Seattle Hotel Recommendations?

HJK001

We're leaving on HAL in July and I've been checking the Seattle hotels, but before I book anything, I'd love some recommendations. I'd prefer to stay downtown so I can see the Space Needle (so easily entertained!!!) and don't want to sell my first-born to pay for a room. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Heidi

:confused:

There is a Best Western hotel (the Executive Inn) just a couple of blocks from the Space Needle and the Monorail - it's nice, clean, safe, a little more upscale than a lot of the motels in the area, and much cheaper than staying downtown. There's also a Ramada Inn on Fifth Avenue about half way between the Space Needle and downtown - would also be a safe bet.

If I think of others I will post them here.

I would recommend checking out Hotwire or Priceline. I've gotten great rates at the downtown Marriott and the Renaissance through those sites. I also like the Warwick which is well priced and near the Pike Street Market. Seattle is great because the busses in the zoned downtown area are free so you can hop on and off at will. The space needle is fun to see but it is not in the middle of things and it is outside the free bus zone. In the downtown area there are steep hills so check carefully to see how close you will be to public transport if you have any problem climbing.

Lots of good places. The Westin is across the street from the downtown end of the monorail, so a quick hop on that and you're at the Space Needle (only two places the monorail goes, when it's running). The Warwick is also very fun, in downtown and near shopping and restaurants, with some killer views. The Inn at the Market is right in Pike Place Market, and on a downtown bus route. And you can also try the Edgewater, which is built on pilings out over Puget Sound. It's near one of the cruise terminals, but unless HAL moves, you'll have to cab over to the further terminal ... still, not a bad ride, and not too pricey from the Edgewater.

We stayed in Seattle for 3 nights before our cruise sailing date so we could get the kids (and us) adjusted to the time change from Tulsa. This worked out really good for us - we enjoyed Seattle so much (Space Needle & Pike's Market) - our hotel was wonderful. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn Lake Union - there were 7 of us and we had a beautiful 2 bedroom suite so we could all stay together. The hotel was across from a beautiful bay and just minutes from Pier 30. They offer a huge, free buffet breakfast - waffles, eggs, bacon, bagels, juice, milk, fruit - you get the picture - every morning. Nice indoor pool and right across from the bay. Free shuttle to most of the tourist places. We could not have been more pleased as we were looking for nice but not outrageous.

Have a wonderful vacation!

:)

We stayed downtown at the Seattle Sheraton, just a few blocks from Pike's Market and convenient to shopping and restaurants. The hotel was very nice and HAL had a desk in the lobby. There was also a Gray Line desk where we purchased tickets for a shuttle bus to Pier 30 to join our HAL ship, the Oosterdam. We would stay there again.

I like the Hotel Andra...great restaurant below and in a prime location for walking the City. The hotel has some nice large rooms for several people. DH and I took Mom and had a bedroom and very large living room with a sofa bed. We were quite comfortable. Neat boutique-ish hotel.

We agree that Hotel Andra is a wonderful choice. It is in a great location and the attached Lola restaurant is fabulous. The hotel is a quick walk to the shopping areas and to Pike Place Market. It is very central. The room and the bed were great.

We also like the Marriott Hotel but it is normally priced pretty high.

Just don't count on a view of the Space Needle, not a lot of hotels/motels have one. The best views are from the surrounding hills - in the residential areas. I did have a view of it from the last place I stayed in Seattle, but I was at the Inn at Providence (a hospital - while Dad had heart surgery there. Very nice to have an Inn for out of town family to have a place to stay - but the Inn rooms will make your cabin seem VERY spacious ;) ). Even if you do see the Space Needle, you will probably also see the Sound/Elliot Bay and will be 'easily entertained' watching the ferries and other boats/ships.

I do find it interesting to tell from the postings who has lived in Washington and who has only visited. The locals (correctly) refer to the Pike Place Market, not the Pike's Place... [As you can tell, I'm also 'easily entertained' ;) ]

We stayed in Seattle for 3 nights before our cruise sailing date so we could get the kids (and us) adjusted to the time change from Tulsa. This worked out really good for us - we enjoyed Seattle so much (Space Needle & Pike's Market) - our hotel was wonderful. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn Lake Union - there were 7 of us and we had a beautiful 2 bedroom suite so we could all stay together. The hotel was across from a beautiful bay and just minutes from Pier 30. They offer a huge, free buffet breakfast - waffles, eggs, bacon, bagels, juice, milk, fruit - you get the picture - every morning. Nice indoor pool and right across from the bay. Free shuttle to most of the tourist places. We could not have been more pleased as we were looking for nice but not outrageous.

