Devoted Princess fan trying X Journey

mringenoldus

Although I have currently 2 Princess cruises prior to the end of the year, I saw the opportunity to try the Journey to Bermuda at a good rate with airfare included.

We have tried everything from Voyager class to the Carnival Holiday - but have never been on something as small as the Journey (710 passengers).

I'd like to hear from Princess cruisers as to whether the 2-1 passenger/staff ratio, butler service etc. will appeal to someone who loves Princess.

I also have three other questions:

If I am platinum on RCCL, do I get the same status on Celebrity? II realize this is not truly a Princess question - but thought someone might know)

Is there enough - outside of beaches- to do on Bermuda for 5 days?

Has anyone an opinion on the cr**sew*b travel agency?

Thanks!

I've been on Celebrity, and frankly was not that impressed. Reading what they have planned for Quest and Journey sounds like they are trying to emulate Oceania.

Oceania is a company that does impress me. Great food, great service, great small ships. We've been twice (once on Regatta, once on Nautica) and have a 3rd booked for next spring (on Regatta for a trans-Atlantic).

Hi Michael!

I'm glad you replied. I've always appreciated your technical knowledge of ships.

Apparently, the Journey used to be the Renaissance R-6. Celebrity is refitting it to have speciality restraunts, large spa, etc.

I'm looking forward to a little different type of cruise - and I think Garrit will like it because he's all about the ship (the ports are just icing for him). He's always said he wanted to try something small and sedate.

Hi Maureen,

Sounds like a great opportunity! I would definitely do it. I think you would love the size of the ship - I know I would.

What month/sailing is this great rate on? I just looked and it looks like Sept/Oct have some great prices. I think it looks good! I hope you do it.

Theresa

Hi Theresa!

Hearing from both you and Michael makes it feel like old friends week!

I booked October 6 (fall school break) The price of the balcony was $1299 with an additional $199 for airfare and transfers. The agency has also thown in a $100 spa credit.

I've never worked with this agency before but from their website it looks like they do a lot of Celebrity booking.

Hi Maureen,

I would love to try on the R Ships - I think that class of ship will be fantastic. Especially in Bermuda where you don't want to be on a large ship. I just looked at Celebrity's website and they have those prices minus the spa credit and my air was significantly more.

I am keeping my fall open. I am eyeing a Europe cruise that had an excellent flash special last year and am hoping history repeats itself this year.

You will have to let me know what you think of the R ship when you return.

Theresa

The Journey & Quest are sisters to the Tahitian Princess & Pacific Princess and having recently sailed on the TP, I can say I prefer the smaller ships. There was never any waiting and someone was there to help all the time.

Noticed you have been on the Ecstacy, which I was on last week, and it felt huge , tacky and well..cheap. Guess I have been spoiled...kept comparing it to the TP and it just didn't measure up.

Check on the Pacific Islands thread for lots of info on the Tahitian & Pacific Princess...both pro & con.

Mike

http://web.mac.com/csealove/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

My understanding of the RCCL/Celebrity thing is that they reciprocate your membership status (ahem: something the Carnival group should do). I have sailed X before (Century) and really enjoyed it - DW and I thought that the entertainment was exceptional.

Jerry

Is the Journey going to be all-inclusive like the Celebrity Xpedition? If so, and if the level of service even comes close to the Xpedition, it will be a wonderful cruise! We've been on Celebrity Infinity - it was ok. Xpedition was amazing. And, I'm a Princess fan!

I don't think that it is as inclusive as the Xpedition. However, it seems to me that all cabins get some of the amenities that are given to suites on Princess.

Some friends and I did the Ecstacy a few years back on the short hop to Ensenada. The Ecstacy is particularly tack with all the neon and chrome...but we had a good time!

I don't think that it is as inclusive as the Xpedition. However, it seems to me that all cabins get some of the amenities that are given to suites on Princess.

Some friends and I did the Ecstacy a few years back on the short hop to Ensenada. The Ecstacy is particularly tack with all the neon and chrome...but we had a good time!

Having been on the TP I think that this is a great size ship for Bermuda. There have been no good choices in my opinion as of late. I was hoping that Princess would bring one of the R ships over to do this run...

The Crown doesn't spend enough time in Bermuda- it is a port rather than a destination. Did it on the Zenith and did NOT like that ship. Only time I have felt so negatively about a ship.

casey12

I'm a litle surprised at the reserved attitude on this board towards Celebrity. I know in the "good old days", they had great cuisine. But I thought most people acknowledged them as a decent cruise like. I know the Infinity always scores well on Conde Nast ratings.

Have you been to Bermuda? What did you think of it as a destination (since we will spend a number of nights there)?

In the last two years I have been on Celebrity cruises on the M-class ships and I am also a Princess cheerleaders. I booked Celebrity because where we wanted to go the itiniery suited us. We had no problems with the Infinity and the Constellation. In fact I will be on the Infinity this coming May to Alaska out of S.F. for 13 nites. We found the food o.k. You know food is so subjective so i will not go into that but I will say I think the food on both Celebrity and Princess are about the same. Some things Princess does well and other things Celebrity does weel. Just go and enjoy Bermuda. I also wish that Princess would go to Bermuda for a cruise and not just a port stop.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn!

All of you have made me feel better about jumping on this so quickly. Surprisingly, it was my husband who was eager to go for it.

Marilyn - I'm sure you will have a great cruise to Alaska. The Infinity often scores right up there with the more elite cruiselines. Have fun!!

Thanks Maureen. you know you will always have the nay sayers for every cruiseline. you just go and have a great time. I know I will in Alaska. 4th trip up there. There are some people who have had some bad experiences on Celebrity; in fact on Princess too but hey go ahead and enjoy yourself.

Marilyn

We did X's Zenith to Bermuda a few times and had great cruises. Bermuda is beautiful and there is a lot to do, I can't say enough great things about it.

Unfortunatley, we will not be doing Journey to Bermuda because now the prices are DOUBLE what they were a year ago on Zenith. :( I know Journey is supposed to be more luxury, but to me the Bermuda itinerary doesn't need some of those extras as you are off the ship most days and evenings enjoying Bermuda.

Oh well, this fall we are going Coral Princess to Alaska--and guess what-- the cruise rate is the same as it would be for us to go Journey to Bermuda with the same class room.

I am sure you will love the X experience we did. :)

cachecara

We were on the Coral in May from San Francisco to Vancouver. It's a very nice mid-sized ship. We liked it well enough to book her sister, the Island Princess, for a Panama trip in December.

The bonus for us on the Journey was the $199 airfare/transfers from Phoenix. For my husband, the ship is the destination, and he really wanted to try some thing small. I'm glad to hear that you liked Bermuda as well.

We've never done anything that remained in a port for more than one night. Now I' starting to get less worried and more excited about this!!

We have 21 Princess cruises and 7 Celebrity. Princess is more generous to us and that keeps us coming back. We like Celebrity. It's classy and the food has more of a French flair, Princess more Italian. Love them both. It's nice to switch to see different shows and menus once in a while. The itinerary draws us most of the time. I'd love to try a R class ship once. We liked the old Pacific and Royal Princess ships and it's wonderful to be on a small ship now and then.

Archived