Celebrity Solstice year round caribbean?

rain_bowbrite

usha,

I'm with Lois & Brooklyngal. We three unsophisticated broads would like some year-round Caribbean options on X.

Now, you're reminding me of an incident that occurred in the "Miss Universe" pagent a couple decades ago. Then host Bob Barker, interviewing "Miss Israel," remarked that it was her first trip out of her country.

Her reply: "That's right, Bob. I have never been a broad before!"

Norm.

They used to have a 10 or 11 night partial Panama-Canal crossing with several Mexican, Central-American and Caribben ports (Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen to name a few). I think it was on the Galaxy, and it may have even been out of Galveston or New Orleans. I wish they'd bring back this itinerary, as I feel it has a bit of everything.

caviargal,

Personally, I do not think we will see the smaller X ships deployed anywhere in the Caribbean on week long cruises as they are not competitive. The more exotic Caribbean itineraries will certainly appeal to more sophisticated cruisers with the time and money to enjoy them.

While the Caribbean offers many beautiful spots, I am personally tired of being in port with a ton of other ships and that is exactly what most ports are like these days. I would prefer to fly to the island of my choice and stay at a resort that does not allow cruise ship passengers to flood their facilities.

Solstice is my bet for year round Caribbean sailings but those ships will attract a non-traditional X cruiser who will also consider RCI and Princess, IMO, and I have zero interest in that size ship myself nor the more casual clientele and number of families they are very likely to attract. To me, that means X will not offer any options in the Caribbean year round on ships of a size and style that will appeal to me.

Solstice may also work well in Europe as RCI has done well with Voyager class in that market, appealing to the family market.

Hmmm....

Your thoughts are very interesting, but I really don't foresee that scenario. Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International have labored for years to differentiate their products from each other so that they are not competing head to head for the same passengers. It does not make sense to me that Celebrity would introduce a ship that's intended to capture Royal Caribbean's market.

Norm.

I would love to go to Bermuda...I have never been there. However, prices on Journey are out of my price range! We went to Alaska last summer and I loved it. I would love to go back! However, flights to the west coast are expensive and I cannot afford to go frequently. The Carribean is great because the flights to Florida are inexpensive so I can spend my money on the cruise itself. Homeporting within a couple of hours helps even more with this.

I dont like to think of myself as uneducated or not sophisticated...I actually prefer to think of myself as a female Peter Pan - "I wont grow up".

But that being said...I work in the school system, as do many of the people I travel with, therefore I am limited when I can cruise. We try to go during winter break, but prices this year (and looking like next year as well) are beyond our price range for the number of people we have.

Spring Break is always iffy as we celebrate Passover. IMO, and I may be wrong, I just cannot see observing Passover to the degree that I am comfortable with on a cruise ship.

So there went winter break and spring break...and all that is left is summer break. Which is when I am most open to cruise. I enjoy hot and humid - sorry, but I am an east coast girl who is used to it. Give me a lounge chair, a fru fru drink, sun, and a good book, and I am happy. I will take my chances on the hurricanes. My brother (a University of Miami grad) said they arent so bad.

I would love to go to Europe...but I cannot afford the airfare to get there. I wish I could afford more, I really do. It would make life a lot easier, but as a schools system employee who works 2 part time jobs in addition to her full time job in the hopes of being able to one day purchase a condo in a very expensive DC market...I need a less expensive vacation and the Carribean offers me that.

Hi, I just want to compliment you on your post:)

Very well thought out and I believe there are other

folks who probably feel the same way.

And observing Pesach to the fullest extent would probably

be quite difficult too.

(I don't practice anymore) but I do know what you

are referring to....anyway, just wanted you

to know I thought your reply quite interesting:)

Thanks! I just wish I had all the money in the world to do what I wanted...now do I think that would stop me from working all my jobs? Nope! I love em!

Oh, that is where we would differ;) ...all the money in the world?

WORK would not be in my day..not for a good long while

anyway:)

I think we won't be able to determine for sure until we know a bit more about the design of the ship (btw, anyone know of any new pictures or designs out there of her?). If there is no covered pool areas, it will likely be staying in the caribbean year-round. Without the covered pools, it makes it more "uncomfortable" for guests to swim and relax in colder regions, such as Europe and Alaska.

caviargal,

Hmmm....

