What about jet lag?

molaurie

I need some advice about dealing with jet lag. I just booked a mediterrean cruise and will be flying from San Francisco to Athens to board the ship. The next day we will be at our first port, and I'm really excited about seeing this one. In fact, there are no sea days until about day three! So, if anyone has had any experience with this, I'd appreciate some advice. I want to be able to enjoy all these great ports. How does one deal with jet lag, and how bad will it be? Thanks!

When we fly to hawaii from MI its hard, but a few days before (if possible) i start trying to stay up or adjust to the time of my future destination. Also, i try really hard to sleep on the plane ride there and do not drink booze at all... just a lot of water and try to eat a good balanced meal and usually bring some protine bars with me to keep me going.

To be honest, i don't think you should worry that much about it because i think you will have your "excitement" keeping you going!

Have a great cruise! :)

Drink lots of liquids on the plane, even if you have to use the restroom alot. Eat all they bring you. Keep your system moving. Get up and move about the cabin. Then try to sleep as much as you can on the plane. I usually manage about 6 hours of sleep on the aircraft. Then once you arrive and get settled on the ship, if you feel tired, take a nap or just make it an early night. I sometimes woke up at 1:00am, but as LolaWiz says, the adrenaline will be flowing, so you may not have a problem with jet lag at all. Have a great trip!:p

I need some advice about dealing with jet lag. I just booked a mediterrean cruise and will be flying from San Francisco to Athens to board the ship. The next day we will be at our first port, and I'm really excited about seeing this one. In fact, there are no sea days until about day three! So, if anyone has had any experience with this, I'd appreciate some advice. I want to be able to enjoy all these great ports. How does one deal with jet lag, and how bad will it be? Thanks!

One poster stated that the way to go is to fly out from the US on a day flight. He flew from Chicago at something like 9am and arrived in Great Britain around 7 or 8 pm London time. I do not know whether this is an option for you (yes, I know you are going to Italy) but if it is feasible, you may want to consider it.

The best advice I would have given you is to arrive in Europe a day or two before your cruise. The reality is that you will likely have jet lag and it make the first day or two a big adjustment. The other benefit of flyiing in early is to ensure you do not miss the ship should your flight be delayed or cancelled.

If all of this is not possible a week or so before you leave start getting more used to the time zone that you will be on by going to sleep and waking up at a time that is closer to that time zone. And, on the plane try to sleep so you are adjust to the new time zone and drink plenty of water with no alcohol during your flight

Keith

Thanks for the tips! I think you are right about the adrenalin keeping me going! However, maybe to be on the safe side I might just fly into Athens a day or two early and rest in the hotel. But then again, I'd probably be too excited to sleep and want to explore Athens...although I was there 20 years ago with a student travel group and it was hot, crowded and dirty, as I recall...so sleep may not be such a bad choice. But the money I spend on a hotel just to sleep could better be spent on the cruise itself! Oh, well...it's 10 months away! Can't you tell I'm excited!

Do as previous posters have stated as far as adjusting your time a few hours, sleep on the plane, drink water, but when you get to your destination do not sleep during the day. It will be tough to resist the urge the first day, but if you cankeep from it you will have it made. If you do sleep, make sure it is only a very short nap.:)

One poster said to drink as many liquids as possible on the flight to Europe. I would like to ammend that stating you should start hydrating yourself with water a day or two before you fly and then continue drinking water onboard your flight.

Fluid intake does seem to help with jet lag for me. Don't know the science behind it, it just does. But starting early, rather than while in flight seemed to help the most.

Have a great flight and a great cruise.

Dianne

I don't know that this will work for everyone, but I find it helpful in avoiding jet lag to set my watch to the time of my destination prior to take-off. I have tried this twice and it did seem to work. I felt no ill effects after arrival at my destination.

Do as previous posters have stated as far as adjusting your time a few hours, sleep on the plane, drink water, but when you get to your destination do not sleep during the day. It will be tough to resist the urge the first day, but if you cankeep from it you will have it made. If you do sleep, make sure it is only a very short nap.:)

I use this method when I go to Istanbul and it works. By time you get up, go to the airport, do the connections, and get to there, it works out to be almost 24 hrs travel time. I also take something to make me sleep on the plane so I at least had some sleep when I land. Then I force myself to stay up until time to go to bed. By the second day I am doing fine and dont have jet lag. Coming home is harder for me for some reason.

I have to agree with the others. If I drink lots of water, no alcohol and stay awake until at least 8 pm on the first day, I'm over the jet lag the next morning. The first two things should be easy to do, but resisting the urge to take a nap (that then extends to 8+ hours) can be very hard. Luckily, for you, you'll have a cruise ship to explore and get a nice dinner served, so that should help keep you awake.

If it was me, I would fly at least a day early, though. Going home, I often miss connections changing planes in Frankfurt, and more often than not don't get my luggage until a day or two later. That's no problem going home to visit family, but not so good when you're going directly on a cruise ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Of course the ideal thing is to fly out at least one day early, but if that isn't possible, get as much sleep as you can on the plane, as has been said drink lots of fluids other than alcohol: one drink or glass of wine with dinner won't hurt but no more and Yes, stay awake til about 9pm. Our last trip to Europe we were cruising for another week so had time to rest. We did arrive in London about 8am, by the time we were settled into our hotel it was closer to 10am. We took showers, laid down for 2 hours and then got up and started the sight seeing. That night we didn't go to bed until 9:30pm. We had no problems with jet lag. NMnita

for us, jet lag always seems to be more of a problem when we are flying East as opposed to West. We had a 17-hour flight to Bangkok and it was dark the entire trip. This made sleeping on the plane much easier. I also had help from a sleep aid, which I had taken previously and knew how it would affect me.

The way we combat jet lag is to set our watches onto the local time when we arrive and just tell ourselves that's the time it is. We eat and sleep by that the first couple of days and don't seem to have the jet lag interfer with our plans. It's hard, but avoid starting sentences with, "Well back home, the time is..."

However, have to confess to horrific jet lag coming home - it took me nearly two weeks to readjust and I am a bit concerend about our trip to the British Isles this summer. I have read this thread with tremendous gusto and thank everyone for their suggestions. Linked with ours, I am hopeful. Molaurie - thanks for starting this thread!

Charlie

Archived