Help with Dinning Seating

kcliff01

My partner and I want a table for 2 at the 6:15 dinning time. Our TA said that they had to wait list us for 6:15, and that's for all table sizes. I know that this will sound antisocial to most, but when we cruise, we hate sitting with other people. We are very introverted and enjoy each other's company very much. We've never sailed HAL before, always Princess, so getting a table for 2 at the time we want has never been an issue.

I wrote and called HAL about the table and they stated that they could not legally speak with us about it because they have a contractual agreement with all TAs to only deal with them regarding such matters.

How in the world do I ensure that I get a table for 2 at the time we desire. Any frequent HAL travelers with some words of wisdom?

Hal's TA, you can go directly to the Ships Coordinator. Call that department. It's the same one where you order "gifts", Pinnacle Grill etc.

Please be aware that although you can get a seat assignment, it is not guaranteed as the Maitre D and Dinning Manager on the ship has complete control of his ship. We know, because we had our table taken away the last 3 nights of our cruise on the Veendam last year. We said something and were told it was not our table (we are sure it was given to a ccuple in a more expensive suite). We got shuffled around to different tables the last 3 nights and basically because my Dh is a chef himself decided not to make a big deal about it. Although we hads had a window, all the seats in the dining room were very nice...This was the only "flaw" all week, we loved HAL and are crusing with them again.

Thank you! I will try the Ships Coordinator!

Hal's TA, you can go directly to the Ships Coordinator. Call that department. It's the same one where you order "gifts", Pinnacle Grill etc.

Please be aware that although you can get a seat assignment, it is not guaranteed as the Maitre D and Dinning Manager on the ship has complete control of his ship. We know, because we had our table taken away the last 3 nights of our cruise on the Veendam last year. We said something and were told it was not our table (we are sure it was given to a ccuple in a more expensive suite). We got shuffled around to different tables the last 3 nights and basically because my Dh is a chef himself decided not to make a big deal about it. Although we hads had a window, all the seats in the dining room were very nice...This was the only "flaw" all week, we loved HAL and are crusing with them again.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

My DH and I feel the same way you do about getting a table just for us, now also for our son. Our routine, both on HAL and Celebrity, is for my DH to to straight to see the Maitre'D once we board and request a table just for us. Usually a nice tip will give you what you need.

We have always gotten our requested table size on HAL. Still, when you board take your table assignment card to the DR and check out your table. If there's any change you need see the Maitre d' (now called the DR Mgr, I think) right away.

We've been fortunate in getting a table for two on each time we've sailed with HAL. We usually request the late seating. I think they may have more flexibility assigning tables later. We usually go to the dining room during the afternoon we board. There is almost always a line waiting to speak with the Maitre D. We've found that if we can find one of the Head waiters or waiters walking around by the dining room doors, we ask them if they have a dining room seating plan. They can usually tell you what type of table you've been assigned. Then, if necessary, you can go wait in line to talk to the Maitre D. Good luck and have a great cruise!

Well, sorta'...

Took Bob's and Jade's advise and contacted the various person's recommended. I received a reply that said that they went into the system and changed the table size requested from 8 to 2. They also stated that they would follow-up with us in a couple of weeks when tables are assigned to confirm our request.

Thanks for all of the help!!!

We just booked a B Verandah last week and were asked what our seating preference is. We were then told that all seatings were waitlisted. How can you be waitlisted for every available seating? Although I'm sure that everybody will end up with a seat, how is this physically possible to be waitlisted on all of them? There are a finite number of passengers and a finite number of seats. I've been on RCL and NCL and to have no assigned seating whatsoever when you book a cruise is a big strange.

I hope that my wife and I can get a table for 2 at early dining, but, I guess we'll take whatever we can get since we booked so late. Our cruise is on Statendam May 20th. We'll plan on boarding early and talking to the maitre'd.

Mark

Well, sorta'...

Took Bob's and Jade's advise and contacted the various person's recommended. I received a reply that said that they went into the system and changed the table size requested from 8 to 2. They also stated that they would follow-up with us in a couple of weeks when tables are assigned to confirm our request.

Thanks for all of the help!!!

Hi,

We also were told all the times were waitlisted but then I called ship services. A lovely lady there told me we were waitlist number 288 for the 8 p.m. seating but she could immediately put us in to a table for 4 at 8:30. We don't mind eating late and I guess that last seating has the most flexibility. I would much rather eat late and be assured of the table size we want.

Good luck,

A:D

I have found over several HAL cruises that they show all special table requests as "waitlisted" until near the sailing date.

On the other hand, they have always honored our request. We usually request our table by email or snail mail very soon after be have our booking number, usually a few months in advance of sailing date.

If we write, it is to (Ship) Guest Services, HAL, 300 Elliott Avenue, Seattle WA 98119

I would be surprised if you did not get the table for two you requested.

My DH and I feel the same way you do about getting a table just for us, now also for our son. Our routine, both on HAL and Celebrity, is for my DH to to straight to see the Maitre'D once we board and request a table just for us. Usually a nice tip will give you what you need.

what approximately is the amount of a "nice" tip, pray tell?

What approximately is the amount of a "nice" tip, pray tell?

NO TIP IS NECESSARY to request the Maitre d' accomodate your dining request. He will do his best to please everyone. Either he has a table in your preferred configuration available or he does not. There is no need to 'bribe' him.

Tables are assigned by the Maitre d' or his assistant. The seating charts are done toward the end of the preceding cruise.

