Paradise Beach. . . with a Toddler?

KimberlyC

Ok, I know there are lots of threads re: PB, and i've tried to gather as much info as possible, but I have some Q's specific to PB with a toddler just shy of 3. I know it doesn't have a pool which I'd prefer but I'm thinking Playa Mia may not be for us. There are 4 ships in that day including 2 Carnival which I understand offer excursions to Playa Mia, 1 RC and our ship - DCL Magic. Of course we are last to arrive. So we can't be first to the beach but I'd like to be able to get a couple of chairs and an umbrella.

What's the likelihood of getting chairs and umbrella at PB if we don't arrive until 11:30 or so? Charge for umbrella? I don't mind paying but I'm an Irish girl and gotta have some shade - its kind of a deal breaker.

What ages are the water toys good for? DS is adventurous but I don't want him to get hurt even if we are right there trampolining with him.

What is the spacewalker bungee? Sounds like something I might like?

Are waiters pretty prevalent on the beach because I can't watch my kid if I'm constantly having to get up for a fruity beverage ;)

Is there a gradual or steep dropoff into the ocean? Rocky or pretty safe for little feet?

Beach towels, is it true they don't have them, can't rent them?

Parasailing and if yes, beach or boat launch? Banana Boat? Massages? After all if DS is entertained and behaving well, maybe DH and I can take turns sneaking off for fun and relaxation for ourselves.

I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations? Thanks!

Ok, I know there are lots of threads re: PB, and i've tried to gather as much info as possible, but I have some Q's specific to PB with a toddler just shy of 3. I know it doesn't have a pool which I'd prefer but I'm thinking Playa Mia may not be for us. There are 4 ships in that day including 2 Carnival which I understand offer excursions to Playa Mia, 1 RC and our ship - DCL Magic. Of course we are last to arrive. So we can't be first to the beach but I'd like to be able to get a couple of chairs and an umbrella.

What's the likelihood of getting chairs and umbrella at PB if we don't arrive until 11:30 or so? Charge for umbrella? I don't mind paying but I'm an Irish girl and gotta have some shade - its kind of a deal breaker. You shouldn't have a problem as they have umbrella's every 4 chairs.

What ages are the water toys good for? DS is adventurous but I don't want him to get hurt even if we are right there trampolining with him. Other than maybe you, or your husband taking the little one on the kyack I dont see that you would want to purchase a band for the little one as the trampoline and ice berg are kinda far out.

What is the spacewalker bungee? Sounds like something I might like?

Are waiters pretty prevalent on the beach because I can't watch my kid if I'm constantly having to get up for a fruity beverage ;) Yes, no need to get up

Is there a gradual or steep dropoff into the ocean? Rocky or pretty safe for little feet? Gradual, rocky area is over by the pier, but most of the chairs are not over there.

Beach towels, is it true they don't have them, can't rent them? Nope, no towels, but the ship will let you bring one.

Parasailing and if yes, beach or boat launch? Banana Boat? Massages? After all if DS is entertained and behaving well, maybe DH and I can take turns sneaking off for fun and relaxation for ourselves. Yes all of the above, and you are launched from the boat.

I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations? Thanks!

Have a great trip!!!

We went to Paradise Beach two years ago with kids 5,5,4 and just turned 3. They all had a great time; they mostly just played in the sand and water, didn't really need the beach toys or the bracelet to use them at their age. You'd have to be with your toddler to use the trampoline, etc., and I'd suggest you bring a life jacket if you take him out that far.

We got there about 10 and had no trouble getting four chairs together, which we all shared. There is no charge for using the chairs, though they like you to buy food/drinks. There were always waiters around, though they didn't bother you if you didn't want anything. The slope to the water was gradual and fine for small kids; this was pre-Wilma, so although I have heard that the beach is getting back to normal there, I can't tell you how much it has changed since we were there.

There is plenty to do for adults, and you could easily take turns doing activities if you wanted. We had a very nice, relaxing day and it was perfect for the kids.

We went to Paradise Beach two years ago with kids 5,5,4 and just turned 3. They all had a great time; they mostly just played in the sand and water, didn't really need the beach toys or the bracelet to use them at their age. You'd have to be with your toddler to use the trampoline, etc., and I'd suggest you bring a life jacket if you take him out that far.

We got there about 10 and had no trouble getting four chairs together, which we all shared. There is no charge for using the chairs, though they like you to buy food/drinks. There were always waiters around, though they didn't bother you if you didn't want anything. The slope to the water was gradual and fine for small kids; this was pre-Wilma, so although I have heard that the beach is getting back to normal there, I can't tell you how much it has changed since we were there.

There is plenty to do for adults, and you could easily take turns doing activities if you wanted. We had a very nice, relaxing day and it was perfect for the kids.

Did your kids want to use the water toys? I'm just afraid if DS sees them, he'll want to use them but I won't want him too if he's too small.

Here are some pics. for you. Our daughter was 14 and 16 mos. at that time (we went twice) and my son was 9. We plan on going back on our Dec. cruise. My now 11 yr. old son is on a trampoline (gymnastics) team and is dying to try his routine on their trampoline!

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1232320166061183369ajZpLz

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1232320230061183369wZcGin

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1232320280061183369tseMGC

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1232320394061183369HBJOIT

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1232321247061183369vRtEaP

The iceberg would probably be too hard for a 4 yr. old. The trampoline would probably be fine, but you'd need to get him out there. They do have life vests, float mats, and kayaks that he'd be able to use. We brought sand toys from home.

