Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

Okay - anyone know what is in a Monkey la la? Sounds like a pretty popular dinrk and I just might have to investigate (for research purposes you understand? :D )

Ours at Bananarama had Kahlua, Baileys, Vodka and Coconut Milk blended with ice. Yummy! In my Caribbean Travel Magazine, it gave the recipe from Sundowners in West End, and it didn't have the Baileys but was blended with vanilla ice cream.

• 2 weeks later...

Our family of eight arrived on Roatan via the Carnival Valor and booked Bodden Tours prior for a private tour of the island. We were not disappointed. We had Lionel as our guide and he was great with a really good personality. The price was only $25 a person and we went where ever we wanted to go and stayed as long as we wanted. We had a great overview of the island and got to play with the monkeys as Victor Bodden's house. My wife got bit three times, but they did not break the skin. I think it was her cherry lotion she put on her arms prior. One suggestion about the animals though- Victor needs to have soap in his restroom, or at least hand sanitizer for his guests as animals carry many germs. Roatan is a beautiful country and you really need to get away from the cruise port to see it and Bodden tours and Lionel is the best way to do this. By the way Lionel was very honest and did not allow us to waste our money at the Iguana Farm as he stated that since it was cloudy no iguanas would even be out.

Hi

We just got back from the Valor. We used victor $25pp for all day use of van and driver. With only the 6 in our group. $45 for the zip lining (which is now at his house) Ben our driver was great, took us anywhere we wanted to go. He answered all our questions, and we had many since we are looking to retire there. Showed us many properties, gave us prices and living cost. learned alot. Then we went to west end. A little shopping.

Stopped at barefeet bar on the beach for a drink. What a great place to have a drink, relax, laugh, and take a lot of pics.

You could never go wrong booking with him.

We have been corresponding with Victor for a tour, when we are in Roatan next month. The emails were all in perfect English for the first 2 months, but for the last several weeks, the English is very stilted and not grammatically correct. Does anyone know if there is a problem or if something has changed with the tours?

We have been corresponding with Victor for a tour, when we are in Roatan next month. The emails were all in perfect English for the first 2 months, but for the last several weeks, the English is very stilted and not grammatically correct. Does anyone know if there is a problem or if something has changed with the tours?

I had that same problem when I didn't include a copy of my previous correspondence with him in subsequent emails. He couldn't seem to find my reservation without associating it with my previous emails from him.

I assume it is because he has some stock answers that he uses for basic questions. He is self-taught in both English and computer skills, so I just do everything I can to make his job easier.

I had that same problem when I didn't include a copy of my previous correspondence with him in subsequent emails. He couldn't seem to find my reservation without associating it with my previous emails from him.

I assume it is because he has some stock answers that he uses for basic questions. He is self-taught in both English and computer skills, so I just do everything I can to make his job easier.

I think you're right on. My family loved getting letters from Victor and complimented him on his command of the English language. Sometimes we had to "sound out" the words that he wrote, but found the effort that he made far and above what we expected.

I assume if I tried to write in Spanish my spelling and verbage might leave alot to be desired since I've never had a formal Spanish lesson or class. I know how to speak enough to be understood, but honestly have very little knowledge of spelling or all of the tenses.

Just reading these posts has inspired me to write Victor and see how he and his family are doing and remind him how much fun we had on his tour, and how much we learned and enjoyed the time spent with him. I would try to write him in Spanish, but don't want him to laugh too hard.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with the whole self-taught English thing. I'm living in Mexico right now, and I have a number of friends who can speak and understand English brilliantly, like a native speaker. When they write though, it's painful, I often have to sound things out.

I would agree, Victor probably has some stock responses that he got translated by a professional, and then anything else he types out. It doesn't mean that he doesn't speak/understand everything your write. Just that, he can't spell. Which lots of native speakers have trouble with!

We are planning to use Bodden this Nov. We have 2 young children 3&4. Do you think the kids can do the zipline at Victors/Mayan Jungle Canp. Thanks for your feedback.

I'd email Victor and ask him what he thinks. I would think they probably would be okay, but they would have to go tandem with a guide.

We used Victor on 9/24 and loved him...

I don't think there's any problem with the tours based on the difference in emails. I do think that he has "canned" responses but if you ask more in-depth questions, it is more difficult for him to respond in English. That is what I experienced when I communicated with him. He was our driver & was not difficult to understand as he gave us the tour.

We toured with Victor in February. The Norwegian Spirit was late getting to port - like after 4pm! There were over 40 of us. It was chaos getting off of the ship with only a couple of hours of sunlight. I made my way to the meeting spot, and Victor was waiting. It was like meeting an old friend because we had corresponded so much before hand. He said that if we left right away the people that wanted to zipline could make it and the rest of us would go see the monkeys and go to the restaurant to see the sunset. He personally left quickly with the zipliners and the other 30 of us boarded an air-conditioned bus that was very new. Angela was our guide and rode in the middle of us passengers while another big guy drove the bus. She told us different things about the island and answered questions. She spoke excellent English. We went to Victor's and the kids loved the monkeys. We got to the restaurant overlooking the water just in time to see the sunset - like 20 min before sunset. We had drinks and lots of us ordered food. Victor and the zipliners made it to meet us and they were all so excited saying how much fun the ziplining was. They had about 45 minutes at the restaurant/water before we started back. We had about 30 min to shop at the port before having to board the ship.

