Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I see you were dealing with a travel agent in Montana, while you live in Texas. I always deal with travel agents close by - I like to be able to look into their eyeballs.

Definitely one should be able to see their travel agent. Mine is just around the corner, in one of the ground-floor stores in my apartment complex. He e-mails me whenever my cruise tickets are ready for pick-up, and when I meet him he always goes through each document with me. I enjoy that kind of personalized service, as well as the shipboard gifts which he gives me in gratitude for my repeat business over the past six years.

I've never had to nudge him to do anything. In fact, he would notify me of refunds or discounts of which I was not aware.

Donald.

I just read on the Holland America boards that Prinsendam, in her 2010 drydocking, will have 22 cabins added:

16 Deluxe Verandahs,

2 standard Verandahs,

4 Inside cabins.

Additionally, a new "Sea View Bar" will be added on an enlarged Pool Deck.

You just came off Prinsendam - do you think this is a good idea?

Some ships are enhanced by adding cabins, and some don't fare so well.

Edited by Druke I

I'm so proud to walk thru Immigration at DFW Airport and present my shiny green US passport. Compared to much of the world, we live in a paradise. Many of us who read the boards on Cruise Critic have rights and privileges that so many others around the globe yearn to enjoy.

Michael - I'm still musing about the changes to Prinsendam and thanks for pointing out the changes. I'm trying to figure out where the new cabins will go. At this time, the ship carries a max of 793 pax which means the census will go up to at least 850. I am surprised that HAL would put that kind of $$$$ into what the mass-market crowd enjoys calling an "old" ship. We shall see.

Ruby

I just read on the Holland America boards that Prinsendam, in her 2010 drydocking, will have 22 cabins added:

16 Deluxe Verandahs,

2 standard Verandahs,

4 Inside cabins.

Additionally, a new "Sea View Bar" will be added on an enlarged Pool Deck.

You just came off Prinsendam - do you think this is a good idea?

Some ships are enhanced by adding cabins, and some don't fare so well.

Oh oh. This isn't good news, especially since I've booked an 18 day cruise through the Norwegian fjords for next June. HAL does not have any postings about these alterations to Prinsendam in its Signature of Excellence program and according to their web site there is only a two week period in January, 2010 during which the ship will be undergoing some refit. Will this be enough time to effect all these changes? Stay tuned.

how have you been doing? anymotre saga cruises planned? me got a bit of money trouble so not sure when and if my next cruise will be. hoping qm2 liverpool-soton half cruise on qm2 will still happen. i'd lovev to do saga rose's last cruise. a friend is doiung it and i am trying to get onboard her in soton. i wrote to saga but no reply as yet. heard anything of what is going to happen to her?

dave

Hi folks:) I am a good friend of Donald's and also think the Capt's

Club hostess made a gaff:eek:

Hey Donald, you sailing again this Sunday or next?:D....I certainly

hope that invitation is in the bag this time!!!

I know you are usually in the top 3 of sailings whenever you are

on "our ship";)

Hi, Lois! I'll be back on Mercury on the 19th. Who knows, maybe someone with 50+ cruise credits will be on board then, in which case I won't get a bottle of wine from the Captain? LOL! I'll let everyone here know afterwards.

Donald.

Ships cat - are you back from North America yet? I know that the upper East Coast of the US has been drenched almost daily - how was your weather? And your trip?

Fran - please remind us of your future cruise plans. I have some vague idea of Discovery and 40 days, but I may be way off. What looms on your horizon?

I'm still confused about the possible refit for Prinsendam. Nothing makes sense to me. Thoughts, anybody?

Ruby

Have you looked at the thread on the Holland America boards re Prinsendam's refit?

There are many opinions stated there, most of them not favorable to the addition of cabins.

If it is done, it will be the second time cabins have been added to that ship, although many HAL posters seem to have overlooked (or forgotten) that fact. The ship sailing today is not as built for the Royal Viking Lines.

Fran - please remind us of your future cruise plans. I have some vague idea of Discovery and 40 days, but I may be way off. What looms on your horizon?

Ruby, you are correct. It is indeed the Discovery but it is not until the new year. I will be leaving on December 31, 2009 and arriving in Singapore where I will do the 2 nights/3 days pre-cruise.

I am, however, confused as they have used all of the figures between 39 and 42 day cruise. I believe that the actual cruise is probably 39 days and I am really looking forward to it.

Ruby, How did your kindle work out for you? Was it a great convenience?

Fran

Ruby, How did your kindle work out for you? Was it a great convenience? Fran

I am deep into a delightful enjoyment of my Kindle2. If the house catches on fire, I'm grabbin' the cat and the Kindle.

