CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I've sailed in inside,outside and balconies.

I love to have a balcony on each cruise, but if I can get that cruise with an inside hundreds of dollars cheaper, I'm going for the inside!!

As for the inside cabins, I have no problem with them. Like Host Kat stated, there are at least two tv channels that shows out on the deck and the stern (?) of the ship. I love sleeping in total darkness and if I don't bring an alarm clock, I can sleep most of the day away. Also, most of the time I'm not in my room except on the longer cruises, I do try to take an afternoon nap!

When I get an outside cabin, it because a sale is going on where an inside rates are the same or if the pricing is under $150 difference.

Now for the balcony!! I have to catch a great sale for this. The one place that I would love a balcony is Alaska, but the 200% that the majors charge is beyond this working joe budget!!

But go for what you want and can afford, it's your cruise!!

Happy sailing!!

I've been considering my first solo, but couldn't justify the expense of a BL so I'd resigned myself to an inside, but just minutes ago I got lucky and found a cabin on the Carnival Victory that is categorized along with the insides but that actually has two portholes; and the solo rate for the room was only $967 all-in for 7 days to New England/Canada -- only about 68% of what the two-person rate would have been! So all-in-all, a pretty great deal considering the sailing is less than two months out.

:)

I've been considering my first solo, but couldn't justify the expense of a BL so I'd resigned myself to an inside, but just minutes ago I got lucky and found a cabin on the Carnival Victory that is categorized along with the insides but that actually has two portholes; and the solo rate for the room was only $967 all-in for 7 days to New England/Canada -- only about 68% of what the two-person rate would have been! So all-in-all, a pretty great deal considering the sailing is less than two months out.

Great deal!! This is what I'm talking about! Yes we solo cruisers are paying more to sail :( , but there are bargains out there if you research and look around!!

Happy sailing!!

Found another deal on NCL. The Norwegian Sun cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco 9/14-9/21 has no single supplement. With taxes, fees, etc., total price for a single BA is just $1286. Airfare will be around $400. I WILL be booking either this or the 9/21 NCL Pacific Coastal...just need to decide which.

Thanks again, Jack, for the tips.

Hey Dyan,

What sailing did you decide to take? I'm thinking about the 6-day, Norwegian Star on September 21, 2008 (Vancouver - Los Angeles). It still has no Single Supplement & I've got a $250 deposit left form our Gem sailing. The sailing you mentioned above looks great too with the Alaska ports. Let me know! :) .

Jack

Hey Dyan,

What sailing did you decide to take? I'm thinking about the 6-day, Norwegian Star on September 21, 2008 (Vancouver - Los Angeles). It still has no Single Supplement & I've got a $250 deposit left form our Gem sailing. The sailing you mentioned above looks great too with the Alaska ports. Let me know! :) .

Jack

I have booked the 9/14 Endicott Arm to San Francisco. I also had a $250 deposit, and with that got a BA for this trip for about $1000 including fees and insurance. Can't wait - and it would be great to see you again if you decide to go! Keep me posted.

Dyan

I have booked the 9/14 Endicott Arm to San Francisco. I also had a $250 deposit, and with that got a BA for this trip for about $1000 including fees and insurance. Can't wait - and it would be great to see you again if you decide to go! Keep me posted.

Dyan

Hey Dyan,

I'm with ya! :) . Got a good deal (less than $800) on an outside up on International Deck. I'm excited, especially since I really didn't expect to be able to make it to Alaska this summer. The added bonus for me is that I'll be ending up at home in San Francisco and won't have to rush off of the ship when we arrive. Happy to be joining you.

Nancy, are you listening???

Would love to have any of you join us! :D .

Jack

:( Darn it guys! That would have been so much fun!

Tina (also from our Dec. NCL Gem cruise) and I just booked a 13-day repo from NYC to New Orleans on The NCL Spirit. "Circle the Caribbean" I got a balcony for $1650 (no single supplement) and Tina booked an inside for under $1000.

Guess what? I'm giving Amtrak a shot. Taking it home from NOLO. Would've taken to NYC, but schedule didn't work.

Nancy

Tina (also from our Dec. NCL Gem cruise) and I just booked a 13-day repo from NYC to New Orleans on The NCL Spirit. "Circle the Caribbean" I got a balcony for $1650 (no single supplement) and Tina booked an inside for under $1000.

I had been looking at Alaska - it looks beautiful, but the airfares were SO HIGH!

Guess what? I'm giving Amtrak a shot. Taking it home from NOLO. Would've taken to NYC, but schedule didn't work.

