Pay early or not to pay early, that is the question

CruznMooses

My wife and I are booked on the Dawn Princess going to Alaska leaving on August 29th. Our final payment is due by June 15th.

What we are wondering is if we pay the balance early will it improve our chances of getting a cabin upgrade? We put a deposit down on our last cruise back in August 2005 for as of then an undecided future cruise. This will be our 3rd cruise with Princess.

If anybody has any feedback that might help us decide please let us know.

Thanks brent and Dee

My family and I are on the Dawn to Alaska in June, and we are not planning to pay our balance until it is required so that the money continues to earn interest in the bank. I will be interested to find out if others have noticed that paying early improves their chance at an upgrade - we might have to change our payment plan! :)

My wife and I are booked on the Dawn Princess going to Alaska leaving on August 29th. Our final payment is due by June 15th.

What we are wondering is if we pay the balance early will it improve our chances of getting a cabin upgrade? We put a deposit down on our last cruise back in August 2005 for as of then an undecided future cruise. This will be our 3rd cruise with Princess.

Thanks brent and Dee

There is another advantage to not paying in full until the due date. If there is a price drop, you can still get the lower fare before final payment. Once you pay in full, that's it. Wait and check the prices...it's always nice to save a few extra $$ to spend on yourselves while on the cruise.:)

Out TA only requires a $25 deposit to book any cruise. Final lump sum due on cruise lines normal last billing due date.

So if I only have to deposit $25 to book a cruise it makes no sense for me to pay early. It would be foolish of me to do so.

Further, we pick the specific cabin we want. Upgrades would be to lesser desired locations. So an upgrade moving us from our desired cabin would be a big disadvantage.

Thanks brent and Dee

Although no one really knows what triggers an upgrade and what doesn't, I have never heard of paying early being one of the factors affecting an upgrade. Princess tells me that booking early is a factor, but the biggest factor is whether or not you are a past passenger and how many trips you have accumulated. In addition, what category you have booked in can factor in. For example, if I book in a popular category that they can sell to someone else if they move me (a past passenger), that will trigger an upgrade or move. And, as TVAUD mentioned, it is not wise to pay before the final due date because of possible price reductions beforehand.

These rumors get started when someone decides to make their final payment earlier than necessary. They 'by chance' get an upgrade, and they attribute that to paying off their cruise early. I would venture to guess, that upgrade would have happened if they had paid earlly, late or somewhere inbetween. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

I would tend to agree with the others that payment doesn't influence upgrades. You definitely want to take advantage of any price drops between now and final payment due. We decided to put our payment funds into a CD which matured several weeks before final payment date. We earned enough interest for quite a few extra drinks on board! During that time, we also had a price break that was $250 per person. With four in our group, that was definitely a huge savings.:D

You have to keep checking on the price and contact your TA asking for the lower rate.

We are frequent cruisers, but have never been offered an upgrade. The other day, I asked our long-time TA if she had any idea of the reason for this. Her response: "I know that you and Mr. Tiki carefully choose the location of your cabin and are very particular about location on ship, etc. So, when I am offered an upgrade for you, I interpret it as an indicator of reduced pricing for your category and check to see if I can get you a price adjustment instead."

We have gotten price adjustments before final payment several times. She knows us well ~ what great service! I'm happy to know that the "Upgrade Fairy" has not been neglecting us!

You are having dreams if you think Princess is going to give you an upgrade. We have NEVER been offered an upgrade, even tho we have specified a particular stateroom for a sailing. We have not stated we would not accept an upgrade. I think if you pay early, are regular passengers, or show similar commitment or whatever, they skip you and go for those they think they can convert to "Princess" loyals.

With the changes in Captain's Circle midstream, I think they are going to lose alot of passengers. We've already cancelled two trips (not just because of that but because of the condition of the ships) and are rebooked on another ship out of Princess and the Carnival Corporation. We are not TA's so of course we fall at the bottom of an "upgrade to sell others" list. We are just dedicated travelers. Be prepared--you are of no interest to Princess to "sell."

There is another advantage to not paying in full until the due date. If there is a price drop, you can still get the lower fare before final payment. Once you pay in full, that's it. Wait and check the prices...it's always nice to save a few extra $$ to spend on yourselves while on the cruise.:)

I just want to correct this...we booked our 12/5/06 Hawaii cruise in 7/05 and paid it in full in 9/05. The cabin we were in dropped in price in July 06 and we were credited back the difference. As long as the price drops before final payment date, you reap the rewards. I hope that helps, Deanna

Archived