Crown Princess Prison Furniture "Upgrade"

web monkey

I've waited an entire year to sit out on my balcony stretched out on a lounge chair in a nice soft robe, reading a book or maybe taking a nap while the warm ocean breezes gently blow past.

I've waited for this through last winter, the following spring, summer and fall and part of this winter, until finally it was time.

Sadly, where last year I had a nice friendly, comfy, adjustable lounge chair, now I have prison furniture. My balcony contains (3) pieces of welded steel furniture made out of diamond-patterned mesh. There is one small hard round welded metal table and 2 small welded metal chairs with straight backs.

I talked to the steward. I talked to the purser's desk. Everybody says "Too bad. The captain says no lounge chairs on the balconies on my floor".

Carnival has lounge chairs. Royal Caribbean has lounge chairs. Princess did too, on my previous two cruises with them. Every cruise I've been on has had comfortable furniture. Except the Crown Princess on the Baja deck.

The worst part is that I had a room with nice furniture and a bigger balcony, but was given a "free upgrade" to a small balcony with unusable furniture. This sucks big-time.

I'm in room B318 on the Crown Princess. Today. Right now. At this very moment. I'm looking out window at the welded metal furniture and trying to decide what to do for my next vacation. A week in Bonaire is sounding pretty good. I hear they have padded furniture there.

If Princess would like to make this right and have someone bring me a chair where I can lean back, relax, read or snooze, they'll keep a happy customer. If not, me and the friends I bring along every year will take our wives and do something else. I'm not trying to be mean, but given the limited amount of vacation I get every year, I want to be happy all the time, not just when I'm off the ship.

What do you say Princess? How about if you email the ship, ask someone to bring me a comfy chair and make my vacation a happy one?

I'll post a response tomorrow let you all know what happens.

Terry

I've waited an entire year to sit out on my balcony stretched out on a lounge chair in a nice soft robe, reading a book or maybe taking a nap while the warm ocean breezes gently blow past.

I've waited for this through last winter, the following spring, summer and fall and part of this winter, until finally it was time.

Sadly, where last year I had a nice friendly, comfy, adjustable lounge chair, now I have prison furniture. My balcony contains (3) pieces of welded steel furniture made out of diamond-patterned mesh. There is one small hard round welded metal table and 2 small welded metal chairs with straight backs.

I talked to the steward. I talked to the purser's desk. Everybody says "Too bad. The captain says no lounge chairs on the balconies on my floor".

Carnival has lounge chairs. Royal Caribbean has lounge chairs. Princess did too, on my previous two cruises with them. Every cruise I've been on has had comfortable furniture. Except the Crown Princess on the Baja deck.

The worst part is that I had a room with nice furniture and a bigger balcony, but was given a "free upgrade" to a small balcony with unusable furniture. This sucks big-time.

I'm in room B318 on the Crown Princess. Today. Right now. At this very moment. I'm looking out window at the welded metal furniture and trying to decide what to do for my next vacation. A week in Bonaire is sounding pretty good. I hear they have padded furniture there.

If Princess would like to make this right and have someone bring me a chair where I can lean back, relax, read or snooze, they'll keep a happy customer. If not, me and the friends I bring along every year will take our wives and do something else. I'm not trying to be mean, but given the limited amount of vacation I get every year, I want to be happy all the time, not just when I'm off the ship.

What do you say Princess? How about if you email the ship, ask someone to bring me a comfy chair and make my vacation a happy one?

Terry

Unless you were in a suite Princess had white plastic furniture on the balconies on their ships. Are you talking about that plastic chair that would lean back a bit? I wouldn't exactly say that the new furniture that is out there is prison furniture and actually I think is a huge improvement over the plastic crap that was out there before.

The change is due to the fire on the Star as what was out there was highly combustible.

Why did you have a nice room with a big balcony and better furniture and not have it now? What category were you supposed to be in? That same furniture is on every balcony with the exception of the full suites. Your cabin is a Cat BD which means all the other balcony cabins in the categories below are also on the Baja deck, the exact same size and the exact same furniture. Unless you were "downgraded", any upgrade that you got was from the same type cabin on the same deck so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Does this mean that since the fire on the balcony of the Star (wasnt it the Star?) happened they have changed the furniture on all ships? I would love to see recent pics of the caribe deck balcony if anyone has some.

Yes it was the Star and yes all the plastic furniture is gone. The furniture out there looked nice to me and so far all the posts have said it's a great improvement. The furniture on the balconies in the suites are the same.

If you do a search you can find pictures of them as there were plenty of pictures on threads this summer.

Maybe the OP had booked a room on Caribe deck which has the larger

balconies {category BA and BB} and maybe he did not

mark the reservation as "no upgrades" and was inadvertently downgraded

to a BB cabin on Aloha deck {small balcony which is half the size of the Caribe} or if he booked a BA category on the Caribe level, maybe

they moved him up to Lido deck (still a BA) but with the tinier balcony?:eek:

Why doesn't the OP just grab his own lounger chair from a pool deck somewhere and bring it back to his cabin, provided that his balcony

CAN handle a chair of that size

Maybe the OP had booked a room on Caribe deck which has the larger

balconies {category BA and BB} and maybe he did not

mark the reservation as "no upgrades" and was inadvertently downgraded

to a BB cabin on Aloha deck {small balcony which is half the size of the Caribe} or if he booked a BA category on the Caribe level, maybe

they moved him up to Lido deck (still a BA) but with the tinier balcony?:eek:

Why doesn't the OP just grab his own lounger chair from a pool deck somewhere and bring it back to his cabin, provided that his balcony

CAN handle a chair of that size

I have the book out as I was working on our March cruise and it says that cabin is a BD so if he was supposed to have been in a BA or BB they really did downgrade the cabin and not upgrade the cabin as the OP stated. If that happened then I hope that Princess would do more than bring a lounger to the balcony!