Assignments are usually made predicated first upon date of booking; whether part of a large group or not; and yes......I think it possible that in the end, a person who paid the high price of a Suite may have their request honored if it is a 'tie' between people having booked around the same time as them who are in a lower category cabin. Another small 'perk' for the high fare paid.

We have found simply making our request politely and briefly works fine. Remember that not everyone's request can be granted. We've made change requests twice and have noted a few passengers who are pushy, demanding, and take way too much time. This doesn't go over well with others waiting to see the maitre'd and very possibly isn't well recieved by the him either.

I think it possible that in the end, a person who paid the high price of a Suite may have their request honored if it is a 'tie' between people having booked around the same time as them who are in a lower category cabin. Another small 'perk' for the high fare paid.

I can tell you from personal experience that being in a Deluxe Verandah Suite doesn't have any pull in the dining room. Unlike the others who've posted, we actually like the company at dinner on a cruise. So we got sat at a table for 8 but never had any tablemates. And we didn't like being right next to the serving station area. We asked the Maitre D if he could move us. We saw several empty tables in more desireable locations. We were told he had "no empty space" to put us. :confused: We appealed to the Hotel Manager. Still no change. After 2 days of that, we decided to eat the rest of our meals on our verandah.

I've requested a table for two on my 3 HAL sailings. I had my wish granted the first time, but not on the last two. As soon as I can get in my room, I get the card with the table assignment and go to the dining room to check. If it's not a table for two, I hunt down the Maitre D' (once he was in the card room, once in the dining room) and state my case. I am very flexible with dining times, so was able to get a change both of the last two cruises. (Not a desirable table, though).

I do agree with S7S on *when* the actual seating chart is made up, and that it is not appropriate to tip the Maitre D'.

think it is tacky.

These people work very hard to accomodate everyones request and it is not always easy.

Btw, our table for 2 was really a 4 seater and multiple times the manager tried to seat another couple with us. We wouldn't have said anything but it was the older age 60-70 couples that ran the other way from us...

I also want to note since I posted about our table being taken away, now that I recall we were 2 at a 4 seater and they gave it to two couples...

I wouldn't want the Dinning Room Manager position.

I´m sure this is a naive question, but here goes. The issue of a table for two is oft repeated in these forums. Isn´t it possible for the ships reconfigure their dining rooms to add more of them? We paid $410 for a special package on the Amsterdam. Included in that package was the following language " a guaranteed table for two". Upon boarding we found that were asigned a table for eight. Despite showing the package information to the asst. dining room manager, including our paid receipt from AMEX, he was absolutely inflexible. " Sorry, they are all assigned." It took a conversation with his boss to rectify this His answer was that they had never heard of this package! They then took a table for four and separated it by about 10 inches. Ah well, it was a wonderful cruise. So, why not spare everyone, including staff, this frustration and re-configure the room just a bit. There must be some good reasons.:confused:

It sounds like a simple solution but I doubt it is phsically quite as easy as we'd like to think. Designers spent hours laying out those tables. They have "x" number of passengers on the cruise and every passenger has to have an assigned dining seat. Service stations are firmly secured and certainly cannot be moved. There is only so much floor space. There is the extensive open space on the second level, which gives the dining room a much airier feel than it would have if it did not exist. The tables are set out and that is where they stay.

The Maitre d's work so hard to try to please as many pax as possible. Most cruises they succeed admirably. Sometimes there are a few people who simply are not going to be satisified.....try as they will. It's a law of physics.....Only one solid can occupy the same space at the same time. Only one person can sit in the same chair at the same time. There are a fixed number of tables for two and that is all there are.

My comments about Maitre d's apply only to HAL. What Maitre d's (Dining Room Managers) are doing on other cruise lines could be a whole different thing. My experience with other cruise lines is not very current.

My comments about Maitre d's apply only to HAL. What Maitre d's (Dining Room Managers) are doing on other cruise lines could be a whole different thing. My experience with other cruise lines is not very current.

We found the Maitre d' on the Infinity to be equally as accommodating as HAL's.

Nice to hear that, Dave.

Our last time on Celebrity, which was some time ago, the only time we saw Maitre d' was the last night when he came by wanting to know if there was anything we wanted. Now?? You want to know if we want something now? Where have you been the whole cruise?

NEVER had that happen on an HAL ship. Not ever.

I´m sure this is a naive question, but here goes. The issue of a table for two is oft repeated in these forums. Isn´t it possible for the ships reconfigure their dining rooms to add more of them?

...So, why not spare everyone, including staff, this frustration and re-configure the room just a bit. There must be some good reasons.:confused:

Ever notice that space is at a premium aboard ships?

Staterooms are smaller, corridors are narrower, ceilings are lower and lobbies are smaller than those in land-based hotels.

That's why most tables are set up for groups of 6, 8 or even 10 people - to serve the largest number of people in the smallest available space. (Years ago on many ships, there were no tables for 2!)

More tables for two? What would be the correct number? Every cruise on every ship is different: some cruises have higher demand for larger tables and others have higher demand for smaller tables - it's just the luck of the draw. In addition, most if not all dining tables are bolted to the floor - they cannot be moved about like those at your neighborhood bistro.

Personally, I'd be bored-to-death at a table for two. IMO, part of the cruise experience is meeting new people, socializing and getting to know folks that you might not ever have met in your day to day routine - that's what makes larger tables so much more entertaining. After all, you never hear big peals of laughter coming from tables for two - only the larger tables...

Archived