Live from the Noordam ~ 2/7 to 2/17

innlady1

Just want to take a minute to report in Live from the Noordam!

We having a fine cruise, the weather has been wonderful, and the seas calm...relatively speaking. It's smooth as glass now, and hasn't been bad at all. Navy Chief, you were right on the money!

We had our Meet and Greet at the Piano Bar yesterday and met lots of wonderful folks. About 30 people attended. HAL goofed and forgot the coffee, tea, & cookies they assured me would be provided. I spoke with the Front Desk and told them we plan to get together for lunch the last sea day, so we'll see if they do anything special then.

What a beautiful ship. We ate in the Lido on Wednesday as we were exhausted, having gotten up at 4 AM to begin our journey. Last night was our 1st night in the dining room...we had lunch there today, and I couldn't believe that our waiter from dinner greeted both DH and I by first name. Amazing!

Formal night tonight, and the people we're traveling with decided upon the Pinnacle Grill (much to my dismay after reading somewhat negative reviews here on dinner there), but I'm outnumbered.

It was about 60 degrees and sunny yesterday, about 80 degrees today...who can complain? :D

I wanted to weigh in because we missed a LIVE report from the folks on the prior cruise!

Grand Turk tomorrow.

Innlady

Glad to hear you are having a good time and the weather is fine and the seas are calm. Have a great time at Grand Turk ... it is really a beautiful place. Enjoy every minute of your cruise. For some reason, imo, the days just seem to go so much faster when you are on a ship. Can't wait til we read more about your adventure!

So happy the Seas are calm for you this week. The Ship sounds beautiful. We will be doing your itinerary on the 28th. Thank You for taking the time to update us on your cruise. Will be waiting to hear how your trip is going. Have a wonderful Cruise and make many Happy Memories. IKE

We were at Grand Turk today and are now heading to Tortola. Grand Turk is lovely. We did the hop on/hop off bus which I wouldn't recommend. But that's just me. We completely missed Cockburn Town...the info wasn't clear and we thought it was at the next stop. Did see the lighthouse and the jail. And got a feel for the island. The new cruise center is beautiful, and I think, it I had it to do over again, I would use this as a beach day and stay put at the beautiful beach and facilities there!

The seas are very smooth, no waves at all...just little ripples...the sky is blue, and its almost 80 even now! Can't ask for more than that! We've lucked out...so far.

More later...have to do three laps around the Promenade Deck before consuming more calories! :D :D

I will write a full report when I get home...when it's on my dime! ;)

Innlady

Hello Innlady1,

I noticed that you're from MA, and am wondering if you took the HAL transfer bus from South Station to NY, or did you drive/fly to NY? We are taking the bus transfer and are just wondering. thanks, Elaine

PS: you picked a great week to be in warm weather!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Thank you INNLADY for your reports. My wife and I , will be on the Noordam April 11 .

I understand that you took the Hal bus from the Boston South Station . We are thinking about doing the same. We can book it until 21 days prior to the departure. Let us know how did it go.

I am glad that you are having a wonderful time .

Yesterday Boston had miserable weather. Freezing rain , sleet and the temperature falling towards zero overnight . This morning the all area looked like a solid block of ice . Towards the West and the North it was large amounts of snow. They were talking about up to 2 feet by the ski country .

That was what you missed by being on your cruise.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to report on your cruise on Noordam! Have a great time!

PS

If you happen to run in to Cira and her husband (Caribbean Girl here), please tell them I said hi and that the kids are fine and throwing nighly big bash parties back home in Amish Country;)

innlady1 ... thanks for your messages. I can't wait to read more upon your return. NY and the whole northeast has been blasted with frigid weather while you were gone but they say it might go up to 37 tomorrow for your return. HAVE A SAFE TRIP HOME to Massachusetts!

Thanks for all your well wishes! We returned today to a warmed up New England. :eek:

Ice everywhere. Even in our gutters and the rain...then ice...blew out the light beside our back door!

Having said that, nothing can dampen the wonderful memories of the Noordam. And, yes, it was a great 10 days to be away from this weather. At least today it is above freezing!