Nancy

Congratulations!!! :) . Even though we won't be sailing together, I'm glad that you found a good sailing. Sounds great. I'm so glad that single rates hit a bit of a bottom, at least for awhile, and we were able to take advantage of somewhat last minute and off-season values. Seems the waiting game paid off - again. I'm sure you'll have a good experience on Amtrak. Good job!!!

Just looked at your cruise. What an interesting itinerary! Jack - 24 hours in San Fran - you could stop by and pick up your mail LOL :p .

Hey Nancy,

Yeah, actually, we're on the 7-day sailing and I'll be disembarking in San Francisco. Just going to take public transport home. It will be so nice to just have a casual disembarkation, without pushing to make a flight. Nice and casual or should I say 'freestyle'? I'm also a freak about being on deck for the pass throgh The Golden Gate early in the morning. I'm anxious to look at your itinerary too. What ports are you excited about?

Hey everyone, come and join one of our groups!!! :)

Jack - San Francisco

Hey Nancy,

Yeah, actually, we're on the 7-day sailing and I'll be disembarking in San Francisco.... I'm also a freak about being on deck for the pass throgh The Golden Gate early in the morning. I'm anxious to look at your itinerary too. What ports are you excited about?

Hey everyone, come and join one of our groups!!! :)

Jack - San Francisco

Passing thru the Golden Gate - THAT sounds worth the trip alone! (I've never even been to San Fran!)

I really liked Aruba when we were there last September on the AOS and am looking at an excusrion that explores more of the island. Samana, Dominican Republic, is another port I'd like to see. I've never done the Atlantis sub in St. Thomas. ANY "DON'T MISS's" on any of our stops?

and... you know me, I love my sea days.

It's a shame I won't see you and Dyan again this time around!

Found another deal on NCL. The Norwegian Sun cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco 9/14-9/21 has no single supplement. With taxes, fees, etc., total price for a single BA is just $1286. Airfare will be around $400. I WILL be booking either this or the 9/21 NCL Pacific Coastal...just need to decide which.

Thanks again, Jack, for the tips.

I just checked and this is still available for a BA...woohoo! Please tell me how you found such a cheap airfare for 2 one-ways? I'd be traveling out of DFW. I'm seriously considering booking this trip if I can swing the airfare. Thanks!

Diane

Nancy

WOW! That's a great rate for a balcony!!

I tried Amtrack in 2002 when I got off the Alaskan state ferry. I rode the train from Bellingham to Seattle. It was a short trip, but fun!!

Jack - glad to hear you will be joining me...I'll buy the first round of drinks!!! When will you be arriving in Vancouver and, if early, where will you be staying? I will be arriving on 9/13 and staying at the Pan Pacific. Also wanted to mention that there is a quiet but ongoing roll call for this trip on the CC boards.

Nancy - good to see you on the board and glad you also found a great cruise! I hope you have a fabulous trip.

Regarding DFW airfare - wow, it has already gone up in the week or so since I posted. American is the only airline with nonstop service to Vancouver and from San Francisco. It was $450 or so when I looked initially but booked today at $630! Airfare in the $400-$500 range seems to be available still on well-known travel sites if you have the time and patience for connections. I just would rather pay more to have direct flights.

Glad I have found this thread. :D I have taken about half of my 15 cruises solo and enjoy them as much as when I am with friends (an opportunity to make new friends!).

I am a BIG fan of Freestyle cruising on NCL so have been very disappointed that they don't seem to run the solo sail (no single supplement) cruises that they used to. But I see from a few of these posts that apparently my cruise-agent hasn't been working as hard as I believed (she understands to call me about any NCL cruise she sees with no single supplement!). She still "checks-in" with me now and then, but hasn't made me aware of any of these single NCL offerings!

I have a yearning to do the 10-day NCL Jewel out of NYC to New England & Canada this Sept or October, but never see any single specials (and rate for a single seems to be running about $1800 for a cabin :( ).

Hi,

I was looking at the Aug. 7 Transatlantic Crossing for a while now since it had a very low price (750$pp tx and fees included) but I wasn't lucky about finding a roomate to share the cost (single occupancy was double price... as most of the time).

I was getting discouraged Friday morning since the cruise was then less than Sailing in less than 2 weeks. Just for fun, I looked at the 12-night B2B crossing too and put 1 passenger and the total came to 1325$ tax and fees included !!! I couldn’t believe it, it was no more expensive than the per person rate of double-occupancy room for 6-night + flight to come back home. The cruise was on hold on the computer for 15 minutes. I called DBF to see if he’d mind if I was gone 2 weeks instead of one (since we wouldn’t have much vacation together – he’s not into ships much by the way), checked with my boss if my vacation date could be changed and I booked the cruise in the allotted time.

