Seattle Hotel Recommendations?

HJK001

I agree with the others on the Marriott at Lake Union. I stayed there twice before moving here permanently, and my boyfriend lived there during a job assignment. The view of the lake is prettier than the Space Needle, and it's got a great free breakfast. The only downside is that it's too far from downtown to walk to the stores or Pike Place Market.

It's a lovely older "classic," but my DH and I had a terrible service experience there.

Though we're only a 90 minute drive from Seattle, some friends were visiting from the east coast, so we decided to spend the weekend with them, staying at the Fairmont. When we checked in, we were given a key to a room that, when we opened the door, was obviously occupied - unmade bed, clothes strewn around, toiletries in the bathroom.

We returned to the Front Desk, where the staff member was very annoyed with us for returning so quickly, causing her trouble by requesting an unoccupied room! Begrudgingly, she gave us a key to another room.

Guess what - this room was also filled with someone else's luggage! Once again we returned to the desk. Now the clerk is really steamed at us, but we are aghast at twice being assigned someone else's room. No apologies, no explanation, just another key to a different room.

Hesitantly, we opened the door to the third room - no one else there, thank goodness. However, there was a gift basket on the table - fruit, candy, cheese, crackers - with a card addressed to someone who was not us. We just double-locked the door and said nothing to the Front Desk. Figured the gift basket was the least we deserved for such shabby treatment.

I heartily agree with other recommendations here - Alexis, Residence Inn, Westin, Marriott at the Waterfront, the Edgewater, are all good choices before your cruise.

Sounds like our experience in San Juan! :D

We reserved an ocean front room...well in advance. When we arrived and gave our name, the front desk clerk said "but you have already checked in!" We replied that we had not, so he gave us a key, took our CC info and off we went.

It was a gorgeous day and we were excited about opening our room to the ocean beyond and perhaps spending a little time on the balcony. So much for that! The key didn't work and we struggled with it for a few seconds, when all of the sudden, the door flew open! There stood a scantly dressed man with his wife/girlfriend in the bed! :o

Back down to the desk where we also received the same "what are you doing back here" treatment. Come to find out (or at least this is what we think happened), OUR room was given to someone with a last name similar to ours and the only other room available in the hotel was not ocean front...only ocean view! We had trouble with that key, so DH had to go down and get another key. He received the same treatment from front desk. The second key didn't work, so DH found a staff member to let us in the room. Although the room was VERY nice, it was in a wing that was undergoing construction. We had banging and hammering above and next to us, all day and into the late evening. :mad: We were not happy campers, but I am sure the "honeymooners" were equally unhappy with their intrusion.:eek:

• 1 month later...
We're leaving on HAL in July and I've been checking the Seattle hotels, but before I book anything, I'd love some recommendations. I'd prefer to stay downtown so I can see the Space Needle (so easily entertained!!!) and don't want to sell my first-born to pay for a room. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Heidi

:confused:

Heidi, we stayed at the Westin in Sep and loved it!!!!! It was worth the extra cost. We were right down town. We walked to Pike Place Market, the Seattle Center/Space Needle. Shopping is right there too. It was great and would highly recommend them. It was just minutes from the pier too which was an added plus. A short ride from the airport. The monorail is a short distance from the hotel. When we stayed there it was not in operation because of repairs.

So what about us budget minded folks who want to stay semi-close to the pier about don't want to spend alot of money?....that's why I say semi-close...because I know close equates to alot of money...any suggestions in the $100=$125 range that is decent?? We'll only be there maybe 10 hours by time we fly in.... anybody know of any hotels that will get you to their hotel for free from the airport??

We'll be arriving in Seattle on May 13 off the Noordam. We would like to rent a car and spend several days sightseeing. Can you rent a car at the cruise terminal? Any suggestions for best company (have used Enterprise, National and Avis in the past.) We're not sure what location to zero in on for a hotel either. We will be flying home on Wednesday-should we stay close to airport or are there any hotels (with free parking I hope) that would be a better choice. Thanks for any help at all.

St. Louis Sal

Here's a link to the [URL="http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/"]Port of Seattle's Cruise page[/URL]; hopefully it will answer some of the questions above. Please note that May-September, especially July/August, is [B]prime[/B] tourist season here in the Puget Sound region, both for land and cruise travelers. It won't be easy to find bargains unless you shop around and book early! Here's another link, [URL="http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/0032010027.html"]Frommer's guide [/URL]to hotels in Seattle, another good resource. (I'm only a local, living in the suburbs, so there's probably many a cruiser who has better info regarding downtown hotels than I do;))

Archived