There was no room on our friend's balcony on the Baja deck to have placed a lounge chair. I was actually quite surprised at how small the balcony was as I had only been in the Caribe and dolphin deck balconies. Can you imagine if everyone grabbed their own chair though, between that and the chair hogs there would be no where to sit!

If metal is "prison furniture" what on earth is plastic? :)

I understand why you might like a lounge chair, but I've never really felt that the plastic chairs provided for the balcony cabins really were much of a lounger. They're too short.

And I can't think of a cabin on the ship that would have had a bigger balcony and nicer furniture in been of a lower category than B318.

You can thank the Star fire for the new furniture on Princess ships and you can bet that other cruiselines are following suit with nonflammable balcony furniture. That said, the old plastic furniture was an accident waiting to happen.

I'm in a mini-suite on the Golden next month -- will let you know what the furniture is like since I plan to spend as much time as possible on my balcony.

We found the new furniture on the Crown much more comfortable than the old plastic furniture.Instead of lounge chairs we had 2 adjustable Highback chairs and a table with 2 regular chairs.This was on a corner aft BB on the Baja deck.

I doubt a lounge chair would fit on a regular Baja balcony...

Terry

Window to a balcony???

Posting from your Baja Cabin?? Not possible. :confused:

Once again if you had done your homework on this board you would have found that the balcony furniture had been replaced months ago and would even have seen a picture or two of the new metal digs.

...........If Princess would like to make this right and have someone bring me a chair where I can lean back, relax, read or snooze, they'll keep a happy customer. If not, me and the friends I bring along every year will take our wives and do something else. I'm not trying to be mean, but given the limited amount of vacation I get every year, I want to be happy all the time, not just when I'm off the ship.

What do you say Princess? How about if you email the ship, ask someone to bring me a comfy chair and make my vacation a happy one? I'll post a response tomorrow let you all know what happens. Terry

Gee... what would the threat be if his bed was uncomfortable, or the shower curtain clung to him in the shower. :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sadly, where last year I had a nice friendly, comfy, adjustable lounge chair, now I have prison furniture.

When they weld the furniture to the floor, and put in a stainless steel

sink, toilet and mirror, that's where I draw the line.

Even now, I'm worried that Mrs. Pablo will shive me with her

toothbrush handle.

I found the furniture on the Crown to have been quite comfortable on our balcony. Much more comfortable than hard plastic furniture. This had cloth that stretched to my shape rather than my conforming to hard plastic. Don't knock it till you try it.

Don't blame the OP for being somewhat disappointed in his balcony furnishings. We were on Emerald Deck for our first cruise, the balcony had 2 lounge chairs, and 2 chairs that reclined. No, we were not in a suite, just a balcony stateroom.

The next cruise our TA told us she could get us a better stateroom on Baja. We had no idea the balconies were so small......we won't make the mistake of letting someone else talk us into a "better" room again.

The plastic chairs on the balcony were torture, definitely could not get comfortable while reading or relaxing.

This cruise, we'll be on Caribe and hoping for better chairs.

Like the OP, its my vacation and I can request better chairs, they can turn me down, and I am still entitled to be very disappointed.

Nothing wrong with the OP being disappointed, and even choosing a different vacation in the future, I probably wouldn't, but that is me. The poor guy was just venting.....so much sarcasm on this board.....lighten up......

And I had no idea that the furniture had been changed.....I don't do a search of what furniture may have been changed from one cruise to the next. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

Hope the rest of his vacation is better.

We had the new furniture on Grand Princess, metal frames with mesh backing, and it was far superior to the old plastic stuff. I think it's an improvement, that plastic furniture just screamed, "Wal-Mart."

The worst part is that I had a room with nice furniture and a bigger balcony, but was given a "free upgrade" to a small balcony with unusable furniture.
What was your original cabin that you were upgraded from? I'm sure many of the people here would love to know about those better cabins with bigger balconies that are in lower categories than BD.

Okay, so I know we are all looking forward to rest and relaxation on the holidays, and so far I have seen some solutions that the original poster could use.

• Put a towel on your chair
  • Take your chair from inside your stateroom and put it on the balcony
  • Go and lie down on a lounge chair and mingle
  • Go and lie down and ignore all the other passengers by finding a small cozy spot to put your chair

I do work in a jail - and as someone has already said - if the chairs are welded to the floor and you have a steel sink and toilet as well as a guard watching your everymove then definitely Princess has gone too far.

Its a CHAIR! Relax:(

I think I'd prefer not having to wory about an errant cigarette starting another balcony fire than the slight annoyance of a metal balcony chair.

We had no complaints about the chairs. Just put a towel down on it.

I believe this complaint is a first for the Crown. What more can people find to complain about?

I too enjoy a lounge chair on my balcony, which is why I always book Caribe deck. The balconies are much bigger. There are two highback adjustable chairs and two regular chairs on those balconies. If you like, the highback chair reclines to a completely flat position. You move the regular chair to face your highback chair and use it for your feet. Voila, you make your own lounge chair.

Archived