Still hoping HAL will do as others are doing!!!

sail7seas

I just heard from my TA that Royal Caribbean is sending their new ship, Jewel, to Boston in 2005 to do ten day cruises to the Caribbean roundtrip from Boston.

HAL .......please!!!!! It is such a torture for DH and me to know a cruise company other than our chosen favorite can do this cruise that we have begged for year. If RCI can do it, why can't HAL? Why won't HAL?

Seems cruises sailing out of Boston are selling out. Lots of cruisers here in the Northeast would love to be able to go to the Caribbean without going to an airport.

I hear ya'. I keep waiting for them to dig a canal from L.A. to Las Vegas so we can board here for Alaska, Hawaii, Asia, and the Mexican Riviera. With 'Vegas being the destination that it is, wouldn't that be just one more unique thing? :)

No.....

We cruised once on RCI and did not enjoy the experience very much. We never have returned to their ships and much as I would adore a ten day round trip cruise to the Caribbean from Boston, it won't be on RCI......I don't think. I never like to say "never".

Very limited dates are a whole lot better than no dates at all.

Actually, those are dates we would be very interested in and I have little interest exactly which ports the ship goes to. We are often very happy to just stay aboard.

Alot of folks could find that to be a great itinerary, though. Some people do not like Bermuda enough to spend five days tied up there as most Bermuda cruises out of Boston/New York do. But a day there might be fun.

Jim, I LOVE your idea. Think of the possibilties. But then again I would be thrilled with more itineraries out of Southern California. With Southwest now having special of $39 one way per person you can hardly drive it for that let alone park for a week. We were able to get that fare for San Diego in November.

I hear ya'. I keep waiting for them to dig a canal from L.A. to Las Vegas so we can board here for Alaska, Hawaii, Asia, and the Mexican Riviera. With 'Vegas being the destination that it is, wouldn't that be just one more unique thing? :)

I would bet we could get Bill S to agree too:D

The Maasdam is doing a round trip from Boston beginning on July 16, 2005:) . 35 days, going to Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Shetland Islands, Bergen and Stavanger in Norway, and completing the first half in Rotterdam on the 17 day first half. The return trip visits LeHarve, Plymouth, Cork, Dubin, Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland before arriving back at Boston on August 20th, 2005.

Yes, I know.

DH is not retired and cannot take 35 days away from his practice.

Besides...that is not what I was referencing. What I have been begging HAL for is a ten to fourteen day cruise roundtrip out of Boston to the Caribbean.....not the icebergs of Greenland :)

It takes the Maasdam almost two full days to get from San Juan to Norfolk, VA. How long would it take a ship to make it from Boston to the Caribbean?

SAILING ITINERARY - Royal Caribbean

Day Port *** Arrive Depart Activity

Day 1 Boston, Massachusetts 5:00 PM Boarding

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Kings Wharf, Bermuda 7:00 AM Docked

Day 4 Kings Wharf, Bermuda 5:00 PM Docked

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Philipsburg, St. Maarten 9:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked

Day 7 Tortola B.V.I 7:00 AM 3:00 PM Tendered

Day 8 Labadee, Hispaniola 10:00 AM 4:00 PM Tendered

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Boston, Massachusetts 8:00 AM Departure

This seems to be showing 2 1/2 cruising days Boston to St. Maarten and 2 1/2 days Hispaniola to Boston. That seems a little far-fetched after the Maasdam Norfolk experience, but the Jewel may go faster than the Maasdam.

Why not get more exotic? I'm suprised no one has thought of putting a half-scale Statendam on the Strip, which cruises a canal stopping at the Venetian' Grand Canal; Mandalay Bay; Luxor; Paris; Barbary Coast; Treasure Island and New York, New York, with tenders traveling up the "Tiber" to Caesar's Palace, and a half-day shore excursion to the Munich Hofbrauhaus.

Come to think of it, why do you want to go anywhere anyway?