Hope this helps!

The only water toy out the day we were there was the water trampoline, and to be honest, I'm not sure any of the little kids even noticed it. It's a ways out, not too close to shore. Of course, there were four of them (cousins and siblings) and they were having so much fun with each other in the sand and water, that's all they cared about. We didn't buy them arm bands; they did play with a couple of boogie boards that someone had left near us; they played in the shallows only, but we brought their swim vests that they are used to along and they wore them when in the water.

We also had a 13-year-old along who did use the trampoline,

a little, We adults just relaxed on the beach. We've done most of the other type of activities, snorkeling, kayaking, etc., before, so we mostly wanted a nice relaxing day with the kids.

Sounds like you were there awhile back, pre Wilma....recent posts have confirmed that they do now require $10 per person/child food/drink purchase, which is not bad or unreasonable. I am sure that most people would spend that, however, the old "chairs are free etc" seems to not be the rule, so people should be prepared.

Paradise Beach seems to be very popular with families and probably a good choice for young kids too. The sand is supposedly nice there, and the kids can play in sand, maybe bring along sand toys/buckets etc. Then you can take baby in the ocean!

as for the pool question.....if the toddler is not toilet trained I don't think you are welcome in the pools, I know that Eduardo and Playa Uvas have confirmed that they do NOT permit swim diapers. I would hope that other places with pools (*Nachi Cocum, etc) would have the same reasonable and safe policy in place...otherwise, I sure would not want to swim there!

These small pools at resorts, and pools on ships are NOT equipped to filter/chlorinate babies with swim diapers....so the ocean is best.

You're right, we were there two years ago, pre-Wilma. I didn't realize the pricing policy had changed, but I think the $10pp charge, for food or use of facilities, is very reasonable; the beach and ambiance was great--it was our favorite day on the cruise.

Sounds like you were there awhile back, pre Wilma....recent posts have confirmed that they do now require $10 per person/child food/drink purchase, which is not bad or unreasonable. I am sure that most people would spend that, however, the old "chairs are free etc" seems to not be the rule, so people should be prepared.

Paradise Beach seems to be very popular with families and probably a good choice for young kids too. The sand is supposedly nice there, and the kids can play in sand, maybe bring along sand toys/buckets etc. Then you can take baby in the ocean!

as for the pool question.....if the toddler is not toilet trained I don't think you are welcome in the pools, I know that Eduardo and Playa Uvas have confirmed that they do NOT permit swim diapers. I would hope that other places with pools (*Nachi Cocum, etc) would have the same reasonable and safe policy in place...otherwise, I sure would not want to swim there!

These small pools at resorts, and pools on ships are NOT equipped to filter/chlorinate babies with swim diapers....so the ocean is best.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware that CDC regulations don't permit swim diapers on cruise ships so we have been working hard to potty train our son before we cruise. Some hotels permit swim diapers, some don't. I understand that and find it perfectly acceptable. The pool was really for me (not a fan of the ocean). That's why I don't mind so much that PB doesn't have one. They have fruity cocktails so I'll survive. ;) We'll be at PB for lunch so spending $30 plus $18 or $27 for the water toys (which I may not use but DH and DS will) isn't bad at all IMHO. Even with $24-$30 cab fare its cheaper than the cruise ship excursions which I only use as a last resort - I like the freedom to come and go as I please and every ship excursion I've ever done I feel like we're a herd of cattle!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware that CDC regulations don't permit swim diapers on cruise ships so we have been working hard to potty train our son before we cruise. Some hotels permit swim diapers, some don't. I understand that and find it perfectly acceptable. The pool was really for me (not a fan of the ocean). That's why I don't mind so much that PB doesn't have one. They have fruity cocktails so I'll survive. ;) We'll be at PB for lunch so spending $30 plus $18 or $27 for the water toys (which I may not use but DH and DS will) isn't bad at all IMHO. Even with $24-$30 cab fare its cheaper than the cruise ship excursions which I only use as a last resort - I like the freedom to come and go as I please and every ship excursion I've ever done I feel like we're a herd of cattle!

Hope you have a great trip, and say hello to Tom for me.

• 8 years later...
I read a couple posts above that PB does not have a pool.... it looks like they do on their website, did that change?

PB has a HUGE pool - but I'm not sure that toddlers who are not toilet trained are welcome in the pool. :confused:

Ok, I know there are lots of threads re: PB, and i've tried to gather as much info as possible, but I have some Q's specific to PB with a toddler just shy of 3. I know it doesn't have a pool which I'd prefer but I'm thinking Playa Mia may not be for us.

They DO have a pool. In fact, it's a pretty nice one. There is no "kiddie" pool, though.

I was just there last year ... so to clarify pricing ...

$3 per person admission covers the use of all chairs, loungers, umbrellas, etc

$15 per person "upcharge" for the use of the toys (kayaks, inflatables, etc)

There is an expectation that you will spend $10 per person in food/drink. How hard is that? That's a couple of margaritas and what's the beach without a few? :)

I read a couple posts above that PB does not have a pool.... it looks like they do on their website, did that change?

That thread was from 2007! Yes, they built a very large beautiful pool a few years ago. See photo.

8f2b30a34f2b976ef7c5724b94fac5fd.jpgj

Edited by Charles4515