My total embrace of the Kindle surprises me. The original plan was to use the Kindle for a personal, lightweight library on my travels then bring it home and go back to hard-cover books. After using it on the cruise and realizing its potential, it is now my third arm. In the terrible heat of this Texas summer, I am quite content to play on my computer and read an unending number of Kindle books. I've started Trollope's The Way We Live Now which is 800+ pages, so that should hold my attention for the month of July.

Evidently Doubleday and other publishers, which are bringing out their own e-readers, are not making new bestsellers available to Amazon Kindle readers which I think is wrongheaded. I have arthritis in my thumbs which flares painfully if I am trying to hold open a 500+ book so Pat Conroy's South of Broad which is coming out in August will go unpurchased for this reader.

The Kindle2 was quite the object of curiosity on my cruise. I demonstrated it often on the ship to people who walked up and asked about it. Everyone is surprised at how simple it is to use and understands the advantage of having 18 books stored in a total weight of 10 ozs. The price of the Kindle2 has recently dropped to $299 (it started out at $399 as the original Kindle) and most of the e-books are $9.99 or less. I'm glad I waited for the Kindle2 because I saw the original Kindle on my flight home from Italy and it isn't as streamlined as this second version. But Kindle2 - Big Fan here.

Ruby

I am deep into a delightful enjoyment of my Kindle2. If the house catches on fire, I'm grabbin' the cat and the Kindle.

My total embrace of the Kindle surprises me. The original plan was to use the Kindle for a personal, lightweight library on my travels then bring it home and go back to hard-cover books. After using it on the cruise and realizing its potential, it is now my third arm. In the terrible heat of this Texas summer, I am quite content to play on my computer and read an unending number of Kindle books. I've started Trollope's The Way We Live Now which is 800+ pages, so that should hold my attention for the month of July.

Evidently Doubleday and other publishers, which are bringing out their own e-readers, are not making new bestsellers available to Amazon Kindle readers which I think is wrongheaded. I have arthritis in my thumbs which flares painfully if I am trying to hold open a 500+ book so Pat Conroy's South of Broad which is coming out in August will go unpurchased for this reader.

The Kindle2 was quite the object of curiosity on my cruise. I demonstrated it often on the ship to people who walked up and asked about it. Everyone is surprised at how simple it is to use and understands the advantage of having 18 books stored in a total weight of 10 ozs. The price of the Kindle2 has recently dropped to $299 (it started out at $399 as the original Kindle) and most of the e-books are $9.99 or less. I'm glad I waited for the Kindle2 because I saw the original Kindle on my flight home from Italy and it isn't as streamlined as this second version. But Kindle2 - Big Fan here.

Ruby

Would you believe I'd never heard of a Kindle, let alone a Kindle2. Sounds like you don't miss the hard copy books at all, Ruby.

18 books with a total weight of 10 ozs - what joy for travellers, in particular! What potential for the School of the Air, which sends library books to outback children.

I'm back. I got home today and had a wonderful time. The QM2, although big, feels like a small ship. She has a low space/passenger ratio and there are lots of small corners to sit and read and never see another person. There are also acres of open teak deck space - great since we enjoyed six full days of hot sun and glassy calm seas westbound. Eastbound started off OK, but became classic north Atlantic weather - fog, gales and rain. The ship handled it beautifully though, with barely any movement felt the whole voyage.

Here is a taster photo. I am still washing and unpacking, ready for work tomorrow!

DSC_0010.JPG

Edited by ships cat

I'm back. I got home today and had a wonderful time. The QM2, although big, feels like a small ship. She has a low space/passenger ratio and there are lots of small corners to sit and read and never see another person. There are also acres of open teak deck space - great since we enjoyed six full days of hot sun and glassy calm seas westbound. Eastbound started off OK, but became classic north Atlantic weather - fog, gales and rain. The ship handled it beautifully though, with barely any movement felt the whole voyage.

Here is a taster photo. I am still washing and unpacking, ready for work tomorrow!

DSC_0010.JPG

Welcome Home.

Pleased you enjoyed your cruise on QM2 and had hot sun and calm seas westbound. If you had to have fog, gales and rain eastbound, QM2, being an ocean liner, would be a good ship to be on.

Don't you just love the open teak deck space? Could you walk right around the deck?

Welcome back, Ships Cat!

