Port Everglades- Hotels to stay Pre/Post cruise?? Need help!!

teachergal29

I have absolutely no idea of where to stay pre+post cruise near Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale for our upcoming Nov. Westerdam cruise. So many options without knowing good ones from bad. Anyone have a special place on the beach that you feel is nice (not Motel 6 quality), but not terribly expensive??(less than $200 a night). We will be cruising with two other couples. I tried to find suggestions on the Ports of Call page, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I felt CC would be the place to get the answers. So much info here.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
I have absolutely no idea of where to stay pre+post cruise near Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale for our upcoming Nov. Westerdam cruise. So many options without knowing good ones from bad. Anyone have a special place on the beach that you feel is nice (not Motel 6 quality), but not terribly expensive??(less than $200 a night). We will be cruising with two other couples. I tried to find suggestions on the Ports of Call page, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I felt CC would be the place to get the answers. So much info here.

Thanks in advance.

All you need to know: EMBASSY SUITES !

The Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is very nice, but a bit pricey. Doubletree Suites is also very nice, not sure what the prices are, but very nice.

The Pelican is very nice as well, but right up there in price.

You can try http://www.valuetrips.com and get the Amerisuites downtown Ft. Lauderdale for a good price. This hotel is about a 2* hotel, but if you don't mind for one night, its in a good location.

Hi teachergal29! We did some research for our precruise 2 nighter in FLL. Our main criteria was to be on or with ocean view, in a higher end (not motel style) accomm. but had similar thought around pricing as you mentioned...$200/night range for sure. We ended up choosing and booking the Sheraton Yankee Trader (over the Sheraton Yankee Clipper). Used our BCAA (AAA equivalent) and rec'd 10% off (I believe). We liked the price of the Trader over Clipper. Trader is across the street from Beach however has a "walk way" over top of the road. We also chose "ocean view" rooms. This hotel is also on the Water Taxi route, which was another big plus. Take a look and see if it meets your needs, enjoy the total excitement of planning your wonderful cruise!

On January 23rd we stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for one night.

Our hotel was arranged for as we had a goup that used the HAL package.

Looking over the reviews on this hotel I thought that it may be a little dumpy...in reality - it wasn't, it is a 40 year old hotel, has had some upgrades and we found it clean, great staff, eating places in the hotel and close by.

For one or two nights I would recommend this hotel and it is only about 10 minutes away from Port Everglades

Thank you ALL for the great info. I went to the site of East Coast Departures and got a lot of input on FLL hotels plus what others have recommended here. I thank you for the valuable information about where to stay. We were thinking of staying two nights before cruise and one night after. Since we live near the west coast, most of the flights get us into FLL on a redeye,early am, or late at night around midnight. So we are considering all of this in our choice of hotels to stay in. We would also like to stay on the beach since we are going to have a full day to enjoy FLL before cruise.

Haven't seen the person "bequia" you spoke of as the "expert" on FLL yet.

But again, thank you all.:)

Pam

tried staying other places...but Pier 66 is a sure bet...and you can (sometimes) obtain a reasonable rate. If you are an American Express customer, you can use your points to pay for the room. (that's what we're doing for our April cruise).

Have a great cruise.

We have always stayed at the Marina Marriott (now known as the Grande). You can ask for a veiw of Port Everglades and watch the ships come and go (if you are there more than one night where you can see "the ships come and go.") Also there is the Rennaisance, which is almost next door. You can walk to the 17th Street Bridge and see the port. Really neat. We have stayed there for over 20 years--enjoy. Pier 66 is fantastic also. If you don't stay there, go to the lounge at the top and enjoy the beautiful sights of FLL.

Go to biddingfortravel.com and you can get a real good idea of what folks are doing via priceline we are staying at the FLL airport sheraton for 115 next weekend We have always gotten excellent pricing that way including hotels along 17th street

regards

. We have stayed there for over 20 years--enjoy. Pier 66 is fantastic also. If you don't stay there, go to the lounge at the top and enjoy the beautiful sights of FLL.

They no longer have the revolving lounge at the top of Pier 66. It is now a room used for private functions..... sad!!!

