Where did customer service go?

harleycruises

Yes, they could be mostly bad or good, but not entirely bad or good.

I'll never believe something-anything didn't go right or wrong.

So, I always doubt a review if it's all good or bad. You should too.

Most "all" negative reviews come from first time wonders, and usually basically describe the cruise as awful, without an explanation of why.

These basic descriptions usually contain exaggerations, which many of us know to be false. For example, a one time wonder complained earlier this week that the Captain failed to keep passengers updated and informed. I had sailed the same ship within the last month, and I know that Captain uses the PA each day at noon, giving the information, including weather forecasts, that that OP complained was never given.

What would you do, if you knew the Captain always did what that OP complained wasn't done? (1)Remain silent, or (2) argue with the OP?

And that's what many of us "so called" NCL loyalists are faced with everyday. Reading someone else posting a deliberate falsehood, or a lie, to prove a point.

I asked that OP if that Captain used the PA around noon each day. But like most one time wonders, I was never answered. They knew they were caught speaking with a forked tongue. To answer me with the truth would have put the rest of their "bad" review in question.

But, instead, we get more posts like yours questioning the truthfulness of the loyalists. Believe who you wish to believe.

I would remain silent, unless I was on the ship the same day

It defeats the purpose of a message board if the only people who can comment on something are those that are actually there.
Thank you Cecilia! :)
You're welcome. :)

The idea of eliminating the post count is not a bad one. It has been used on one of my favorite aviation sites to try to reign in people who have nothing else to do but post incessantly to bring up their count, often contributing nothing worthwhile at all.

Yeah, but I heard we win a special prize if we hit 5,000 posts.:D :D

I was simply making note of the irony of you being called an NCL loyalist

Loyalist I am to their ships and crews. Cheerleader I am not......believe me you don't want to see me in a skirt and sweater...........:p

NewmexicoNita,

Sorry, off topic here, but I see where you were also on Commodore! We have some of the most endearing memories of cruising from our Commodore cruise! Whew, that ship was falling apart, but it was a blast!

Shay

I just hate to show my age by saying "I remember when" but to us, the days of the real cruise fun was the days of Commodore. We loved the crew doing most of the entertainment, the service was wonderful: remember things like the port talks where they gave away zillions of prizes and the horse races? I guess I could go on and on. Sure the ships were old and the cabins almost a joke, but we still remember how much fun we had. I don't know which ship you were on: we sailed them twice, both times on the Carible. Of course the pool was the funniest. Just a big hole filled with real salt water. NMNita

NewmexicoNita,

Sorry, off topic here, but I see where you were also on Commodore! We have some of the most endearing memories of cruising from our Commodore cruise! Whew, that ship was falling apart, but it was a blast!

Shay

I just hate to show my age by saying "I remember when" but to us, the days of the real cruise fun was the days of Commodore. We loved the crew doing most of the entertainment, the service was wonderful: remember things like the port talks where they gave away zillions of prizes and the horse races? I guess I could go on and on. Sure the ships were old and the cabins almost a joke, but we still remember how much fun we had. I don't know which ship you were on: we sailed them twice, both times on the Carible. Of course the pool was the funniest. Just a big hole filled with real salt water. NMNita

If we all remained silent if we were actually there: these boards certainly wouldn't be very long or interesting. I think by experience we can or many of us can tell, what is real and what is someone's imagination running away or down right untruths, better known as lies!!! NMNita

I don't even remember the name of the ship, but she was an old battleax. Everymorning when we got up to go walking (of course there was no track), we saw where they had welded overnight and were painting to cover up the smoke! One day they were welding outside and something caught on fire and the worker tried to put it out by smacking the flames and launched a life boat (the canister type) out into the ocean! He got in trouble :( and we had to go back and get the life boat.

Our friends received, in the middle of the night, a phone call from the captain telling them there was a fire in their cabin. Well, there wasn't (don't go there) and they told him so. He argued that there was!!

What a hoot! I guess today that cruise would have been totally ruined!

We had some of the best food ever on that ship.

Shay

I don't even remember the name of the ship, but she was an old battleax. Everymorning when we got up to go walking (of course there was no track), we saw where they had welded overnight and were painting to cover up the smoke! One day they were welding outside and something caught on fire and the worker tried to put it out by smacking the flames and launched a life boat (the canister type) out into the ocean! He got in trouble :( and we had to go back and get the life boat.

Our friends received, in the middle of the night, a phone call from the captain telling them there was a fire in their cabin. Well, there wasn't (don't go there) and they told him so. He argued that there was!!

What a hoot! I guess today that cruise would have been totally ruined!

We had some of the best food ever on that ship.

Shay

Shay, if you can remember what year I might be able to figure it out. Nita

I started cruising a little later than you - my first cruise was 1988 when we took our kids on the "Big Red Boat" (pre Disney), the Royale. I remember thinking the pool looked more like a mine shaft - it was this small square hole, essentially, but it was so much deeper than wide. I also remember the horse races - and the costume parties (hated those!).

NMNita,

I'm thinking. The one thing I cannot remember is years. It amazes me when people sit and quote off years, "I did this in 1982 or that in 1947 or we bought the house in 1990 or whatever." But give me some time.

Shay

yes i am new to this website. I do enjoy hearing both good and bad reviews and have learned many things. my personal experience with customer service on the Dawn on 1/7/07 was outstanding from start to finish. Some examples are as follows. At the dock in NY I never felt lost, many ncl people to help with questions and directions. Everyone I spoke With was very nice and I do ask alot of questions. After boarding we noticed that the control pannel for the heating and air was broken in one of our cabins. Only heat worked and would not shut off. My daughter complained that we were still at the dock and we are already having problems. Housekeeping staff had someone come within 10 min. The panel was replaced and the air was on. In all of the 11 days only 1 bartender was a little short with me. The only very rude and I repeat very rude person was my own teenage daughter. Next time she stays home.

