Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

We were in Roatan on April 22, coming in on the Carnival Valor. After listening to the wonderful reviews on CC about Bodden Tours, we booked our Best of Roatan tour. Our guide was Juan Carlos and he was fabulous! He met us right outside the gates and gave us a wonderful tour of the island. Our daughter had been to the island getting her divemaster certification a few years ago and it was great getting to see all of the places she talked about. Then we went snorkeling at Half Moon Bay. Juan Carlos and our snorkeling guide (forgive me, I don't remember his name) took us out in the glass bottom boat. We went to the Blue Channel. It was amazing! The equipment was really good, the guide gave us good instructions and showed us all sorts of fish and coral and live conch! We had a lovely lunch and sampled the local beer at the restaurant overlooking the bay. It was drizzling for most of the morning, but towards the end of lunch the sun came out and it was just like a postcard. Then we went to Victor's house to see the animals. It was a blast! The animals are very well cared for. The monkeys are so funny and loved my DH! He had at least 3 with him the whole time. Juan Carlos was always closeby to answer any questions we had and we felt completey comfortable with him. He was proud of the island and it showed. I highly recommend booking a tour with them. I know we will again when we return.

We used Victor for our stop in Roatan in February 09. Our driver Ali was friendly and went out of his way to ensure we had a great time. We drove all over the island, spent some time at the west-end beach and saw the Victor's monkeys.

I would whole-heartily recommend Victor's tour to any cruiser.

We were in Roatan on April 23. Tex was our driver. We had a great time. Tex shared his stash of freshly roasted cashews. Mmmm Mmmm good! We just didnt have enough time to do everything we wanted to do.

DSC07021.jpg.96c20d322f9d7db810ab1f6343c67787.jpg

I have nothing but great things to say about Victor Bodden and his staff. We recently visited Roatan and spent the day touring the island, doing the jungle canopy tour and stopped at Half Moon Bay for a refreshing swim and snorkel time. The canopy tour is top notch compared to other canopy tours we have done over the years. The equipment is new and the best available as far as safety standards. Victor himself is very professional (from the first email I sent him to make a reservation, throughout our tour and ending with a followup email thanking us for our business). I was extremely pleased with Victor and his staff and would highly recommend spending a day with him if you get the chance!

For those of you who went to Half Moon Bay, how large of a beach is it? About how many people were there? Thanks for any information.

It's not all that large and it has alot of shade trees. I would say it is a better beach for snorkelling than a swim area. There were many people in the water though. There was alot of grass growing in the sand very close to the shore. I really enjoyed it because we got a chair right by the water under some shade trees. It also has an outdoor restaurant and clean bathrooms. It is very close to the sandy beaches on the West End area. It does have a small sandy shore area. I'd say there was twenty five or so people there on the day we visited. I've seen some pictures of other beaches in Roatan that had the beautiful sandy beaches with the bright turqoise waters. This was more of a tropical beach.

Here's one area

2338379320104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

view across the beach- notice the little yellow submarine in the pic. It was docked by the pier and looked like it was big enough for one person2376951480105078574S600x600Q85.jpg

view from the patio/outdoor restaurant

2958826710104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

We just got back and Roatan with Victor, and it was the best. Lionel was our guide and was great. There was 8 in our group and Lionel kept 4 busy while the other 4 of us were on the zip line. We then toured the island and ended with snorkeling, drinks and shopping at the west end. I will use him again when we return to Roatan.

It's not all that large and it has alot of shade trees. I would say it is a better beach for snorkelling than a swim area. There were many people in the water though. There was alot of grass growing in the sand very close to the shore. I really enjoyed it because we got a chair right by the water under some shade trees. It also has an outdoor restaurant and clean bathrooms. It is very close to the sandy beaches on the West End area. It does have a small sandy shore area. I'd say there was twenty five or so people there on the day we visited. I've seen some pictures of other beaches in Roatan that had the beautiful sandy beaches with the bright turqoise waters. This was more of a tropical beach.

Here's one area

2338379320104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

view across the beach- notice the little yellow submarine in the pic. It was docked by the pier and looked like it was big enough for one person2376951480105078574S600x600Q85.jpg

view from the patio/outdoor restaurant

2958826710104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

Thank you for the extra pictures and information. I really don't have to swim or snorkel. I am most interested in a scenic beach that isn't crowded. Is there a different beach you would recommend?