Your thoughts are very interesting, but I really don't foresee that scenario. Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International have labored for years to differentiate their products from each other so that they are not competing head to head for the same passengers. It does not make sense to me that Celebrity would introduce a ship that's intended to capture Royal Caribbean's market.

Norm.

Norm, I think that was true in the past but my recent cruise with X was much more casual and had many more families than the norm.

With the size and capacity of Solsctice class, IMO it will be impossible to maintain the food and service standards X used to be known for and differentiated by; I feel this ship is being built to compete in the same market as RCI and Princess. Time will tell but my last two cruises on X were not in the same league as my first 4, including demographic.

It is certainly far too large for my taste and, based on postings on the X board, the traditional X cruiser is none too thrilled about this change in their style.

I think we won't be able to determine for sure until we know a bit more about the design of the ship (btw, anyone know of any new pictures or designs out there of her?). If there is no covered pool areas, it will likely be staying in the caribbean year-round. Without the covered pools, it makes it more "uncomfortable" for guests to swim and relax in colder regions, such as Europe and Alaska.

I would be shocked if they didn't have a covered pool area. Even if they intend to remain in the Caribbean for the first season(s), they would want to build in the flexibility to change itineraries as demands change over the years.

Andy,

You make several good points, but your references to Celebrity "abandoning" the Caribbean strike me as rather exaggerated. The line actually has added more Caribbean sailings in the winter and spring, when the Caribbean clearly is a destination of choice, especially for potential passengers who come from the northeast, the northern plains, and Florida. I think that most families that want to go to the Caribbean are quite happy to go during a school break in February, March, or April rather than during the summer vacation period.

Of course, this may recoommend in favor of restructuring the ship's schedules to operate predominantly seven-night cruises during this period rather than the alternating ten-night and eleven-night itineriaries currently planned for MV Galaxy and assigning longer itinerareis to more ships in January and the first half of February....

Norm.

Hi Norm !

This is turning out to be a very interesting thread. Sure, we can speculate all we want, but at the end of the day, the Celebrity decision makers will probably not listen to much of what we say here. I wish Celebrity listened to us more, as some very good ideas have been posted on the Cruise Critic boards.

Many large companies often ask their best customers for feedback. Celebrity has tried this on several occasions, but the efforts always seem to be half hearted at best. Celebrity should strongly consider asking the opinions of their best, and most loyal customers. While this is probably wishful thinking.... I feel it is an excellent idea, and it should be pursued by Celebrity.

About your comment that mentioned I said that Celebrity is "abandoning" the Caribbean... that is not what I was trying to say. However, they are reducing the number of sailings each season. Look no further than late 2007 / early 2008. Celebrity's ships are coming back to the Caribbean later than ever, and leaving earlier as well. Aside from Summit being added to the Caribbean schedule (Summit will have a brief Caribbean season in 2008), Celebrity will probably have less Caribbean sailings than they have had in several years.

You mentioned that most families will be happy to sail in the Caribbbean in February, March and April. Yes, that may be true for some, but not for all. For those families who must sail in the Caribbean in the Summer, they will be forced to look at other Cruise lines. This brings me back to what I said about Celebrity should never want a loyal customer to book with the competition. That is not a wise game to play. All it would take, is for ONE ship to be in the Caribbean year round. If Celebrity were more creative, and planned everything out as well as they could, I am sure that ONE ship could become available to sail the Caribbean in the Summer season. I bet they would do quite well too !

As for Century being redeployed to Europe a couple of Summers ago. While strong Europe demand was part of the reason, there were other factors why Century was redeployed to Europe. I was on Century the last Summer she sailed the Caribbean. The ship was full, and the prices were very high. I do not feel Century (or any other X ship) would be a loser in the Summer. What it boils down to, is that Celebrity does not have enough ships to do everything they would like to do.

