Are the safes SAFE???

mommybunny21

Leaving on the Noordam next Saturday and wondering if I should take the jewels that are in my safe with me or the jewels I leave out??What have been your experiences???

The safes onboard are industry standard 4-number combination safes. Not high security but adequate for most uses. The Front Office also has lock boxes available which you could use instead if you prefer.

If you are flying in I would be more concerned about loosing jewelry from your baggage than the safe in your cabin.

The safes onboard are industry standard 4-number combination safes. Not high security but adequate for most uses. The Front Office also has lock boxes available which you could use instead if you prefer.

If you are flying in I would be more concerned about loosing jewelry from your baggage than the safe in your cabin.

Thanks for the info on the lock boxes-thats what I'll do..

We always use the safe in the cabin, either the 4-digit or "credit card" lock models, without any problem. Agree that we never, ever wear expensive jewelery or watches when off the ship. Of course none of it goes in our checked bags and is always with us in a carry-on from home to ship and return.

We leave cash, jewelry, credit cards in the safe and have never had a problem nor have we ever heard (from a credible source) of anyone else having a problem.

We always keep any valuables in either our carryons or my purse when traveling. NEVER pack cash or jewelry in a checked suitcase.

Hi, I’d say I believed my tablemate on my last cruise with her stolen jewelry incident. She was a frequent HAL cruiser and was on the last part of a back 2 back on the Noordam. All I know is that she reported jewelry stolen from her stateroom, that she wasn’t sure of the timeframe, and security thoroughly searched her stateroom and took a report. I don’t remember if she said it was taken from the safe or if she perhaps left it unlocked. Never the less, she reported it as a crime and was despondent at “taking too much with her.”

Either way, it would be interesting to see the security reports and how often these things occur, but that would be bad for business I’m sure. ;)

Be careful, have a great cruise,

Mark….

Hi, I’d say I believed my tablemate on my last cruise with her stolen jewelry incident. She was a frequent HAL cruiser and was on the last part of a back 2 back on the Noordam. All I know is that she reported jewelry stolen from her stateroom, that she wasn’t sure of the timeframe, and security thoroughly searched her stateroom and took a report. I don’t remember if she said it was taken from the safe or if she perhaps left it unlocked. Never the less, she reported it as a crime and was despondent at “taking too much with her.”

If it really were stolen, it would be incredibly easy to find out who did it since all stateroom doorlocks have a memory of who's keycard was used to open the door for the past X number of days...

If it really were stolen, it would be incredibly easy to find out who did it since all stateroom doorlocks have a memory of who's keycard was used to open the door for the past X number of days...

Hey Brian, yea, she mentioned that, it sounded like security told her about that, but I don’t know what became of it. She didn’t suspect the cabin steward. She was maybe a bit embarrassed and I didn’t pry, it was all in loose conversation. She said security was on their hands and knees searching the room. I doubt she lost it, she seemed too astute. She also said not everything was taken, but all the rest is speculative. I general though, I would guess cruise lines don’t have to release security information unless subpoenaed.

Mark….

The safe in the closet was certainly big enough for our needs - we filled it with a cellphone, 2 wallets, the passports, cash, all prescription drugs, jewelry case & probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Remember to lock it a night so that the safe door doesn't bang against the closet door should the seas rise up a bit. ;) One of you will wake up saying what the *** was that? :eek:

I felt very comfortable leaving my laptop out on the desk or table. There's no place to really secure it but I guess I could have "hidden" it under the bed or in the closet. Just didn't feel the need to. :)

The new safes with the combo locks and even the ones used before that which required a credit card swipe to open and close are safe! (no pun intended) Once again, common sense rules! Lock your safe when not using it and after you have retrieved/returned the valuables you are keeping in there. If you get the ones with the credit card swipe (not sure if HAL is still using them) don't leave your credit card laying around.

Lock your cabin door after you vacate your cabin and double check that the lock has been engaged. How many of you have walked the hallways only to find some cabin doors slightly ajar 'cause the lock did not catch and the guests are elsewhere.

Believe me, there are no "roving gangs" of HAL room stewards maliciously ripping off their guests and/or in possession of elaborate schemes to open cabin safes. If there were, that plot would come to a screeching halt when guest cabins assigned to that room steward or stewards kept having money and/or valuables disappear on more than one cruise.

Is there thievery on cruise ships at times? I would think so but IMHO it's certaibly not an epidemic and the ones that occur are acts of opportunity i.e. folks leaving "stuff" out in the open (or honestly forgetting them) on decks, in restaurants and possibly in their cabins with the doors open/unlocked. Don't know if you've noticed but whenever your room steward is cleaning your cabin, the door is propped open with a door stop (similar to hotels on land). If you were to find one (or anyone else for that matter including a passenger) inside your cabin with the door closed, pick up the phone and report it immediately!

