Renewal Of Vows Onboard

Marie50

Has anyone done this? If so, was it worth the price of $129 per couple and is it well organized? Sounds nice, but I would like to have some first hand reviews before booking............We will be on the Noordam in March...........thanks

My wife and I did the ROV on the Oosterdam last April. It was great.

It was held in the Oak Room, a small room just off of the Crow's Nest lounge. When we arrived, there was a string quartet and several waiters serving champaigne and hors d'oeuvres.

There were two other couples doing it the same time we did. The Captain said a few general words of greeting and leadin to the ceremony. Then he called each couple to the podium individually and had us recite a set of vows. I suppose that, if you wished, you could compose your own vows, but he had vows already.

The ship's photographers were there and took several pictures of us with the captain. Although the description of the ceremony only mentions one photograph, we were given several. We got a nice certificate, the photographs, an album that is nicer than the one they sell in the photo shop, flowers in our cabin and dinner for two at the Pinnacle.

The ceremony was not long or overly fancy, but it was very nice and in very good taste. Overall, we thought it was worth the price. Incidentaly, I believe that the price has risen to $149 with the recent increase in the price of dinner in the Pinnacle. Still worth it, IMHO.

The ceremony is scheduled "at the captain's convenience". For us, it was after a day at the beach in Mazatlan. I understand that some captains do things a little differently, but that ours was very typical.

Enjoy!

Yes it is worth the money, we just had it done on 1/17 on th Oosterdam for the 2nd time, spend the money and enjoy,it is worth 20 bucks to chat with the captian,you get flowers in your cabin, ,a meal at the pinnacle, pictures with the captan, I could go on and on.

Our Renewal of Vows ceremony was very much like Paul's (Noblepa) description.

We were on the Westerdam in September (Alaska Cruise). Although, we didn't have a string quartet, the keyboardist we did have did a nice job. Our renewal took place in the Oak Room on our last formal night at about 7 PM.

The Captian spent about 10 minutes with each couple prior to the ceremony just chatting. The ceremony itself was brief, but very special. You should receive a copy of the words the captian spoke

Like Noblepa's experience, there were 3 couples all celebrating their 25th anniversay. There was lots of champagne and hors d'oeuvres. We received a lovely album (large) with 4-5 photos. My flower bouquet was lovely. It was made up of minature white carnations and some greens, shaped in a tight ball. (If you receive your flowers at the beginning of your cruise, keep them in your refigerator to keep them fresh).

The entire experience was wonderful and worth every penny!

Ferry Watcher

I was getting ready to start a new thread and ask the same question, was happy to see this thread. Can anyone answer what people usually wear for this ceremony? Greatly appreciated

We did the ROV pkg on 17/1 sailing on the Noordam. There were 2 other cpls. Earlier descriptions match ours. Many perks for the price and a privileged period withe the Captain. As far as wear, the three cpls were dressed "informal" meaning suits and tie for men and dresses for ladies. Did not have to be formal (tux, evening gown etc.).

When we did it, there were three couples. Two of us were celebrating our thirtieth anniversaries, the third was on their sixtieth!

I wore the suit I brought for formal night. The other 30th couple wore matching flowered (think Hawaii) shirts and the older couple wore a shirt & tie and a nice beaded (not formal) dress. My wife wore a nice, but not formal dress.

In short, its your vacation and your ceremony. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in and what will look good in the photographs you take home.

To me, the ROV ceremony on the ship was not the same as a big church-based affair at home would have been like. In that case, people probably would have dressed much more formally (maybe not). Think of it more as a gathering of close friends that you might meet at a really nice restaurant to celebrate your anniversary. Dress the way you would for that.

Chances are, you won't have many, if any, family members or friends there to share the moment. You will share it with them through the photographs when you return home. How do you want to appear in those photographs? How do you want to remember it, when you think back and look at the pictures, yourself?

We will be doing the Renewal of Vows for our 30th Wedding Anniversary (It seems like many do it for 30 years) on the March 17th sailing of the Oosterdam. It is my understanding that they do it on Thursday the last Formal night so I already know that Tom will be wearing his Tux and I just purchased a formal long fitted dress with a jacket in periwinkle blue which was one of the colors from our wedding 30 years ago. I will also have my Maid of Honor with us and this will be her first cruise. I hope to have many of those traveling in our group in attendence of this. We are definitely looking forward to it and have been planning this for a couple of years. I am sure if there are other couples there they may not be in Formal wear but I know we will be. In October 2005 we had a large group with us and two of them did the Renewal of Vows and both of the ladies dressed Formal, one of the guys wore a Tux and other other a very nice dark suit. Then we all went back to one of the couples cabins (another corner aft) and sat around drinking champagne and played this question game that was almost like a truth or dare. We had so much fun laughing, then that night was also the night of the Dessert Extravaganza so we then heanded to that. We all stayed dressed up all night and we had a blast ending it in the Crow's Nest.

Oh! What Fun! Congratulations to all of you.....we are a very rare breed!

