Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

Just returned last week from Roatan & used Victor Bodden, our guide was Ali. It got us to all our stops ahead of any traffic. We did the Pirate Extreme Zipline & it was awesome, great views of the ocean. My only concern was where is says you can use a credit card at this zipline. It's $65.00PP & was trying not to take a ton of cash, wanted to use my credit/debit card. The people at the zipline (not Victor's people) acted like it was an inconvenience to use my card. The guy actually took 2 times trying to run it, then said oh we forgot to add the fee, it's like 20% more to use a credit card. At this point I was afraid it would mess up my card so DH & I were able to cover the amount in the cash we had. Next time we go back here I'll make sure to have the cash instead.

I think what I liked best about Victor Bodden was the one on one service. Ali always locked the car & we felt safe leaving our items in the car. So many of the ship sponsered excursions you feel unsafe since you are on a bus with a bunch of people you don't know.

We had also heard about the inexpensive Lobster in Roatan. We had lunch at a restaurant called The Lighthouse. The prices were very good.

Just returned last week from Roatan & used Victor Bodden, our guide was Ali. It got us to all our stops ahead of any traffic. We did the Pirate Extreme Zipline & it was awesome, great views of the ocean. My only concern was where is says you can use a credit card at this zipline. It's $65.00PP & was trying not to take a ton of cash, wanted to use my credit/debit card. The people at the zipline (not Victor's people) acted like it was an inconvenience to use my card. The guy actually took 2 times trying to run it, then said oh we forgot to add the fee, it's like 20% more to use a credit card. At this point I was afraid it would mess up my card so DH & I were able to cover the amount in the cash we had. Next time we go back here I'll make sure to have the cash instead.

I think what I liked best about Victor Bodden was the one on one service. Ali always locked the car & we felt safe leaving our items in the car. So many of the ship sponsered excursions you feel unsafe since you are on a bus with a bunch of people you don't know.

We had also heard about the inexpensive Lobster in Roatan. We had lunch at a restaurant called The Lighthouse. The prices were very good.

Thanks for the good info! Did you like Ali? Talkative, providing enuf island info? or too quiet and you had to keep asking questions?

What else did you do besides the ziplining? Also where is the Lighthouse restaurant located? What did you have for lunch? How was the lobster prepared and how much was it!

TIA!

Thanks for the good info! Did you like Ali? Talkative, providing enuf island info? or too quiet and you had to keep asking questions?

What else did you do besides the ziplining? Also where is the Lighthouse restaurant located? What did you have for lunch? How was the lobster prepared and how much was it!

TIA!

Tia, I see you like to cruise as much as I do. Yes, we liked Ali, he was very informative & told us about all kinds of things as we went to all our locations. They like to get you to the zipline as early as possible to beat the crowds so that's usually the first thing to do. After that we went to Victo'rs house & saw the Monkey's they were really neat. The Lighthouse & Victors house were about 10 minutes apart I think it was the West End.

I thought lunch there was pretty cheap. We got a lobster basket (grilled with 2 lobsters), shrimp basket, grilled chicken sandwich & a fried chicken sandwich. All came with fries. We had bottled water & a few sodas & it was $38.00 before tip. The lobster there is a warm water type & does not have claws, they were very good.

After that Ali took us by a school, my son is in third grade so we took a few things that he uses as a third grader. We were going to go to the beach but by then with an 8 year old were tired & hot & ready to go back.

Some friends used Tex that day with Victor & were pleased with him as well.

Just got back from Roatan and had booked a tour with Victor Bodden tours. We found out that Victor had recently opened his own zip line adjacent to his home and monkey farm, and charges $45 pp to zip. Victor was there and convinced us to take the challenge, and he even zipped with us. Victor's wife has a small souvenier store on the property and we bought a beautiful basket made from pine needles and a wooden vase made with wood from Honduras. She speaks very little English, but we were able to make the purchases with no problem. Victor, himself, gave us the island tour and took us where ever we wanted. He even took us to a local grocer for us to buy coffee and vanilla, where the prices would be better and the people knew him. He stopped when and where we wanted, and we were blessed to have the experience. There were 4 of us and he charged $25 pp, and we even had an air conditioned van. We look forward to going back and seeing Victor again. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

I don't think you'll be disspointed. There are several "beaches" along a stretch, which are essentially one big beach. It's not like there are fences between them or anything.

