pool activities???

cruizmama

The Maasdam had pool games at the aft pool on sea days, where two teams complete for Dam Dollars or adult beverages... :D

We played every chance we got! Noticed alot of people would crowd around to see the games, but would shy away from actually playing. Get in there and do it! It was a blast.

Does Hal have pool activities? Like hairy leg contest, belly flop etc..... Do they have a band by the pool playing caribbean music?? We will be sailing in 5 weeks can't wait.

As a soon to be first time HAL guest, PLEASE tell me that HAL doesnt have a hairy leg contest, or belly flop contest??:eek:

Fortunately, I'm with Dave and have never been forced to endure those awful belly-flop or hairy leg contests either. I hope I never am.

There is frequently too-loud music at the Lido pool for an hour or so, but it's easy enough to get away from it by going to the outdoor pool.

They had "Wild 'n Wacky Pool Games" one day on the Oosterdam's aft pool deck. There were two teams of passengers doing silly things - but not quite as humiliating as belly flops or hair-oriented contests.

Just before the pool games there was a scavenger hunt that was hilarious to watch!

There was a bellyflop competition on the Volendam last November. It seemed to be a real hit with the people there, sure a few people got up and left the area when it started but by the end it was standing room only. I was the only female to participate in the contest and I had people coming up to me for the rest of the trip telling me how great it was, and how I should've won. :rolleyes:

I guess it just depends on the activities staff on your sailing. The only other pool activities during the 10 day trip were golf chipping and a random pool games thing that involved diving and relay races. So the pool was definitely not taken over by the zany Carnival antics. Please keep the contests that involve hairy body parts away.

...and on the Zuiderdam back in 2004 there were canonball and bellyflop portions incorporated into the regular pool games. So these things are around on HAL but so very easily avoidable as only about 5% of the passengers actually watch these events.

There was a bellyflop competition on the Volendam last November. It seemed to be a real hit with the people there, sure a few people got up and left the area when it started but by the end it was standing room only. I was the only female to participate in the contest and I had people coming up to me for the rest of the trip telling me how great it was, and how I should've won. :rolleyes:

I guess it just depends on the activities staff on your sailing. The only other pool activities during the 10 day trip were golf chipping and a random pool games thing that involved diving and relay races. So the pool was definitely not taken over by the zany Carnival antics. Please keep the contests that involve hairy body parts away.

All I have to say is you go girlfriend!!:D :D I didn't know that women paticipated in the belly flop competition.

In my sailings on HAL, no belly flop or hairy legs contest. To each his own. Frankly, it don't lessen my cruise time at all.

Last week on Westerdam there was no belly flop 9count me in as someone who doesn't enjoy that) but there were quite a few other pool games that are typical on all of Carnival's various brands (and on other lines, too, for that matter). One day, in the atrium, they had a rubber chicken tossing contest. I kid you not.

I can proudly say that there were indeed pool games on MS Noordam!!! My fiance, my future brother-in-law, and I ALL participated in the last set of pool games the day we left San Juan. There were 2 teams who competed for Dam Dollars and drinks. We had to do synchronized swimming, "Dam Ship Relay" (which involved passing an inflatable HAL ship to other team members between our legs), a balloon-popping extravaganza, a ball-tossing event, and, my personal favorite, a fruit capturing contest. 4 members of each team had to jump into the pool with a bunch of lemons and a couple of pineapples. Each lemon was worth 1 point, each pineapple 5. We had to gather up the fruit and hold them inside our bathing suits. I'm proud to say that I held 3 lemons in my bikini top and 2 inside my shorts. (I'm forever known as "Princess Lemon"). Fuddy-duddies can say what they will--IT WAS A BLAST!!! We got 3 Dam Dollars and a free rum punch. Now, the ship was rocking mightily, so it was no mean feat to do well in the games.

I have to disagree with RuthC: the music was not too loud. Jessie and the HALCats (the band) was wonderful! They played out by the aft pool for the sail aways when we left the ports of call. Now, they're quite talented, but most of the fogies who sat out by the pool didn't appreciate them. I think anyone who appreciates good music and a good time will enjoy both the music and the pool games. VIVA TERRI'S TERRORIZERS!!!!

I can proudly say that there were indeed pool games on MS Noordam!!! My fiance, my future brother-in-law, and I ALL participated in the last set of pool games the day we left San Juan. There were 2 teams who competed for Dam Dollars and drinks. We had to do synchronized swimming, "Dam Ship Relay" (which involved passing an inflatable HAL ship to other team members between our legs), a balloon-popping extravaganza, a ball-tossing event, and, my personal favorite, a fruit capturing contest. 4 members of each team had to jump into the pool with a bunch of lemons and a couple of pineapples. Each lemon was worth 1 point, each pineapple 5. We had to gather up the fruit and hold them inside our bathing suits. I'm proud to say that I held 3 lemons in my bikini top and 2 inside my shorts. (I'm forever known as "Princess Lemon"). Fuddy-duddies can say what they will--IT WAS A BLAST!!! We got 3 Dam Dollars and a free rum punch. Now, the ship was rocking mightily, so it was no mean feat to do well in the games.

I have to disagree with RuthC: the music was not too loud. Jessie and the HALCats (the band) was wonderful! They played out by the aft pool for the sail aways when we left the ports of call. Now, they're quite talented, but most of the fogies who sat out by the pool didn't appreciate them. I think anyone who appreciates good music and a good time will enjoy both the music and the pool games. VIVA TERRI'S TERRORIZERS!!!!

..... One day, in the atrium, they had a rubber chicken tossing contest. I kid you not.

Yes, they had that on the Zaandam last summer, only it was held at the main pool on the Lido deck. My 74-year-old mother beat about 15 other contestants and won the "dam" dollar prize!:D

Karin

So are we....and I hope we don't have to endure that! Yuck. :eek: :eek: :eek:

No need to endure it if it's not your thing. The events only last about 30 minutes, a chance to head back to the room for a bit or to grab a snack in the Lido. Or you can always just move to the other pool.

I have to say, the first time they did pool games in the aft pool, I was irritated and thought it was stupid. I wasn't even going to do the pool games the day we left San Juan, but my fiance dragged me up there (because he got dragged up there himself!). I have to say, I'm really glad he did because it was a BLAST! And the people in the pool area got a really good laugh at us. (They should have because we looked ridiculous!) So, if it's not your thing, you can always find something else fun to do. But if you hang around and watch, it's a riot. Believe me. :p

2hot

Archived