Buying pashmina shawls on ebay...

Hi,

Just new to these boards. We're planning on going on a transatlantic cruise next year and I thought I should get a nice pashmina shawl for cool nights. I could use it for formal and informal nights. I love my cashmere sweater but it's a little too casual.

I saw a gorgeous black one in my local "upscale" store but it was $168 (75 cashmere/25%silk) and I just don't know if that's a good price or not.

Checked ebay because I've seen it mentioned on this board that you can get nice formal wear at a reasonable price. The pashmina shawls listed on ebay's site are so inexpensive (starting bids of 0.99 and up) I had to check here and see if anyone has ever bought one of them.

Are they true pashmina or faux pashmina? Some are labled viscose which is obviously fake but some are labled 100% pashmina instead of saying 100% cashmere and I don't know if that's just a "marketing" term.

I've never bid on anything on ebay before and am very nervous about the experience!

Thanks for your help!:)

I've bought three pashminas from zenjen on eBay - I wear them as scarves in the wintertime. I think they were $40 or so each for the shawl size, and they are the cashmere and silk blend. She has a wonderful selection of colors and is great at communicating and shipping.

If you do a member search on zenjen and look at her feedback, there's a link to her current auctions.

I love ebay, and recently I started to bid on one of those shawls that start at .99; fortunately, however, I looked at the shipping cost before I did. The shipping was ridiculous! It's been weeks since I looked, but I'm thinking it was twenty or thirty dollars. The company was in India, so a high price would have been somewhat expected.

Here's a company that I'm considering -- their stuff looks very nice:

http://www.shawlsetc.com/

It's not unusual for a product to have a very low opening bid. You'll find $300 digital cameras with an opening bid of $.99. Watch the bidding activity, though, especially just before the auction closes, and the price goes up, up, up.

A small opening bid is merely to get yourattention. Many people, me included, will sort items by lowest price first, and lo and behold, there is that tiny opening bid.

Look for the seller's feedback, that will help you decide if this vendor provides good service and good product at a reasonable cost.

Sellers who make a profit on S & H are my pet peeve. I will not buy from a vendor again if they charge $5 to ship something small and I get an envelope with $.39 postage on it. On the other hand, if the item is wrapped securely, or shipped priority mail, or if the item is being shipped internationally, then I allow extra $$ and time.

T

What color shawls do you need? I have beige, chocolate brown and black, brand new, still in the original bags, 100% Pashmina, purchased from Ebay, from a seller in Kashmir, with original tags and labels attached. I bought them on a whim. Cost $40.00 New + shipping.

When I got them, I realized shawls are not for me. The only one I have ever worn is the red one and I wrapped it around my waist with pair of black pants. Didn't like the look and it is tucked in my cedar closet now. I hate reselling stuff on Ebay. I only like buying it!!!!

Thanks for the help! I forgot to check the closing time on the one that caught me eye and missed it. Oh well... It was lovely looking though. Creamy pink and embroidered and had some bead work on it. But maybe it was for the best as I think I saw the shipping was $22. (which is probably around $50 CAN :eek: )

I'll be in the market for a basic black one at the end of the month though... can't get them off my mind! :)

M

Hi

I just won one on Ebay 2 days ago for my cruise. The cost of it came to $3.26 and shipping was $8.96. $12.22 total for black pashmina (imitation, but I don't care) and it included freshwater pearl earrings and necklace as a bonus. I haven't gotten it as yet. The seller had good feedback.

While I have a lovely gold "real" one, I did purchase a two from eBay at a fairly low price, and they were not real. You can see a definate difference. But, if it's for evening wear, and you don't seem to mind, then eBay is the way to go. I love my gold one, though, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to purchase it at a boutique in Vermont. ;)

While we're on this subject, do you gals feel that these shawls are "past their time..." I have had people tell me "they're out of style." Ugh. :mad: That is what's wrong with this world. People are forced to feel like they are not in style if they wear a pleated skirt or what not.

Not me! If I like it, I wear it! I'm 47 and I have clothes from my college days! And they are the styles that are in right now!!! ;)

Happy sailing everyone!

I think I paid like $140 for my real pashmina (in London) like 4 years ago. I got a faux one on our last cruise for $10. The faux one is fine for a summer shoulder cover but it doesn't do much in the winter when I really need a warm scarf. My real one is a true warmer when I need it.

- Yvette

To MrsPete:

Thanks for the reference to shawletc.com. I just ordered 2 faux pashminas (I only get to play 'dress-up' on cruises, so won't spring for a real one) off their website. The prices were reasonable but the best part was the color selection...I ordered a basic black on sale for $15.00, and a 'grape' for $21.00.

I have a black formal, and a new formal that can only be described as 'plum' in color..and I had almost given up hope of finding a shawl or wrap to match it.

Thanks again..they're being shipped from U.S. to eastern Canada, so I don't know how long I'll have to wait. I'll post again when I receive my order.

Can't wait 'till October 7th.....cruisin' on the Serenade from Hawaii to Ensenada.

Cindy

I've got a black one and a light pink one both of which I bought on ships for something like $10. Love them both. I know neither are real, but that's O.K. I pretty much only wear them crusing. Royal Caribben has a shop on their ships that carry a wide array of colors.

JanetMarie - Who said they are out of style? I'm going to keep wearing mine until they invent something better to wear on your shoulders when you're "dressed".

I was at the Nordstrom Rack yesterday and they had a good deal. Buy a pashmina in any color and get one for free in black. They had lots of beautiful colors and I can't remember how much they were. I didn't get any. I am going back next week (I hope they still have them) I have a black one but can give it to someone who doesn't. Judy

CruiseCrazyCanuck --

Glad to help out! I saw some nice shawls on clearance today at JC Penny's: plain black, black with beading, sheer white, cream with beading, and pink with beading. They were in the $11-15 range, and I regret not buying at least one. Think I'll go back tomorrow.

I saw a piece on Good Morning America and they said Pashminas are out and ponchos are "In".....not huge oversized things like they used to show but closer to the body, shorter length ones. Some of the were very pricey but a nice look IMO

All Celebrity gift shops carry the faux pashimina shawls for $10.00. I thought the quaility was just fine and certainly serves the purpose. There were alot of nice colors to choose from. :)

Carnival too. I really like mine. I'm a plus size woman and it wraps me up good, keeps arms warm for chilly nights above deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update..got my 2 faux pashminas from shawlsetc.com yesterday....love them!

One is black and the other is 'grape'..what a gorgeous color! They seem to be good quality and felt very nice when I modeled them for DH and DS...neither of whom were impressed by yet another purchase for the cruise...LOL.

Thanks again to MrsPete for the tip about the website....I'm all set for formal dining now.(without the goosebumps!)

Aloha

Cindy

Archived