:)

Wow, great review of the Residence Inn - you are making ME want to stay there and I'm local! :D

I do find it interesting to tell from the postings who has lived in Washington and who has only visited. The locals (correctly) refer to the Pike Place Market, not the Pike's Place... [As you can tell, I'm also 'easily entertained' ;) ]

Very keen observation! I hadn't noticed, but you are right - it is called Pike Place Market because of the street on which it sits. Of course, most of us locals just refer to it as "the market".

Since we are talking about hotels in Seattle, how is the Fairmont? We are leaving on the Noordam out of Seattle Sunday June 17th and are flying into SeaTac on Saturday the 16th. We have a free night's stay at the Fairmont thru HAL with a promotion they were offering a few months ago and we were lucky to get signed up for it.

The Fairmont Olympic is THE place to stay in Seattle; an institution for sure. Expensive though. And typically small rooms given the age of the building. But the service is excellent! The staff is far more welcoming than those impersonal business hotels that are in the same neighborhood. You can't go wrong with this place or the Westin for that matter.

Lisa-make it a point to have brunch in the Olympic's Georgian Room if you don't already have plans. Superb!!

The Fairmont Olympic is THE place to stay in Seattle; an institution for sure. Expensive though. And typically small rooms given the age of the building. But the service is excellent! The staff is far more welcoming than those impersonal business hotels that are in the same neighborhood. You can't go wrong with this place or the Westin for that matter.

Lisa-make it a point to have brunch in the Olympic's Georgian Room if you don't already have plans. Superb!!

Do you mean for Sunday Brunch? How they start for breakfast in the morning? We like to be one of the first passengers on the ship so I know that we will be over at the pier at about 10:45:) On saturday I believe our flight gets in close to 1 PM

Lisa: We stayed at Fairmont last year before out trip on Oosterdam. We had a large room w/small sofa. Hotel is very nice, probably similiar to Fremont in Vancouver. I think most of the Fairmonts are older, upgraded hotels of a by gone era. They have a towncar that will take you down to Pike's Place Market. Fred used the towncar to go down there and get us a beautiful bouquet of flowers for our suite.

We took a cab to the ship in AM rather than waiting for Holland America bus. Our friends waited for the bus and probably arrived about 1 hr after we did.

Hotel probably costs $300 + p/n so I'm not sure if that is what original OP had in mind.

Carole

Thanks for the info:) We also plan to go down to Pikes Market on Saturday afternoon after we check in. Does the Fairmont have a nice restuarant for evening meal?

I can also guarantee you that we will be taking a taxi to the pier as well;) I know that we will not want to wait beings that we like to be to the pier early.

We didn't eat any meals at the hotel, but I'm sure they have a nice restaurant as this is a full service hotel. I remember there was a large restaurant with a garden setting - I think that is where they served breakfast and lunch. There was a little french sandwich shop at the hotel where we had a snack, but we had dinner down at the market. The restaurant at the market wasn't anything special, but it did have a nice view of the water. After dinner we left the guys drinking a beer and watching baseball while we (ladies) did a quick walk around the market. The market itself closes early (6:00 PM). We did get to see them flinging the fish. That was fun to watch and always draws a big crowd. Like I said before the flower arrangements at the market are beautiful and very reasonable.

On Saturday morning we went across the street to Starbucks for coffee and a roll. I was to excited to have a large breakfast.

I need to start packing today and tomorrow for trip on the Zaandam sailing this Fri (5th). Fortunately, we will be driving to SD port so we can bring whatever we want with us.

Carole

Carole, thanks for all the info. We were just in Seattle this past September when we did a repo cruise on the Veendam. We enjoyed the day in Seattle and a good CC friends who cruised with us in Oct 2005 showed us around her home city. We are definitely looking forward to our return to Seattle.

Have a safe drive to San Diego and Bon Voyage. The Zaandam is a great ship and we loved her crew. I told Bonnie I would capture pictures of a 3 PM wave for those of you sailing this Firday on the Zaandam:)

Archived