Cruises cancelled due to 9/11?

AZaTaz

A coworker was on a cruise out of New Orleans when it happened. The cruiseline offered them a deal to go stay on the ship for another week because no one could get to the cruise and they took it (something like $200 for 7 nights in a balcony). Unfortunately he forgot to call his daughter who was picking him up that he was staying on the ship, or anybody at work, or any of his customers. We kept getting calls from his panicked customers when he didn't show up for his normal sales calls wondering what had happened to him.

9/11 effectively put Renaissance Cruises out of business because of a slew of cancellations. Based on what I have read, it sounds like they were on thin ice to begin with because of slim profits but 9/11 was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's too bad because I've heard and read lots of positive reviews of Renaissance.

I was supposed to cruise out of New York, about three weeks after 9/11. My TA handed me my Air/Sea info., and I said 'Hang on, these airline tckets are for Boston'. She checked and said, 'Thats right, there are no sailings out of NY'.

Fine except that NCL did NOT contact those who were going by themselves to NY. 'Too much trouble' was the official word, I have never seen so many upset cruisers, as those who were bussed from NY to Boston.

An interesting bit was our entry into the USA from Canada. A red eye to Montreal, where we went through the 'Official US Customs'. They gave me a form to say that we did not have more than $10,000.00, I filled it out, held it in my teeth as we pushed our bags through, and did not break stride as the agent removed it from my mouth, we had our pasports in hand, but they were not looked at. We were never examined again.

Now this is 100% true, so I have one tiny question. 'Why was the USA blaming Canada's security, re 9/11 while they pull a stunt like that?' :confused: john

I filled it out, held it in my teeth as we pushed our bags through, and did not break stride as the agent removed it from my mouth, we had our pasports in hand, but they were not looked at. We were never examined again.

Now this is 100% true, so I have one tiny question. 'Why was the USA blaming Canada's security, re 9/11 while they pull a stunt like that?' :confused: john

In my 2 cruises since 9/11, my passport was not looked at at embarkation or debarkation. I could have had my dad's passport; it wouldn't have mattered. In Oct, a friend had a birth certificate that he went through the trouble to get for his cruise (his TA told him it had to be reissued after 9/11???). Again, they didn't look at it. He told the person at embarkation that he could have just written his name in crayon!

They changed the rules so that you MUST have a passport next year for better security, and they strongly advise you have one now for expediting through customs. They're supposed to be more difficult to forge. What good do they do if they aren't going to look at them? How are we more secure? Is it that much effort to look at my passport?

Chigirlcruzin, you wrote:

"In my 2 cruises since 9/11, my passport was not looked at at embarkation or debarkation. I could have had my dad's passport; it wouldn't have mattered. In Oct, a friend had a birth certificate that he went through the trouble to get for his cruise (his TA told him it had to be reissued after 9/11???). Again, they didn't look at it. He told the person at embarkation that he could have just written his name in crayon!

They changed the rules so that you MUST have a passport next year for better security, and they strongly advise you have one now for expediting through customs. They're supposed to be more difficult to forge. What good do they do if they aren't going to look at them? How are we more secure? Is it that much effort to look at my passport?"

Well we've only been cruising for 2 years now and each time at both embarkation and debarkation either our birth certificates(along with our drivers license) or now passports have been check carefully. In fact for last cruise the passports were looked at carefully and scanned into the lines computer during embarkation.

We did a transatlantic 19 days after 9/11. At first we weren't sure if we were going to be able to do it because international flights from the US were halted. About a week before our cruise, flights opened. Before 9/11, there were two AirFrance flights a day from Chicago. Thank goodness I was checking daily because I noticed that our flight number was gone replaced by the earlier flight number at our time. I called our TA who called Air France to find out we were bumped. She then called Celebrity since we very fortunately booked our air through the cruiseline. Celebrity had not been informed that we were bumped. They did manage to get us on that flight. The ship was pretty empty and since a lot of Americans were not flying over, they had special rates for Europeans. Crossing the Atlantic, TV programs were at a minimum if we got any at all, so were had no idea of what was happening. They put a board up in the guest relations area and posted any news about the US in Afghanistan as they received it.

When we did go through immigration, they did really check our passports looking at the picture and our face several times before returning our passport to us.

As we pulled into Ft. Lauderdale, there were several coast guard gunboats who met our ship. They did have divers check out the underside of the ship before we docked.