:rolleyes:

The Maasdam cruises at 22 knots, whereas the Jewel does 25 knots. It's probably about 550 - 600 miles to drives between the two, but for a ship it may be more like a 300 - 400 mile difference. So I guess those times make sense.

I actually think that the Maasdam could have made the trip without the late delays she was experiencing, if she had good weather. But with rough seas, which you're likely to experience during the winter, slowed her down significantly.

I'd guess four full sea days.

Takes 2 1/2 days to go from New York to San Juan, so doubt it would be 4 days.

HAL did a few sailings NY to San Juan, St. Maarten, Tortola, HMC, NY this year and they were great - ship was full. Leaving out of Boston or NY doesn't matter to us - easy to fly to both. We would love to go back to Bermuda and spend a couple of days there or even 24 hours as we did on the old Westerdam when they took her to Germany for stretch. We left from FLL, arrived in Bermuda around 1pm and left at 1pm the next day. Great Cruise - wish we could do that again.

Sail7Seas,

The RCI Jewel of the Seas is supposed to be a wonderful "radiance series"ship. I have read all about the artwork, decorations, the fantastic Solarium pool for adults only, and it has two specialty restaurants: Portofinos (wonderful) and Chops. My family has cruised with RCI six times, most being on the "voyager series"(very large ships).

This January 2005 we will be on the eight day Eastern Caribbean Jewel of the Seas. It's sister ships have had higher ratings than most HA ships in Conde Nast Traveler magazine for the past two years.

If you book a Royal, Owners, Royal Family, or Grand Suite/ or you are a Diamond Crown & Anchor member, you receive concierge services. The conceirge club consists of a lounge with windows facing the sea. It has breakfast items and hot and cold snacks in the afternoon. There is a capaccino and expresso machine working 24 hours a day. Every evening, from 5 - 8 p.m., drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic are served, including champagne and wine. Most of the time, you have to make them yourself, but there is no cost. Drinks may not be taken out of the lounge, though. The concierge also helps schedule any of your needs. Finally, there are many free dvds, videos, and cd's available to check out without a deposit(all of the above suites have vcr/dvd players).

Perhaps you should try a "radiance series" ship? We always travel in an Owner's suite, and the room is over 500 sq. ft. with a large plasma tv. The balcony is larger (131 sq. ft) on the Jewel, Mariner, and Navigator. The other ships have owner balcony's around 69 sq. ft. The Grand Suites are about 350 sq. ft. and always have balconies over 100 sq. ft.

This is just a suggestion. I thought I would never go on another line after being with RCI, but we have decided to try a HA ship, the Zuiderdam, this coming Saturday, 07-31-04.

Oh, and I hope you had a wonderful time aboard "My" M ship!:) ;) :) ;)

Why not get more exotic? I'm suprised no one has thought of putting a half-scale Statendam on the Strip, which cruises a canal stopping at the Venetian' Grand Canal; Mandalay Bay; Luxor; Paris; Barbary Coast; Treasure Island and New York, New York, with tenders traveling up the "Tiber" to Caesar's Palace, and a half-day shore excursion to the Munich Hofbrauhaus.

cactuslady, sounds like you know Vegas pretty well, very few know about the Hofbrauhaus up on Paradise. I like your idea though, but our new Monorail system is suppose to be the new "In Thing" I have not tried it myself yet but once they get it completed to downtown and the airport it could be quite helpful.

That is what everyone would ask us when we went to Hawaii. When you live here you gotta get out of town sometimes:eek: Besides we often need to cool down it is about 110 degrees outside right now and personally I like the ocean.

Laffnvegas --

We were just in Las Vegas around the 4th of July, when it was actually 4 degrees cooler there than here in Tucson! Plus we're having high humidity and thunderstorms now that it's the monsoon season. :cool: Met 'Vegas Jim while there, and decided we would not jump ship if he showed up at our dinner table.

We were told that the monorail will never go to the airport because of organized opposition from all the limo, cab and shuttle drivers. Not true? :confused:

Archived