Great hotel in Barcelona!

In case you are looking for a good hotel to stay in Barcelona either before or after the cruise-- We stayed in June at Hotel Continental Palacete, which was a terrific experience. It is a small hotel but nicely furnished (Laura Ashley style), and the hotel was immaculate. Our room was very small though (yet quiet) but we noted that there were larger rooms available. The gentleman at the desk speaks perfect English (he is British) as does the rest of the staff. It was so nice because they had a buffet 24/7 consisting of cereals, fruits, coffee, tea, milk, juices, sodas and bottled waters as well as treats. (They added quiches in the morning and some boiled eggs.) It was great to have a ready supply of snacks and drinks. There is also a large elegant "drawing room" with chandeliers and floor to ceiling french doors with balconies which you can open and watch the activity on the street while you sit to eat &/or enjoy your drink/snack. They also have internet at the desk available for 1 euro, This hotel was also so much less expensive than the hotel that the cruise line recommended! The only downside is that even though it is located on the Rambla de Cataluna, it can be tricky to find. Hence, I would recommend taking a cab. If you do take the bus from the airport, the bus will take you to Placa de Catalunya. Stand so that you will be facing the Placa (big square) with the bus stop to your back (or even sit down in the square clear bus stand to get your bearings. As you sit, also at your back but a little further down the block (towards the way the bus would drive away) is the El Corte Ingles (a large department store that also sells food and wine = good to know!) Walk down towards the El Corte Ingles and then cross the Placa square so that you are on the same end of the square as the El Corte Ingles but on the opposite corner of the square. (The Hard Rock Cafe should be clear across the length of the square from you. Walk away from the square as if totally in the opposite direction of the Hard Rock Cafe. You are looking for #30 Rambla de Cataluna. (it was confusing because other streets said la Rambla and few if anyone seemed to speak English or know where they were.) It is only a 2 block walk away from the square. When you see a VW dealership in a showroom, it is on the same side but on the opposite corner also cattycorner to the street. You will go up a stairway to the 2nd floor. I hope this helps! NOTE: The hotel's website is http://www.hotelcontinental.com and their email is: palacete@hotelcontinental.com. Their tel numbe is +34 934457657 and their fax number is +34 934 450 050. Their full address is 30, Fambla de Cataluna - 08007 Barcelona, Spain.

Kelly--Thanks so much for the info. We are staying there at the end of Sept. We were told to tell the taxi driver to go to the VW dealer or the Onix Hotel(across the street?) and they would know where that was. I'm not sure I want to drag 4 suitcases even 2 blocks!!Hope you had a great trip!

Missyal

Hi Kelly...thanks for the great info on this hotel. We are staying there this September. You mentioned the small room that you stayed in...we are also in the small rooms, I think at the back with no view? Would they be the same as you stayed in? I was a bit concerned because somebody mentioned there being an air shaft in the room? We tried to upgrade but all rooms were gone so we decided this would be fine (we are two couples).

Once again thansk for the great info you provided.

Kelly G A, Thank you so much for the information on the Hotel Contintental Palacete. We are staying there in November before our transatlantic cruise on Splendour. The directions I've seen before seemed sooo complicated. I copied your directions and will take them with us to Barcelona. Thanks again. mems

This looks great! I noticed on their web site that you have to go up stairs to the lobby. Does the hotel have an elevator to get to the guest rooms? Also, the last time we took a cruise out of Barcelona was 5 years ago. If you used a cab to get around what kind of rates did you experience?

The hotel does have an elevator to get you up to the reception desk level, but you have to go up a flight of stairs to get to the elevator. If your room number starts with one (1), your room will be on the same level as the reception desk.

Our room was in the back, very small and very quiet. The airshaft is not in the room. You can see it from the small patio outside the room. We never used this area. Much more pleasant to eat or drink coffee in the main parlor in front of the French doors that overlook Las Rambla. Even though our room (#132) was very small, it did have a safe and mini-fridge inside the clothes amoire.

The only time we took a cab was from the hotel to the cruise port. The 15-20 minute ride was about 15 Euros with luggage. Use the hop on/off bus to see the sights or use the metro.

Bev (Kelly G.A.'s traveling partner)

We stayed at this hotel last month in room 137. It is the only room with an enclosed balcony overlooking the Cataluna Rambla. Wonderful,for people watching and relaxing after a full day. Excellent location. We paid 200e per night for 4 people and booked direct.

Phil

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay per night?

Also, did you book directly through their website?

We paid $130 per night. My travelling companion booked it, and I believe that she did book it through their web site. We were there on a major holiday also so perhaps this might have some impact on the pricing as well. I hope you enjoy this hotel as much as we did! Kelly G.A.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived