Has Anyone Used Isalnd Wings?

Terre

We are considering Island Wings for our May 28 trip to Ketchikan. Can anyone tell me who's used them, what was your experience, would you use them again? Also, has anyone taken the more expensive tour with Island Wings that takes you farther into the glaciers? How did you like that; was it worth the extra money?

We're thinking this will probably be a once in a lifetime cruise and don't mind paying the extra fee if the tour is really worth it.

Thanks for any comments/recommendations.

We used Island Wings in Sept. 2005. We loved it! Small plane, so everybody got a window seat. Lots of photos taken! We did not have any rough travel, although it was hazy/foggy. (Duh! MISTY Fjords!) Even saw a whale spout! Michelle was great as were here employees! Did not go to the glaciers, can't help you there.:)

We flew with Michelle at the end of Aug this year and Misty Fjords was the highlight of our trip. Great plane and scenery. Michelle and her team were professional and we had a tight return to the ship - made it back w/out any problems. You'll love landing at a glacier lake and getting out to stretch your legs. Believe Island Wings is the only operator that has a permit that allows you to get out on land. Phenomenal exeperience. All ages in our groups (9 - 79) kept talking about doing this trip again. It was our 2nd time in Alaska and I know that we plan on using her services again to go bear watching the next time we are out there. Can't say enough. Enjoy planning your trip.

Believe Island Wings is the only operator that has a permit that allows you to get out on land. Phenomenal exeperience. .

No not true, some other venders also have permits to land including Southeast Aviation- which I have also flown with several times and highly recommend.

We flew with Michelle at the end of Aug...we had a tight return to the ship - made it back w/out any problems.

Gaile, how "tight" was your return to the ship? That's something else we're concerned about because the flight is 11:30-2:00 and we have to be on board the ship at 2:30.

Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations. I love these boards and the people on them!

Terre, our excursion was 10am - Noon and our last tender was scheduled at 12:30pm. This was a very short port day for our ship. The van dropped us back in 5 minutes and the lines for the tenders were very long. We were back on the ship and saw extra tenders in the water for some time. Believe the ship left almost an hour late. This was the closest we have ever cut it w/a private excursion. I had emailed Island Wings about our timing issue and they had said it would be no trouble. Was a bit nervous and would advise that you check directly w/your tour operator for timing issues. This time it worked for us, but thanks to the incredibly long lines of folks who were tendering after us. Not a sure thing.

Thank, Gaile...I just got off the phone with Michelle and we booked the glacier tour. She assured me we would be back in time to be on the ship by 2:30. She did mention that depending on the weather we may not be able to go into the glaciers and she would make that decision once in the air. If that turns out to be the case, then there would be no problem with time.

She didn't have the dock schedules, but didn't indicate that tendering is involved....didn't realize that we would be tenering. Thanks for this info!

Archived