Has anyone brought two buck chuck to the dining room on board?

flagger

It's wine by a winery called Charles Shaw sold at Trader Joes stores. It costs $2.00 a bottle in California ($3 here in Nevada) hence the name Two Buck Chuck.

Actually it is a pretty good wine, have had worse for more money. We like the Merlot.

tuliplvr,

There are a few Trader Joe's in Boston that sell the Two Buck Chuck wine (despite the no wine in grocery stores law). I have a coworker who lives in Boston (want to say the South End, but can't remember) and they get it all the time. Not sure where you live but some do actually carry it (the currently law is that they can only sell it in 3 stores in the state- I have a convenience store near me that sells beer and wine too...that's why I couldn't understand the hype around the addendum).

You are misunderstanding the cork fee, it is a charge that allows you to bring in something externally, it covers restaurants for liability issues etc. Cruise ships just apply the same concept.

It is not the charge to "remove the cork"

Pennsylvania is one of the most oppressive states for the selling and buying of alcoholic beverages. If you don't live here, you wouldn't believe the explanation.

Bottom line: Absolutely no two buck chuck in our Trader Joe's. But it's my favorite store anyway!

:)

Love Trader Joes. Just like visiting the commune! :p Actually, they have some great finds there.

As far as two buck chuck. It is like getting a $5 bottle of wine for $3. IE you are getting a cheap wine, that tastes like a cheap wine. If you consume cheap wine it is a bargain.

On our recent trip to the Canary Islands we consumed the heck out of a Spanish Cava by Rhondel. Rhondel is the non export line of Cordiniu a famous Spanish Sparkling wine from Monserrat in the traditional French Champagne style. We were buying it for 1.60 euro ie well less than $2.50 a bottle and it tasted as good as most French Champagnes costing 20 times as much. I mean it rocked. We were buying it by the case. I am amazed that they can afford to buy the cork and the bottle with label.

I remember in Chile last year at the grocery store they didn't have any high end wines, but nothing in a huge selection cost more than $10 and many were very very good. In America with our taxes on wine, we have no concept of how cheap decent wine can be.

jc

DH gets $2 chuck (although it is $3 here in MA) by the case every now and then- he also seems to prefer their merlot to the other varieties.

Interesting though, the story DH told me about the price of the wine was that the owner was going through a divorce, and as part of the settlement, the judge awarded the profits of his wine business to her for X years. In court as this was announced, she was apparently quite gleeful thinking about all $$$ she'd be getting, and that's when Chuck decided to start drawing a comparable salary for his industry (something which he hadn't done before then) and then dropped the price on the wine so that the business was almost break even.

Happy sailings....Wendy

When we bother to pack and bring wine on board - we usually want something special from our cellar. – Definably not $2 wine. After all – it is a vacation. We were able to get two buck chuck – well actually four buck chuck in our wine stores ( east coast) several years ago. I haven’t seen it for years.

We brought wine in our checked luggage several week ago on the Radiance with no problem.

Cheers

Marci

You are misunderstanding the cork fee, it is a charge that allows you to bring in something externally, it covers restaurants for liability issues etc. Cruise ships just apply the same concept.

It is not the charge to "remove the cork"

Regardless of what the charge is for, I still say paying 15-25 dollars over the price of Two Buck Chuck, defeats the purpose. :p

ooOOooooo..I had no idea that there was wine in Trader Joe's.. now I'll have to look harder the next time I am in there...

How much is the corkage fee? That would be sad if the fee was more expensive than the wine.. lol..

Two buck chuck is $3.00 here by the case. At least 2 or 3 bottles are bad out of the case so 3 buck chuck goes to almost 4 buck chuck. Add the 40 mile trip to Trader Joes into the equation and 4 buck chuck goes to 6 buck chuck. Stopped buying the 6 buck chuck cause 6 buck chuck is so much more expensive than the original 2 buck chuck - started buying the 7 copec corbet.

Ugh, we just got Trader Joe's here last summer. It is Three Buck Chuck here. I can't stand Trader Joe's! It is such a fad and everyone goes there just to say "I shop at Trader Joe's"

I stear clear of that place. :D

Have you tried shopping there? I don't think it will be a fad. They sell terrific International foods at great prices. You can get curry & Thai sauces for $2-$3 that would cost you $6 elsewhere (if you can find them!). I like the variety of wine, I get fed up with paying $15-$20 for wishy washy insipid wine elsewhere.

The last time I visited (we don't have one here locally) I bought beautiful fresh produce too, strawberries and vegetables at half the price I pay in Giant, Shoppers, food Lion etc and they were much better quality.

Being non-American living out in the back of beyond, I personally find Trader Joes is like an Oasis in the Desert!

ooOOooooo..I had no idea that there was wine in Trader Joe's.. now I'll have to look harder the next time I am in there...

How much is the corkage fee? That would be sad if the fee was more expensive than the wine.. lol..

In my experience, the beauty of their NO BRINGING ALCOHOL on board policy, without an exemption for wine, is that they no longer charge a corkage fee! If you have it, it must be legitimate, so no one said BOO to me about any corkage fee earlier this month!

As for Trader Joe's, I like it A LOT.

I do NOT live in the middle of nowhere, and have plenty of other options, but still like many things at Trader Joe's.

E.G., Jarlsberg Lite, at roughly half the price of the supermarket, TJ brand horseradish hummus, TJ brand low carb bread, bananas for 19 cents a piece, bags of salad for $1.99, frozen fruit and vegetables for 3/4 the price and twice the quality of supermarket brands, nuts for 3/4 the price elsewhere, stone wheat crackers for less, chicken sausage and turkey sausage for less for better quality............. I could go on and on. It's NOT a fad!

As for Trader Joe's, I like it A LOT.

I do NOT live in the middle of nowhere, and have plenty of other options, but still like many things at Trader Joe's.

E.G., Jarlsberg Lite, at roughly half the price of the supermarket, TJ brand horseradish hummus, TJ brand low carb bread, bananas for 19 cents a piece, bags of salad for $1.99, frozen fruit and vegetables for 3/4 the price and twice the quality of supermarket brands, nuts for 3/4 the price elsewhere, stone wheat crackers for less, chicken sausage and turkey sausage for less for better quality............. I could go on and on. It's NOT a fad!

I see the TJ's cheerleaders are out in force - count me in!

Rob, TJ's is hot when they first open up in a market because they have terrific stuff for very good prices and lots of items that the regular markets don't carry. I used to send my stepmother big gift boxes for Christmas and then they went & opened up in my hometown in CT! It was a complete zoo for a couple of months & then the frenzy died down. But the values are real - most of the produce is much more reasonably priced than in the supermarkets - I can get a pint of blueberries in the middle of winter for $3.99, which is what the regular market charges for 1/2 a pint. And they have quirky, fun stuff - even after 20+ years of shopping there, I can still find something new to try!

My record is going in with 5 things on my list and walking out $110 poorer.:eek:

Archived