dress code

two country folk

hello out there .looking for advice. my husband and i are going on our first ever cruise in may on the millie in the med.But we have decided not to dress up on the formal nights ,we are both retired now and love 5star service on holidays we dress smart casual its been a long time since we dressed up formal and we said thankfully never again,---So is there anyone else like us out there and if so where did you eat those nights as we still dont want to miss out on the fun.Can we do everything else ----smart casual dress on those nights [shows etc] thanking you for any advice you can give. kath

First, formal does not mean tux. A dark suit and nice outfit for you would be fine. While it is not adhered to by a number of people, fyi, many people remain in the dress of the evening throughout the ship after dinner, including the shows, on Celebrity.

Yes, you can eat in the buffet area for "informal" dining. A tip of $2 per person is requested.

Yes, you can eat in the buffet area for "informal" dining. A tip of $2 per person is requested.

They ask for a tip each time you use the buffet? I've never heard of that. I haven't sailed Celbrity but even NCL with totally open seating doesn't request that.:confused:

Mr. Lee:

The $2.00 is a service charge for the informal dining in the buffet area on Celebrity ships. It is not a buffet but a sit down dinner that just happens to be held in the buffet area. Celebrity does not have a buffet for dinner on any of their ships. There of course is no charge for the buffet for lunch and breakfast.

hello out there .looking for advice. my husband and i are going on our first ever cruise in may on the millie in the med.But we have decided not to dress up on the formal nights ,we are both retired now and love 5star service on holidays we dress smart casual its been a long time since we dressed up formal and we said thankfully never again,---So is there anyone else like us out there and if so where did you eat those nights as we still dont want to miss out on the fun.Can we do everything else ----smart casual dress on those nights [shows etc] thanking you for any advice you can give. kath

Celebrity is more formal than many other cruise lines and because of this you MAY be denied entry into the dining room and some of the other venues (showroom) etc, on the ship. As someone else stated, on the Celebrity dailies you will see that the dress is for the evening and not just for dinner. I have seen people denied entry personally into the dining room and the theater so if someone tells you it doesn't happen they are simply telling what they observed. Many others on this board have seen this done on the ships.

Just to clarify in case of confusion, Celebrity does not have a buffet on any of their ships for dinner fleetwide. There is a casual dining in the buffet area but it is a sit down dinner with a different menu than that in the dining room.

You may also get the regular dining room menu from room service during dining room hours. If you are in a suite it will be delivered by course, if in a regular cabin, all at once. Other options are sushi, a grill area and pizza. Some other dining options are available depending on the class of ship.

As a disclaimer because these clothing threads get contentious, I am just advising you of the options and not expressing any opinion as to your particular clothing desires.

What are the options available if one does not wish to dress up for formal nights? Is the buffet dinner an option and what is the dress code.

I know that a lot of people find the formal nights add a touch of class to the trip, however, I'm sure that many, including myself feel that we should have options. I've heard you miss out on the "good" food if you choose the alternate options is this the case? And I don't know if I want to remain in formal clothing past dinner and into the evening with shows.

Celebrity is really the most "formal" of all the mass market cruise lines cruising in the Med. By formal I don't mean tuxes and long gowns, but the passengers do adhere to the dress code, and for the most part, it's for the entire evening, and not just dinner. You will find very few who will be in casual clothes in the theater or dancing venues on formal nights or informal/semi formal nights. Plus, since this is your first cruise, you probably don't realize that by skipping dinner in the main dining room because you only desire casual clothing, you're missing the best part of a cruise experience---the excellent food, wonderful service and the beautiful ambience the dining room provides. You're paying for all that, so why skip it because of clothing. It's really simple to dress for formal night. At a minimum your husband will need dress shirt and slacks, tie and jacket. You will need, at the very least, a nice dress or pantsuit that's a little more dressy than what you'd wear to work---think of a nice wedding outfit. Lot's of retirees cruise, and they seem to love the dressing up aspect of a cruise. Don't stress over this, but also, don't miss all the great things Celebrity's dining experience offers just because you want casual.

Since, as I said before, Celebrity is the most dressy of all the mass market lines, you might feel out of place when going to the shows or clubs wearing casual clothing as not many Celebrity passengers do that. And yes, if you skip the dining room and do the alternate casual dining up on Deck 10, the food isn't at all the same. While it is sit down, you're not going to get anywhere near what they serve in the main dining room.

What are the options available if one does not wish to dress up for formal nights? Is the buffet dinner an option and what is the dress code.

I know that a lot of people find the formal nights add a touch of class to the trip, however, I'm sure that many, including myself feel that we should have options. I've heard you miss out on the "good" food if you choose the alternate options is this the case? And I don't know if I want to remain in formal clothing past dinner and into the evening with shows.

