Wine, Specialty Drink & Coffee Cards

Cruisin'Nurse

Penny 49 how much wine did you bring on and how. I saw a piece of luggage w/ wheels yesterday that should hold about 10 bottles. How did you set it up to take to the dining room. Thanks

We just carried our with us when we went. We chilled the white in our room and the red we just had them open.

Does anyone know if it is permissable to share a wine card? I was thinking of buying one 20 glass wine card for my husband and I to share. I will probably have a few glasses while on the cruise, he is apt to have a few more. I don't want to get a card for each of us unless it is HALs policy that each person must have their own.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if it is permissable to share a wine card?

You can with a soda card; I can't think of any reason that you couldn't do the same with a wine card.

It's not like the old "unlimited" soda cards. With these cards a specific number of drinks has already been paid for. It shouldn't matter to HAL whose lips the wine passes.

Ruth,

Thank you for the information. I just purchased a wine card. We will be on our first Holland America cruise on the 18th! I am very excited but also a little intimidated. Thanks for taking the time to reply to such a silly question!

Deb

I see someone else is interested in the champagne issue.

I had gotten the impression that champagne was included in the wine card. Not from any official source, just some of the comments.

According to Schplinky's scans of the bar menu, the House pour champagne is 5.25, so the wine car would be saving about 75 cents per glass, before tip.

We are big champagne drinkers, and were considering the card for our upcoming (well, a ways out- Apr 2008) W'dam cruise. If anybody can confirm the Champagne issue, THANKS in advance.

Bruce

I bought the Signature Cocktail Card onboard for $51.75 ($45 + 15%). See the cocktail menu posted on this thread. I usually ordered a Mojito or the fabulous Espresso Martini. The drink of the day costs $5.00 (plus 15%). You can use the Card to get drinks for others as well.

I bought the Signature Cocktail Card onboard for $51.75 ($45 + 15%). See the cocktail menu posted on this thread. I usually ordered a Mojito or the fabulous Espresso Martini. The drink of the day costs $5.00 (plus 15%). You can use the Card to get drinks for others as well.

Was that for 10 drinks? I think that's less than what they're charging to buy them off the web directly.

Although this thread is the most informative, I'm not sure what to do. I'm sailing on 3/31 on the Noordam in SA 70##.

Should I buy a specialty drink card for approximately $65.00 if I am simply going to buy each drink for approximately $6.50 each anyway? :confused:

I looked at the cocktail menu scanned (thanks so much) and I don't see any real savings if I buy the card instead. I usually drink things like mojitos, cosmopolitans and cuba libre.

Can anyone give me examples of the drink of the day and their price?

Did I read correctly that I have to pay for juice at dinner?:eek:

Also, my 14 year old son is a Type I diabetic. Are there any drink options that are free for him throughout the day?

I believe the per glass cost on the wine card was 4.77, WITH TIP.

Simply, wine purchased with a wine card is $3.89 per glass including tip.

I thought the the wine card price of $41.40 included the 15% "gratuity". $3.60 + 15% = $4.14 per glass. :confused:

Did I read correctly that I have to pay for juice at dinner?:eek:

You do not have to pay for juice. Ask for it and it will be served.

As this is not a customary drink at dinner, however, if you plan to have juice every night it would be easier on your steward if you make it a "standing order" by telling him that you do want it every night. If you want a different juice it would be easier if you could let him know the night before.

Also, my 14 year old son is a Type I diabetic. Are there any drink options that are free for him throughout the day?

Water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate are available. If the Lido is serving you can ask for milk. I've never tried asking for juice outside of breakfast hours, but you could try (when they're serving).

I thought the the wine card price of $41.40 included the 15% "gratuity". $3.60 + 15% = $4.14 per glass. :confused:

Simply, the 20 pour card (ie: 20 glasses of vino) costs $77.63 including 15% tip. This works out to $3.89 per glass of the red nectar of the sun gods (or the white or the rose if you wish).

$41.40 is the cost of a 10 glass pour card including +15%. That works out to $4.14 per glass.

I hope this helps. :)

• 1 month later...

This is a super thread. Just discovered it while hunting for some other info.

We're planning a 14 day Canada/New England repositioning cruise for Oct 2008. CruiserBruce, is there a way you can e-mail me? I have a "locals" question for you.

We plan to bring as much of our own wine as our luggage will allow. On our Alaska cruise last year (first with HAL), we stopped by Costco in Juneau and got some great wines.

Since I like a glass of champagne now and then, one of these wine cards should work out very well. Don't need anything fancy, just some bubbly would be nice.

Does anyone have the details (price, #servings) for the coffee card?

Thanks to all of you for this wealth of information!!

One more question - since HAL charges a corkage fee, I assume that means we can bring on our own wine? What about liquor?

One more question - since HAL charges a corkage fee, I assume that means we can bring on our own wine? What about liquor?

HAL allows you to bring as much wine, champagne, soda, and water aboard as you can carry.

They prohibit bringing liquor and beer on board. If you do bring some it may be taken and held to be returned to you the last night.

I apologize if this ? has been asked before.

Are the drinks listed on the Signature Cocktail List the ONLY menu that you can use your Signature Cocktail Card with? From your menu Schplinky, there seems to be many more "drink menus" other than Signature Cocktail List.

NextOne...We just used the coffee card on the Zuiderdam. It is for 10 pruchases. Cost was 29.90 which included tip. Real nice choice of coffee,hot chocolate and iced coffee. You can also use it for Fruit Smooties which were my favorite. Some of the small coffee was only about $2.30 so in order to "get more bang for the buck" you can get the Grande which was about $3.20.

Are the drinks listed on the Signature Cocktail List the ONLY menu that you can use your Signature Cocktail Card with? From your menu Schplinky, there seems to be many more "drink menus" other than Signature Cocktail List.

I'm sorry but I don't know. We didn't get the card.

Just returned from the Noordam So. Caribbean a week ago. Bought the 20 glass wine card, which can be shared as much as you want. Cost came out to 3.89/ glass. Price is 4.25 plus 15% tip if ordered separately, which we did after the card ran out. House wines were fine with us. The only red was a merlot.

Also, our wine steward did not charge us the $15 corkage fee for opening a bottle of champaigne that was a gift from out TA. Pays to be friendly!

On the Maasdam we were able to use the Cocktail Card for any drink including Spanish Coffees and mixed drinks using premium brands. The servers were very good at letting us know if what we were ordering was cheaper than the average cost for the card.

Thanks for posting this again!! I was backspacing looking for the thread with the menu.

I purchased the 10 glass card for my upcoming trip. I'm not loyal to a certain brand or anything, but just enjoy a glass of wine prior to dinner.

This is a super thread. Just discovered it while hunting for some other info.

I would like to add my thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. The information was helpful in my decision to pre-order the card for my upcoming sailing. Thanks a million!:o

Archived