laundry facilities on Millennium?

MomC

I was wondering if there are laundry facilities on the Millennium. We will be on a 12 night cruise with a week in Tuscany ahead of that. If no laundry, how reasonable are the dry cleaning prices? Does anyone have a list of them?

Thanks in advance to all of you savvy cruise critic folks.

Mom C

There are no self service laundry facilities on any Celebrity ships, that I know of. They are great for a long cruise or if you are doing a b2b cruise. As for prices for laundry services, I don't know what the prices are but I am sure some one knows what the cost would be. Whatever they are I am sure they will be more than a self serve laundry.

Sounds like you have a great cruise scheduled. Enjoy.

I was wondering if there are laundry facilities on the Millennium. We will be on a 12 night cruise with a week in Tuscany ahead of that. If no laundry, how reasonable are the dry cleaning prices? Does anyone have a list of them?

Thanks in advance to all of you savvy cruise critic folks.

Mom C

No self service laundry. Prices are similar to most hotels; not cheap!!!

Mom C,

Nope, no self service laundry on the Millie. I'd try to do some laundry in Tuscany before boarding if possible, if I were you. At least a load of underwear, t-shirts and socks! We did a 12-night on Millie last August (family of 5) and used the laundry service and were pleased with the quality. I think we spent maybe $30 on laundry and it was worth it...both because I didn't have to spend time doing the laundry and so that we didn't have to bring more luggage. However, I did bring a small bottle of Tide and did wash some items in my sink (bathing suits, underwear, bras, socks...nothing big) and dried them hanging in the shower or on the balcony. The fees for dry cleaned items are similar to prices at home, but laundry...well it was $1.00 for each underwear or pair of socks, so it would add up quick.

It's a fantastic trip and well....so what if you and your family re-wear clothes a little more than normal!

Enjoy,

Lynne

No hotel I've every been in charges the extremely reasonable prices that Celebrity does for dry cleaning and laundry! Celebrity's prices are about 1/2 to 1/4 what hotels charge!

I agree, the prices are comparable to what I pay at home and for that reason I often don't have things done at home but wait until I get on the ship.

One of the many extra perks on Princess, that we really miss when on Celebrity, is the self service laundry on several decks.

We had free self serve laundry facilities on our first cruise ... it seemed like a bonus until I thought about how much money we had spent to go on the cruise and how many better ways there were to spend my time than in the laundry room :)

You must not have read all of my post and missed the part where I said I toss the clothes in and go have a drink and then repeat the process on the dry cycle. I thought it was a great way to multi-task! Some of us are on a budget, even when cruising, so the self-service laundry offered by Princess and a few other cruise lines is a big bonus to many of us.

The cost of two drinks each during the wash and dry cycles would cover the cost of my laundry bill .... I would forego the drinks and pay to have my laundry done ;)

I can easily get to way over $135 for the cost of laundry for two, for the second week on a two week cruise.
But you just said that you travel on a budget, even when on a cruise ... I guess you meant a big budget ;)

Doesn't Celebrity offer that deal like other cruise lines offer? Sometime during the cruise either the middle or near the end to fill a bag with dirty laundry for one set price? That is a good deal.

We did a Holland American cruise to Alaska last June. They had a deal with unlimited laundry for like $50 or so for the week. We were traveling with 3 kids it was great.

I agree with the poster who said to bring along a small bottle of Tide and do your socks and underwear and bathing suits and such in the sink. You can put them out on the balcony to dry. If you have a suite, you can throw them in the tub and turn the jacuzzi jets on: instant washing machine.

I've used the ship's laundry for dress shirts; they do a good job. The only problem is that they dont do starch if you happen to like your shirts with a lot of body.

Justin

The lack of self service laundry can be a real problem on a long cruise. We are doing a 14 day Mediterranean cuise this year and I get nightmares thinking about packing. The biggest problem will be not exceeding the 50 pound weight limit on the airlines nd still have enough clothing for 14 days. To make matters worse, we're going in November so clothing will have to be a little heavier for the cooler temps.X should really think about this issue when planning new ships. I don't know if the older ones could be rerofitted.

The lack of self service laundry can be a real problem on a long cruise. We are doing a 14 day Mediterranean cuise this year and I get nightmares thinking about packing. The biggest problem will be not exceeding the 50 pound weight limit on the airlines nd still have enough clothing for 14 days. To make matters worse, we're going in November so clothing will have to be a little heavier for the cooler temps.X should really think about this issue when planning new ships. I don't know if the older ones could be retrofitted.

The lack of self service laundry can be a real problem on a long cruise. We are doing a 14 day Mediterranean cuise this year and I get nightmares thinking about packing. The biggest problem will be not exceeding the 50 pound weight limit on the airlines nd still have enough clothing for 14 days. To make matters worse, we're going in November so clothing will have to be a little heavier for the cooler temps.X should really think about this issue when planning new ships. I don't know if the older ones could be retrofitted.

If you bring enough clothes for 14 days, you will likely exceed the 50 lb. weight limit, so why not buy fewer clothes, pack less, and pay to have some laundry done?

NCL ships have the self serve laundry. On two cruises I could never get any laundry done because there was always a line. So I ended up paying for my laundry. So IMHO the self serve laundry isn't much of a perk!

tha tis why when I use the self service laundry on the lines that have them-I do it on a port day.

As another poster noted, go to the Celebrity website for pricing. It is not that bad. We had 3 days in London, prior to our 14-day Baltic cruise and took enough clothes for about 7-8 days. We used the laundry service for underwear, shirts etc. We did not find it expensive and will definitely do it again. (The shirts were wonderfully done.) You have to remember, too, when trying to cut down on what to bring, that days at sea may very well be spent mostly in bathing attire, rather than streetwear, and that sometimes, a shirt, for example, may only be worn for a couple of hours, and so can easily be worn again before laundering. This helps in planning what to take, and in cutting down on packing.

One thing I learned on that trip: weigh your suitcases before you go to avoid the over-50-pound limit. BUT ALSO pay attentionor photograph or list what is in which suitcase. I forgot, and just packed up for the return home, with the largest case 8 kg (17+pounds) overweight at an extra cost of $35 or so. The other case was well UNDER 50 pounds, but that matters not. It is a rip-off by the airlines that a passenger's total luggage weight is not considered, and, for all the good it will do, I wrote Air Canada about that.

One thing I learned on that trip: weigh your suitcases before you go to avoid the over-50-pound limit. BUT ALSO pay attentionor photograph or list what is in which suitcase. I forgot, and just packed up for the return home, with the largest case 8 kg (17+pounds) overweight at an extra cost of $35 or so. The other case was well UNDER 50 pounds, but that matters not. It is a rip-off by the airlines that a passenger's total luggage weight is not considered, and, for all the good it will do, I wrote Air Canada about that.

That is one thing the hand held luggage scale is good for - you can weigh your suitcases at home on a scale, but I find it invaluable for the return trip.

We were on the Mercury last week and they did offer a "laundry deal" on the last sea day. I don't remember the price, but it was a flat price for all you could stuff in their bag. It didn't lighten the packing, but you could go home with clean clothes if you desired.

As far as dry cleaning, my wife tells me it's chaper to clean my tux on the ship than it is here at home. Instead of having it dry-cleaned before the next cruise I may just cram it in a suitcase and have it cleaned the first day of the cruise.

Archived