There is no buffet dinner, only a sit down dinner with waiters in the buffet area. This is informal dress but the dress code outside of that area is pretty much formal for the evening. Some do not stay in the formal dress after dinner but most do. I can tell you that I had to change one time because my son spilled a soda on me at dinner and I felt out of place the rest of the evening. More people dress for dinner on Celebrity ships than other cruise lines.

Thanks for the advice, I've heard the same, if you go to the alternate dining locations on any night you won't get the same quality of food. I guess I'm more of a casual type of guy, but this is what you get if you want to upgrade to a higher caliber cruiseline I suppose! Another thing to pack, I'll have to bring my dark suit as well as a dinner jacket, it'll take up room in my luggage (and I think its too expensive to rent on board!).

Hello, Celebrity does not offer a Buffet for dinner on any

of the ships.

There is an area set up on the lido deck (aft of the actual buffet area)

for informal dining. You are served off of a menu and the dress

is casual attire. A 2.00 per person tip is suggested.

I can't give you a first hand account of the food, as I have always

eaten in the Main Dining room or Specialty Restaurants on the

M-class ships.

As for dressing up, that is one of the things I enjoy so I always

stay dressed for the entire evening.

On our last Celebrity cruise we ate at the casual dining area in the buffet area and the food was top notch. I was very surprised. They change the menu every 3 days. You get a choice of your entree, a beef dish, pasta, chicken, pork and seafood. You have a choice of 2 appetizers, salad, soup and dessert. It was very very enjoyable. No complaints from me at all. The staff work very hard to make the casual dining area a pleasure. It is sorth the $2.00; in fact eve more. They do suggest that you make reservations the day before or early that morning. You also have a choice of either going to the grill for hamburgs, the pasta station where they have pasta and salad and pizza. There are alot of choices if you wish not to go to the dining room. These are all casual dress.

Marilyn

Thanks for the advice, I've heard the same, if you go to the alternate dining locations on any night you won't get the same quality of food. I guess I'm more of a casual type of guy, but this is what you get if you want to upgrade to a higher caliber cruiseline I suppose! Another thing to pack, I'll have to bring my dark suit as well as a dinner jacket, it'll take up room in my luggage (and I think its too expensive to rent on board!).

My partner and I (5 night Western Carib on Century in April) also prefer more casual dress on vacations, so we plan to bring only sports jackets and slacks for the "informal" nights in the dining room and specialty restaurant, and have dinner on our balcony on the "formal" night. If we did not have a balcony room, I suspect we would choose the informal dining venue that night. We think this way we will be able to enjoy both a relaxing casual cruise as well as all of the dining venues and good food available.

David

My partner and I (5 night Western Carib on Century in April) also prefer more casual dress on vacations, so we plan to bring only sports jackets and slacks for the "informal" nights in the dining room and specialty restaurant, and have dinner on our balcony on the "formal" night. If we did not have a balcony room, I suspect we would choose the informal dining venue that night. We think this way we will be able to enjoy both a relaxing casual cruise as well as all of the dining venues and good food available.

David

Thanks David, I'm taking my mom on this cruise and it is our first on Celebrity so trying to read as many posts as possible to prepare. There is so much to take in and if you don't know stuff before you board, its easy to miss alot of things. I wish I could afford a balcony or a better suite, but unfortunately could only afford an inside room. I will be dining in the restaurant, but I'm hearing varied things in terms of alternate casual dining with respect to the food quality and menu. If it isn't as good, we'll definitely do the dress up thing, for me personally, I'm glad there are only 3 formal nights! :)

Question regarding casual dinning option. Are you seated with others or can you request to be seated alone?

You can be seated alone. They have tables for 2, 4 and more. No problem.

Marilyn

We are just back from Mercury to the MR and sat at a table for 8 with only 4 other people. They have cruised a lot, but not on Celeb., and decided not to go formal, not realizing the implications. The first two formal nights, they ate in the casual dining venue and we sat by ourselves. The didn't go to any of the shows, but probably didn't stay in their rooms either. When they found out what food had been offered in the dining room that they hadn't been offered in the casual dining, they were disappointed. The food in the casual dining was good, but not the same. The man had been looking forward to the filet mignon and was bummed that he didn't get it. But, much to our surprise, they all came to the final formal night so as not to miss the lobster. They looked dressy enough to me. I had told them that there were several men who wore light-colored sport coats on formal night and no one seemed to mind. His was dark and could have passed for a suit coat. My DH, after 10 days of cruise food, had a problem buttoning his suit pants and wore his black casual pants with dress shirt, tie and suit coat and no one noticed. He left his coat in the cabin that night and no one barred him from the theater. He didn't wear his coat on the last informal night, either. (Imagine us rebels at 65 and 62 :eek:) I saw people dressed in casual/smart casual clothes in the theater on formal nights. Personally, I prefer to change after formal dinner and we always do on RCI. The new Celebrity ships will not have formal night or specific seatings. I do like the main seating time and am not keen on trying open seating for dinner.