All I can say is that Victor was one of the most accomodating, friendly and truly geniune people I have dealt with since independently booking excursions. I would not hesitate to use his services again.

He is a really wonderful person.

Kathy

I booked Victor as a solo(yes i know i'll pay double for the service) but has any else booked him just as single. Is it like you own private guide all day. I told him what I wanted to do and he confirmed my reservations. When I compared what it would cost to take a either just the snorkel trip $56 or the Jolly Roger $82 it only a little more and you get to do and see much more for only a little difference.

My main goal is to snorkel and see animals everything else would just be an added pleaseure. Has anyone done the snorkeling off the boat is it that much better than off the dock. Also are these boat are they easy to get in and out of i'm a rather large guy so some boats are harder than others.

Thanks,

David

• 3 weeks later...

A group of us were just on the Norwegian Pearl Nov2-9 and we booked TEX with victor Bodden tours and he was AWESOME!! We went to victor's house and the monkeys were incredible. We then went on a tour of the island and at our request TEX took us out snorkelling. He got in the water with us and showed us some really great things we wouldn't have noticed snorkelling on our own. I would highly reccommend this tour company. They were very professional and efficient. We never once worried about the time as TEX kept us right on track.

Well I was so looking forward to our visit to Roatan and tour with Ali but since we were not allowed to disembark in Roatan due to the 'civil unrest' we missed out :( I really wanted to see the island and esp do some snorkelling - oh well - some other time!

Originally I booked with Victor Bodden as a group of 3. However my two friends totally bailed on me. I still wanted to do the tour, and knew that I would pay more as a solo.

When I arrived at the port, it was super easy to find the wooden stand where he is located. I got to speak with Victor himself and we were able to negotiate a fair price for a single.

Tex was my tour guide and he was TERRIFIC. He was patient with all of the silly questions I asked and patient whenever I wanted to stop for a beer or picture somewhere.

I truly wanted to go snorkling, but the weather was too cold for my florida bones to enjoy anything in the water.

I would reccommend Victor's company to anyone solo or not. He is both friendly and fair. The staff (Tex anyways) is knowledgable, the vehicle was nice, and I never felt scared or worried.

I can't wait to go back someday.

Originally I booked with Victor Bodden as a group of 3. However my two friends totally bailed on me. I still wanted to do the tour, and knew that I would pay more as a solo.

When I arrived at the port, it was super easy to find the wooden stand where he is located. I got to speak with Victor himself and we were able to negotiate a fair price for a single.

Tex was my tour guide and he was TERRIFIC. He was patient with all of the silly questions I asked and patient whenever I wanted to stop for a beer or picture somewhere.

I truly wanted to go snorkling, but the weather was too cold for my florida bones to enjoy anything in the water.

I would reccommend Victor's company to anyone solo or not. He is both friendly and fair. The staff (Tex anyways) is knowledgable, the vehicle was nice, and I never felt scared or worried.

I can't wait to go back someday.

I am going as a solo......can ask what price you were able to negotiate?

David

We did a tour with Victor last week and he took us out himself. He was great, the island tour was nice and the kids had a blast ziplining and playing with monkeys. We stopped at Tabayana for a brief visit and it was just lovely. Great tour, highly recommended.

We used Bodden tours on our recent 11/16 cruise. I had read good things about Ali and requested him. He was very helpful and was familiar with the orphanage and school we visited. He helped us shop for groceries and gave us a tour. If you have time as to see his church. He just became pastor of a very modest congregation.

Are the monkeys captive or wild? We'll be visiting Roatan at New Year and would prefer to see "natural" wildlife rather than animals that are kept in enclosures etc. Same question applies to the iguana farm please?

the monkeys at Victors are in an enclosure. There was one that was outside. You can enter the enclosure and feed the monkeys. Pretty funny having them sit on your head............ He also has some parrots in an enclosure which you can enter and feed the birds.

Are the monkeys captive or wild? We'll be visiting Roatan at New Year and would prefer to see "natural" wildlife rather than animals that are kept in enclosures etc. Same question applies to the iguana farm please?

The iguanas are not in enclosures. Here are some pictures from our February tour on Carnival Valor:

PDR_1438.jpg.4a8fa7fc51e394460a685bd5f051da69.jpg

PDR_1436.jpg.54b649c0ddadd82c84bf18e236f9608f.jpg

PDR_1443.jpg.b97529d4c9835ca85be245da821bda5c.jpg