Where did customer service go?

harleycruises

:confused: My Husband & I just returned from a NCL Cruise, aboard The Dream. We sailed out of Houston, which is a terribly ugly "industrial" port, stated our trip at late because of fog, but everyone working for NCL was rude and did not communicate what, when or how things were going.

As this was our 16-20th cruise, we thought we knew what to expect. I even booked a cabin with a balcony, which as you know is much more money. We were never treated with any kindness, curtesy or just plain "Customer Service" our whole trip. With the new policy of "auto-adding" the "tips" to your bill, the crew members no longer have to work for their tips! Therefore the service is below standard. Smoking was not inforced anywhere on board, music was too loud on deck and the Ports of call were shabby and the tours were total rip-offs!

We love crusing and came home so disappointed. We felt like we spent all this money for nothing. You know, like we didn't even have a vacation! I could go on and on about what was wrong with this cruise, from the entertainment, to the prices aboard for drinks, to the rudeness of all personale, but I will stop and hope others who were unhappy will post as well. We must let these companies know, they will no longer get our money for bad service!

We sailed out of Houston, which is a terribly ugly "industrial" port,

Ok, the ugliness is NCL's fault how? Wouldn't it be up to the Port of Houston to clean up that?

stated our trip at late because of fog.

and how is NCL responsible for the weather?

With the new policy of "auto-adding" the "tips" to your bill, the crew members no longer have to work for their tips!

This policy has been on place on NCL for over 6 years now. Don't call that new. The crew can be fired or lose part of the tip pot for bad reviews from the customers. Did you fill out the comment card or S.T.Y.L.E cards on board? Then if so, NCL got the message.

Smoking was not inforced anywhere on board, music was too loud on deck

Do you mean non smoking rules were not enforced??

Funny, someone was just complaining on another thread that the music on their cruise was not loud enough. Music, like food is subjective and based on a person's personal choices.

and the Ports of call were shabby and the tours were total rip-offs!

again, how can NCL be responsible for the ports of call? They must not be too bad as several ships dock each day those ports. If they were so bad, don't you think less ships would dock? Again, the tours, although monitored by NCL, are not generally under NCL's control. The price charged is determined mostly by the tour operator and not NCL.

1.welcome to cruise critic.

2. Sounds like you didn't have a nice time.

3. Can you gave us some specifics of the rudeness?

4. Isn't NCL leaving Houston?

5. did you complain to anyone?

The smoking problem is a problem with your fellow cruisers---did you say anything or report the problem?

Most of us don't do cruise company excursions or know before we go what to expect.

Sometimes some people and cruise lines are just not meant for one another...It happens even in the best of families....

I must say I have been on 8 NCL cruises and I have always found the staff extremely friendly when you are friendly to them.

and people can be rude on CC too...

I'm sorry you had a bad time. I hope your next cruise is better. I only have a few comments about one part of your post.

With the new policy of "auto-adding" the "tips" to your bill, the crew members no longer have to work for their tips! Therefore the service is below standard.
As someone else said, this isn't a new policy and you should have been aware of this before sailing. However, having the tips added to your account is a convenience to you and you in no way have to keep the tips on your bill. You can have them removed with a trip to the purser's desk. Also, the crew does work for their tips. Just because it comes to them in a different way than before doesn't mean they don't work for them. They work for their share and if they don't perform, they lose their job. That seems like a huge incentive to do a good job. And if you felt you didn't get good service, you should have made it a point to tell someone. Again, I hope your next cruise is better.

We have been on the Dream twice and found some of the friendliest crew and officers on board.

If you have been on 16-20 cruises you must realise that many ports are "industrial" - it's part of what being a port is.

I'm not touching this one with a 1700 mile pole:D

harleycruises--maybe you should stick to "Harley" vacations. Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise.

A 1700 mile pole? Being a Pole my self I resemble that remark.....

I wouldn't have touched Harley with a 1700 mile Russian either...

:confused: My Husband & I just returned from a NCL Cruise, aboard The Dream. We sailed out of Houston, which is a terribly ugly "industrial" port, stated our trip at late because of fog, but everyone working for NCL was rude and did not communicate what, when or how things were going.

