordial in America is like Amaretto, creme de menthe, fra angelico and the like and is usually consumed as an after dinner drink.

Hope this clears up the confusion!!!

:D Sounds like non medicinal Lemsip! Although if it's cold n wet I'll drink it!

Coopster1974 LOL:D No you dont read papers lol We are Wednesday fans!! My son Was Billy Elliot in the Westend musical, and won an Olivier award for it!! I thought everybody in Sheff knew about Billy coming from here. So thats why I use it:)

As you can see we go on our cruise in 2 weeks. Its his and his brothers first cruise. Hes just turned 18 his brother is 21. We went on Navigator 5 yrs ago. Cant wait!!

Coopster1974 LOL:D No you dont read papers lol We are Wednesday fans!! My son Was Billy Elliot in the Westend musical, and won an Olivier award for it!! I thought everybody in Sheff knew about Billy coming from here. So thats why I use it:)

As you can see we go on our cruise in 2 weeks. Its his and his brothers first cruise. Hes just turned 18 his brother is 21. We went on Navigator 5 yrs ago. Cant wait!!

That's fantastic.

I LOVED the movie. :)

All it does is sum up just how greedy RCCL are - it started when we booked - they wanted £1200 for 4 flights from UK to Barcelona :mad: I got the same flights for £400 :D

What does make me laugh on this thread is that I bet the majority of people who call "us" thieves are the ones that smuggle booze in their luggage. Now that is really sad!

Actually it sums up how cheap some people can be and how some always try to cheat the system.

###

Please could someone spell out what drinks are included in a soda card?Soda to me is what you use as a mixer for alcoholic drinks or some people drink soda water on its own.Obviously in the States the meaning of the word soda is very different from the UK.I am about to cruise with my grandchildren for the first time and was wondering if I should purchase a soda card for them.They are 6 and 8 and drink things like lemonade,orangeade,coca cola,orange juice.When you are in the dining room are any of these type of drinks included with the meal or do you purchase them seperately?In between meal times is there anywhere for children to get included drinks or is this when a soda card is required?I am getting the impression from this thread that a soda card is good for purchasing coca cola only.Am I right?

In the use soda means soft carbonated drinks, including coca-cola, orangeade etc and what we call lemonade here in the UK(to US readers read sprite etc).

Just to make sure you know, lemonade in the US is not a fizzy drink, it is a still drink, more similar to still lemonade bought in cartons over here, or a nice lemon squash. It is very nice :)

From what I gather still lemonade, milk and iced tea are all free with meals, sodas (coca cola, organgeade and other fizzy drinks) need to be paid for even with meals (however, there are some that report not having to pay for them).

The free drinks are available most of the day in thwe windjammer buffet.

In the use soda means soft carbonated drinks, including coca-cola, orangeade etc and what we call lemonade here in the UK(to US readers read sprite etc).

Just to make sure you know, lemonade in the US is not a fizzy drink, it is a still drink, more similar to still lemonade bought in cartons over here, or a nice lemon squash. It is very nice :)

From what I gather still lemonade, milk and iced tea are all free with meals, sodas (coca cola, organgeade and other fizzy drinks) need to be paid for even with meals (however, there are some that report not having to pay for them).

The free drinks are available most of the day in thwe windjammer buffet.

No 'orangeade'/orange soda on board Explorer or Voyager (not sure bout the other ships). The only carbonated beverages are Coke/Diet Coke and Sprite. If you purchase a soda-card you do not pay for soda/carbonated drinks anywhere on the ship including the DR.

btw: to the proud poster who announced they're going to be buying 2 cards for 4 people next week, how exactly do you go about the sharing process, especially at dinner if you all want to drink soda? :confused: :rolleyes: Im not being facetious, more like curious...

That makes as much sense as saying that people who steal, by sharing a soda card which is sold for the use of one person, probably stiff their waiters and cabin steward.

That makes as much sense as saying that people who steal, by sharing a soda card which is sold for the use of one person, probably stiff their waiters and cabin steward.

That's right. We RCI people tend to "specialize" in one particular area. The days of the old "gereralists" are gone.:D

sorry if this has been posted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,didnt want to sift through everyone,

just off the LOS and the price $4 per day for kids and $6 per day for adults. I bought one for each kid, was $32 each for the week including the gratuity. Worth it just for the convenience of just having to show the card. Im sure they drank their share. At dinner they each had at least two, because th assistant waiter was there with another right after they took the last sip of the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well worth it, and the souvenir glass they re-use, IMHO

btw: to the proud poster who announced they're going to be buying 2 cards for 4 people next week, how exactly do you go about the sharing process, especially at dinner if you all want to drink soda? :confused: :rolleyes: Im not being facetious, more like curious...

Chances are me & the 18 year old boy will be drinking a nice pint of lager!

:D I loved the guy that said I'd probably be stiffing the waiter and attendant! We went with Ocean Village last year and even though tips are included in the price I for one reward good service and was rushing round the ship on the last night tipping just about everyone that I felt deserved it so na na nana na :p

Round the pool I generally drink tea or coffee, however if I feel like a coke and there is the opportunity to have one for free well why not. As mentioned before the people who smuggle booze onboard are taking more money away from RCCL than me yet I'm lambasted and they seem to be applauded for their ingenuity? Make sense? I think not.

Have a nice day :D

Effective today all major hotels in the U.S. have agreed to the following:

- an automatic 15% gratuity (additional gratuity is much appreciated) for all things consumed within the hotels will be automatically added to your bill to show your satisfation with the service...whether you liked it or not. This is non-negotiable.

- gratuities are expected for your bellboy, bartender, desk clerk, maids, servers and doorman. We recommend: $5 for your bellboy, $2/drink for the bartender, $2/day for the desk clerk, $3/day maid service, $1 per door opening

-absolutley no alcoholic beverages will be allowed to brought into the hotels. You and your luggage will be searched as you enter. Violators will have their beverages confiscated and returned to you when you leave the hotel. Those wishing to have an alcoholic drink are encouraged to vist the hotel bar where a nominal $8 fee (gratuity automatically included for your convenience) will be charged.

- entrance into the casual restaurant and formal dining lounge of the hotel will be subject to a $4 and $20 cover charge respectively

-you may buy bottles of alcohol in the hotel but you can not have them until you are done your stay in the hotel

- you may buy a soda card while staying at the hotel. For a family of 4 it will only cost $192...oh lets just say $200, it sounds better (includes the 15% tax aforementioned). Note:sharing your $50 card is prohibited and you will be chastised by fellow hotel patrons if caught doing so. For your convenience your drink cup will be completely filled with ice first...to keep it cold of course.

- free juices will be available in the dining area. These consist of sugarless ice tea (not diet...just no sugar), orange juice (just kidding, its powdered orange Tang and just available in the morning), powdered punch and powdered lemonade.

These changes are necessary in order to keep the hotel prices down to afforadable costs. This pricing structure has been adopted by a number of cruise ships and found to be quite favorable by the majority.

;)

Archived