One thing we both agree on, is that Celebrity should look into staggering their itineraries. What I mean by that, is not having a ship doing 1 or 2 itineraries all season. For example, instead of Galaxy doing 10 & 11 night itineraries from San Juan next Winter, why not have Galaxy do some 10 night, 7 night, and 4 night sailings ? This would give more passengers options to sail on their favorite ships. It would also free up Summit to do other itineraries, as Galaxy could be doing 7 night sailings from San Juan. Another example of this is with Century. Many passengers like the 4 & 5 night schedule. There are many other passengers (including myself) who do not like the short itineraries. Why not mix in a few 9 night sailings, so that Century can please more passengers ?

If Celebrity were more creative with this type of planning, they would probably free up 1 or 2 ships to do other itineraries, which would make more of their passengers happy. This would be a Win-Win solution for everyone. I have repeatedly asked Celebrity to look into this type of planning for a very long time now. Hopefully, one of these days Celebrity will get the message, and make it happen.

@Norm...family obligations do not permit us to sail during Thanksgiving week and/or Christmas week which are the only breaks in my son's school schedule. And this is only a 5 day break. We are looking to bump up from 7 day cruises to 9 or 11 day cruises. And sailing in the winter months does not address our desire to sail from a northeastern port (such as Cape Liberty). I do regret not booking Connie on a New England cruise before my son entered grade school and taking advantage of a longer X cruise from the northeast. Unfortunately, X only sails to NE/Canada during the fall foliage time of year when school is in session.

As Andy pointed out...eventually Europe and Alaska will become saturated with ships and the prices won't hold and then what for X? Will they then want to return to the Caribbean? They will have to compete with the already established lines working the Caribbean without interruption. Would I return to X? I don't know. Depends on how well I'm treated by Princess. Seems that X does not mind taking that chance.

I just find it hard to believe that Celebrity cannot fill a C-class ship for a few summer months to the Caribbean. That says something about their marketing to me. Or perhaps the parent company just feels that if you want the Caribbean you can sail on a RCI ship. As rock walls and skating rinks do not interest me, I won't be doing that.

Hi,

as i have sailed the carribbean on many cruises, with X and with RCI, I would take another cruise there- but I am also tired to do that in " season " time and have 5 or more Mega- cruisers in the same port. I had that in St. Thomas once- uahhhh! It was like Charlotte Amalie was a big shopping mall. Very easy though- there is no need to walk- you will be moved with the crowd. In some ports I would rather stay on board and enjoy the nearly empthy ship, than go ashore ( Cozumel, Jamaika) So I hope the new Solstice ship will sail in Europe too.

I hope X can hold standards they have on their C or M- Class ships. We will see. As the ship will be build here in germany ( not very fare from where I live) I am quite sure that they will intruduce her here in Europe.

Happy Sailings to all or you!

Michael

I'm with Lois & Brooklyngal. We three unsophisticated broads would like some year-round Caribbean options on X.

Here here....:D

While Alaska, the Mediterranean, Canada and New England are nice, will do those "some day", right now I prefer the sun and heat of the Caribbean!!

I also agree with Andy that Celebrity is just giving the Caribbean business away! Maybe they are afraid that they will lose their European market to other lines which are beefing up their presence in the Europe this upcoming summer? I don't think they need to be concerned. I think the clients who will sail Carnival, Royal, Disney, etc. in the Caribbean are the same clients who will sail them in Europe. I think that even with all the competition Celebrity will have no problem holding it's own there.

Jodie

I don't care where the ships sail. I'm just glad they are launching some new ships which will mean greater choices. My only hope is that where ever they sail that it's for more than 7 days and that it is not out of San Juan.

Speaking of the Solstice class... has anyone found/see pictures yet? This seems to be the best kept secret in the cruise industry.

I don't care where the ships sail. I'm just glad they are launching some new ships which will mean greater choices. My only hope is that where ever they sail that it's for more than 7 days and that it is not out of San Juan.

Speaking of the Solstice class... has anyone found/see pictures yet? This seems to be the best kept secret in the cruise industry.

As far as I know, the only picture of solstice at this point is the silhouette-cross section of the ship on display at the steel-cutting ceremony. A bit of a distinct design, and it leads questions to the general design of the ship. It must have two seperate power "rooms" just as the Vista-Class HAL ships, as you can see the two funnels on the solstice ship look almost IDENTICAL to the shape of the "dustbin" funnels on the Vista ships. Too bad, as I rather liked the traditional Celebrity funnels.