About an hour or two after that, when I got home, I checked and this deal was gone (I wanted to post it on this board but it was too late already). I called Cunard this morning since my stateroom is just under the gym and I wanted to change (I had booked a D5 guarantee cabin, it’s all they had available). They had no room to move me to since they are fully booked for this 12-night B2B crossing for over two months!!! The lady couldn’t believe I had just booked Friday, she said it was probably a last minute cancellation and I got extremely lucky.

I’ve been dreaming about a TA crossing for years now and it’s becoming reality, I will be sailing in 10 days!!!!. I’m so happy (even if I have the less desirable room on the ship).

It’s also the first time that I will have an assigned table (I have only cruised on NCL ships in the past) and I think I will enjoy the experience. I’m 29 years old and I know most passenger will be older than me (probably could be my parents or even grand-parents) but I’m fine with this.

There are also a couple of other solo cruisers in my age range (under 40) and they seem interested in joining me for tea, lunch or a drink sometimes. I’m sure I will have a terrific time.

As you can see, it pays to check often for the cruise price and it IS possible to get sailings at no single supplement (my other solo cruise was also at no supplement).

Hi:) the question is a good one and you will find many, MANY,

MANY different answers.;)

99% of the time I book an inside cabin and have never had

a problem with weather, time, claustrophobia or any other

items.

Some folks will tell you they never sail without a balcony,

others always want a window.

It truely depends on the individual. There is no right or wrong.

How to dress? The Caribbean is almost always warm ...I know

what to wear:D shorts, t's and bathing suits and coverups

for the daytime;)

Going to Alaska? I follow weather reports and know to layer.

For the Med? I have not done it yet.........

Mexican Riveria, its warm most of the year there too.

I am sure others will give you more replies:)

Hi All,

So far I've always managed to wrangle some friend or my son into cruising with me, but if I can find something without single supplement or a reasonable supplement, I'd gladly go solo. Inside cabins are fine by me, I'm only there to sleep and change clothes.

Lois R - I'd love to hear about your Alaska trip when you return. I'll be on the Mercury next May with a friend sailing out of LA to Alaska. I'm really looking forward to that trip.

As for the Med, cruised there Spring '07, April/May. Weather was beautiful and the only time I needed a jacket was Corfu, our only port with rain, and the Straits of Messina. Layering works well as many of the islands were quite warm in the afternoon.

Hi:), I sailed to Alaska in May 2006 so If you have

any questions I will be glad to try and answer them.

I will post upon my return of this year's sailing too:D

For the Holland America fans out there:

Holland America has some good single rates on the Mexican Riviera, Oosterdam, 7-day sailings in October & November, 2008, out of San Diego. In particular, the November 1, 2008, sailing is offering a single fare of $893.55 (all included) for an Outside Guarantee (HH) on the Holland America website. Seems to figure out at less than 150% of the double fare.

Jack

For the Holland America fans out there:

Holland America has some good single rates on the Mexican Riviera, Oosterdam, 7-day sailings in October & November, 2008, out of San Diego. In particular, the November 1, 2008, sailing is offering a single fare of $893.55 (all included) for an Outside Guarantee (HH) on the Holland America website. Seems to figure out at less than 150% of the double fare.

Jack

Thanks for the tip! I sailed on the Oosterdam in a HH outside cabin. Often you can find rates that equal an inside cabin price.

They are cabins with wall to floor windows. You do have a lifeboat blocking 98% of your view. However, if you are in a tender port and they use the lifeboat in your area, a full ocean view during that port time.

Happy sailing!!

Thanks for the tip! I sailed on the Oosterdam in a HH outside cabin. Often you can find rates that equal an inside cabin price.

They are cabins with wall to floor windows. You do have a lifeboat blocking 98% of your view. However, if you are in a tender port and they use the lifeboat in your area, a full ocean view during that port time.

Happy sailing!!

Hey Diva,

You're correct about the inside/ouside pricing in this case! :) . When posted , the price for inside was the same as outside for the November 1, 2008, sailing. I was lucky enough to be assigned a very nice cabin (several categories above HH) when I last used the HH Guarantee in January of this year on the Oosterdam. I've seen pictures of the HH cabin you described and will be happy if that is where I end up on this sailiing. ;) Thanks for the heads-up & Happy Sailing to you too.

Jack

Jack and Airlink,

You're absolutely right about HAL's pricing. Many times when I've booked early, an outside guarantee was the same price or cheaper than an inside cabin.

Roz

Hi

I was hunting around for an Alaska cruise for next year and I came accross some great deals from RSSC. Alaska on the Mariner from the end of August to the last sail in September has a 30% supplement!

I am seriously considering it I tell you !

Archived