I predict that within the next few years formal nights will be a thing of the past. I don't really care one way or the other. There must be other things to obsess over. :D

kath,

hello out there .looking for advice. my husband and i are going on our first ever cruise in may on the millie in the med.But we have decided not to dress up on the formal nights ,we are both retired now and love 5star service on holidays we dress smart casual its been a long time since we dressed up formal and we said thankfully never again,---So is there anyone else like us out there and if so where did you eat those nights as we still dont want to miss out on the fun.Can we do everything else ----smart casual dress on those nights [shows etc] thanking you for any advice you can give.

Let me give it to you straight. Celebrity is absolutely the worst possible choice of cruise lines if you don't want to dress for "formal" and "informal" evenings. Yes, there is "alternative casual dining" with full table service but a different menu than the main dining room, held in the buffet area, but there is very little in the way of "alternative casual entertainment" and the evening dress code applies throughout the ship, except in the designated casual areas. You may well find out that your only option for entertainment are reruns of old movies and television shows and "pay per view" movies on your cabin's television. At least half of the evenings on a Celebrity cruise are either "formal" or "informal" so you'll miss out on a LOT of the shows and other evening activities if you don't conform. Also, the overwhelming majority of Celebrity's passengers not only conform to the prescribed dress codes, but also expect others to do so -- and this is especially true on European cruises.. If you "crash the party" in improper attire, you probably will get a lot of dirty stares and cold shoulders that would make most people feel very oncomforable. If you are not going to dress properly for these evenings, you really would be better off on another line. And if your travel agent was aware that you don't want to dress for the "formal" and "informal" evenings and did not try to dissuade you from booking on Celebrity, your best bet is to cancel the booking and rebook through a different travel agent who is not nearly so clueless.

Now, there are some better options that you might want to consider.

>> 1. Norwegian Cruise Line advertises "formal optional" evenings rather than "formal" evenings, with very good options -- both dining and entertainment -- for those who don't want to dress up.

>> 2. Disney Cruise Line is a strictly casual product in the "premium" segment of the market. Disney now deploys a ship to Europe for the summer. By all accounts, Disney is great for adults as well as for children.

>> 3. Oceana Cruises is an "adults only" line that operates an "all casual" policy on smaller, more intimate, ships than its larger competitors. IIRC, Oceana is deploying two ships to Europe for the summer season. It's fares are higher, but more inclusive, than those of the major lines.

>> 4. Several of the other major lines, including Princess Cruises, have dropped the "informal" evenings and reduced the number of "formal" evenings, so there would be only two or three "formal" evenings when you would have to opt for the "casual" alternative.

Again, any of these options would be better for you than Celebrity.

To reaffirm what many of the other posters have already said, I also want to point out that the dining staff pull out all the stops (yes, much more so than on other evenings!) and the cruise lines generally stage their best production shows on the "formal" evenings. Many of the cruise lines also hold very classy special events on these evenings. If you cruise on these lines and don't participate in the "formal" evenings, you really do miss out on the best that the cruise line has to offer.

Norm.

quote:

"The new Celebrity ships will not have formal night or specific seatings"

Is this a 100% certainty? They have already determined the dress

code and seatings for the ships that haven't been built yet?:eek: :( :confused:

Hi Guys

Whilst on this subject of "formal" wear, I picked up my "gown" from the dress shop at the weekend and am now having second thoughts. I bought it last October but left it in the shop since the hem needed taking up and I was on a diet to make it fit better and the assistant said to come back nearer the time I wanted it for a fitting.

So had the fitting last week and picked it up Saturday. When I got it home and tried it on in front of my husband he was totally gob smacked. He said "are you sure its not tooooooo formal"?

Let me try and describe it - it is a strapless gown and the top is very fitted - picture a corset type top with laces at the back and a bit of whale boning to keep it up, but the skirt is very chiffony with a few layers of material so it is sort of A line. Obviously down to the floor in length. The colour is burgundy.

I am now having second thoughts on this. Has anyone been on a cruise and seen someone wear a ball gown that is totally inappropriate on formal nights.

We chose Celebrity mainly for their "formal" nights and when I bought the gown I just loved it. However, since bringing it home and walzing around the house I am having doubts about the approrpiateness of it.

Maybe some of you could re assure me that it will not be considered too over the top?????

quote:

"The new Celebrity ships will not have formal night or specific seatings"

Is this a 100% certainty? They have already determined the dress

code and seatings for the ships that haven't been built yet?:eek: :

( :confused:

Hi Lois;

There will not be a formal dress on the Journey or Quest, nothing has been determined either way about the Solestice Class ships. They will probably be the same as the rest of the fleet except J @Q until such time as that changes.

Let me try and describe it - it is a strapless gown and the top is very fitted - picture a corset type top with laces at the back and a bit of whale boning to keep it up, but the skirt is very chiffony with a few layers of material so it is sort of A line. Obviously down to the floor in length. The colour is burgundy.

It sounds perct for formal night. Wear it. You will be a smash.

Archived