After the Emerald, what's next?

TorontoTL

After the Emerald Princess is launched this spring, what is next for Princess in terms of new builds. I thought that there was yet another sister to the Crown/Emerald that was to be built, but that isn't listed in the new ships section anymore. Do you think Princess will have a completely new class of ship next? If they do have a new class, will they build something larger than the Crown, or hopefully smaller more like the Coral/Island? I noticed that Costa has a smaller ship on order about 92,000 tons. Hopefully that means that Carnival does see the utility in building smaller ships still for it's lines. Hopefully they will have a new smaller class of ships in the pipeline for Princess.

I don't know about new ships, but I am hoping that Princess will add a few more smaller ships (like the Pacific and Royal)to her fleet for those of us who prefer the smaller ship feel. We are going on the Grand this summer and she will be the largest ship we have been on to date. It wasn't because we wanted to, but because she was the only ship doing that particular route. if the Royal was doing it, I'd just ship in a minute.

just my thoughts

Charlie

I would really like to see Princess do more of the Coral/Island size. After the newly built Crown, then Emerald, then the unnamed ship which looks like it will be the size of the previous two it will be time to build a smaller size. Pretty soon they are going to run out of ships that can go through the Canal. We are losing the Sun in Oct. the Dawn is pretty much west coast and that leaves the Coral/Island as the Sea and the Royal do not go through the Canal. They have other itinieries. We also lose the Regal in Sept. They do say they are going to enlarge the Canal but hey that is way down the road.

Marilyn

I don't suppose we will ever know why Princess did not exercise its option for two more ships of the Coral class, other than its general dissatisfaction with Chantiers' Shipbuilding's work.

Another Carnival subsidiary, Aida (Germany) has four ships abuilding, 68,500 Gross Tonnage, but with a high passenger load. I think those are being built by Meyerwerft, Germany.

Perhaps some bright bean counter at Princess will suggest taking that basic hull form and modifying the cabin layout/superstructure to fit Princess' style of cruising.

I don't suppose we will ever know why Princess did not exercise its option for two more ships of the Coral class, other than its general dissatisfaction with Chantiers' Shipbuilding's work.

Another Carnival subsidiary, Aida (Germany) has four ships abuilding, 68,500 Gross Tonnage, but with a high passenger load. I think those are being built by Meyerwerft, Germany.

Perhaps some bright bean counter at Princess will suggest taking that basic hull form and modifying the cabin layout/superstructure to fit Princess' style of cruising.

I was also thinking that they could consider using the Vista Class hull from HAL and modifying it somewhat like what they are doing for the QE2 but making the changes for a more Princess like ship. One can only hope the next Princess ship won't be bigger, but instead smaller and better. I do like the new design philosophy on the Crown though with the Italian touches.

Archived