Victor's people are really great. At least they were really great to us....

Victor's people are great. We had a very nice lady (sorry, I can't remeber her name.) She took us exactly where we wanted--ziplining and a beautiful beach. Highly recommend Victor and his company! Judy

Tia, I see you like to cruise as much as I do. Yes, we liked Ali, he was very informative & told us about all kinds of things as we went to all our locations. They like to get you to the zipline as early as possible to beat the crowds so that's usually the first thing to do. After that we went to Victo'rs house & saw the Monkey's they were really neat. The Lighthouse & Victors house were about 10 minutes apart I think it was the West End.

I thought lunch there was pretty cheap. We got a lobster basket (grilled with 2 lobsters), shrimp basket, grilled chicken sandwich & a fried chicken sandwich. All came with fries. We had bottled water & a few sodas & it was $38.00 before tip. The lobster there is a warm water type & does not have claws, they were very good.

After that Ali took us by a school, my son is in third grade so we took a few things that he uses as a third grader. We were going to go to the beach but by then with an 8 year old were tired & hot & ready to go back.

Some friends used Tex that day with Victor & were pleased with him as well.

Thanks for the great info gracie! We asked for Tex but he was unavailable so I believe we are touring with Ali! Can't believe how cheap the lunch was - and I am definitely looking forward to ending up at a beach somewhere!

Froufie~ any idea what you are going to do yet? We want to go by Victors house and then do some snorkeling and beach time/lunch. I am looking forward to it and hope it turns out to be a great time :)

No major plans - island tour, iguana farm, and a visit to a beach - hopefully at the Mayan Princess? or somewhere in that area!

Has anyone ever booked Victor Bodden on the Offshore Reef Snorkeling Tour?

You are transported to the West End, the guide will point out the points of interest along the way. You are taken out by boat to a snorkeling reef off the beaches of Roatan. Their website says the transportation to West End - $20 per person and then, snorkel trip by boat - $15 per person. After your snorkel, you can grab a nice lunch, do some shopping or enjoy the beach at West End. The guides will return you to your cruise ship with plenty of time to spare.

We really want to go snorkeling in Roatan so this looks like a great deal!

Thanks,

Julie

Question for anyone who has done zip lining. I would love to do this but I'm a large person, are any of you? if so how was it?

Most all of the ziplining companies have a weight limit of around 250lbs. You'd need to check with each ziplining company if you're over that weight to see if you'd even be able to do it.

Just booked with Victor this past weekend for our Carnival Legend Cruise. We will be in Roatan for my birthday on Sept. 24.:) I was very impressed with how professional Victor was and how fast he responded!

2 quick questions -

First there is just my DH and me - I assumed we would have a private tour with a driver to ourselves - is this true? Has anyone been paired up with other people?

Second - alot of people talk about how glad they were to get a car/van with A/C - is this because some of them don't have it? Is this a special request?

I think I have decided not to reuqest a specific driver - everyone has good things to say about so many of them - I think I will just take a chance and see...

Thanks in advance!:)

From what I have read I am pretty sure it will be just the 2 of you! What are you planning to see/do?

Guess you can always request a car w/AC if that is a concern..... I would hope almost all of them would have this given the tropical climate.

Can't wait to hear about your tour when you get back! Have fun.

TIA!

We just booked with VB this week and got Ali too! Is his English understandable? We are not ziplining but more of an island tour with a stop at a beach for swimming. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the tour when we return. It is just my husband and I so it's $40pp :p

We just booked with VB this week and got Ali too! Is his English understandable? We are not ziplining but more of an island tour with a stop at a beach for swimming. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the tour when we return. It is just my husband and I so it's $40pp :p

Wow - sounds very similar to our tour! Ali has gotten very good reviews on the boards so I"m sure he will be great! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back!!! :D

Wow - sounds very similar to our tour! Ali has gotten very good reviews on the boards so I"m sure he will be great! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back!!! :D

For sure...I hate coming back though! Every time we do we start planning the next one! With the price of flying though we may have to start taking cruises from Baltimore. I see the Carnival Pride is going to start sailing from there in Sept. 2009! Might have to look into that. :rolleyes:

From what I have read I am pretty sure it will be just the 2 of you! What are you planning to see/do?