No need to get all worried about theft and or room safes. folks - enjoy your cruise!:)

We were staying in the Royal Suite on Celebrity's Zenith. We had been out of the cabin most of the morning and when I returned I saw the door was open and assumed the steward was cleaning.

He was in the cabin for sure, but he wasn't cleaning. There was a couple there and he was taking photos of them in the Suite. I guess they planned to go home and impress their friends or whatever.

I was flabbergasted. After giving him 'the look' and him shooing them out the door, we 'had a little talk'. I did not report him but made him wait in the dining room (out of sight of the safe in the bedroom area) while I went to the safe to ascertain everything in there was undisturbed. Everything was fine in the safe.

I advised him that I had an offer for him he could refuse if he chose.

He could come with me to the Front Office/Hotel Manager and we would explain what had just occured or he could provide us with the best service he had ever been capable of in his career as a steward.

Boy did we have service on that cruise!!! I waited for just the right moment to tell DH about it because I really didn't want to turn the guy in but DH needed to be told.

(The fellow charged people a few dollars to let them come in and take pictures. I wonder how many 'souvenirs' how many of these peepers took along with them on their way out?? Either property of the cruise line or the guest.)

We were staying in the Royal Suite on Celebrity's Zenith. We had been out of the cabin most of the morning and when I returned I saw the door was open and assumed the steward was cleaning.

He was in the cabin for sure, but he wasn't cleaning. There was a couple there and he was taking photos of them in the Suite. I guess they planned to go home and impress their friends or whatever.

I was flabbergasted. After giving him 'the look' and him shooing them out the door, we 'had a little talk'. I did not report him but made him wait in the dining room (out of sight of the safe in the bedroom area) while I went to the safe to ascertain everything in there was undisturbed. Everything was fine in the safe.

He could come with me to the Front Office/Hotel Manager and we would explain what had just occured or he could provide us with the best service he had ever been capable of in his career as a steward.

Boy did we have service on that cruise!!! I waited for just the right moment to tell DH about it because I really didn't want to turn the guy in but DH needed to be told.

(The fellow charged people a few dollars to let them come in and take pictures. I wonder how many 'souvenirs' how many of these peepers took along with them on their way out?? Either property of the cruise line or the guest.)

I understand not wanting to report the guy, but what's going to prevent him from doing it again on the next cruise?

--Denise

I understand not wanting to report the guy, but what's going to prevent him from doing it again on the next cruise?

--Denise

I agree he must have thanked his lucky stars by escaping what would have certainly been dismissal by giving the guests some extra service. His actions in giving other people unauthorized access to your suite is totally unacceptable. Who else had he allowed in? The next cruise, or even whilst you were there, he was probably back to giving paid tours to your or adjacent suites.

I agree he must have thanked his lucky stars by escaping what would have certainly been dismissal by giving the guests some extra service. His actions in giving other people unauthorized access to your suite is totally unacceptable. Who else had he allowed in? The next cruise, or even whilst you were there, he was probably back to giving paid tours to your or adjacent suites.

You could be right?? I simply don't know.

We were so dissatisified with many other facets that ( our last Celebrity cruise) I didn't care to waste any more of my vacation time dealing with their employee problems. That ship at that time on our cruise had plenty of other issues it needed to deal with.

I made a determination I was going to get the most out of that cruise and when I left, I didn't care what went on there. We 'hurried on back' to HAL where we belong.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :) You decided to compound one wrong with another, namely blackmail. I am so glad it worked out for you, hope the next folks in the same cabin were just as lucky as you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :) You decided to compound one wrong with another, namely blackmail. I am so glad it worked out for you, hope the next folks in the same cabin were just as lucky as you.

And I can't resist asking if the service he had been receiving was so bad that he had to resort to blackmail in order to get it improved. :) Something about the whole story doesn't ring true, sounds more like an urban legend in the making.:rolleyes:

I didn't call it blackmail.

To my eyes, it was apathy on my part in terms of dealing with their personnel problems.

I was 'fed up' by then and didn't care to waste my energy, on my vacation to deal with him.

I made it 'not my problem'.

If he learned his lesson from the 'close call', then fine. If not...... his supervisor's problem. It was not my responsibility to see that he was disciplined.

Interesting experience s7s. I got to thinking too, if balcony doors were left unlocked, staterooms could be accessed from adjacent balconies. And that would circumvent the stateroom entry/key log. And there is some sort of master key device that opens the safes for when people botch or forget their code.

Well, I got the big eye, I guess all that’s missing is the name Sherlock. :rolleyes::D

I'm just ranting, as Copper said, I wouldn't worry. ;)

Mark…

Archived