One of my friends from Vancouver Island was also on the same voyage. She and her husband enjoyed it immensely:

We decided to sail back on the Queen Mary as fares this year have been going down and down and we thought we might as well have the 6 days of travel and pampering rather than the fast flight home. The QM2 is wonderful--we have never been on such an amazing ship. Everything is just the best. The food, the cabin, the lack of noise, the lectures, two plays, the entertainment... we hope to sail on her again. The weather was lovely too and we felt hardly any movement as the seas were flat calm most of the way over.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

Glad your friends enjoyed her too Donald. Yes she is a true ocean liner. Marion - yes you can walk right round the promenade deck - 3 laps to 1.1 miles, as well as out onto part of the foredeck. Mr friend and I stood here during thick fog off Newfoundland and listened to the ship's foghorn - wonderful.

I'll be making my third trip on QM2 on Sept. 4 for a quickie four night cruise from Brooklyn to St. John, NB. I'm not a fan of megaships but QM2 is not at all typical of that breed. We always enjoy our time onboard and are looking forward to this trip as well. We got a fantastic price for the trip.....almost cheaper to go than stay at home, however, the price does not include one essential. Our Martini's!

My only view of QM2 was in Peru where it shared the pier with the Marco Polo. It was huge and almost scary to me. Later that day when the Captain made his daily announcement he talked about his conversation with his QM2 peer.

Our captain asked if he was familiar with our ship and the QM2 counterpart said " Do you mean the little blue canoe? The MP is blue on the bottom. I will always think kindly of my little blue canoe that is sick with the Norovirus. Get Well MP.

Fran

18 books with a total weight of 10 ozs - what joy for travellers, in particular! What potential for the School of the Air, which sends library books to outback children.

Amazon's Kindle uses a unique and dedicated Whispernet that extends only to the States and not necessarily all of them. I knew when the plane door closed in Atlanta on the way to Rome that I better have all my books downloaded for the trip. But what a marvelous idea for the School of the Air. I hope it becomes a reality in the future.

Is your birthday in January, Ruby? Just noticed a special on Corinthian II - $1250 off Jan sailings, plus $500 and no single supplement if your birthday falls during the cruise.

My b'day is in June and now I'm totally confused about prices for CII. They raised the prices $1,000 after I booked, now they're offering discounts! Thanks for telling me.

The QM2, although big, feels like a small ship. She has a low space/passenger ratio and there are lots of small corners to sit and read and never see another person. There are also acres of open teak deck space - great since we enjoyed six full days of hot sun and glassy calm seas westbound. Eastbound started off OK, but became classic north Atlantic weather - fog, gales and rain. The ship handled it beautifully though, with barely any movement felt the whole voyage.

All of you are consistently positive about QM2. Evidently Cunard got the mix right of size versus density onboard. Ships cat - do you have particular favourite memories of your tour of that area of North America?

Fran - you are more generous than I would have been if a British ship captain had called my ship "a little blue canoe." I take umbrage at that remark. Evidently, for him, size matters.

Dave - I have no information about whither goest for Saga Rose. I know she leaves service at Saga at the end of this year. There are so many permutations about her possible future that I'm just waiting to hear over what horizon she will sail, if at all.

Ruby

Fran - you are more generous than I would have been if a British ship captain had called my ship "a little blue canoe." I take umbrage at that remark. Evidently, for him, size matters.

Ruby

As an Australian, I would take his description as a compliment and smile.

Edited by MMDown Under

Ships cat - do you have particular favourite memories of your tour of that area of North America?

Ruby

Every port was good in it's own way. I loved standing right on the foredeck in very thick fog off Nova Scotia and listening to the ship's foghorn. You couldn't see anything at all but it was still warm. It was beautiful and eerie. I have a very long report, in three parts, I posted on

http://*****showthread.php?t=6861,

http://*****showthread.php?t=6882

http://*****showthread.php?t=6884

for anyone interested. New York is exciting, hot, fascinating and exhausting. Boston is beautiful now the Big Dig has finished - so green and in Halifax I again visited Peggy's Cove, which I love and Lunenburg.

(Hope these links work! )

Edited by ships cat

Sharon

A wonderful and very interesting review. It brought back lots of memories for me. I was especially taken by your attitude toward your Circle Line sightseeing cruise around Manhattan. In the past I never understood why someone would take a boat ride when on a cruise. Your reason was very credible to me.

NYC is my birthplace and many of the sites have great meaning to me.

RUBY I can't get upset about the little blue canoe remark. I have come to use the saying in an endearing manner.

Fran

Sharon

I was especially taken by your attitude toward your Circle Line sightseeing cruise around Manhattan. In the past I never understood why someone would take a boat ride when on a cruise. Your reason was very credible to me.

Fran

I know what you mean Fran, but aside from the intense heat (I for one am not used to it !) ,the friend I was meeting had walking difficulties, and it seemed the best compromise for all of us. I really enjoyed seeing parts of NYC you would never normally see if you stayed in the main parts of Manhattan and it got me out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island too.

Edited by ships cat