Guess you can always request a car w/AC if that is a concern..... I would hope almost all of them would have this given the tropical climate.

Can't wait to hear about your tour when you get back! Have fun.

Thanks! Getting really excited now!

We are doing what sounds like a lot of people do - island tour, Victor's house and swimming/snorkeling from the beach. Really looking forward to it!:D

I just returned a few weeks ago & had Ali he was great, very easy going & did whatever we wanted. I don't know if each guide owns their vehicles or what but he had a small compact car. It was perfect for us since there were only three & more importantly it did have AC. The car locks worked great & he locked it up everywhere we stopped.

Here is a picture of Ali with my son & husband:

Sorry it didn't post correctly, I need to figure out how to get a picture to post on the board & it not be tee tiney!!!!!!LOL

I just returned a few weeks ago & had Ali he was great, very easy going & did whatever we wanted. I don't know if each guide owns their vehicles or what but he had a small compact car. It was perfect for us since there were only three & more importantly it did have AC. The car locks worked great & he locked it up everywhere we stopped.

Here is a picture of Ali with my son & husband:

Sorry it didn't post correctly, I need to figure out how to get a picture to post on the board & it not be tee tiney!!!!!!LOL

So...Ali is disguised as the Carnival Mascot? Tricky!!! ;)

So...Ali is disguised as the Carnival Mascot? Tricky!!! ;)

I knew I would get that, I should have just deleted my sentance where I tried to put a picture of Ali. After I posted I couldn't get the picture to work I saw Freddie which is part of my signature & knew someone would say something about it LOL!!!!!

That's why Ali has A/C in his car since he dresses up that way everyday!!!!!

I knew I would get that, I should have just deleted my sentance where I tried to put a picture of Ali. After I posted I couldn't get the picture to work I saw Freddie which is part of my signature & knew someone would say something about it LOL!!!!!

That's why Ali has A/C in his car since he dresses up that way everyday!!!!!

HA HA!! If you ever get it to upload please do so! They limit the size of the picture so it may have been over the size limit. Just so we can see who we might get...and make sure everyone isn't either a Tex or an Ali. Who would know? :eek: hee hee

HA HA!! If you ever get it to upload please do so! They limit the size of the picture so it may have been over the size limit. Just so we can see who we might get...and make sure everyone isn't either a Tex or an Ali. Who would know? :eek: hee hee

What is sad is that I am a professional photographer & can't figure out how people on these boards get the large pictures on the boards!!!!!

My e-mail is beachfloyd@aol.com if you'd like to e-mail me I'll be happy to e-mail you the picture, I can do them like that all day long!!! Just put Ali in the subject box.

I think if you go to the 'advanced' response page - look at bottom - manage attachments - I think you can browse your computer and attach pic. Other option is to upload pic to webshots or other internet photo place and attach pic and/or link! good luck.

Otherwise I think if Ali dresses like that he sure will be easy to spot :D:D

Has anyone had William? That is who we are scheduled to tour with and I haven't found any comments on him?

Also - we want a tour of the Island (don't really want to see the monkey's or the Iguana farm) what else should we see for those of you who have gone?

Thanks

Has anyone had William? That is who we are scheduled to tour with and I haven't found any comments on him?

Also - we want a tour of the Island (don't really want to see the monkey's or the Iguana farm) what else should we see for those of you who have gone?

Thanks

We had William last week - really nice guy, but his voice isn't very loud and from the 2nd back seat, it was sometimes hard to hear him. He took 4 of us everywhere we wanted to go. I wasn't that interested in seeing the monkeys, but our husbands wanted to. I'm so glad we went! I LOVED the monkeys - they are adorable! He gave us a tour east of the port, saw a shipwreck and then to a few overlooks for pictures, then drove us through the West End, then we all went to Bananarama in West Bay for lunch and the beach (no charge). Have a Monkey La La - great frozen drink!!!