You asked about the bus from South Station to NYC. It worked like a charm and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. We left the pier today at 10:30 and arrived safe and sound in Boston at 3:30, with stops in New Haven, New London, and Providence! Our driver on the way to NYC 10 days ago was a little odd; we sat in the front seat and he designated me co-pilot. He was new to the route so asked me directions. :confused: A little unsettling! He made for a lot of laughs and we all agreed that he needed his own sit-com!

The driver today was the ultimate professional, and we were all glad we had a "new" guy in charge of the bus.

For those of you sailing on the Noordam, you will love her!

More later...once I unpack! :rolleyes:

Sheila

"Innlady"

Hi Sheila,

I still haven't unpacked. I got home, went to the post office and to the supermarket and then unpacked my carry on. Too tired to tackle the big suitcase. But, look at a few posts above(a new thread). I wrote my review while Sam slept. I won't unpack the rest till tomorrow. We were in the house about 10:15. I have a picture of us coming into port this am. If you see this before tomorrow am, go to the intrepid web site. They have an archive for 24 hours and you can see us arriving.

I know Sam saved all his bedtime chocolates and there will be one on my pillow this evening. There must be a God on that ship because I lost a pound. Can you believe that. I finally found a diet that works!:D :D

Thanks for taking the time and effort to report on your cruise on Noordam! Have a great time!

PS

If you happen to run in to Cira and her husband (Caribbean Girl here), please tell them I said hi and that the kids are fine and throwing nighly big bash parties back home in Amish Country;)

Wow, Copperoozies!! What a GREAT time we had on the Noordam!! With 12 to 17 foot seas at the very end, I was in my glory...little chicken that I am!!:rolleyes: Definetely a blast...we met a bunch of really fun folks, too! Next time, we'll sail from San Diego with you both!!:p

Hi Sheila,

I still haven't unpacked. I got home, went to the post office and to the supermarket and then unpacked my carry on. Too tired to tackle the big suitcase. But, look at a few posts above(a new thread). I wrote my review while Sam slept. I won't unpack the rest till tomorrow. We were in the house about 10:15. I have a picture of us coming into port this am. If you see this before tomorrow am, go to the intrepid web site. They have an archive for 24 hours and you can see us arriving.

I know Sam saved all his bedtime chocolates and there will be one on my pillow this evening. There must be a God on that ship because I lost a pound. Can you believe that. I finally found a diet that works!:D :D

Congratulations, Carol! Aren't you lucky!!! It's back on South Beach today for us. I don't think I gained on the cruise...but I know I didn't lose! Meeting all of you on our Roll Call was such a bonus on our cruise.

Are you going to post your review in the review section? I hope so....great review!

And now I must go to the intrepid site!

Sheila

I am waiting for a response from them before posting because they ask for your email address and I don't think I want to post it out there for the whole world to see. It does ask if you want it to show up in the review, and I said no, but when it went to the next screen and asked you to write, there it was. So, I emailed them on how to do it without the address and will see what happens.

Now the big suitcase is on the bed so I can't sleep tonight until I unpack.

South Beach, here I come anyway since this was a gift and there's lots more to go.

Carol

Glad to hear your enjoying the cruise thus far. Wish I was back aboard again. :(

Navy Chief, the seas were as you said: calm and non-threatening on our cruise.:D I was so happy even on the way back to NYC when the waves were about 17 feet and the conditions were reported as being 'rough'. It was actually quite comfortable for me, though I suspect some pax may have had a tough time. I think everyone is correct in saying that the Noordam takes the water nicely. And kudos also to Captain Scott~he did a tremendous job!! After experiencing hurricane gale winds on another trip, this was such a pleasure. When we arrived in NY yesterday, the report was that the sea was 'glassy'...what a pleasure for those folks getting on...I am tres jealous!! Thanks for reassuring all of us.:)

(Hello Sheila and Carol...back to reality for us, eh?:o It WAS a wonderful trip, though!!)

Actually, Cira, I had no idea the waves were that high. I had a bit of difficulty the first day out, but nothing the last. It was a wonderful trip and it is certainly back to reality. I finished unpacking! Nothing to do but live in the real world for now and dream about the next cruise.

Archived