St. Peter Port, Guernsey

Alice1203

Any suggestions for tour guide and/or tours for St. Peters Port, Guernsey?

Can't help with a guide as I just walked all over town even though I was there on a bank holiday and all was closed...it was still a delighful place to wander.I am sure if you want to see more of the island you could hire a cab,but maybe someone else will have more info re a tour for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know of any tour companies in guernsey. The biggest taxi company is delta taxis (www.delta.co.uk). They may have suggestions for you.

Im sure the tourist information office would also be able to help (www.visitguernsey.com).

Alternatively if you just want to travel round the island for an hour, the number 7 bus goes right round the island - every 30 mins I believe. A ticket costs 60p per person and that will take you on a full loop. However if you get off at any point then you will need to buy another ticket (60p) each time you board.

St Peter Port is also well worth exploring. It is very picturesque with some lovely bars, cafes and restaurants.

Let me know if I can be of any further help

We were in Guernsey last summer, unexpectedly. We should have docked in Jersey but were rerouted. Because of this we were more or less totally unprepared re information, tours etc.

The tourist info office had staff at the dock just where you arrive in off the tenders. The main office is only 5 mins walk from the end of the pier, to the left, and the main bus station a further 5 mins walk. The tourist info staff were really friendly and very helpful. They gave us loads of info including maps and transport info.

Like many many others, we took the bus which runs around the island. 50 pence per person. What a bargain. Gave us a "coastal" overview, but we did not have enough time left over to take another 50 pence ride inland to see the countryside. We strolled around town for the time we had left. It was pretty enough but small, although there is little to do there. Some people loved it. Thought it one of their best port days.

FWIW, the last time I was in Guernsey on a cruise ship call, we arranged to rent a car. From the tender dock, we jumped in a taxi to go up to the airport, where we picked up the car. We drove around the island for the day, stopping wherever took our fancy - a great day out. Dropping off the car at the airport at the end of the day and jumping in a taxi back to town was very simple.

Does anyone have a local contact that would like to be a tour guide for several hours ?

Alice- Are you on the Constellation ?

Also need idea's for night before cruise from Southhampton. Thinking of staying in Brighton, anyone have advise on smaller country side / sea side

stays ? All thoughts welcome

You tender to the pier. It is right in the middle of the town, next to the marina.

The cruise boats and ferries heading to other islands leave from the same dock.

When you reach the end of the pier/jetty the Tourist info office is 2 mins walk left, the bus station another couple of mins from there. Shopping streets are right opposite the pier.

Yes, the tenders arrive pretty much in the middle of town. St Peter Port is not that big and it's very easy to explore on foot.

I called into the tourist information office today and they have emailed me a list of accredited tour guides. If anyone wants this then I am more than happy to forward it, alternatively just contact the tourist information office directly (website is on one of my earlier posts).

Finally the buses that have been mentioned are part of the public transport system. Bus number 7 is the one that circles the island.

Hope this is helpful

• 2 weeks later...
I called into the tourist information office today and they have emailed me a list of accredited tour guides. If anyone wants this then I am more than happy to forward it, alternatively just contact the tourist information office directly (website is on one of my earlier posts).

Thanks togger for calling the tourist information.

I appreciate if you can forward the list as I will visit St Peter Port 04.05.2007 by NORWEGIAN DREAM.

Some more questions please:

Is there a ferry line which pass the cruise ship so you can make great photos of the NORWEGIAN DREAM??

Or any other good place someone can recommend for shipspotters?

I remember when I collected stamps that Guernsey had own stamps... do they have also an own currency/bills/coins? Is GBP official currency? Due to the distance to France - Is Euro widely accepted?

Thanks for your suggestions and answers.

Regards,

HeinBloed

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard.de

Please replace nickname by my nickname in the forum!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello HeinBloed

I hope I can answer some of your questions.

The ship tenders in St Peter Port and so it should be possible to get some good photos from the tenders. Alternatively the Herm ferry should pass fairly close to the ship. Herm is about a 20 min ferry ride from St Peter Port. There are regular ferries. You may also be able to get some good photos from the ends of any of the town's piers.

Yes, GBP is the official currency in Guernsey. Guernsey does however have its own notes and coins although UK currency is also used. Euros are accepted in some shops but I expect the exchange rates offered would not be too good. I would suggest you stick to GBP.

The cruise you are on was originally being marketed as a gay only cruise - as the ship was being privately chartered. However as NCL are now selling the cruise themselves, I guess the charter didnt work out.

I hope you have a lovely day in guernsey.

Hello togger,

thanks for all your infos.

I appreciate very much.

Due to the low price we convinced my elementary school teacher (83 yo) to test a cruise and she and her husband will come together with us.

So I ordered already a private tour guide and a car to the port (hope that we will be delivered to the Harbour Terminal by the tender boats as I ordered the car there...).

Thanks for sharing the information where to make nice photos.

Indeed I am looking forward to see Guernsey. First time on one of the Channel Islands.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Uff - nothing against gays - as I am myself... but one cruise ship full of them - this would have been too much for me...

Does anyone have a local contact that would like to be a tour guide for several hours ?

Alice- Are you on the Constellation ?

Also need idea's for night before cruise from Southhampton. Thinking of staying in Brighton, anyone have advise on smaller country side / sea side

stays ? All thoughts welcome

A great choice of place to stay! Our city (and yes, we are a city now!) is the hippest you will find outside of London...so much so, Brighton is often called "London by the sea". You will have lots of fun!:) ...and not too far from Southampton. We usually cruise from Southampton and it is not a bad journey down...see if you can stop enroute in Chichester - very interesting with its cathedral.:)

• 2 months later...

Hi! Would love the list of tour guides...will be in Guernsey this July on Grand Princess and am having trouble getting onto the Guernsey website. Many thanks and happy sailing!!

Unfortunately I did not got any response to my request for the list.

Therefore I contacted the Guernsey Tourist Office who replied within 24 hours.

Contact via:

"Sealy, Margaret" Margaret.Sealy@cultureleisure.gov.gg

We had a great tour.

We rented a car of our own. The car was delivered to the tender berth.

There we met our tour guide who get us around.

More impressions from our tour? Click here.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived