Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

Our guide last week was Tex. He was witty, informative and very accommodating.

I've gone through this thread a couple of time before I asked this question...:o

Is Galileo and Tex the same person? After reviewing this thread, I submitted a request for a driver in August from Bodden tours and with Orsy. Gerry is not available, but Galileo is. He is from TX and very familiar with the island.

Orsy Cruise is also available which I obtained from this thread.

Any insight on which to use. Price is about the same and they visit the same place, wherever we want...:D

I've gone through this thread a couple of time before I asked this question...:o

Is Galileo and Tex the same person? After reviewing this thread, I submitted a request for a driver in August from Bodden tours and with Orsy. Gerry is not available, but Galileo is. He is from TX and very familiar with the island.

Orsy Cruise is also available which I obtained from this thread.

Any insight on which to use. Price is about the same and they visit the same place, wherever we want...:D

Tex is not actually from Texas. He said the he got his nickname from his love of country music. It doesn't sound like he and Galileo are the same person.

I think he said his father spent some time in Texas, but I can't be sure of that. I might have made that part up.....:D :D

Tex is not actually from Texas. He said the he got his nickname from his love of country music. It doesn't sound like he and Galileo are the same person.

I think he said his father spent some time in Texas, but I can't be sure of that. I might have made that part up.....:D :D

In addition to Bodden and Orsy Cruz, I have made a third inquiry with Roatan Cab tours. All three are from requests on this board. I will compare my options and see what happens.

He told us it was his given name-on his birth certificate and everything. His dad spent time there and liked it. He (Tex) said his brothers have 'normal names," rocky and ...? gawd, drawing a blank...another R name!

We just returned from an exotic Western Caribbean cruise & stopped in Roatan. We also went through Victor Bodden Tours and had Cardy as our driver. He was awesome! Our whole family enjoyed our day with him, so much so that we are now email buddies! He is great with kids (having 5 of his own) and my kids absolutely loved him. So if you are looking for another driver recommendation, our family highly recommends Cardy. There is a photo of him (I think on page 3 or 4) in our photo album attached to my signature. One of our disposable cameras was defective so most of our photos from Roatan did not turn out. However, my in-laws had their camera as well and when I see them this week, I will download their photos & will hopefully have more photos of Roatan Island added to our album by the week's end.

We are going to be in Rotoan in October and we were looking into using victor and doing the ziplining. I was surprised to see that they wouldnt take you to the extreme zipline. Has anything changed with their tours for ziplining?

I was at Victors house on 6/20 and noticed a huge spool of wire on the property. Victor told us that he will be building his own zipline course on his 14 acres. I don't know when he plans to have this finished.

Just returned from my 6/22 Carnival Legend cruise. We were in Roatan on the 27th and had Antony as our tour guide. He was absolutely fabulous and had a great time. In fact, my husband said that the day in Roatan was his favorite day of the week. We did the jungle canopy zipline, monkeys, half moon bay, and a little shopping. I have to say that everything was done so well! Btw, the jungle canopy was a ton of fun (I did the crazy monkey!) and Pedro was our guide through it. I highly recommend that activity and if you get Pedro you will not be disappointed!

The monkeys at Victor's house were awesome and his family was very sweet. Nothing beats snorkeling at Half Moon Bay. Gorgeous.

I want to think everyone who contributed to this thread because it helped me make a great decision. Roatan was unbelievable and Victor Bodden tours helped to make it a great day.

• 4 weeks later...
The monkeys at Victor's house were awesome and his family was very sweet. Nothing beats snorkeling at Half Moon Bay. Gorgeous.

I want to think everyone who contributed to this thread because it helped me make a great decision. Roatan was unbelievable and Victor Bodden tours helped to make it a great day.

do they have snorkle equiment for rent? life vests? Did you see many fish? close to shore or far off?

That sounds fun to me.

do they have snorkle equiment for rent? life vests? Did you see many fish? close to shore or far off?

That sounds fun to me.

There are several dive shops in Coxen Hole where you can rent everything you'll need. (Don't forget your camera....an underwater disposable is $25 if you buy it there!) We took our own masks and snorkels, but rented fins.

The snorkeling was awesome! We saw tons of interesting fish.....I am SO ready to do that again!!!!!!!! You should have a great time, if you are a snorkeler.

So is the price for the driver/tour really for the entire day? There will just be two of us, so $40 each for the whole day?

Also, there are two choices for snorkeling under the "best of" tour. One is West Bay Resort, the other is Half Moon Bay...anyone know the difference? Any opinions on either or both of these would be great.

Thanks!

So is the price for the driver/tour really for the entire day? There will just be two of us, so $40 each for the whole day?

Also, there are two choices for snorkeling under the "best of" tour. One is West Bay Resort, the other is Half Moon Bay...anyone know the difference? Any opinions on either or both of these would be great.

Thanks!

To get the price for two, you would have to contact Victor. In St. Lucia, we paid more per person because there were just two of us.

I would tip 15-20% depending on the service provided - I don't think group size is an issue? There are 2 of us going on the tour so it's $40 pp - I suspect if we are happy we will tip $8-10$ pp - or an even $50 if it was excellent!

• 4 weeks later...

I booked Victor last September and he was our driver for the day.This year he said I will have Julio,has anyone had him as your driver? How was he? We are going to Mayan Princess this time with a stop in Coxen hole to do some shopping.I really want to stop at orphanage but I'm sure I will leave there very emotional and will probrably stay that way for the entire cruise,so not sure if it is a good idea.

We used Victor back in Jan. 08 and it was our favorite excursion of the cruise, as far as being personable and informative. Ali was our guide and he was sooo kind. He talked to us during the drive (in a nice small, air conditioned car) about history, culture and politics, but not to the point where you wanted to say "Shut up and let us just enjoy!" He tried very hard to squeeze in everything during our short time there (NCL Spirit, the engine problem made us arrive around 2:00) and succeeded! He even helped my husband negotiate some cigars.

FYI, we did ziplining, Victor's house, West End sunset and overlook for photos and some limited shopping, then had a few beers. Well worth it on all fronts (well, except maybe the shopping).

I love this kind of tour and wish it were easier (and as affordable) to get that kind in all ports.

How did you determine what to do on a tour? Did you research the area and pick what you wanted to see or just book a tour and they take you to all the hot spots? Is the price $40pp no matter what you want to do? Does VB have a website? I haven't seen that posted.

Thanks!

go to boddentours.com - you will see various tour options and when you complete the 'reservation form' you will need to tick off the 'sites' you are interested in....I'm sure they could customize a tour for you and/or provide suggestions on what you might like to see!

General price looks like $40 pp for 2 - and then some 'add-ons' depending on where you want to go!

Have fun!

I just emailed him this past weekend and got a response from Victor in less than an hour. We requested a driver we had read about on CC and were happy to hear he was available the day we're there. We told him what we were interested in and he said he would be happy to arrange it for us. We can't wait! It's 30 p/p for the three of us :)

I just emailed him this past weekend and got a response from Victor in less than an hour. We requested a driver we had read about on CC and were happy to hear he was available the day we're there. We told him what we were interested in and he said he would be happy to arrange it for us. We can't wait! It's 30 p/p for the three of us :)

I think you are also doing the Western Glory - before me (lucky you) so I can't wait to hear all about it! Have a blast!

I think you are also doing the Western Glory - before me (lucky you) so I can't wait to hear all about it! Have a blast!

I plan on having a great time :) DD is coming along and she has never cruised, she also has a camera addiction so I hope to get some great pics to go along with my review. This has been a tough cruise for planning excursions for me so I hope to have all my stuff finalized in the next week or so, wish me luck ;)