As this was our 16-20th cruise, we thought we knew what to expect. I even booked a cabin with a balcony, which as you know is much more money. We were never treated with any kindness, curtesy or just plain "Customer Service" our whole trip. With the new policy of "auto-adding" the "tips" to your bill, the crew members no longer have to work for their tips! Therefore the service is below standard. Smoking was not inforced anywhere on board, music was too loud on deck and the Ports of call were shabby and the tours were total rip-offs!

We love crusing and came home so disappointed. We felt like we spent all this money for nothing. You know, like we didn't even have a vacation! I could go on and on about what was wrong with this cruise, from the entertainment, to the prices aboard for drinks, to the rudeness of all personale, but I will stop and hope others who were unhappy will post as well. We must let these companies know, they will no longer get our money for bad service!

I can't help but wonder what you expected; noticed this was your first posting which is always a red flag when a 1st one is negative. I am sure a bad cruise is a bit disappointment; After 20 plus cruises I don't think I have ever had one that sounded as bad as yours was to you: now: fog, what was the crew supposed to do? We were on HAL last month; had horribly rough seas, never did any crew member tell us what to expect. We rolled with the punches (pardon the pun) As for auto tipping, this,as I am sure you know from all your cruising has been adopted by just about every line: the auto tipping and the service, in my opinion have little to do with each other.

Yes, the port is in an industrial area; we have cruised out of Houston 3 times, actually, after the first time, we just found it pretty funny: it certainly didn't affect our cruise in any way. NCL is leaving Houston btw. Hopefully when Houston builds their new port NCL will return.

Drink prices are high, they are the same as Celebrity and HAL now. I too, hate to pay the price. That is why we order a bar set up. It helps us with the cost of drinks. My objection is not being able to bring wine on for comsumtion in our cabin without paying the cockage fee.

As for the tours, I would think after all your cruises you would learn to book tours on your own. Ship tours can be really expensive and never worth the money in my opinion anyway.

Smoking rules not being enforced? Are you saying people were smoking the showroom and the dining rooms? I really don't know what else you could be referring to? AS for the music, is this in referance to the poolside music or the entertainment?

I don't know if you have cruised NCL before or if you realized this was an older, smaller ship? Yes, the balcony cabins are expensive. If you have cruised NCL before you must have been happy in the past to book again, if not it appears this is one cruise line that isn't your cup of tea. Some of your complaints seem legit; the late start and no one giving you answers: NO.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise better. It isn't fun to go on vacation and not have a good time. NMnita

I whole-heartly agree...the rudeness of this particular (Dream) crew was unbelieveable.:mad:

Well, you know, I just got off of the Majesty, and there was one rude person we had to deal with a couple of times. I wrote about her on the comment card, and that's that. I didn't even bother mentioning her in my review. She certainly didn't ruin our cruise!

If you are going to complain here, please be a little more specific.

I used to take up for first time posters who were negative, since I was once one, but I'm running out of patience.

Shay

Hi MsM...long time no see. Where've you been. :)

I whole-heartly agree...the rudeness of this particular (Dream) crew was unbelieveable.
Unless MsM has cruised the Dream again, her Dream cruise was in 2004. Is that right? I doubt the crew is the same as back then but MsM did have a bad time.

I whole-heartly agree...the rudeness of this particular (Dream) crew was unbelieveable.:mad:

Now I understand our "Host Cecilia" comments to MSM, I did a history on MSM comments on different threads, she has a history of stirring things up.:eek:

NCL prices reflect the other cruise lines, or they would be out of business. The prices of the drinks reflect a resort, not your local 7-11. Unfortuantely, there isn't a 7-11 floating next door.

Houston is the oil capitol of the world, surely you would expect oil refineries and a port industrial area reflecting this.

Suely you noticed the pea thick soup of fog that morning. The bridge to Galveeston was closed. The other lines there left late too.

And most of the other lines have joined NCL with automatic tipping. Including Carnival, Holland American, and Priness.

Frankly, I wonder when you cruised 20 times before? Twenty years ago?

:confused: Having perused most of this thread (and similar ones prior to this), my comment is : Why do you humour these people (who are obviously mainly out to create friction) by dissecting their so-called reviews? Why don't you simply IGNORE them? rolleye.gif

Archived