We'll be celebrating our 45th on April 15, on the Oosterdam and we, too, are going to ROV's!

I can't wait....I don't remember much about our wedding....it was a total blur!

Just me, my man and our service dog........what a picture! :p

I surprised my wife with a Renewal of Vows package 4 years ago on the Maasdam (alaska)...

We still look back with fondness about the experience - it was worth every penny!! Every now and then we pull out the photos provided and the Renewal of Vows wording that was provided ....great memory!

I have to admit that I felt like a new Bridegroom during the ceremony and stumbled over the words -- thats OK I can blame it on senility... now :D

We did the ROV for our 25th. back in April on the Veendam. As others have said, flowers in the room, champagne, dinner in the Pinnacle, the chat with the captain. Yes, it was worth every cent.

As for dress, we went formal as we wanted a special photo of the occasion but others wore what they felt comfortable with. There were about 7 or 8 couples. We were amused by the two sets of newlyweds that were renewing after less than a week. ;) At 25 years we were the longest wed couple but I was still as nervous as a school boy. :p

I wasn't aware of this possibility, but I think that my wife would really love it. We will only be celebrating our second anniversary while we are on the cruise, but I think it would be a wonderful surprise for her if I didn't tell her beforehand.

Just to confirm--is it ok / normal to participate this if you're traveling just as a couple without any guests?

Just to confirm--is it ok / normal to participate this if you're traveling just as a couple without any guests?

Most definitely and how nice to surprise her for your second anniversary. I would say most people do not have anyone with them. Also they charge and additional fee per person if you do have invited guests.

I called Guest Services and purchased and paid for this a few weeks ago for our March 17th cruise. I was told that you can order this once you get on board. It actually is a bit cheaper but.... you will not receive any flowers either a bouquet in your room or the corsages because they order them in advance and have just enough for those that have preordered it. Which is why they charge a bit less once on board.

We did the ROV just last week on the Westerdam Southern Caribbean cruise. I booked through Onboard Gifts a month or so before the cruise. Everything (flowers, Pinnacle Grill, photos) was acknowledged by card when we arrived in our cabin. The event was held in the Oak Room (quite a lovely room with a fireplace) at 7:30 pm the day we were in Curacao. This evening was a casual night. Three couples had signed up before the cruise and one couple signed up onboard. No one wore a tux. Jackets or dress shirts for the men and ladies had dressy short dresses/slacks. Only one couple had additional people there. The event was as described above. Captain Harris visited individually with each couple for five minutes before the ceremony began. It was lovely event. Well worth the $149 price for all that was included

When we did the ROV on Oosterdam, we were the only couple of the three that had any guests. So, don't feel that you can't do it if you're travelling by yourselves.

As to scheduling, we were told that it is scheduled "at the captain's convenience". On our cruise (saturday to saturday), it was on Wednesday. This was a port day (Mazatlan) and was NOT the second formal night. It may fall on formal night on your cruise, but that is not guaranteed, so if you're counting on it being formal night, you might be disappointed.

If you book it ahead of time, the flowers, a bottle of wine and an invitation will be in your cabin when you board. That will tell you when the ceremony is scheduled.

Just a note of caution, which is not limited to the ROV ceremony: take proof that you have booked ahead of time with you. In our case, they had the reservation for us to participate, but they did not have any record that I had paid for four guests. I had forgotten to bring such proof. I didn't realize the omission until long after we had sailed at 5:00pm. The Seattle offices were closed and the next day was Easter Sunday! I was prepared to pay for the four guests on board and straighten it out with Seattle when I got home, but they actually found someone working in Seattle on Sunday and confirmed our guests. It would have been easier if I had brought the confirmation.

Paul, thanks for the info that your ROV was not on a Formal night ont he Oosterdam. I just asked DH if it was a casual night would we still dress up and he would wear his Tux and said "Well Yes" then he joked "oh you mean I can wear my hawaiin shirt, shorts and sandals?" So I guess I will need to rethink what I will pack because I know the dress I want to wear and DH will just wear his Tux one more night. I do hope that they hold ours the last Formal night:)

My hubby and I renewed our vows on the ryndam dec 2004. There was one other couple and they had some guests with them. The ship closed one of the lounges and served chamgane and wonderful canapes. The captain was so sweet because he departs from his usual service to ask each person why they would renew their vows, He left the podium speechless when i replyed I would marry my husband again because he moves over in bed to make room for my great dane.

go for it..there is no way to pur a price tag on memories

vickie in phoenix

carnival holiday 1998

r4 tahiti 2000

rnydam 2004

monarch of the seas 2005

navigator of the seas 2005

norwegian dream 2006

star flyer greek islands 2006:) :) :) :)

diamond princess april 2007

hal oosterdam june 2007

We will be renewing our vows onboard the Oosterdam, in April, with my service dog, Brenda!

She is an integral part of our life.....and, we don't have to pay extra for her as our guest!!!!!!!! How great is that?????

She's a black/lab who goes where we go!!!!!!! And has been on more cruises than most of my friends! :p

Archived