Unless someone can prove me wrong (IM HOPING! ;) ) any new pics?

Hi Rick !

I am very confident that Solstice wont be sailing out of San Juan anytime soon. Assuming Solstice does Caribbean for at least the Winter season, I think its a good bet she will be doing 7 night sailings. I agree with you, that I would love to see her doing longer Caribbean (like Constellation does currently), but I feel that Celebrity will want to get both repeat and new customers on her, and that likely means 7 night sailings. I think there is a better chance that Equinox or the 3rd Solstice class ship could do some longer Caribbean sailings for part of the year.

Hopefully, we will hear more about Solstice itineraries in April or May. Stay Tuned.

Host Andy,

I am very confident that Solstice wont be sailing out of San Juan anytime soon. Assuming Solstice does Caribbean for at least the Winter season, I think its a good bet she will be doing 7 night sailings. I agree with you, that I would love to see her doing longer Caribbean (like Constellation does currently), but I feel that Celebrity will want to get both repeat and new customers on her, and that likely means 7 night sailings. I think there is a better chance that Equinox or the 3rd Solstice class ship could do some longer Caribbean sailings for part of the year.

Hopefully, we will hear more about Solstice itineraries in April or May. Stay Tuned.

That's an interesting thought. The only complication is that the ships of the Solstice class are "post-Panamax" vessels -- that is, too big to transit the Panama Canal. I expect that Celebrity will want to deploy at least one of these ships to Alaska in the summer, and it won't be realistic to move that ship back to the Caribbean for the winter. It's more likely that this ship will go to Australia/New Zealand, to South America, to the Mexican Riviera, or possibly to a full season of sailings to Hawai'i round trip from either Los Angeles or San Diego. That will leave two ships of the Solstice class to go to Europe in the summer and to the Caribbean in the winter. These two ships most assuredly will take over the itineraries now assigned to GTS Millennium and GTS Constellation, which will in turn take over the itineraries now assigned to MV Century and MV Galaxy. The unknown, right now, is where MV Century and MV Galaxy will go.

Norm.

Host Andy,

That's an interesting thought. The only complication is that the ships of the Solstice class are "post-Panamax" vessels -- that is, too big to transit the Panama Canal. I expect that Celebrity will want to deploy at least one of these ships to Alaska in the summer, and it won't be realistic to move that ship back to the Caribbean for the winter. It's more likely that this ship will go to Australia/New Zealand, to South America, to the Mexican Riviera, or possibly to a full season of sailings to Hawai'i round trip from either Los Angeles or San Diego. That will leave two ships of the Solstice class to go to Europe in the summer and to the Caribbean in the winter. These two ships most assuredly will take over the itineraries now assigned to GTS Millennium and GTS Constellation, which will in turn take over the itineraries now assigned to MV Century and MV Galaxy. The unknown, right now, is where MV Century and MV Galaxy will go.

Norm.

Hi Norm !

I am very much aware that the Solstice Class are Post Panamax ships, which cannot go through the Panama Canal. That is one of the reasons why I feel a Solstice Class ship may not be headed to Alaska.... not initially at least. One thing Celebrity COULD do, is send Solstice around the Horn, and have her do a few South America sailings when making the switch, but I feel that is a longshot. I think it would be easier to have Solstice do the Winter season in the Caribbean, and the Summer season in Europe.

As for Hawaii, I am very puzzled as to what Celebrity's future plans are. Unless I am mistaken, I do not think they have any ship sailing Hawaii in 2008. I am very curious as to why Summit is not back there in 2008. Was it because Hawaii bookings werent all that great ? I would be surprised if that was the case. Might it be because NCL has many more ships sailing in Hawaii, and it was hard for Celebrity to arrange satisfactory itineraries ? Perhaps they did not want to compete ? It could be any of these reasons. I feel Celebrity belongs there, but the question is, does Hawaii work for them financially and/or logistically ?

One thing is likely..... it will be very interesting to see how all of this plays out. With the addition of Solstice in 2008, it will give Celebrity more options. I expect to see at least a few ships to be redeployed, along with some different itineraries/ports for late 2008/early 2009. If it doesnt happen, I will be very disappointed. Let's hope I am right about this.

Archived