They no longer have the revolving lounge at the top of Pier 66. It is now a room used for private functions..... sad!!!

how disappointing! ): we enjoyed our evenings there. are you able to still access the area and watch the ships leave port? and do they have entertainment in any other lounge? It was always so special there. nice music. great views. just an overall nice way to kick off the cruise.

Sorry to say that I think the answer to all your questions is No, No and No. The views from the roof top were beautiful and it was the best place to watch a sailaway. We always have a room facing Port Everglades so at least we get to see the ships from the balcony though it has been a while since we have been there.

The area is closed to all guests unless you are a part of a private party. Truly sad. The lower lanai rooms are great - all redone. Flat panel tv's and all. Very nicely done. I understand that the tower rooms are semi-redone and they have had photos in the lobby of a lobby and lobby restaurant redo for over a year. I think there is a funding issue. We enjoy going to the expensive but nice Grill restaurant on the waterway with indoor and outdoor dining. The outdoor is very quaint and romantic.

how disappointing! ): we enjoyed our evenings there. are you able to still access the area and watch the ships leave port? and do they have entertainment in any other lounge? It was always so special there. nice music. great views. just an overall nice way to kick off the cruise.

The area is closed to all guests unless you are a part of a private party. Truly sad. The lower lanai rooms are great - all redone. Flat panel tv's and all. Very nicely done. I understand that the tower rooms are semi-redone and they have had photos in the lobby of a lobby and lobby restaurant redo for over a year. I think there is a funding issue. We enjoy going to the expensive but nice Grill restaurant on the waterway with indoor and outdoor dining. The outdoor is very quaint and romantic.

I'm happy to hear all the Tower rooms will be redone. They were nice but could use some freshening. I hope there is a furniture change. I was never crazy about the large unit that holds the tv, mini bar, and has the drawers.

We love Grill 66. Excellent meal in a very nice setting. Not inexpensive but we think worth the price. Very nice menu, well prepared and (usually) served very nicely.

Well, I am going to try this again. I waited to find out what happened to my last post (an hour ago) only to find it disappeared?? I apologize if this ends up a double post.

Anyway, I appreciate all the ideas of everyone on the hotels in FLL. I'm starting to think that what I am looking for really doesn't exist. I was looking for a "nice" hotel ON THE BEACH near the pier so that we can enjoy the hotel facilities the full day before the cruise( we are coming in at midnight Fri night for a Sun cruise). The going rate seems to be between the high 2 and 300's.

Spindrift- Wasn't sure which hotel you were referring to as "The Grande", The Pelican Grande, Marriott Beach Place or the Marriott Harbor??

Cruisejunkie- Have a wonderful time on the Westerdam. We are just so excited about our cruise on her in Nov.'07.

Here's hoping that this goes through this time!!

Well, you must be referring to the Marriott Harbour because they sold out to the Blackstone Corp who now has it booked as Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel , for which I receive promotions all the time.

And, I must say that I was at Pier 66 a couple of years ago (last couple of years we have sailed out of West Coast piers as well as foreign ports, and we enjoyed the lounge at the top of Pier 66. Guess it was recently. Also are the Executive Suites. Take the "water taxi" and go to the beach and then you can stay where you would like.

Changes, changes--amazing.

Hi teachergal29! We did some research for our precruise 2 nighter in FLL. Our main criteria was to be on or with ocean view, in a higher end (not motel style) accomm. but had similar thought around pricing as you mentioned...$200/night range for sure. We ended up choosing and booking the Sheraton Yankee Trader (over the Sheraton Yankee Clipper). Used our BCAA (AAA equivalent) and rec'd 10% off (I believe). We liked the price of the Trader over Clipper. Trader is across the street from Beach however has a "walk way" over top of the road. We also chose "ocean view" rooms. This hotel is also on the Water Taxi route, which was another big plus. Take a look and see if it meets your needs, enjoy the total excitement of planning your wonderful cruise!

WE stayed there for two nights in December. We are pretty loyal to the Starwood Hotel programs, but, this hotel has not been refurbished in a very long time. It was more than tired, and our carpet in the room was stained and dirty. I do not recommend this property.

Archived