The airport was a zoo. Lines were long and security was hit or miss. Random people had an S on their boarding pass and were subject to multiple searches where the contents of their suitcases were completly gone through - even to the point of emptying them and going through everything.

How they picked the people who got an S was beyond me. They had two elderly English ladies who had to be in their 80's in the search line while the young man with the United Arab Emirate tee shirt went right through the check-in without being searched.

On 9/11 we were at Newark Airport ready to board our flight to London to catch our Marco Polo cruise of the Mediterranean. Our luggage was on the plane. We were watching the TV in the lounge when they showed the first plane hitting the World Trade Center. Of course, everyone thought it was an accident. We were told that all flights would be delayed. Then the second plane hit and we were all told to evacuate the terminals immediately. We were sent out onto the roadways of the airport. People were dragging their unchecked luggage, mothers with babies and small children, etc. All entry into the airport was shut off, no buses, taxis or private cars could enter or leave. The police arrived with rifles. We could see the smoke from the Towers. We were stranded there for hours. Fortunately, we lived only 20 minutes away and could return for our luggage in two days. I don't know how others managed to get to their destinations. Orient Lines ,at first, kept telling us it was our responsibility to get to the cruise on time or we would lose our money. When we asked how we were to do that since all flights in the US were grounded they repeated it was our responsibility! Two days later, we were told we could book the same flight in 2002 at half the price. We did and it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken On the anniversary of 9/11 they had a very emotional ceremony on board and all the Americans sang "God Bless America". I'll never forget it!

I had a cruise cancelled that was a year away. Some cruise lines changed many schedules and my cruise was outright cancelled. It wasn't like I could rebook since it was a cruise doing the Orinco River and only offered twice that year. The cruise line offered us a nice onboard credit if we booked another cruise, which we did.

My sister and I were sailing on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on 9/16/01. It left Vancouver about half full. Alot of people couldn't get their flights to Vancouver. Thank goodness we lived in Seattle and had already planned on catching the RCL bus to Vancouver. They were offering some great deals if you wanted to stay onboard and cruise back to California from Hawaii after our cruise was done. Alot of people took them up on it as you did get a great price.

It was interesting to hear what people had to go through in order to make the trip. Some even just jumped in their cars and drove almost cross country as soon as all flights were cancelled right after the attacks. They figured their flights might not make it and they didn't want to cancel their cruise. I don't even remember what the cruise lines offered passengers if they couldn't make the cruise. I just know we made a lot of calls trying to see if the ship was even going to sail.

My husband's co-worker got stuck in Mexico-as there were no out of US flights. She ended up taking a Carnival cruise from Cozumel back to Tampa and flying back from Tampa.

She knew we loved cruising and she kept saying she did not know why-she did not enjoy it-and my husband flatly told her that her "crusing experience" was colored by the stress of trying to get back home after a horrific terrorist attack-that she needed to give crusing another chance.

An interesting bit was our entry into the USA from Canada. A red eye to Montreal, where we went through the 'Official US Customs'. They gave me a form to say that we did not have more than $10,000.00, I filled it out, held it in my teeth as we pushed our bags through, and did not break stride as the agent removed it from my mouth, we had our pasports in hand, but they were not looked at. We were never examined again.

I'm a dual citizen (Canadian/American) and they absolutely check my passport(s) every time I go through customs. Because of some issues with the INS prior to my naturalization, I am always hauled into the immigration office.

And honestly, I have not heard a lot about Americans blaming Canadians for the terrorist attacks in many years. But Canadians do have to recognize that the refugee review board in Ottawa can be more than a tad too lax.

My sister and I were sailing on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on 9/16/01. It left Vancouver about half full. Alot of people couldn't get their flights to Vancouver. Thank goodness we lived in Seattle and had already planned on catching the RCL bus to Vancouver. They were offering some great deals if you wanted to stay onboard and cruise back to California from Hawaii after our cruise was done. Alot of people took them up on it as you did get a great price.

It was interesting to hear what people had to go through in order to make the trip. Some even just jumped in their cars and drove almost cross country as soon as all flights were cancelled right after the attacks. They figured their flights might not make it and they didn't want to cancel their cruise. I don't even remember what the cruise lines offered passengers if they couldn't make the cruise. I just know we made a lot of calls trying to see if the ship was even going to sail.