I started cruising a little later than you - my first cruise was 1988 when we took our kids on the "Big Red Boat" (pre Disney), the Royale. I remember thinking the pool looked more like a mine shaft - it was this small square hole, essentially, but it was so much deeper than wide. I also remember the horse races - and the costume parties (hated those!).
Oh, we sorta liked the costume parties, actually we only participated once and I think we got a prize, a bottle of champange. Was it my favorite part of the cruise? Nope, acutally I have one thing I loved about Costa (maybe the only thing) that was the last night toga party. As for the Big Red Boat, just before they went under (what a pun) I had been confirmed on a fam trip; was really excited. Obviuosly I never got to take it: Primere was much like Commodore, no frills. It was a great line for families that wanted the theme but couldn't afford Disney. Yes, those types of cruises are a thing of the past. Oh well, the future is always fun as well. The pool, sounds about like the one on the Caribe. It literally didn't have a shallow end, just a big hole!!!! LOL

NMNita,

I'm thinking. The one thing I cannot remember is years. It amazes me when people sit and quote off years, "I did this in 1982 or that in 1947 or we bought the house in 1990 or whatever." But give me some time.

Shay

It must be a gal thing: you and my hubby are about the same. I am surprised he knows what year he got married!!! Actually he may not, he does know how many years it has been, but am not sure he remembers the year. LOL

NMNita,

I just spoke with my dd, who remembered her age at the time, so it would have been summer, 1996.

Funny, that just doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it was. :( Time is flying by too quickly!

Shay

Our first cruise was also on the Big Red Boat (pre Disney)...the Royale. I remember our group (table mates) getting trash bags, borrowing white gloves from the crew and instruments from the band and going up on stage as California Rasins.....we won Champagne. The pool did remind me of a square hole.:rolleyes:

NMNita,

I just spoke with my dd, who remembered her age at the time, so it would have been summer, 1996.

Funny, that just doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it was. :( Time is flying by too quickly!

Shay

LOL - yes, that is exactly why I remember the year - took our 4 kids, and if I get the year wrong, they let me know!

BTW, that trip cost us over $4,000 to book way back then (2 adults, 4 young kids , 1 "family" cabin, no airfare) - that's over $7,000 in 2006 $$ - puts the "reduction in amenities" in perspective just a bit. We just paid ~$7,900 for 10 people (7 adults, 2 3YOs, 1 2YO) for 7 nights on the Jewel - incl 4 cabins - 2 CC (oceanview), 1 BA (balc) and 1 AD (penthouse suite).

Wowww. I remember cruising on Commodore as being inexpensive. We "dished it out" and paid for the largest suite they had. It was originally the captain's quarters. The room was lower than the deck, so our window showed peoples' feet walking by. But, we had flowers and robes, and the cabin was very large. There is no way in this world I can remember what we paid, but I do remember that it was very economical, or it was compared to other cruise lines that we were looking at.

Man, I'm gettin old. And that young girl who sailed Commodore with us, my daughter, is now expecting my first grandchild!!

Shay

I have recently booked my 1st cruise in April it will be on the Pride of Aloha and then I found this site. I have been reading alot of the posts trying to figure out what to expect. Posts like this one scare me but then I read what others say and feel a little relieved. (deep breath) I just know I will love my cruise because I am not used to be waited on anyway so if the service isn't the greatest it will be wonderful to me. Ok, now I have a rew questions. My husband and I are both smokers, where is smoking permited on the ship? Can you smoke in your stateroom? What is a bar set-up and how much is it? Do I have to prerequest it? LMAO ok so I have a million questions in my head... sorry! I have 80 some odd days to find the answers.

ImMom, don't be scared !!! I did this cruise Jan 7th. I've sailed with other cruiselines and found this one just as good as the others. A little different maybe but a great cruise. There are places on the Lido deck for smokers. Not sure about smoking in your stateroom. I'm not sure about the bar set-up. Seems it is against the rules in Hawaii. Maybe someone else on the board would have better info on that. This is a great site to get information. You might want to check out Hawaii thread for more info.

Don't worry !!! Just go and have fun. Hawaii is beautiful !!!!!! Like they say there "Hang Loose"

Thanks, ASue! I seem to be getting more excited by the day (hate to see how I will be by cruise date LOL). There is so much info on these boards and I am so grateful for them! My son-law told me our cabin number the other day we had gty and now assigned numbers - it seems to be in a really small section of the ship - between decks?? Does this make sense?? arghhh I can't remember what numbers they were. Oh well, I would be happy in coat closet! ;)

Wowww. I remember cruising on Commodore as being inexpensive. We "dished it out" and paid for the largest suite they had. It was originally the captain's quarters. The room was lower than the deck, so our window showed peoples' feet walking by. But, we had flowers and robes, and the cabin was very large. There is no way in this world I can remember what we paid, but I do remember that it was very economical, or it was compared to other cruise lines that we were looking at.

Man, I'm gettin old. And that young girl who sailed Commodore with us, my daughter, is now expecting my first grandchild!!

Shay

you sound like our daughter,except for your name: our Caribe cruise was with our oldest daughter who left her, then little one at home with a baby sitter. Now that little one has been out of college almost 2 years, is married and expecting our first great granddaughter. Osiebosie, remembers the cost: Like I said, ours was the 80s and we got an interline discount (0ur daugther worked for American at the time) We paid about $500 per person plus port charges of $40.00. The third person, my mother in law paid, $299.00 I think. Actually the interline rates for a standard outside cabin today are very similar. Biggest difference is the port charges. People wonder why food quality and more nickel and diming is an issue today. I think this explains it. NMnita

Archived