Status of the Pinnacle Grill for Lunch

kelmac

We have the Maasdam coming up in March and wanted to eat in the Pinnacle Grill for lunch. This past December, the Westerdam had the Pinnacle closed during lunch and the maitre'd made it sound like HAL was no longer going to offer lunch in this venue.

Does anyone know about the status of lunch?

Seems like very few people ate in the Pinnacle during dinner; most people we spoke to that ate there had free vouchers from their TAs, or from some promotion. The $30 charge is too high for that experience.

Thanks,

Kel

We have the Maasdam coming up in March and wanted to eat in the Pinnacle Grill for lunch. This past December, the Westerdam had the Pinnacle closed during lunch and the maitre'd made it sound like HAL was no longer going to offer lunch in this venue.

Does anyone know about the status of lunch?

Seems like very few people ate in the Pinnacle during dinner; most people we spoke to that ate there had free vouchers from their TAs, or from some promotion. The $30 charge is too high for that experience.

Dear Kel,

While I don't know what's happening aboard the Maasdam right now, but aboard the Noordam last month I had lunch in the Pinnacle Grill and enjoyed it. Actually, I enjoyed the lunch much more than the two dinners I ate there. And, for $15 per-person for lunch, it's a nice "change of pace" and certainly a less-expensive way of trying out the Pinnacle.

What type of offerings are there for lunch? Dinner menu with smaller portions, or a different menu?

Here is the lunch menu for the Pinnacle. In my opinion lunch is the best deal of all. I definitely plan to go in March. We get the Pinnacle for 2 for the evening with oiur ROV package I am hoping to use it for lunch and take my two friends that were in our wedding for lunch instead.

Also Jade13 wrote

Lunch does not have the Filet Mignon

actually they have a great small Filet which is the Sterling Silver Beef Tenderloin. Which is one of the best entrees on the whole ship.

Starters:

Grilled Prawn Bruschetta with a Primavera Salsa (this receipe has been done in all the cooking demostrations on our last several cruises).

Mediterranean Antipasto Plate - Pesto Virgin Olive Oil

Scallops Creme Brulee' - carmalized parmesan wafer

Northwest Five Onion Soup - tomato shallot soubise

Chilled Carrot & Ginger Soup - creme faiche & fried sage

Chifonade of Greens & Tomato Tower Salad - Italian Vinaigrette

Entrees

Pacific Rim Beef Salad - mesclun leaves, mangoes & lotus fruit - crispy siphon noodles

Alaskan Halibut Filet Sandwich - sour dough bread, cilantro relish & cumcumber potato salad

Crab & Shrimp Cake - exotic fruit chutney, lime Thai curry sauce & orange rice with pine nuts

The Pinnacle Burger - apple smoked bacon, cheddar cheese & bistro style shoestring potatoes

;) Sterling Silver Beef Tenderloin with Oregon Blue Cheese Crust - grilled asparagus & scalloped potatoes

Penne with Grilled Chicken Breast - lemon basil sauce, sundried tomatoes & arugula

Vegetarian Couscous - grilled vegetables & fried mint leaves & harissa

Desserts

Fresh strawberries with raspberry sorbet - sugar dough gaufrette

Chocolate Brownie Decadence - an explosion of chocolate

Orange & Lime Panna Cotta

Ice Creams & Sorbets

Fruit Plate

We're boarding Maasdam next Friday (Feb. 23), and I'll check whether they are open for lunch. I hadn't really thought of it before, but that might be a nice option for us, too. We ate at the Pinnacle twice while we were on the Veendam last fall, and while we enjoyed it, neither of us feels that the experience warrants the extra $30pp for a repeat performance.

We are just off the Westerdam. The Pinnacle Grill was open for lunch on two days. We received vouchers from our TA. There were five of us in our group. We all agreed that it was the only bad meal we had on our cruise. The fish sandwich was dry, the carrot soup had virtually no flavor and tasted like baby food, the desserts were disappointing. The service was also poor. The servers were not friendly or helpful. (When we sat down, we were presented with menus which were not all the same. When questioned, the server pointed to my husband's menu and said "His is right, share his.")There was a long wait between courses. I have a serious food allergy and noted that when making the reservation. I was surprised to have a server who could not answer basic questions about the ingredients in the dishes on the menus.

We have eated in the Pinnicle Grill for dinner on the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam. Although our experience was better than on the Westerdam, it still left something to be desired. I won't pay for the experience of the Pinnacle Grill in the future.

Nor will I. We had lunch in the Pinnacle last April on the Oosterdam because we couldn't get reservations at night and we had a voucher from the TA. We were not impressed and would have been really upset if we'd had to pay for it. The service was no where nearly as good as in the dining room or the Lido for that matter. We ate in the alternative restaurant on the Zaandam several years ago, when there was no charge and we decided then that the dining room was better. The only time we had a really good meal in the Pinnacle was a luncheon for the Suites guests with the captain. It was very good and we were quite impressed. But, to pay $30 more, I dont' think so

I totaly agree. We had lunch on the Oosterdam and the service was quite poor. We were ignored for the most part. They came at the begining asked if I wanted a drink I said no and they removed ALL the glasses except the water glass. They removed EVERYONES, including my sister and brother-in-laws who actually wanted a drink. They did bring her wine, with a half full glass for $7.00 and surly waiters. The filet was terrific, best I've had, but it is not worth the money to be treated like someone's poor cousin.

Nana, I think you've hit the nail on the head. We did feel like someone's poor cousin in the Pinnacle on the Westerdam. We thought that maybe they were treating us poorly because they knew we were using vouchers. That seems like an absurd attitude, but how else to expain surly, inattentive waiters?

I do want to stress that we had an excellent trip on the Westerdam. The dining room food and service were outstanding! The Lido was also great.

We were just on the 2/3/07 O'dam cruise. Our TA surprised us with lunch at the Pinnacle Grill. We also felt like poor country cousins. At the end of the meal the waiter had the nerve to say: "You're free to go now".

The portions were very very small. The 2 shrimp and crab cakes they served were excellent but they were the size of silver dollars. I had the tenderloin which was very good but it probably weighed no more than 3 oz. A deck of playing cards is twice as thick as the tenderloin portion I was served. The hamburger seemed to be the best of all as far as portions go. It was a HUGE hamburger patty and very tasty. If I had to pay for the dining experience we had in the Pinnacle Grill - I would have been pretty upset. The food in the Vista Dining Room was every bit as good if not better.

It won't be open for lunch on Embarkation Day if that is what you meant.

Most often, it is only open on sea days for lunch. Some exceptions to that but never Embarkation Day.

On the Veendam in Dec it was open the first sea day but not the second (the last before day disembarkation) and it was open on 3 of the 4 port days. That may have been because of our particular itinerary, or maybe they're experimenting with P.G. lunch hours now.

Archived