I remember my mother's panic as to whether flights would resume in time for them to get to the ship!! (LONG drive from NE!!)

They were offered $50pp to stay on the cruise from HI to MX. In fact, they stayed in the second nicest room on board for that price w/ 2 other ladies that they were traveling with! Concierge service & everything! They were offered the same deal for 2 more weeks thru Panama after that & turned it down...something they SOOOO regret now! (Especially since they are finally taking that Panama cruise this Feb. for a pretty penny more than that!!!!)

I remember my dad calling me from Hawaii.."Honey, we're staying! " How cool!

We cancelled our Oct. cruise that year. Lost a chunk of change, too. Just too scary since our kids were 6, 3 & 1!! Luckily we are making up for it now!

OK, I posted & it timed out...but what a riot!

They did take that deal...$50pp/day for 10 more days. They stayed for that rate in the second nicest room on the ship, as they added 3rd & 4th passengers (ladies they were traveling with). Could have had same rate for 10 more days thru Panama, too. They are SO regretting that now!

We were on a cruise 9-11 and everyone was upset when thy said all airports and cruise terminals were closed. We were set to cruise as long as thy would keep us. The terminals opened and we came in on schedule.

The whole passport thing is not up to par. A passport is required to enter the US. But it is rare that they check it when you get off a ship.

The whole passport thing is not up to par. A passport is required to enter the US. But it is rare that they check it when you get off a ship.

We have had passports for over 50 years and use them for all travel. We have never experienced any lack of inspection. Our last cruise, October '06, was a Mexican Riviera cruise, LA back to LA, and the Immigration clearance was as tight as we have experienced.

On Sept 11 '01, we were sat at our daughter's house, bags packed, waiting to go to the airport for a flight to Barcelona to pick up Legend of the Seas for a Med cruise. Needless to say we didn't make it. RCI were great. They gave us a full refund, no hassle at all. We immediately rebooked for the following year in the Med. RCI then canceled all Med cruises for 2002. We rebooked on the Brilliance for the Baltic. RCI even gave us an onboard credit because they canceled our Med cruise. That experience is one of the reasons we now have over 20 cruises with RCI.

That is not the case in Port of Miami, Port Everglades, Charleston and Port Caniveral. We got off this past July and November in Ft Lauderdale with nothing but carry-on luggage in hand and no one has ask for any id yet. The last time I remember being checked at disembark was Port Everglades in Feb of 2002 and that was eleven cruises ago. I really think security was tighter before 9/11. Passport does make it easier to embark.

That's not my experience. On all my cruises (Miami, Port Canaveral, Galveston, San Juan, and LA), I've had my passport scrutinized as I got off the ship.

We were due to fly to Washington, D.C. on 9/12/01 for a land vacation. So, that was sadly canceled.

I found a deal on the Explorer leaving on 9/19, so we went to Las Vegas for a few days before, and flew from there. We had almost the entire plane to ourselves.

At the end of the cruise, they posted a $250 pp deal if the current pax would stay and do a back-to-back. I wanted to, but the airfare cancelation fee was too much.

Probably the last Explorer cruise that wasn't crowded!!

I was on a HAL ship northbound on 9/11, arriving Halifax NS, as the attack occured. There were rumors floating around, mostly on the CC HAL board, as to (1) Would we leave port, (2) Would we return back to Boston, (3) Something else I forget.

Anyway, I checked with onboard security and was told, "Departing as scheduled." We did. I wondered if we were continuing northeast to Sydney NS, or turning back to Boston, but as I stood on the Sky Deck and read the stars, I realized we were, indeed, continuing our cruise.

Planes flew two days before I flew home and I had no problems at all. The ship turned around and began the return southbound cruise as usual.

How did 9/11 effect cruises? Where any cruises canceled after 9/11 due to the terrorist level?

I will be calm as I ask this. What prompted this? We all know it happened and will never forget that.

Not sure why you need to remind your self to remain calm when asking the question?

I ask as this is one way I can tell determine a companies customer service level.

I guess:confused: :confused: :confused:

Not sure why you need to remind your self to remain calm when asking the question?

I ask as this is one way I can tell determine a companies customer service level.

Good point. Many passengers that I spoke to on the NCL Sun were very upset with the line, due to lack of information regarding the docking changes, from New York to Boston.

One passenger also stated, that since the Company had saved so much money on fuel, they could well afford to infom their guests about the change of the port of departure.

john

Archived