The beach area at Infinity Bay condos (public beach) is absolutely gorgeous. It's far enough away from the crowded areas at Tabyana that you don't hear too much but being close to IB condos you can get drinks/snacks from their bar. The only downside is no lounges (they are reserved for IB residents) but we plopped down on our towels and had the time of our lives. Tex took us there after the Mayan Princess turned us away and I cannot tell you how lucky we were to wind up where we did.

Truly paradise and if you're interested in snorkeling you walk about maybe 25 feet and you're at the start of the reef.

We loved the island so much that we're returning in Sept for 8 days.

Thank you for the extra pictures and information. I really don't have to swim or snorkel. I am most interested in a scenic beach that isn't crowded. Is there a different beach you would recommend?

That's the only beach that I have spent much time at. I've read many great reviews about Tabayana beach, but can't say for myself. I remember seeing some beautiful pics of a beach [white sand/turquoise waters] in review of the Carnival Legend by PaulMedik. He went the week after I did in April. If you can search for his review [on the Carnival boards] you scroll through it to find the pics he posted. If you are touring with one of Victor's guides, you could just tell them what you are looking for.

We just got back and Roatan with Victor, and it was the best. Lionel was our guide and was great. There was 8 in our group and Lionel kept 4 busy while the other 4 of us were on the zip line. We then toured the island and ended with snorkeling, drinks and shopping at the west end. I will use him again when we return to Roatan.

Please can you tell me what the others were doing while you ziplined. I want to book a group of us, but only a few want to zipline.

They were playing with the monkeys and visiting the other animals there. They also could watch us as we passed some spots and Victors wife has a little gift shop there. It only took us about 40 min to zip.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Roatan in Feb 09 from The Norweigian Pearl.This was our 2nd time in Roatan, but our first with Victor Bodden Tours. Our guide was Norma, and she was FANTASTIC!! She took us wherever we wanted to go, plus some ideas of her own. I would highly recommend Bodden tours to anyone who is sitting on the fence wondering if they should or shouldn't book it! You won't be disappointed! Look at all the people here who have loved the tours, we can't all be wrong!!

We didn't use Victor last week when we were there because we were originally going on a zip line through another vendor with other passengers who had to cancel their cruise due to family emergency. But Victor's kiosk was right next to our vendors and I saw a guy with a UT Longhorn cap and asked if he was Tex. It was Victor, himself!! Very personable, very humbled by all the great reviews he's gotten and very proud that people are enjoying his tours. If we're in Roatan again (and we loved the island so will be back) we'll definitely book with Victor.:)

Dose Bodden ask for a deposit prior to arrival? Payment in full before arrival or pay at the end?

I notice several people mention you can request your guide. Who would be your favorite?

I just booked hos tour for Sept, and no deposit or pymt in full is required. He does ask that you pay in cash at the end of your tour....

We were with Tex in April and had the time of our life! I don't think I've ever read a negative review about any of his guides. Victor's company is extremely well run and professional and his philosophy for his drivers is that it's your day and whatever you want to do just let your driver know and he will make it happen.

We loved our time in Roatan so much so that we're returning in a few months to meet with a real estate agent to buy our retirement home (we retire 2010).

It's a fantastic island - get out and explore and don't miss visiting the monkey's at Victor's home............:)

OK so there's two of us so it would cost $80.00. That's too much to spend for a guide to take us to a beach and back. We aren't interested in watching natives dance, zip lining, having monkeys crawl on us, or eating anywhere. Not trying to be a smart aleck, just saying.... Is there any place else you'd recommend the guide take us besides to the beach in order to get our money's worth? We like animals (just not having them all over us), gardens, scenery, that type of stuff.

OK so there's two of us so it would cost $80.00. That's too much to spend for a guide to take us to a beach and back. We aren't interested in watching natives dance, zip lining, having monkeys crawl on us, or eating anywhere. Not trying to be a smart aleck, just saying.... Is there any place else you'd recommend the guide take us besides to the beach in order to get our money's worth? We like animals (just not having them all over us), gardens, scenery, that type of stuff.

Hi......Have you tried going on your Roll Call and seeing if anyone else would be interested in using Bodden with you? If you get another couple then it would only be $50, a bit less for you :)

If you go on a cruise sponsored tour, it will cost you more per person for a few hours than what you would pay to go on a tour with Victor. You are right that you wouldn't want to pay that much if all you wanted was a ride to the beach.

When you book a driver for the day, they will take you anywhere you want to go, you can skip anything that doesn't interest you, and spend more time at places you like. There is no set schedule for anything. They will have suggestions and are happy to show you their country and give you some history. You can also check his website for other ideas [just google it].

You basically will get a custom made tour that meets your needs for the day.

Edited by MDSue